Date: Sat, 03 Mar 2001 18:27:58 -0700
From: Monte Milanuk <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Could Linux be used in this factory environment ?

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> b) SAPdb, which seems to be on schedule to be available in "open
>    source" form by summer of this year.  It used to be the fairly
>    well-known commercial RDBMS "Adabas-D."

Yeah, but if you think stop to think about it, there's probably a reason
why just about everyone who can afford to promptly drop-kicks SAPdb out
the proverbial door in favor of Oracle.  I'm not enough of a db geek to
get into the hows-n-whys, but I think I'd push PostgreSQL or MySQL
either one before SAPdb.

Monte

Date: Sat, 03 Mar 2001 19:26:49 -0700
From: Monte Milanuk <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: how to make a /pub folder?

Drew Roedersheimer wrote:

> On Sat, 24 Feb 2001 11:00:17 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> >Dear newsgroup,
> >
> >i would like to make a /pub folder, every user is able to access
> >(reading, writing, execute, making new dirs, removing dirs made by other
> >users).
> >
> >How can it be achived, that data written by a user can be modiefied by
> >another one?
> >
> >Thanx in advance, c
> >
> >____________________
> >                    \     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> >Christian Verbeek    \    http://ais.gmd.de/~verbeek
> >Bergstrasse 18a       \   phone: +49 2241 142404
> >53757 Sankt Augustin   \         +49 2241 333041
> >Germany                 \___________________________
>
> Sorry to be so blunt, but:
>
> `man chmod`
>
> (HINT: the key is in the "others or all users" permissions...)
>
> -DR

Also, if you want to make things so that your users can create and do
what ever w/ their own files, do just about everything but delete other
users files, usually I apply a 1777 file permission -- i.e. 'chmod 1777
/pub'

Monte

Date: Sat, 03 Mar 2001 20:01:19 -0700
From: Monte Milanuk <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Clone an Linux machine (how)?

I apologize in advance if I'm saying some thing already covered, my news
server only had the last two messages of the thread.

There are a couple of possibilities that come to mind, but keep in mind
that I've not done these personally (haven't had to yet ).

You could find one of the Linux rescue disks like tomsrtbt or Timo's
Rescue CD, and boot the new machine, prep the hard disk and then connect
to the network, and assuming the original machine is exporting whatever
you need, like the whole filesystem from / on down via NFS, mount that
and copy it across.  Keep in mind that it would be a very good idea to
figure out how to check that you actually got _everything_ copied.
There are various conversations in various newsgroups that cover myriad
ways to accomplish this.  Alternately, you could perhaps set up
something similar, but using rsync.  Along the rsync theme, you could
perhaps set up a kickstart disk (RedHat), save the configuration to a
floppy (SuSE) or use dpkg --get-selections or some such (Debian), do a
fresh install, make sure you have all the packages you need installed,
then boot w/ one of the aforementioned boot disks/CD's and then rsync to
get the other stuff, like custom config files and data files, etc
copied.  Or, assuming the original hard drive and the new one are
identical in size, you could do the boot disk thing, mount the exported
directory, and use dd to get what you want.

There are a lot of different ways of accomplishing this, and probably
there are ones I didn't cover, and blatant errors in the ones I did ;)

Hope it helps,

Monte

From: "Rick Goh" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.unix.programmer
Subject: 2 NICs on 1 machine.
Date: Sun, 4 Mar 2001 12:53:03 +0800

Hello all,
On Client node, I have 2 NICs:
1. 192.168.1.10
2. 192.168.1.20

Server node is connected to Client via a 100mpbs (full-duplex per port)
switch.
1. 192.168.1.1

However, from Server, i can't seem to be able to telnet or ftp into Client.
Please take into account i have inet started and also configured /etc/hosts
, /etc/hosts.allow.

Do i need to configure other files? Am i missing anything here?

Regards.

------------------------------

From: "andylow" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.unix.programmer
Subject: Re: 2 NICs on 1 machine.
Date: Sun, 4 Mar 2001 13:27:38 +0800

What is the netmask you have applied for the 2 IP addresses?

Andy

------------------------------

From: "O'Banion" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Telnet Help
Date: Sun, 04 Mar 2001 05:27:12 GMT

I'm new to the whole Linux world, and I'm trying to enable Telnet on my
Linux Box.  I know this may sound like a silly problem, but if anyone can
give me any advice, I would greatly appreciate it.  I am running Debian 2.2.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Marc D. Williams)
Subject: Re: sawfish/Gnome questions
Date: Sun, 04 Mar 2001 05:39:53 -0000

On Mon, 26 Feb 2001 15:47:04 -1000, Roger Davis wrote:

>However, I still have a broken theme-selector-capplet and need to
>know how to hand-edit my config files to set the theme I want.
>Does anyone know how to do this?

