From: Jean-David Beyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Shutdown Linux without a keyboard
Date: Sat, 03 Mar 2001 17:40:19 -0500

Hartmann Schaffer wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Marius wrote:
> >Thank you all for your response.
> >I do not want to shut it down over network for 2 reasons:
> >1. This router should not be accessible over any network, for security
> >reasons.
> >2. It is a router in a heterogen environment: win98 and linux. Win and
> >Linux clients use the router. If only the win client is on, it will be
> >difficult to login over ssh. (By the way, other clients will be added
> >(Psion epoc system))
> >3. I would like to stop the router over a simple "button press". (this
> >is fast and easy)
> >
> >I know that there are possibilities with ups programmes (for example
> >greenpower). They check the serial port and shut the machine down when
>
> have you looked how the ups shutdown is done?  (i haven't, but) there must
> be a daemon that is watching the  serial port for a particular message and
> starts the shutdown when it arrives.  you could do something similar on your
> router:  obviously it must be on a network (why else would you need a router),
> so reserve a port for the shutdown/reboot daemon and have the daemon start
> when you boot up the system.  you should be able to configure it so that it
> accepts the request only under predefined conditions (password, list of users,
> list of machines etc).  there are several remote administration utilities
> that could be used as a model for this (check out webmin).

Of course, if you have a UPS running your machine, just pull the plug
on the ups until it shuts your machine down and do not plug it in
until you want it on again.

But even if you do not have a UPS, you could run genpowerd or
something. The interface is to a serial port, and the interface is
quite trivial. You can look here:
http://www.ibiblio.org/mdw/HOWTO/UPS-HOWTO.html for details.

--
 .~.  Jean-David Beyer           Registered Linux User 85642.
 /V\                             Registered Machine    73926.

------------------------------

From: John Hasler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: source for basic utils like ftp/cp/mv... where?
Date: Sat, 3 Mar 2001 20:41:59 GMT

Alex K writes:
> are you unaware about that i was looking for the PLACE where to get the
> original sources, not the sources themselves?

The sources themselves contain that information.
--
John Hasler
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rolie Baldock)
Subject: Re: Installing windows 2000
Date: Sat, 03 Mar 2001 23:06:12 GMT

Hello Jack,

Do you really enjoy being imprisoned?  There are so many resticions in
thes "NEW" O/Ss you might as well be in JAIL. I have studied my
friends and collegues uning various flavours of WINDOZE and this is my
conclusion. We are simply losing the power of choice by following this
path. I have been an assembly language programmer for 36 years and a
P.E.E. for 46 years. The loss of freedom in the computing arena
APALLS(spell check) me.

On Tue, 27 Feb 2001 23:48:18 GMT, "Jack Kaufmann"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I am running Linux (Redhat 7) and windows 98 on separate partitions, with
>LILO on the MBR.  I would like to install Windows 2000 on a third partition,
>and I know it wants to take over the MBR.  Can anyone give me any guidance
>re how to go about it?  Thanks.

--Rolie Baldock.  email:  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Subtract one thousand and nine for direct email

------------------------------

From: Brion Leary <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: { seq 1 200| less ;  } | tee foo # pls fix this
Date: Sat, 03 Mar 2001 18:20:17 -0500

You want to save a record of the session?

See script(1) man page.

script can be run from from a shell script.

- Brion

------------------------------

From: "Pascal Schuppli" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 04 Mar 2001 01:05:08 -0500

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Thank you all for your response. I do not want to shut it down over
> network for 2 reasons:
> 1. This router should not be accessible over any network, for security
> reasons.
> 2. It is a router in a heterogen environment: win98 and linux. Win and
> Linux clients use the router. If only the win client is on, it will be
> difficult to login over ssh. (By the way, other clients will be added
> (Psion epoc system))
> 3. I would like to stop the router over a simple "button press". (this
> is fast and easy)

Hmmm... how about connecting a mouse to the serial port, then write a
short program to invoke the shutdown command when you hit a mouse button?
If the PC has some auto-shutoff functionality, you won't even have to use
the power switch afterwards.

