Linux-Misc Digest #285, Volume #27                Mon, 5 Mar 01 06:13:04 EST

Contents:
  Re: Linux partitioning question (Eric P. McCoy)
  Reference to DeCSS censored on comic strip. (E J)
  Conectiva Documentation? (Joel Doucet)
  Re: source for basic utils like ftp/cp/mv... where? ("Harlan Grove")
  Re: 2 NICs on 1 machine. (Dean Thompson)
  Re: redirect stderr to both screen and logfile at same time? (Jan Wuyts)
  Re: Test if mount was a sucess from shell script? (Lew Pitcher)
  vfat-Filesystem and UC/LC-conversion (Rainer Menzner)
  Re: linux clustering (Dean Thompson)
  Re: printing german umlauts (Villy Kruse)
  Re: source for basic utils like ftp/cp/mv... where? (Floyd Davidson)
  Dual head colour-mono display? (Greg Trounson)
  Re: source for basic utils like ftp/cp/mv... where? ("Peter T. Breuer")
  Re: reading .doc files? ("Nils O. Selåsdal")
  Re: Best html editor in Linux? ("Nils O. Selåsdal")
  Re: Linux partitioning question (Alberto BARSELLA)
  How to specify different user when doing a samba backup ("Shane")
  Re: source for basic utils like ftp/cp/mv... where? (Alex K)
  Re: source for basic utils like ftp/cp/mv... where? (Alex K)

Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Re: Linux partitioning question
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Eric P. McCoy)
Date: 05 Mar 2001 02:01:09 -0500

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Daniel J. Peng) writes:

> >Never had a sudden power failure that caused one of your filesystems to
> >get completely scribbled?  (NOTE:  The first time I typed this sentence,

> Odd, I've only seen that happen with Linux, and I've been using Linux for
> a third the time I've been using DOS.  Is there some characteristic of
> ext2 that makes it more easily corruptible?

There are a lot of factors.  The cache is more flexible in Linux than
SmartDrive ever was, and there's almost always at least one file open
for writing on any Linux (or other multitasking OS) box.

This is a big-time case of apples and oranges.  OS/2 and HPFS might be
a better one, but unfortunately I know nothing about HPFS.

--
Eric McCoy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  "Knowing that a lot of people across the world with Geocities sites

------------------------------

From: E J <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Subject: Reference to DeCSS censored on comic strip.
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2001 07:14:00 GMT

Boondocks Thursday March 1 and Friday March 2 issues has been censored
for referring to the DeCSS.
maybe Boondocks should have linked to the court document with DeCSS
printed on it.
http://www.ucomics.com/boondocks/viewbo.cfm?uc_full_date=20010302&uc_comic=bo&uc_daction=X

http://www.ucomics.com/boondocks/viewbo.cfm?uc_full_date=20010301&uc_comic=bo&uc_daction=X

I hope DeCSS becomes legal, so I can watch DVDs on my linux box.

------------------------------

From: Joel Doucet <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Conectiva Documentation?
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2001 07:30:04 -0000

2 Questions
      First, I installed Conectiva Linux which is like the only Linux
distro in the world that I found was easy to install on my HP 6740c.  I
went to the website and I practically went INSANE when I saw that the
online manuals are in Spanish!  Is there a place where I can find a copy in
English? Are there language translators that would do the job?

     Second, when I installed I clicked on minimum install because I just
wanted to try it.  Anyway, when I got into the program, the only thing I
saw was something that said "xtern" and there wasn't anything else on the
screen.  So, I couldn't do anything.  How do I get something similar to
windows like the other distros?

From: "Harlan Grove" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: source for basic utils like ftp/cp/mv... where?
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2001 07:53:57 GMT

Alex K <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> "Peter T. Breuer" wrote:

<snip>

>now, if U will have a close look at what you said:
>>>anyway, i guess ftp.gnu.org is what i was after, after all.
>>No it isn't. Are you unaware that srpm's by definition and design
>>contain the ORIGINAL SOURCE, plus PATCHES?
>
>you'll (hopefully) realize that you said nothing about searching them
>for info about where they are from, instead making it seem as if the
>srpms is the PLACE TO GET the original sources because you for some
>weird reason deny ftp.gnu.org is the authorative place, the place where
>distromakers get them...

