Linux-Misc Digest #288, Volume #27                Mon, 5 Mar 01 16:13:05 EST

Contents:
  /dev/sndstat (Young4ert)
  Re: sound only with xmms!? (Eric P. McCoy)
  forwarding mail to newsgroup?? (Bill Tangren)
  Re: LILO + Mylex 170 ("Steve Wolfe")
  Tell SCSI drive to spin down? (Ken Williams)
  Java2 on FreeBSD ("Cristian Tota")
  Re: Goodwins Law: Thread now dead (Was: Re: MS to Enforce Registration - or Else)
("Edward Rosten")
  base64 decoder: juju. Where'd it go?? (Kevin Collins)
  Re: Virus checker for Linuix? (Brian V. Smith)
  Re: Java2 on FreeBSD (Mikhail Kruk)
  Re: Tell SCSI drive to spin down? (Stefano Ghirlanda)
  Re: Virus checker for Linuix? (Robert Heller)
  Re: Xfree and xvidtune (Martin Lemenu)
  Minilogd and Syslog-NG ("Brian E. Seppanen")
  Re: Goodwins Law: Thread now dead (Was: Re: MS to Enforce Registration - or Else)
(Floyd Davidson)
  Re: What Linux distribution for RISC ? (Joel)
  Re: Tell SCSI drive to spin down? (Drew Roedersheimer)
  Re: XFree86 4.0.2 Troubles!!! (Toby Haynes)
  Re: Remote Admin ("Chris S")

From: Young4ert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: /dev/sndstat
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2001 17:02:24 GMT

Hi,

I have a Linux machine composed of an Asus K7M mobo with an AMD Athlon CPU
and a Voodo 3500 TV AGP card running SuSE 7.0 Pro Linux distro.  I have the
latest ALSA package installed on the system as modules and it is able to
produce/generate sound.  Invoking the 'lsmod' showed the the ALSA as well
as the v3tv modules as follows:

#####
Module                  Size  Used by
snd-seq-oss            30112   0 (autoclean)
snd-seq-midi            3664   0
snd-seq-midi-event      3312   0 [snd-seq-oss snd-seq-midi]
snd-seq                42912   0 [snd-seq-oss snd-seq-midi
snd-seq-midi-event]
snd-card-via686a        7584  61
snd-pcm                31776   0 [snd-card-via686a]
snd-timer               8672   0 [snd-seq snd-pcm]
snd-ac97-codec         24672   0 [snd-card-via686a]
snd-mixer              24656  61 [snd-ac97-codec]
snd-mpu401-uart         2672   0 [snd-card-via686a]
snd-rawmidi            10080   0 [snd-seq-midi snd-mpu401-uart]
snd-seq-device          4176   0 [snd-seq-oss snd-seq-midi snd-seq
snd-rawmidi]
snd                    36608   4 [snd-seq-oss snd-seq-midi
snd-seq-midi-event snd-seq snd-card-via686a snd-pcm snd-timer
snd-ac97-codec snd-mixer snd-mpu401-uart snd-rawmidi snd-seq-device]
v3tv                   23120   0 (unused)
voodoo-mixer            4016   0 (unused)
voodoo-tuner            3632   1
voodoo-msp3400         14224   1
vpx322x                 8224   0 [v3tv]
i2c-algo-bit            7280   1 [v3tv]
ipv6                  120720  -1 (autoclean)
#####

I can watch TV as well as playing CD audio.  However, when I do a `cat
/dev/sndstat`, it responded with "cat: /dev/sndstat: No such device".  I
know the /dev/sndstat device is there and `ls -l` returned the following:

        crw-rw-rw-   1 root     audio     14,   6 Feb 24 23:16 /dev/sndstat

Does this mean my ALSA setup is wrong?  IF so, does anyone have any idea
how to setup the ALSA for the Asus K7M mobo?

TIA.

Subject: Re: sound only with xmms!?
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Eric P. McCoy)
Date: 05 Mar 2001 12:26:50 -0500

"Roland Zumkeller" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I've got some trouble setting up sound. I compiled a kernel (2.4.2) with
> support for my sound card. When I run xmms and play a song it works. But
> with any other application it doesn't. When I start one of the mixers it
> says "No device found." or something similiar. In the logfiles I
> sometimes see complaints about "/dev/dsp" missing. The device is in the file
> system, though.
> What am I doing wrong here?