Alternatively - have you considered just using the power switch? As far as
I know, the only problem with shutting down the PC this way is that the
filesystems won't be synchronized, so you might loose data. But you're
only using the system as a router, in other words, stuff is loaded from
the hard drive at startup and nothing much happens afterwards. So there
won't be critical data you might loose, except maybe parts of a log file
now and then.

Also, using the PC as a router won't need much ressources. I heard of a
project called "linux router project" that fits all the needed software on
a single floppy disk. You wouldn't even need a hard disk. In the unlikely
event that something happens to your floppy disk, just make a new one from
a floppy image.

--
Error: Sector not found -- search behind couch? (Y/N)

------------------------------

From: GM <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: HELP bttv BT849A
Date: Sun, 04 Mar 2001 00:40:37 GMT

Please help me to configure the BT849AKPF (HAPPAUGE XTREME) with 7.2
mandrake.

Thanks.
Peppe Minniti

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Date: 4 Mar 2001 01:18:02 GMT

On Sun, 04 Mar 2001 01:05:08 -0500, Pascal Schuppli staggered into the
Black Sun and said:
>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Marius"
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> Thank you all for your response. I do not want to shut it down over
>> network for 2 reasons:
>> 1. This router should not be accessible over any network, for security
>> reasons.
>> 2. It is a router in a heterogen environment: win98 and linux. Win and
>> Linux clients use the router. If only the win client is on, it will be
>> difficult to login over ssh. (By the way, other clients will be added
>> (Psion epoc system))
>> 3. I would like to stop the router over a simple "button press". (this
>> is fast and easy)
>
>Hmmm... how about connecting a mouse to the serial port, then write a
>short program to invoke the shutdown command when you hit a mouse button?
>If the PC has some auto-shutoff functionality, you won't even have to use
>the power switch afterwards.

See the man page for gpm, under "Special commands".  However, the
default behavior requires a semi-complex sequence of mouse clicks.
Fiddling with that would require recompiling gpm--easier than soldering,
no?

>I know, the only problem with shutting down the PC this way is that the
>filesystems won't be synchronized, so you might loose data. But you're

ReiserFS?  At least that'd cut down on fsck time...

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /  Workin' in a code mine, hittin' Ctrl-Alt
http://www.brainbench.com     /   Workin' in a code mine, whoops!
=============================/    I hit a seg fault....

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: comp.unix.shell,comp.unix.admin,comp.sys.sun.admin
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Tom Rodman)
Date: Sun, 04 Mar 2001 01:24:29 GMT

Thanks, maybe "script" hardcoded inside a script *would* work assuming
something like this?:

         script mylog <<-_end_of_here_doc
                less mylongfile
                : place entire remaining script inside this here doc
                _end_of_here_doc

In any case, "script" has not yet been ported to Redhat's Cygwin tools
for WNT yet; I would like a soln for both UNIX and Cygwin.

I'm aware of simple work arounds, I just thought it would be
*fun* if one could somehow inform less of the terminal window
size so it *would* page properly when it was inside a block
that had it's STDOUT/STDERR tee'd to a file.  I thought there
might be a way to do this by saving the STDOUT file handle
"above" the block and then have less re-use that saved
file handle / descriptor- but I'm over my head.. ;->

Again, I just thought this might be a fun problem to solve,
it's not a serious problem.

thanks again,

Tom

------------------------------

From: "alex k" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 4 Mar 2001 03:16:11 +0100

Peter T. Breuer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> Then you should look IN the original source, because that tells you WHO
> THE AUTHOR IS, and HOW TO CONTACT HIM. And you'll find the original
> source in the srpm. You'll also find that the srpm SPEC file contains a
lot
> of other data, like who the maintainer is, where his stuff came from,
> and so on ...

it was a very simple question.
too bad you were unable to give a simple answer.

> blah blah blah. Open your eyes and quit the defending yourself.

huh?
just tried to clarify something.

to all the others who helped me instead, like i think the usenet is for,
i say thanks.

time to quit this:)

  / alex k

------------------------------

From: "John Gill" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: looking for a HOWTO on shell scripting
Date: Sun, 04 Mar 2001 02:40:56 GMT

I know shell scripting is fairly basic to Linux / Unix, but I am looking for
a good source to learn some of the basics, along with Cron setup.  I am
looking for Bash shell.

