Linux-Misc Digest #284, Volume #27                Mon, 5 Mar 01 02:13:02 EST

Contents:
  where is a timer server for my linux to sync? ("percy")
  Re: How to auto login ? (Arctic Storm)
  Help with FTP please ("David")
  mounting a remote file system? (Victor Dods)
  Re: [Q] How do I boot without a keyboard connected? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: SSH to RH6.2 through a firewall?? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: setting up a printer? (Dave Sebring)
  Re: gnome - desktop resolution (Dowe Keller)
  Re: Treesize for Linux? ("Harlan Grove")
  Re: setting up a printer? (Arctic Storm)
  Re: mounting a remote file system? (Noble Pepper)
  Re: Test if mount was a sucess from shell script? (Faux_Pseudo)
  Re: where is a timer server for my linux to sync? (Paul Kimoto)
  Re: Redhat 7.0 Doom Installation Problem (Salmaan Shikari)
  Re: source for basic utils like ftp/cp/mv... where? (Alex K)
  Re: Linux partitioning question (Daniel J. Peng)
  suse kernel ("Wong Ching Kuen Frederick")
  Re: HELP bttv BT849A (Krzys Majewski)
  Re: Linux partitioning question (Daniel J. Peng)
  Re: Virus checker for Linuix? ("green")

From: "percy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: where is a timer server for my linux to sync?
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2001 10:16:34 +0800

where is a timer server for my linux to sync?

From: Arctic Storm <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How to auto login ?
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2001 02:34:20 GMT

> > Is there a way to setup the boot process, so that one of the accounts
> > will be automatically logged in,...
> > I have RedHat 7 and Ximian GNOME.  When I boot, I'm presented with the
> > Ximian login window, so that I can enter the account name and password.
> > I would like the regular user account to login automatically.
> > Thanks.
>
> I never tried it, but I suppose you could have a startup script at the
> end of file (if you are running Red Hat Linux) /etc/rc.d/rc.local that
> started up a process on one of the virtual terminals that was a
> logged-in shell for that user.
>
> I suggest not doing it, though, as that would mean that anyone who
> turned on the machine could do anything that that logged in user could
> do.
>
> If you require a login for all users, it is somewhat more difficult to
> turn on the machine and get logged in. It can definately be done, and
> you can acquire root priviledges, but you have to know a bit to do
> that.

I live alone, and I'm the only one who use my computer in the apartment; no
security issue here.

------------------------------

From: "David" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Help with FTP please
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2001 02:38:24 GMT

Help please,
I get this "421 Service not available"  error when trying to ftp the other
host on my home network.
I run SuSE 6.2 on both and used YaST to set up inetd services.
Would this also cause an error in publishing a web page from NS composer to
my remote file on the other computer.
and getting an error  that "Put" command doesnt work?
Thanks
David

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 04 Mar 2001 19:03:10 -0800
From: Victor Dods <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: mounting a remote file system?

I was wondering if it is possible to mount or somehow connect a remote
system to my own, so it would essentially act like I mounted it as a
hard disk in my own system.  I have a school account which I can telnet
and ftp to (and ssh), and in order to work more efficiently, I would
like to hook my login directory up to a directory in my system, so I
wouldn't have to keep ftp'ing files back and forth, and running telnet
to manipulate the remote files.  Does anyone know if that's possible?

Thanks

Victor Dods - [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [Q] How do I boot without a keyboard connected?
Date: Sun, 4 Mar 2001 13:24:57 GMT

Rudy Taraschi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: Steve S. wrote:

: My original request was due to the fact that my BIOS did not support
: the option of disabling or ignoring the keyboard check.  Thanks for the
: reply.

I have one of those critters too. Bought a $5.00 keyboard, used the
keyboard lock thing on that old mobo, and that's it.

Regards,
Friedhelm

--
Microsoft is NOT the answer. Microsoft is the Question.
The answer is: "NO!"

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.security
Subject: Re: SSH to RH6.2 through a firewall??
Date: Sun, 4 Mar 2001 13:47:45 GMT

Hartmut Berghoff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

: Bo Berglund schrieb:

:>
:> 2) I have absolutely no idea which port(s) to open for this to work.
:> So basically my question is:
:> Which port(s) SSH uses?
:> Are there any other issues about going through a NAT firewall?
:>
:> /Bo
:>
:> Bo Berglund
:> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

: What says your /etc/Services. Normally it's commented, so you find
: portnumber    protocol   # ssh

: My SuSy has 22. As tis is reserved number area, this should apply to you
: too.

In addition, you have to open the "return ports" for ssh.
>From some firewall docs, I have flying around:

> # SSH starts at 1023 and works down to 513 for
> # each additional simultaneous incomming connection.

So something like this should work.