Uh, who said ftp.gnu.org was where any distribution maker 'gets' their
source code? I'd imagine Red Hat, Caldera, SuSE, TurboLinux and all
other original distribution packagers use the source code they already
have. And they wouldn't go to ftp.gnu.org for XFree86, KDE, Perl,
Python, Tcl/Tk, etc. not to mention the Linux kernel itself.

GNU software started off being distributed by Richard Stallman on
magnetic tapes. You can still get GNU software (strictly speaking) from
GNU's web site. This makes up a small amount of all the software found
on a typical Linux system, so you may still need to check other sites.
But after wasting all this effort you'd very likely find that you have
had pretty much the same source code all along on your distro CD.

------------------------------

From: Dean Thompson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.unix.programmer
Subject: Re: 2 NICs on 1 machine.
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2001 18:59:09 +1100

Hi Rick,

> On Client node, I have 2 NICs:
> 1. 192.168.1.10
> 2. 192.168.1.20
>
> Server node is connected to Client via a 100mpbs (full-duplex per port)
> switch.
> 1. 192.168.1.1
>
> However, from Server, i can't seem to be able to telnet or ftp into Client.
> Please take into account i have inet started and also configured /etc/hosts
> , /etc/hosts.allow. Do i need to configure other files? Am i missing > anything here?

You need to ensure that you have loaded the appropriate daemons onto your
system.  For example (make sure that you do a: rpm -qa | grep telnet) to see
whether or not you have a telnet server.  If the problem still continues, you
might like to tell us what sort of errors you are getting back from the
system.  Are you getting a "connection refused" message or are you get a
"connection closed by foreign host" message.

See ya

Dean Thompson

--
+______________________________+____________________________________________+
|   Dean Thompson              | E-mail  - [EMAIL PROTECTED] |

------------------------------

From: Jan Wuyts <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux,alt.solaris.x86,comp.unix.admin,comp.unix.aix,comp.unix.misc,comp.unix.shell
Subject: Re: redirect stderr to both screen and logfile at same time?
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2001 08:43:51 +0000

"J.Smith" wrote:

> Hi.
>
> In a particular script, I would like to be able to (re)direct stdout and
> stderr to *both* the screen *and* a logfile at the same time. Just doing
> './commandname 1>/logfile 2>/logfile' will redirect stdout and stderr to the
> logfile, but wont show the output on the screen anymore. And the 'tee'
> command only seems to work for stdout, and not for stderr.
>
> Is there any way to do this?

I've seen a lot of suggestions in this thread.
I've seen the behaviour a few years ago on HP-UX.
I did the following:

(./commandname 2>&1)|tee logfile

which did the trick then.

Cheers
Jan

------------------------------

From: Lew Pitcher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Test if mount was a sucess from shell script?
Date: Sun, 04 Mar 2001 19:36:21 -0500

Ken Williams wrote:

> I'm trying to mount a drive before I do something, does anyone know how I can
> test to see if the mount was sucessfull from a bash shell script?

mount will return an exitcode based on whether or not the command
worked.
In bash, this exitcode is stored in the $? variable, and is also
implicitly testable. A value of 0 means success, while a non-zero value
is failure.

You could use code like this...

  if mount /dev/somedevice /some/mount/pt ; then
     echo The mount worked
  else
     echo The mount failed
  fi

--
Lew Pitcher

Master Codewright and JOAT-in-training
Registered Linux User #112576

------------------------------

From: Rainer Menzner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: vfat-Filesystem and UC/LC-conversion
Date: 05 Mar 2001 09:14:40 +0100

Hi,

if I copy files from a ext2-partition to a mounted vfat-partition the
filenames are perfectly preserved under Linux. The problem is that
filenames which (by chance) adhere to the 8.3 naming convention appear
in uppercase only under Windows. The leads to problems because after
burning a CD from such data under Windows these filename remain
uppercase even if the CD is mounted under Linux.

I'm not sure about the actual problem. Is it Windows that converts the
filenames, or does this happen on Linux while copying to the
vfat-partition? I tend to believe to the first alternative because the
filenames appear OK after copying under Linux.

Does anyone know a solution?