The theme is specified in ~/.gtkrc. You could probably just edit
that to point to a theme's gtkrc file or even make some kind of
script where you could select a theme before starting X/GNOME.
Also I've made a couple of copies of the .gtkrc files
so I can just ``drop in'' or replace a theme in case some other
program/environment overwrites it (say when running KDE and it
overwrites it).
.gtkrc.irix, .gtkrc.notif, etc.

The contents of my current .gtkrc file just has:

# -- THEME AUTO-WRITTEN DO NOT EDIT
include "/home/marc/.themes/IRIX/gtk/gtkrc"

include "/home/marc/.gtkrc.mine"

# -- THEME AUTO-WRITTEN DO NOT EDIT

If using a system theme just put in the full path to it, i.e.
  include "/usr/share/themes/Notif2/gtk/gtkrc"

Anyway, theme-selector-capplet is part of control-center so
if it's possible get the source of the version Ximian uses
and recompile/install it. In fact you could recompile control-center
and then just do a `make install' from the capplets directory maybe.
[control-center-x.x.x/capplets/theme-switcher/]
If it works, cool. If not `make install' all of control-center.

Marc

------------------------------

From: "Michal Kolesar" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.lang.c
Subject: newbie: md5 + C + /etc/shadow
Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2001 19:24:37 +0100

Hi,

I am newbie to C. I have a question.
How is possible to generate from plain text to the encrypted
md5 (or I think that it is md5) password looking like /etc/shadow password?

Example - Line from my /etc/shadow:

test:$1$t1ELPGSv$2sIAmEX7RqDyFAOq6FUpU.:11301:0:99999:7:::134549020

where

$1$t1ELPGSv$2sIAmEX7RqDyFAOq6FUpU.

is a encrypted password 'test' for user test.

I would like use some function in C or other stuff to encrypt some plain
text
to the format which is using in /etc/shadow file.

Which stuff can I use?

Thank You very much for help!

--
---
Michal Kolesar

------------------------------

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: source for basic utils like ftp/cp/mv... where?
Date: Sun, 4 Mar 2001 07:07:32 +0100

alex k <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Peter T. Breuer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

>> Then you should look IN the original source, because that tells you WHO
>> THE AUTHOR IS, and HOW TO CONTACT HIM. And you'll find the original
>> source in the srpm. You'll also find that the srpm SPEC file contains a lot
>> of other data, like who the maintainer is, where his stuff came from,
>> and so on ...

> it was a very simple question.

"Apparantly from a very simple person", I feel it opportune to retort.
Here's one for you: where can I find the site where the originals of
all those banknotes that are floating around the world come from?

!

> too bad you were unable to give a simple answer.

The answer (again) is simple: open the srpm, look at the source,
read where it comes from.

>> blah blah blah. Open your eyes and quit the defending yourself.

> huh?
> just tried to clarify something.

Huh? Trying to dissimulate that you have something to say other than
"ah, oops, yes, all the info is in the srpms" is not going to win you
anything.

> to all the others who helped me instead, like i think the usenet is for,

You think wrong, but somehow I don't think you want to geddit.

> i say thanks.

> time to quit this:)

I hope you have learned something, if only to use your own head before
sticking it out in an untenable position and getting it bitten off by
all and sundry.

From: "Mordak" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: looking for a HOWTO on shell scripting
Date: Sun, 4 Mar 2001 01:18:24 -0500

Try http://www.linuxdoc.org there is a specific Bash HOWTO and probably one
for Cron too. Check the mini howto's as well. O'Reilly puts out a great book
called "Learning the Bash Shell" http://www.oreilly.com that I recommend.
Mordak

news:YWho6.300843$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dave Brown)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.questions
Date: 3 Mar 2001 23:41:10 -0600

In article <YWho6.300843$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, John Gill wrote:
>I know shell scripting is fairly basic to Linux / Unix, but I am looking for
>a good source to learn some of the basics, along with Cron setup.  I am
>looking for Bash shell.

www.linuxdoc.org will get you to some links for HOWTOs.  There is one
called Bash-Prog-Intro-HOWTO which covers basics.  A good book on
Kornshell programming is a good substitute for Bash shell programming,
since that's not been written about too much.  My favorite author is
Barry Rosenberg ("Hands-On Kornshell93 Programming").

There are some differences between the two, but mostly easy to "convert".

--
Dave Brown  Austin, TX

------------------------------

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Telnet Help
Date: Sun, 4 Mar 2001 07:13:25 +0100

O'Banion <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I'm new to the whole Linux world, and I'm trying to enable Telnet on my
> Linux Box.  I know this may sound like a silly problem, but if anyone can
> give me any advice, I would greatly appreciate it.  I am running Debian 2.2.

What's your problem?

If you mean telnetd (i.e. the server, not the client), just install it and
add its line to inetd.conf, if necessary. Then check hosts.allow and
hosts.deny.