#----------------------------------------
IPADDR="my IP"
EXTERNAL_INTERFACE="my external interface"
ANYWHERE="any/0"
UNPRIV_PORTS="1024:65535"
SSH_PORTS="1022:1023"

#-- SSH server (22)
ipchains -A input -i $EXTERNAL_INTERFACE -p tcp\
   -s $ANYWHERE $UNPRIV_PORTS\
   -d $IPADDR 22 -j ACCEPT
ipchains -A output -j $EXTERNAL_INTERFACE -p tcp ! -y\
    -s $IPADDR 22\
    -d $ANYWHERE $UNPRIVPORTS -j ACCEPT
ipchains -A input -i $EXTERNAL_INTERFACE -p tcp\
    -s $ANYWHERE $SSH_PORTS\
    -d $IPADDR 22 -j ACCEPT
ipchains -A output -i $EXTERNAL_INTERFACE -p tcp ! -y\
     -s $IPADDR 22\
     -d $ANYWHERE $SSH_PORTS -j ACCEPT
#------------------------------------------------------

Regards,
Friedhelm

From: Dave Sebring <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: setting up a printer?
Date: Sun, 04 Mar 2001 12:24:21 -0800

Michael Roy Fox wrote:

> I have Linux release 2.4.2 and a Hewlett Packard Deskjet 842c printer.
> Can anyone give me step by step instructions as how to set up my
> printer?
>
> Thanks,
> Michael

Well, what I did was this:

I ran modconf to add parport, parport-pc, and lp

Then I installed magicfilter and ran magicfilterconfig

The only real trouble was installing lp....

The format example for entering the parameters was (in my opinion)
missleading and caused many retrys before I stumbled on the correct one,
ymmv.

Hope that helps.

Dave

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dowe Keller)
Subject: Re: gnome - desktop resolution
Date: 4 Mar 2001 19:57:25 -0800

On Tue, 27 Feb 2001 17:22:30 +1300, Barbadega <Steve@Healthline<nospam> wrote:
>Where is the setting to adjust the resolution of my desktop in gnome?

/etc/X11/XF86Config

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED]              http://www.sierratel.com/dowe
---

------------------------------

From: "Harlan Grove" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Treesize for Linux?
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2001 04:07:01 GMT

Chris Gordon-Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Thanks.  I have to admit (somewhat grudgingly!) that mc can be used to
>give the information I'm looking for. However, I'm really looking for
>something much more user friendly and pleasant to use. I think that the
>days of this kind of pre Xerox PARC/Mac/Windows user interface are
>numbered.

I use Treesize under WinNT. You could get the same information from du,
though not in a graphical fashion.

As for numbering the days of the command line interface, outside of the
Windows and Mac worlds a large chunk of computing is still done from the
command line. There's even a fair amount of thinks done with character
mode under Windows. Check out alt.msdos.batch.nt .

------------------------------

From: Arctic Storm <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2001 04:07:16 GMT

> I have Linux release 2.4.2 and a Hewlett Packard Deskjet 842c printer.
> Can anyone give me step by step instructions as how to set up my
> printer?

Which distribution do you have?  If you have RedHat, then the printer
control panel should allow you to set it up easily.

------------------------------

From: Noble Pepper <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: mounting a remote file system?
Date: Sun, 4 Mar 2001 22:10:55 -0600

Victor Dods wrote:

> I was wondering if it is possible to mount or somehow connect a remote
> system to my own, so it would essentially act like I mounted it as a
> hard disk in my own system.  I have a school account which I can telnet
> and ftp to (and ssh), and in order to work more efficiently, I would
> like to hook my login directory up to a directory in my system, so I
> wouldn't have to keep ftp'ing files back and forth, and running telnet
> to manipulate the remote files.  Does anyone know if that's possible?
>
> Thanks
>
> Victor Dods - [EMAIL PROTECTED]

tons of ways to do that, if both systems are linux NFS would be a good
alternative.

Ask the administrator at the host what is available.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Faux_Pseudo)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Test if mount was a sucess from shell script?
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2001 04:48:30 GMT

--(Once apon a time, in comp.os.linux.setup,)--
                --(Lee Webb said it like only they can.)--

>#!/bin/sh
>mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/win_c > /dev/null 2>&1
>if [ $? -eq 0 ]; then
>    echo "Fine"
>else
>    echo "Something went wrong"
>fi

That is fare more than is needed.

mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/win_c || echo "Something went wrong"

--
--(UIN=66618055)--
--([EMAIL PROTECTED]:45_/home/faux)-- cat .sig

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Paul Kimoto)
Subject: Re: where is a timer server for my linux to sync?
Date: 5 Mar 2001 00:40:19 -0500

In article <97usjm$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, percy wrote:
> where is a timer server for my linux to sync?