Thanks for your opinions,

-Rainer
--

*** ____ ****** . * . *******  Dr.-Ing. Rainer Menzner  ********************
   ( /  \      /|  /|          Ruhr-Universität Bochum

eMail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
WWW:   http://www.neuroinformatik.ruhr-uni-bochum.de/ini/PEOPLE/rmz/top.html

------------------------------

From: Dean Thompson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Re: linux clustering
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2001 19:23:13 +1100

Hi!,

> Has anyone tried it ? well I guess that lots of people have, I tried doing
> it using piranha but I was having lots of problems so I abandoned the
> project for now but I know that at some time I'll have to come back on
> it...
>
> now what I really want are references ... like can you give me any urls and
> howtos or docs you have used to make your linux cluster work.

You might like to take a look at: http://www.virtualserver.org.  They use the
LVS system which is a slightly different to the piranha system.  It just
depends on what you are trying to do.  LVS/Piranha are more for load sharing
than clustering.  If you want to look at clustering (the coupling together of
processor power to make a super computer) then you might want to take a look
at beowulf package which is available for Linux.

See ya

Dean Thompson

--
+______________________________+____________________________________________+

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Villy Kruse)
Subject: Re: printing german umlauts
Date: 5 Mar 2001 08:35:02 GMT

On Sun, 04 Mar 2001 19:02:09 +0100, Richard Esser <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>hi,
>
>my terminal supports german umlauts, and I have a dot matrix printer
>attached to lp0.
>but when I do "echo öüä > /dev/lp0", only strange characters appear on
>the paper. The printer has DIP switches to set the character set which
>is used, but it has no effect when I set it to german, except that
>other strange characters appear.

That is probably iso646-DE which replaces {|}[\]~ with umlaut characters.
It is a variant of the ASCII code which was used before 8-bit characters
became common.

>do you have any ideas how to teach my printer to print german umlauts
>with linux ?

You need a printer fileter which translate from your internal character
set to the character set the printer uses.  Try take a look at iconv.

Villy

------------------------------

From: Floyd Davidson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 04 Mar 2001 23:18:50 -0900

Alex K <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>"Peter T. Breuer" wrote:
>>
>> For the UMPTEENTH time. The answer is simple: the answer is in the
>> SRPM, because that is where the original source is, and the original
>> source contains the address of where it came from, and the SPEC file
>> also contains that data too. What have you got between your ears? Are you
>> not capable of understanding this?
>>
>> Peter
>
>and the answer _still_ is ftp.gnu.org

What is the point of arguing with people who answer your
question for you?  Peter knows exactly what he is talking
about, and did right from the start.  Everything you know
about this subject you learned by reading either what he
said or what someone else said that was exactly the same.

--
Floyd L. Davidson         <http://www.ptialaska.net/~floyd>
Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)                 [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Greg Trounson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Dual head colour-mono display?
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2001 22:26:14 +1300

Greetings,

I am trying to get an MDA video adapter on my system working under Linux
alongside a 3dfx voodoo3 pci card.  I'm not too concerned with X, I'd
just like to be able to map, say, console 2 to the mono screen, while
running X on the colour screen.

The kernel (2.4.1) has been compiled with the dual-head option enabled,
and the kernel indeed detects it with messages such as
"mdacon: Hercules adapter found
Console:Reassigning consoles 13-16 to MDA-2"

However I've not been able to actually put anything on the screen yet
(simply echoing a string to console 13 doesn't seem to do it :).  One
thing I did notice is that the mda screen goes totally black when Linux
detects it (ie without the blinking cursor), so it could be a mode
issue?  How does one access the mda device, is it listed under /dev?

I have tried the framebuffer utility set, but the problem seems to be at
a lower level than framebuffers.

any help would be much appreciated,
TIA,
Greg Trounson

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2001 09:36:44 GMT

Alex K <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> and the answer _still_ is ftp.gnu.org

No it ISN'T, you nitwit.

> the original sources because you for some weird
> reason deny ftp.gnu.org is the authorative place, the place
> where distromakers get them...

Source comes from wherever it comes from, which isn't there, in all
probability. Or are you saying that my GPL codes  are stored on
ftp.gnu.org?  They are not!  Count the number of packages there, and
then count the number of packages on your disk.  Let's say you have 4000
packages on your disk.  Let's say there are 400 projects held at
gnu.org.  Now what?