Date: Sat, 03 Mar 2001 23:37:25 -0700
From: "D. Stimits" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: newbie: md5 + C + /etc/shadow

Michal Kolesar wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am newbie to C. I have a question.
> How is possible to generate from plain text to the encrypted
> md5 (or I think that it is md5) password looking like /etc/shadow password?
>
> Example - Line from my /etc/shadow:
>
> test:$1$t1ELPGSv$2sIAmEX7RqDyFAOq6FUpU.:11301:0:99999:7:::134549020
>
> where
>
> $1$t1ELPGSv$2sIAmEX7RqDyFAOq6FUpU.
>
> is a encrypted password 'test' for user test.
>
> I would like use some function in C or other stuff to encrypt some plain
> text
> to the format which is using in /etc/shadow file.
>
> Which stuff can I use?
>
> Thank You very much for help!
>
> --
> ---
> Michal Kolesar
> +420608225025
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> http://www.egarden.cz
> public server of free unix services

On linux the man page might not be in the traditional man path; on one
of my systems, there are a set of related man pages in
/usr/local/ssl/man/. If ssl is installed and the man path looks in the
right place, you can simply do "man md5". If the man page would be
expected to be found, I wouldn't quote it here. However, the man page
says (I hope it doesn't line wrap):

md5(3)                       OpenSSL                       md5(3)

NAME
       MD2, MD4, MD5, MD2_Init, MD2_Update, MD2_Final, MD4_Init,
       MD4_Update, MD4_Final, MD5_Init, MD5_Update, MD5_Final -
       MD2, MD4, and MD5 hash functions

SYNOPSIS
        #include <openssl/md2.h>

        unsigned char *MD2(const unsigned char *d, unsigned long n,
                         unsigned char *md);

        void MD2_Init(MD2_CTX *c);
        void MD2_Update(MD2_CTX *c, const unsigned char *data,
                         unsigned long len);
        void MD2_Final(unsigned char *md, MD2_CTX *c);

        #include <openssl/md4.h>

        unsigned char *MD4(const unsigned char *d, unsigned long n,
                         unsigned char *md);

        void MD4_Init(MD4_CTX *c);
        void MD4_Update(MD4_CTX *c, const void *data,
                         unsigned long len);
        void MD4_Final(unsigned char *md, MD4_CTX *c);

        #include <openssl/md5.h>

        unsigned char *MD5(const unsigned char *d, unsigned long n,
                         unsigned char *md);

        void MD5_Init(MD5_CTX *c);
        void MD5_Update(MD5_CTX *c, const void *data,
                         unsigned long len);
        void MD5_Final(unsigned char *md, MD5_CTX *c);

DESCRIPTION
       MD2, MD4, and MD5 are cryptographic hash functions with a
       128 bit output.

       MD2(), MD4(), and MD5() compute the MD2, MD4, and MD5
       message digest of the n bytes at d and place it in md
       (which must have space for MD2_DIGEST_LENGTH ==
       MD4_DIGEST_LENGTH == MD5_DIGEST_LENGTH == 16 bytes of
       output). If md is NULL, the digest is placed in a static
       array.

       The following functions may be used if the message is not
       completely stored in memory:

       MD2_Init() initializes a MD2_CTX structure.

       MD2_Update() can be called repeatedly with chunks of the
       message to be hashed (len bytes at data).

       MD2_Final() places the message digest in md, which must
       have space for MD2_DIGEST_LENGTH == 16 bytes of output,
       and erases the MD2_CTX.

       MD4_Init(), MD4_Update(), MD4_Final(), MD5_Init(),
       MD5_Update(), and MD5_Final() are analogous using an
       MD4_CTX and MD5_CTX structure.

       Applications should use the higher level functions
       EVP_DigestInit(3) etc. instead of calling the hash
       functions directly.

NOTE
       MD2, MD4, and MD5 are recommended only for compatibility
       with existing applications. In new applications, SHA-1 or
       RIPEMD-160 should be preferred.

ETURN VALUES
       MD2(), MD4(), and MD5() return pointers to the hash value.

       MD2_Init(), MD2_Update(), MD2_Final(), MD4_Init(),
       MD4_Update(), MD4_Final(), MD5_Init(), MD5_Update(), and
       MD5_Final() do not return values.

CONFORMING TO
       RFC 1319, RFC 1320, RFC 1321

SEE ALSO
       sha(3), ripemd(3), EVP_DigestInit(3)

HISTORY
       MD2(), MD2_Init(), MD2_Update() MD2_Final(), MD5(),
       MD5_Init(), MD5_Update() and MD5_Final() are available in
       all versions of SSLeay and OpenSSL.

       MD4(), MD4_Init(), and MD4_Update() are available in
       OpenSSL 0.9.6 and above.

       MD4_Final, MD5_Init, MD5_Update, MD5_Final - MD2, MD4, and
       MD5 hash functions"

11/Sep/2000                   0.9.6                             1

NOTE: Be sure to link against libssl

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ken Williams)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Test if mount was a sucess from shell script?
Date: Sun, 04 Mar 2001 07:07:05 GMT

I'm trying to mount a drive before I do something, does anyone know how I can
test to see if the mount was sucessfull from a bash shell script?