See the lists at
 http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/ntp/servers.htm

--
Paul Kimoto
This message was originally posted on Usenet in plain text.  Any images,

------------------------------

From: Salmaan Shikari <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Redhat 7.0 Doom Installation Problem
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2001 05:44:50 GMT

==============EAD5F2B6C5DC194DACEADE49

I checked that..  both exec. files have 755 permisions..  Do you think it has
to do with the fact that I am using Redhat 7?

green wrote:

> check you have permisions the execute it. like 777
>

> "Salmaan Shikari" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > I do not have that much experience with Linux and I recently installed
> > Redhat 7.0.
> >
> > 1. I downloaded the complete doom from C-net's downloads section and
> > unzipped the files using gunzip.
> >
> > 2. Then I untarred the files with tar xvf.
> >
> > 3. I 'cd'd to the doom-1.8 directory, modified the README.config and
> copied
> > it to /usr/local/lib/libvga.config.
> >
> > 4. I also added the following line to my .bashrc file:
> > export PATH=.:/home/sshikari/doom-1.8:$PATH
> >
> > 5. and then typed source .bashrc
> >
> > 6. When I try to run xdoom or sdoom from the command line (as root) I get
> > the message: bash: ./xdoom: cannot execute binary file
> >
> > What am I doing wrong?  I have been able to get other programs like
> > LimeWire to install and run on my machine.  Doom has never worked though.
> >
> > Thank you for your help.
> >
> > --

Salmaan Shikari
201 St. Pauls Ave.
Apartment 5W
Jersey City, NJ 07306
Home: 201-222-9709
Cell: 646-234-8162
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

==============EAD5F2B6C5DC194DACEADE49

&nbsp;
Do you think it has to do with the fact that I am using Redhat 7?

message
href="news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]">news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]</a>...
and
and
I get
like
though.

<pre>--&nbsp;
Salmaan Shikari
201 St. Pauls Ave.
Apartment 5W
Jersey City, NJ 07306
Home: 201-222-9709
Cell: 646-234-8162
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]</pre>
&nbsp;</html>

From: Alex K <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: source for basic utils like ftp/cp/mv... where?
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2001 07:30:22 -0100

"Peter T. Breuer" wrote:

> Alex K <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > "Peter T. Breuer" wrote:
> >>
> > [lotsa arrogance snipped]
>
> The arrogance (as you call it) is on both sides. It's called
> "thinking you are in the right". Unfortunately for you, I AM right.
>
> >> I hope you have learned something, if only to use your own head before
> >> sticking it out in an untenable position and getting it bitten off by
> >> all and sundry.
>
> > well i cant deny that you have made more biting than answering.
> > would be nice if you had put all that energy into a few straightforward
> > answers, instead of pseudorethorical bs like "think about it".
>
> For the UMPTEENTH time. The answer is simple: the answer is in the
> SRPM, because that is where the original source is, and the original
> source contains the address of where it came from, and the SPEC file
> also contains that data too. What have you got between your ears? Are you
> not capable of understanding this?
>
> Peter

and the answer _still_ is ftp.gnu.org
i had no intention to dl rpm, lotsa srpms,
install it all and search the source just to
get that stupid simple answer.

just like i wouldnt tell someone to move
to sweden, learn swedish and read on the damn
banknotes to find out where they are printed.
(especially since the swedish banknotes dont
have that written on them...)

but now i tried, and it just ended with rpm4.0
refusing to be made...

now, if U will have a close look at what you
said:
>> anyway, i guess ftp.gnu.org is what i was after, after all.
> No it isn't. Are you unaware that srpm's
> by definition and design contain the ORIGINAL SOURCE,
> plus PATCHES?

you'll (hopefully) realize that you said nothing
about searching them for info about where they are from,
instead making it seem as if the srpms is the PLACE TO GET
the original sources because you for some weird
reason deny ftp.gnu.org is the authorative place, the place
where distromakers get them...

  alex k

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Daniel J. Peng)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Re: Linux partitioning question
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2001 06:30:31 GMT

On 26 Feb 2001 01:24:30 GMT, Dances With Crows <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Never had a sudden power failure that caused one of your filesystems to
>get completely scribbled?  (NOTE:  The first time I typed this sentence,

Odd, I've only seen that happen with Linux, and I've been using Linux for
a third the time I've been using DOS.  Is there some characteristic of
ext2 that makes it more easily corruptible?

------------------------------

From: "Wong Ching Kuen Frederick" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: suse kernel
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2001 14:37:11 +0800

how to upgrade the suse kernel from 2.2.16 to 2.2.18 using rpm?! do i need
to build the modules? thanks.

------------------------------

From: Krzys Majewski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: HELP bttv BT849A
Date: 04 Mar 2001 22:56:34 -0800

Find the webpage for the bttv driver.
Download the source for the latest version of the modules.
Compile the modules. You may need to compile the i2c modules as well.
Insert the modules, for example "modprobe bttv".
-chris

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Daniel J. Peng)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.hardware
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2001 06:54:47 GMT

On Thu, 01 Mar 2001 00:42:48 GMT, Tim Moore <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> created automatically when I do the install?? (Im a newbie)

Well, this is just /tmp, right?  Nothing is guaranteed to stay in there.

Why not...

init 1
rm -Rf /tmp
rm -Rf /var/tmp
rm -Rf /usr/tmp
mkdir /var/tmp
ln -s /var/tmp /tmp
ln -s /var/tmp /usr/tmp
init 6

From: "green" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Virus checker for Linuix?
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2001 17:10:43 +1000

I beleve there was one at www.avp.com.au

note .au as it is australian only. NOT THE SAME AS  www.avp.com
but i think it only scaned mail databases for viruses