From: "Allen L. Barker" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.misc
Subject: utility script zcp available (may be useful for backups)
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2001 06:30:36 -0500

This is a bash shell script utility called zcp
that I wrote to help in making compressed
backups.  It is sort of a compromise between
saving everything in one big compressed tar
file and having a filesystem with transparent
compression, encryption, etc. (which will be nice
when it is part of a stable Linux kernel).
The script works basically like "cp -a", so it should
be fairly intuitive to use.  It makes a copy
of the directory tree structure, except that all
regular files are compressed with gzip to be
.gz files.  In this way you can easily navigate
your backup disks using "cd", and standard tools
like like "gunzip" and "cp" can be used to
recover files.  The files are copied and compressed
one at a time, in case the destination
directory is only large enough to hold a compressed
version of the source directory.  The
integrity of files in directories copied with zcp
can be checked with the recursive integrity
check option of gzip.

There are several zcp options, including an
option to tar and compress directories deeper
than some preset depth in the directory tree.
Besides gzipping, the program can also gunzip
a directory or file (returning it to its original
condition).  Other options allow you to encrypt or
decrypt the regular files with gpg symmetric
encryption, create a directory of symbolic links,
or make a directory of html redirection pages.

The zcp script is here:

   http://www.datafilter.com/software/zcp

Be sure to turn on execute
permissions, i.e., run "chmod +x zcp".  For
documentation, run the program without arguments or
else look at the top of the source file.
Only tested on RedHat 7.0 Linux, and there is
some dependence on the output of the "stat"
command for copying file permissions.

Comments welcome; Enjoy!

--
Allen L. Barker
http://www.datafilter.com

------------------------------

From: goble@gtech (David. E. Goble)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup,alt.linux
Subject: help:Could not determine local IP address
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2001 11:38:14 GMT

Hi all;

This is pissing me off! I can dialin and login, but the connection
disconnects almost straight away. The log file informs me that;

"Could not determine local IP address"

############ hosts #########
127.0.0.1               gtech localhost.localdomain localhost
192.168.0.25          rgtech

############ options.srv #######
auth
-detach
login
asyncmap 0
:192.168.0.25
debug
modem
crtscts
proxyarp

############### pap-secrets ############
user1 *       "" *
user2 *       "" *

############ /var/log/ppp ##############
Feb 24 14:50:27 gtech pppd[773]: Using interface ppp0
Feb 24 14:50:27 gtech pppd[773]: Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/ttyS2
Feb 24 14:50:27 gtech pppd[773]: sent [LCP ConfReq id=0x1 <asyncmap
Feb 24 14:50:27 gtech pppd[773]: rcvd [LCP ConfAck id=0x1 <asyncmap
Feb 24 14:50:29 gtech pppd[773]: rcvd [LCP ConfReq id=0x5 <asyncmap
Feb 24 14:50:29 gtech pppd[773]: sent [LCP ConfAck id=0x5 <asyncmap
Feb 24 14:50:29 gtech pppd[773]: rcvd [PAP AuthReq id=0x1 user="user1"
password=<hidden>]
Feb 24 14:50:30 gtech pppd[773]: user user1 logged in
Feb 24 14:50:33 gtech pppd[773]: Could not determine local IP address
Feb 24 14:50:33 gtech pppd[773]: Connection terminated.
Feb 24 14:50:33 gtech pppd[773]: Connect time 0.1 minutes.
Feb 24 14:50:33 gtech pppd[773]: Sent 454 bytes, received 415 bytes.
Feb 24 14:50:33 gtech pppd[773]: Exit.

I would really like to get this working :> so if anyone can shed some
light on any solutions please help, thanks.

------------------------------

From: NDQ <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Conectiva Documentation?
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2001 12:39:26 +0100

Joel Doucet wrote:

> 2 Questions
>       First, I installed Conectiva Linux which is like the only Linux
> distro in the world that I found was easy to install on my HP 6740c.  I
> went to the website and I practically went INSANE when I saw that the
> online manuals are in Spanish!  Is there a place where I can find a copy in
> English? Are there language translators that would do the job?
>
>      Second, when I installed I clicked on minimum install because I just
> wanted to try it.  Anyway, when I got into the program, the only thing I
> saw was something that said "xtern" and there wasn't anything else on the
> screen.  So, I couldn't do anything.  How do I get something similar to
> windows like the other distros?