If you're using the Enlightened Sound Daemon (esound), it will grab
more-or-less exclusive access to whatever device file your sound card
uses.  This is likely the case for any other sound daemons as well.
There may be a way around this; my way was to do "apt-get remove
esound".

--
Eric McCoy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  "Knowing that a lot of people across the world with Geocities sites

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bill Tangren)
Date: 05 Mar 2001 17:32:39 GMT
Subject: forwarding mail to newsgroup??

Is it possible to automatically forward incoming mail to a newsgroup? We would
like to have webmaster and help mail forwarded to in internal newsgroup. How
would I go about doing this? I am running RH 7.0, kernel 2.2.17-14, sendmail
8.11.0-8, procmail 3.14-5, inn 2.2.3-3
Bill Tangren
U.S.Naval Observatory

------------------------------

From: "Steve Wolfe" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: LILO + Mylex 170
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2001 10:25:13 -0700

> If  "lilo -T geom" didn't find it, chances are it does not exist.  A
second
> check can be from the lilo source code directory, do a "make floppy"; boot
> this floppy.  It runs "lilo -T geom" in real mode, in the exact boot
> environment that the boot loader sees.  If it does no see any more device
> codes, then they are not being assigned by the BIOS.  You are out of luck.

  I'll give that a try, and pour through the RAID config again.  Thanks,
amigo.

> You can put the LILO boot directory on a DOS partition on the IDE drive.
LILO
> is happy with the files there.  Just don't move them.  (Disk defrag,
e.g.).

  Yeah, I had just hoped to avoid things like that....

steve

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ken Williams)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Tell SCSI drive to spin down?
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2001 18:20:32 GMT

I have a second scsi drive I use to back my stuff up too.  When its not in use
I though I would spin it down to safe its life.  Anyone know how to do this?

Kernel 2.2.18
Two SCSI UW 9.1 Seagate Barracuda XL18
Buslogic BT-958 Controller

From: "Cristian Tota" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.hipcrime.lang.java,comp.lang.java.help,comp.lang.java.machine,comp.lang.java.programmer,comp.lang.java.security,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
Subject: Java2 on FreeBSD
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2001 20:28:53 +0200

Hi,

Can anyone tell me if Java2 Runtime works on FreeBSD? I have installed it
and I get an exception (class not defined) on anything I run. I can't figure
out yet if it's a settings problem or if java can't run at all on FreeBSD.
Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Cristian

------------------------------

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.test,misc.test,uk.test
Subject: Re: Goodwins Law: Thread now dead (Was: Re: MS to Enforce Registration - or
Else)
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2001 18:46:43 +0000

> Edward Rosten <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> did eloquently scribble:
>> <AK>
>
>> *******FUCK******* Goodwin
>
>> </AK>
>>

> WHO?????

Aaron Kulkis.

This is his response to any hint of a mention og Goodwin's law.

-Ed

--
                                                     | Edward Rosten
                                                     | u98ejr@
             This argument is a beta version.        | ecs.ox

------------------------------

From: Kevin Collins <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: base64 decoder: juju. Where'd it go??
Date: 5 Mar 2001 09:55:44 -0800

Anyone know what happened to juju, terminal base64 decoder??

The Freshmeat entry is gone and it's not on the old homepage either:

http://hottemax.uni-muenster.de/~grover/juju.html

Pointer to new home would be great if you know it.

thanx-
Kevin

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Brian V. Smith)
Subject: Re: Virus checker for Linuix?
Date: 5 Mar 2001 18:47:25 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Jean-David Beyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
writes:
|> Penpal International wrote:
|> >
|> > Virus are almost non-existance under linux. The are a few, but they
|> > don't affect the system if they aren't invoked as root.
|> > You really don't have to worry about virusses under linux...
|>
|> A bit optimistic, IMAO. About 15 years ago, Bob Morris's son wrote a
|> virus (actually, a worm) that got out of control and seriously messed
|> up a lot of Unix machines for a few days. It got in through a
|> configuration mistake in a lot of copies of sendmail.

Exactly - it was a worm, not a virus.  Please stick to the actual subject.