Thanks,

-- John

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Victor Wagner)
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux,alt.os.linux.redhat,comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.embedded,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.setup,linux.dev.apps,linux.dev.config,linux.redhat,linux.redhat.misc,redhat.config
Subject: Re: how to auto start a console app
Date: 3 Mar 2001 12:13:54 +0300

In comp.os.linux.development.apps Michael Makuch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: I have a linux box dedicated to playing mp3's. I wrote my own app using perl
: and a number of public domain libraries. It's not an X application. It just
: uses ncurses. I'm running RedHat 7.

: I want my app to automatically startup on the console tty1 after bootup. I
: tried adjusting /etc/inittab to run my app instead of mingetty. This appears
: to work at first but there are odd problems that arise in this

It's just becouse some terminal initialization, which is typically
done by getty is neccessary to run curses program.

You have to find other way to initilaze terminal for your app.

Look into manpage for open(1) command. It is what you need.

--
if (instr(buf,sys_errlist[errno]))  /* you don't see this */
             -- Larry Wall in eval.c from the perl source code

------------------------------

From: Scott Nolde <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.security
Subject: Re: IPTables doesn't work (nor IPCHAINS) for kernel 2.4.1
Date: Sun, 04 Mar 2001 03:43:23 GMT

I've built several 2.4.1 kernels using the following RedHat packages:
gcc-2.96-69
glibc-2.2-12

which came from the updates.redhat.com ftp site.  Always use the updated
RPMs.

The kgcc code has been integrated into gcc-2.2-12.

- Scott

--
Never do Windows again with  |  Scott M. Nolde
Linux!  No streaks, haze or  |  [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mike Perry)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help
Subject: Re: A2PS
Date: Sun, 04 Mar 2001 04:01:08 -0000

On Thu, 01 Mar 2001 13:45:32 GMT, Nghi Vo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I have an old HP LaserJet 4 and I use Suse 7.0.
>
>I can print to the raw printer normally.  But for the ascii and auto
>printer, apsfilter will send the print job to a2ps to convert that into
>Postcript file and print to the printer.
>
>The problem is for some reason, the print area only covers a bit bigger
>than 1/4 of the physcial area of a  Letter paper, no matter what options
>I play with the a2ps.
>
>When I view the intermediate Postcript file thru gv, I find that a2ps
>only format the print area to cover exactly what I mentioned above.
>
>Does anyone have any idea what happens ?
>
>This affects the way StarOffice prints as well.  I have a nice document
>in StartOffice, but I can never be able to print the document to cover
>the whole physical page.  The print area only covers a bit bigger than
>1/4 of the page.
>

>Thanks,
>
>Nghi

I gather since you mention SuSE that you are using apsfilter?  Have you
checked out the /etc/apsfilterrc and the /etc/apsfilter.* (for your
printer)?   There are very configuration options in both these files.  I
would also take a look at the SuSE support database off of www.suse.com for
any additional information on the problem you are reporting.  If memory
serves, there is a lot of information on apsfilter printing there.

--
Michael Perry
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Rick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.powerpc,alt.os.linux.mandrake
Subject: fvwm roll-up window shade.
Date: Sat, 03 Mar 2001 23:08:24 -0500

Does anyone know what roll-up window shading is and how it works in
fvwm2? I am hoping it is like window shading in other managers...
double-click on the title bar and the the window "rolls" up till just
the title bar is left.

Any and all info appreciated.
--
Rick

------------------------------

From: Rick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.powerpc,alt.os.linux.mandrake
Subject: fvwm documentation/directions
Date: Sat, 03 Mar 2001 23:10:15 -0500

Can anyone point me to some easy and clear directions on configuring
fvwm2? I am especially interested in pixmaps, gradiens and lines in
title bars, and soem info on just what the warf is and how it works.

Any and all help appreciated.
--
Rick