You have to install KDE or GNOME
--
NGUYEN-DAI Quy
http://vnilux.com

------------------------------

From: Dean Thompson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup,alt.linux
Subject: Re: help:Could not determine local IP address
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2001 22:46:58 +1100

Hi!,

> This is pissing me off! I can dialin and login, but the connection
> disconnects almost straight away. The log file informs me that;
>
> "Could not determine local IP address"

Can I ask a silly question.  I noticed that in your options.srv file you
specify a IP address of 192.168.0.25.  Is this the address you wish to
allocate to your own local machine, because if you are dialing a ISP, then
surely it would be giving you the IP address rather than you specifiying it.

If you were specifying it, I would have though that it would have been a
number not in the class C range.

See ya

Dean Thompson

--
+______________________________+____________________________________________+
|   Dean Thompson              | E-mail  - [EMAIL PROTECTED] |

------------------------------

From: Jean-David Beyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How to auto login ?
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2001 07:25:47 -0500

Arctic Storm wrote:

> > > Is there a way to setup the boot process, so that one of the accounts
> > > will be automatically logged in,...
> > > I have RedHat 7 and Ximian GNOME.  When I boot, I'm presented with the
> > > Ximian login window, so that I can enter the account name and password.
> > > I would like the regular user account to login automatically.
> > > Thanks.
> >
> > I never tried it, but I suppose you could have a startup script at the
> > end of file (if you are running Red Hat Linux) /etc/rc.d/rc.local that
> > started up a process on one of the virtual terminals that was a
> > logged-in shell for that user.
> >
> > I suggest not doing it, though, as that would mean that anyone who
> > turned on the machine could do anything that that logged in user could
> > do.
> >
> > If you require a login for all users, it is somewhat more difficult to
> > turn on the machine and get logged in. It can definately be done, and
> > you can acquire root priviledges, but you have to know a bit to do
> > that.
>
> I live alone, and I'm the only one who use my computer in the apartment; no
> security issue here.

You have no cleaning lady? Have you violated your lease and changed
the locks so that the building maintenance staff, etc., cannot gain
access to your apartment when you are not there? Are you sure your
apartment will never be burgled? ...?

--
 .~.  Jean-David Beyer           Registered Linux User 85642.
 /V\                             Registered Machine    73926.

------------------------------

From: "Massimiliano Caovilla" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: rc.d and redhat's setup/services
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2001 12:34:58 GMT

Villy Kruse <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> You also need to add the magic comment into the start script si
> chkconfig can handle it.

It was that! I missed the chkconfig: comment. (How did I expect setup to
GUESS at wich runlevel start my service ;-P)
Thank you, it's working now.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (F. Heitkamp)
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2001 07:43:44
Subject: Re: Do I need Lilo to boot from a partition?

In message <zaao6.1663$[EMAIL PROTECTED]> - "Tauno Voipio"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>"F. Heitkamp" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> I have OS/2 Bootmanager and Lilo installed on
>> my Linux partition.  I have been unable to get
>> the latest kernels to boot using the latest lilo.
>> I always get "No setup signature found".  I
>> wonder if there is some weird conflict with
>> my harddisk; a 4.x GB Seagate UW SCSI.  Anyway,
>> is there a way to boot without Lilo or using
>> a floppy (which I do now.) or booting to DOS etc.
>>

>The problem may be in the SCSI controller BIOS. Both the Boot Manager and
>the LILO loader (/bin/boot.b) need to use the BIOS to access the hard disk.
>If the partition you are trying to boot is above cylinder 1023 and your BIOS
>does not have extended cylinder numbering support, the boot is not able to
>access the part of disk needed to start up.

I guess I need to add that my bootmanager/Lilo setup is
able to boot 2.2.x, and some 2.3.x kernels fine.  This
problem has come with only the 2.4.x kernels on that
particular disk.  The 2.4.x kernels work fine on a Debian
partition on another HD in the same system on the same
SCSI controller; a LSILogic UW card.  That disks is also a
UW 4.3GB Seagate but a older model that evidently came out
of a Sun workstation.