Brian V. Smith ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) http://www-epb.lbl.gov/BVSmith
Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory
I don't speak for LBL; they don't pay me enough for that.
Check out the xfig site at http://www-epb.lbl.gov/xfig

 To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the
 glass is half empty. To the engineer, the glass is twice as big
 as it needs to be.

------------------------------

From: Mikhail Kruk <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
Subject: Re: Java2 on FreeBSD
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2001 14:09:48 -0500

There is a beta-status native port in /usr/ports/java/jdk12-beta/
I don't know how finished it is.
You can also try linux jdks which work just fine under emulation.

------------------------------

From: Stefano Ghirlanda <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Tell SCSI drive to spin down?
Date: 05 Mar 2001 20:34:00 +0100

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ken Williams) writes:

> I have a second scsi drive I use to back my stuff up too.  When its
> not in use I though I would spin it down to safe its life.  Anyone
> know how to do this?

Look at the -S option to hdparm, man hdparm.

--
Stefano - Hodie tertio Nonas Martias MMI est

------------------------------

From: Robert Heller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 5 Mar 2001 13:45:15 -0600

  [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Yvan Loranger),
  In a message on 5 Mar 2001 14:07:50 GMT, wrote :

YL> Chris Gordon-Smith ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) writes:
YL> > I've been running Linux for a month or so now and have yet to come across a
YL> > virus checker. It would be nice to think that the apparent lack of such
YL> > tools is due to viruses being less common in the Linux world than
YL> > elsewhere. However, I assume that viruses do exist in the Linux / Unix
YL> > world.
YL> > Can anyone recommend a good virus checker for Linux?
YL>
YL> & now the other side of the coin -
YL>
YL> Possible scenario: I receive an email. The idiot sender attached a MS-Word
YL> document, with a virus. I wish to forward to a poor colleague who uses
YL> win9x [or I wish to save for when I will later dual-boot under win9x & I
YL> only like on-demand virus-checking so let's virus-check now before I
YL> forget]. Being a good corporate citizen I don't want to send malware to my
YL> colleague.
YL> So I could save the attachment, run a ms-dos/windows based anti-viral
YL> program using DOSEMU or WINE then forward a reconstructed email if need be.
YL> My personal solution is running f-prot under dosemu. Works for me.

I believe there are *native running* virus checkers -- they run under
Linux and check for MS-Windows viruses.  This *normally* makes sense if
you are, say, running a FTP server on a Linux box and want to check the
uploads, but I guess it also makes sense (now) if you are running a mail
server on a Linux box and want to filter infected E-Mail.

--
                                     \/
Robert Heller                        ||InterNet:   [EMAIL PROTECTED]

          ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION **
             http://www.nuthinbutnews.com

------------------------------

From: Martin Lemenu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Xfree and xvidtune
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2001 14:52:24 -0500

Yep, you were right. It was looking at old version of XF86Config. I was
looking at XF86Config-4. Why would it look at that one, I have no idea! I just
deleted it and everything works fine now.

Thanks for the help!
Martin

From: "Brian E. Seppanen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: redhat.servers.general
Subject: Minilogd and Syslog-NG
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2001 15:09:17 -0500

Hello:

I have a server which is running redhat linux 7.0.  This server takes
logs from varies machines upon our network and is running syslog-ng as a
replacement for syslog (Please consider replacing syslogd with syslog-ng
in future releases).  I've read some documentation regarding minilogd
from redhat's website and my understanding is that it plays a role in
the bootup process of redhat boxes, until syslog takes over for it.
Well I'm having a troublesome problem with minilogd well after bootup
and init.  I have a monitoring script that runs every five minutes and
checks for the syslog-ng process.  I do this by grepping the process
listing for the process id listed in the syslog-ng pid file, if it lists
the process then were ok and the process is still running, if not it
errors out and restarts syslog-ng (i.e. ps -eo pid,command | grep `cat
/var/run/syslog-ng.pid` | grep -v grep).  I've had syslog-ng die on me
periodically.  Each time it restarts I also find an occurrence of
minilogd running.  I have no idea how minilogd is getting started, and
I'm beginning to wonder if minilogd is stomping all over syslog-ng.  No
core files have been dropped during the filming of this.