From: "Nils O. Selåsdal" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: reading .doc files?
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2001 10:58:01 +0100

"Bob Tennent" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> On 02 Mar 2001 16:00:44 -0800, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>  >
>  >Anyone know of any Linux apps that'll allow me
>  >to read .doc files?
>
> antiword, wordperfect, wv (mswordview), abiword, staroffice, ...
And, when someone suggests programs for you, or you need something, you go
www.freshmeat.net and search...

------------------------------

From: "Nils O. Selåsdal" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Best html editor in Linux?
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2001 10:59:53 +0100

"Edmond Song" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> What is the best webpage editor for linux? I prefer having equations and
> figures in the html files. Thanks
Quanta+ or if you need a wysiwyg editor, try netscape (composer)
YOu should find these apps at www.freshmeat.net

------------------------------

From: Alberto BARSELLA <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.hardware
Date: 05 Mar 2001 11:02:57 +0100

"Cjv" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> "Tim Moore" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>
> > # go to single user mode
> > init 1
[good sequence snipped]

If you use a separate / partition, make sure that it contains a
/var/tmp directory (which will disappear when /var is mounted).  This
way if you find yourself forced to boot with only / mounted, the
programs which need to use /tmp will work instead of complaining about
a non-existent directory.

Bye,
Alberto
--
Alberto BARSELLA
PGP fingerprint = 13 3F 22 D2 0B 0A D3 25  F1 89 FE B5 82 AD 75 2A

------------------------------

From: "Shane" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: How to specify different user when doing a samba backup
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2001 10:55:48 GMT

Hi all,

If I've got a backup command something like this:
    smbclient \\\\server\\Apps "" -N -Tc backup.tar *

How do I specify a different user name ?? I've tried setting
USER=Administrator%pass, but with no luck, and "-U Administrator" anywhere
in the command line does not work... How do I specify a user and password
for this type of thing?

Also, what is the ' "" '  in the above example ??  (Igrabbed it from the
smbclient man page and adjusted it for my needs..)

Any help appreciated.

Shane.

------------------------------

From: Alex K <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2001 11:55:20 -0100

Floyd Davidson wrote:

> Alex K <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >"Peter T. Breuer" wrote:
> >>
> >> For the UMPTEENTH time. The answer is simple: the answer is in the
> >> SRPM, because that is where the original source is, and the original
> >> source contains the address of where it came from, and the SPEC file
> >> also contains that data too. What have you got between your ears? Are you
> >> not capable of understanding this?
> >>
> >> Peter
> >
> >and the answer _still_ is ftp.gnu.org
>
> What is the point of arguing with people who answer your
> question for you?  Peter knows exactly what he is talking
> about, and did right from the start.  Everything you know
> about this subject you learned by reading either what he
> said or what someone else said that was exactly the same.

oh i lost the point a few posts ago. i just failed to have
the selfdiscipline to let this go when it turned silly.
i fear i have been doing too much syntactical analysis
of what peter has said, and failed to get my point across.

well he says that ftp.gnu.org is _not_ the answer,
others do. so people dont say the same,...

  ak

------------------------------

From: Alex K <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2001 12:08:37 -0100

Harlan Grove wrote:

> Alex K <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > "Peter T. Breuer" wrote:
> Uh, who said ftp.gnu.org was where any distribution maker 'gets' their
> source code? I'd imagine Red Hat, Caldera, SuSE, TurboLinux and all
> other original distribution packagers use the source code they already
> have. And they wouldn't go to ftp.gnu.org for XFree86, KDE, Perl,
> Python, Tcl/Tk, etc. not to mention the Linux kernel itself.

well they didnt get it from themselves when creating the very first
distro.
and i wasnt talking about X or python, only those basic things,
apparently the gnu utils.

first time i looked at ftp.gnu.org i didnt find them. why?
i had somehow missed the fact that they are distributed in
packages. duh!

> GNU software started off being distributed by Richard Stallman on
> magnetic tapes. You can still get GNU software (strictly speaking) from
> GNU's web site. This makes up a small amount of all the software found
> on a typical Linux system, so you may still need to check other sites.
> But after wasting all this effort you'd very likely find that you have
> had pretty much the same source code all along on your distro CD.

yepp i was only after the gnu things.
and i dont have a cd, nor rpm[s] or such. just ethernet.

  thanks / alex k