I have also wondered if there is a byte/bit or a couple
of bytes of some old Lilo on the disk somewhere that is
messing up Lilo or the kernel, but I don't know where
to look for such things.  The disk has had Linux on it
for a long time.

Fred

------------------------------

From: Ken Moffat <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.powerpc,alt.os.linux.mandrake
Subject: Re: fvwm roll-up window shade.
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2001 04:43:38 -0800

Rick wrote:

> Does anyone know what roll-up window shading is and how it works in
> fvwm2? I am hoping it is like window shading in other managers...
> double-click on the title bar and the the window "rolls" up till just
> the title bar is left.
>
> Any and all info appreciated.
> --
> Rick

I use xfce, which is sort of like that, and Yes, it rolls up till just
the title bar is showing. In xfce the right click does it, double click
toggles full screen.
--
Ken Moffat

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: source for basic utils like ftp/cp/mv... where?
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2001 13:26:10 +0100

Alex K <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Harlan Grove wrote:
>>
>> Alex K <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> > "Peter T. Breuer" wrote:
>> Uh, who said ftp.gnu.org was where any distribution maker 'gets' their
>> source code? I'd imagine Red Hat, Caldera, SuSE, TurboLinux and all
>> other original distribution packagers use the source code they already
>> have. And they wouldn't go to ftp.gnu.org for XFree86, KDE, Perl,
>> Python, Tcl/Tk, etc. not to mention the Linux kernel itself.

> well they didnt get it from themselves when creating the very first distro.

There is no "first distro". And they got it from the authors .. you
seem to have a hard time accepting this fact: there is no organised
central distribution of anything. Things do not come from one place.
They are written and rewritten by many people, sometimes working
together and sometimes working against each other. Distros make a
selection from what is "out there" and compile and integrate it for
you. That is their contribution.

> and i wasnt talking about X or python, only those basic things,
> apparently the gnu utils.

Which do not include ftp(d or c), for one thing.

> first time i looked at ftp.gnu.org i didnt find them. why?
> i had somehow missed the fact that they are distributed in
> packages. duh!

If you mean gnu fileutils, then they are indeed distributed in a
package. Look on your distro and ask which package the binaries you are
interested in come from. Then get the srpm, or sdeb (:-) or the tar.gz,
and see where it says the source and the author is located.

> yepp i was only after the gnu things.

Then you won't mind if you don't get a basic editor ... (I doubt this
guy's gonna go for emacs ...). Oh shucks, ed has an info page ...
but at first glance it's not of fsf origin.

> and i dont have a cd, nor rpm[s] or such. just ethernet.

That's all you need. It's more than you need. It means you have
everything. Now you know how to go about discovering where things you
are interested in might come from, you can have a ball.

From: Robert Hofmann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.x,de.comp.os.linux,de.comp.os.linux.hardware,de.comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: XFree86 4.0.2 Troubles!!!
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2001 13:47:20 +0100

Hi all,

maybe somebody can help me configuring my Linux system (SuSE 7.1 prof.). I am
not able to get a usable resolution on my two systems. Using XF336, all works.
My monitor supports 30-100kHz, 50-170Hz.

On my Compaq AP200 at work (128MB, ELSA Gloria Synergy 8MB), using XF336, I
have 1280x1024x24bit in ~85kHz. Trying it with XF402, I only get something
around 54Hz. It is not possible to work with this! Any idea how to tune XF402
to have 1280x1024x24bit in a resonable sync (somewere >75Hz)?

On my LapTop (ASUS F7400, 160MB, ATI RAGE PRO LT 8MB), i have the same problem
whan trying it with an external monitor (using Win2k, I have 1280x1024x24bit
in 75Hz.). The horizontal frequency is very very poor. Simply not usable.

Well, I am, lets say, a novice in configuring XF, so maybe it is just to my
poor know-how.

Could anybody please help me? Any hint/help is very welcome!

Kind regards,
        Robert

------------------------------

From: Steve Martin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2001 07:58:10 -0500

Dean Thompson wrote:

> Can I ask a silly question.  I noticed that in your options.srv file you
> specify a IP address of 192.168.0.25.  Is this the address you wish to
> allocate to your own local machine, because if you are dialing a ISP, then
> surely it would be giving you the IP address rather than you specifiying it.
>
> If you were specifying it, I would have though that it would have been a
> number not in the class C range.

...and, in any case, no ISP will allocate an IP address in the
192.168.0 subnet, as that falls in the range of addresses
reserved for networks not connected to the Internet.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Yvan Loranger)
Subject: Re: Xfree and xvidtune
Date: 5 Mar 2001 13:26:31 GMT

root ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) writes:
> I just installed RH 7.1 beta with XFree 4.02. It works fine except that
> when I go in graphical mode, the screen is displaced to the right. I use
> xvidtune to fix this. xvidtune gives me this as output:
>
> Vendor: Monitor Vendor, Model: Monitor Model
> Num hsync: 1, Num vsync: 1
> hsync range 0: 31.50 - 57.00
> vsync range 0: 50.00 - 90.00
> "1024x768"    75.00    1024 1080 1216 1376    768 771 777 798 - hsync
> -vsync
>
> So I added the last line in my XF86Config file. When I restart the
> Xserver, the screen is still displaced to the right. It seems it didn't
> recognize what I put in the XF86Config. I've looked at all the
> documentation at examples I could find but I'm still doing something
> wrong. Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong? I've included my
> XF86Config file bellow.
>
> [ snip ]

Not familiar with RH but I find peculiar the name 'Screen0' in your Screen
section; I would have expected svga or accel or ..? XF86Config can exist
in a number of places like /var/X11R6/lib or /etc so maybe you have >1
XF86Config & an old version is still being read?

--
Merci.........................Yvan     Pour le plein air: Club Vertige
 [EMAIL PROTECTED]     http://www.ncf.ca/vertige

------------------------------

From: "Roland Zumkeller" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.debian.user,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: sound only with xmms!?
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2001 14:40:10 +0100

Hi,
I've got some trouble setting up sound. I compiled a kernel (2.4.2) with
support for my sound card. When I run xmms and play a song it works. But
with any other application it doesn't. When I start one of the mixers it
says "No device found." or something similiar. In the logfiles I
sometimes see complaints about "/dev/dsp" missing. The device is in the file
system, though.
What am I doing wrong here?

Thanks for any help,

- Roland

------------------------------

From: "Eric" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2001 14:59:36 +0100

> I guess I need to add that my bootmanager/Lilo setup is
> able to boot 2.2.x, and some 2.3.x kernels fine.  This
> problem has come with only the 2.4.x kernels on that
> particular disk.  The 2.4.x kernels work fine on a Debian
> partition on another HD in the same system on the same
> SCSI controller; a LSILogic UW card.  That disks is also a
> UW 4.3GB Seagate but a older model that evidently came out
> of a Sun workstation.

So you copy a working kernel from the debian system to this PC.
add it to lilo.conf,
run `/sbin/lilo -v`
and when you reboot, only this new kernel cannot be booted?

Is it under cyl. 1024?

> I have also wondered if there is a byte/bit or a couple
> of bytes of some old Lilo on the disk somewhere that is
> messing up Lilo or the kernel, but I don't know where
> to look for such things.  The disk has had Linux on it
> for a long time.

You did run `/sbin/lilo -v` ?

Eric

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Yvan Loranger)
Subject: Re: Virus checker for Linuix?
Date: 5 Mar 2001 14:07:50 GMT

Chris Gordon-Smith ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) writes:
> I've been running Linux for a month or so now and have yet to come across a
> virus checker. It would be nice to think that the apparent lack of such
> tools is due to viruses being less common in the Linux world than
> elsewhere. However, I assume that viruses do exist in the Linux / Unix
> world.
> Can anyone recommend a good virus checker for Linux?

& now the other side of the coin -

Possible scenario: I receive an email. The idiot sender attached a MS-Word
document, with a virus. I wish to forward to a poor colleague who uses
win9x [or I wish to save for when I will later dual-boot under win9x & I
only like on-demand virus-checking so let's virus-check now before I
forget]. Being a good corporate citizen I don't want to send malware to my
colleague.
So I could save the attachment, run a ms-dos/windows based anti-viral
program using DOSEMU or WINE then forward a reconstructed email if need be.
My personal solution is running f-prot under dosemu. Works for me.