Anyone have any ideas?
--
Brian Seppanen
Charter Communications

------------------------------

From: Floyd Davidson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 05 Mar 2001 10:47:46 -0900

"Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>wrote:
>
>> Edward Rosten <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> did eloquently scribble:
>>> <AK>
>>
>>> *******FUCK******* Goodwin
>>
>>> </AK>
>>>

>> WHO?????
>
>Aaron Kulkis.
>
>This is his response to any hint of a mention og Goodwin's law.
>
>-Ed

Godwin's Law is named for Mike Godwin.

--
Floyd L. Davidson         <http://www.ptialaska.net/~floyd>
Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)                 [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Joel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: What Linux distribution for RISC ?
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2001 20:30:10 -0000

Thanks for the information!

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Drew Roedersheimer)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2001 20:35:48 GMT

On Mon, 05 Mar 2001 18:20:32 GMT, Ken Williams wrote:
>I have a second scsi drive I use to back my stuff up too.  When its not in use
>I though I would spin it down to safe its life.  Anyone know how to do this?
>
>Kernel 2.2.18
>Two SCSI UW 9.1 Seagate Barracuda XL18
>Buslogic BT-958 Controller
>
>Thanks

I asked a similar question in one of my school's newsgroups, and here's one
of the responses I got:

From: Pierre Baldensperger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: SCSI spindown

 There was a program called 'scsi-idle' allowing you to set up a spindown
 timeout for SCSI drives. However, beware of spinning SCSI hard drives up
 and down. If you usually never use the drive, that's okay, but if this
 manipulation makes the drive spin up and down like 6 times a day, you
 should better let it spin all the time to avoid shortening its life. SCSI
 drives are usually specified to have a longer lifetime than IDE drives,
 but this takes different constraints into account : since SCSI is usually
 used in servers or workstations that are rarely shut down / rebooted, the
 emphasis is put on durability while spinning and you can check from the
 specs that the MTBF is indeed very big, but the number of allowed spin up
 / spin down cycles is much smaller than for average IDE drives, which are
 engineered in prospect to run W and as such to be rebooted all the time.

After some followups, the answer I got was that if I wanted to spin the
drive down once a week or so, that would probably be ok, but I should
check with the drive's specs.  That being said, the drive life of SCSI
disks is usually limited by the spin up/down cycles - not the hours in
use...

HTH
-DR

--
Build a system that even a fool can use and only a fool will want to use it.

------------------------------

From: Toby Haynes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.x,de.comp.os.linux,de.comp.os.linux.hardware,de.comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: XFree86 4.0.2 Troubles!!!
Date: 05 Mar 2001 15:30:53 -0500

On Mon, 05 Mar 2001, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> maybe somebody can help me configuring my Linux system (SuSE 7.1 prof.). I am
> not able to get a usable resolution on my two systems. Using XF336, all
> works.  My monitor supports 30-100kHz, 50-170Hz.
>
> On my Compaq AP200 at work (128MB, ELSA Gloria Synergy 8MB), using XF336, I
> have 1280x1024x24bit in ~85kHz. Trying it with XF402, I only get something
> around 54Hz. It is not possible to work with this! Any idea how to tune XF402
> to have 1280x1024x24bit in a resonable sync (somewere >75Hz)?

Two possibilities - either there is no suitable mode defined (something which
is highly unlikely with 4.0.x as there are a large collection of default modes)
or you have the wrong monitor refresh rates in the /etc/X11/XF86Config-4
file. XFree86 picks the best mode it can use with the monitor.

Make a backup copy of the /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file. Dig out your favourite
editor as root and look through for something which starts Section
"Monitor". It should look something like this (based on the numbers you gave
above).

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier   "Monitor0"
        VendorName   "COMPAQ"
        ModelName    "AP2000"
# These two values should be appropriate to your monitor
# Horizontal Sync in units of kHz
        HorizSync    30.0-100.0
# Vertical refresh rate in units of Hz
        VertRefresh  50.0-170.0
EndSection

The important lines are the HorizSync and VertRefresh ones - the rest is just
window dressing (except the Identifier which is used in the Section
"ServerLayout" part).

> On my LapTop (ASUS F7400, 160MB, ATI RAGE PRO LT 8MB), i have the same
> problem whan trying it with an external monitor (using Win2k, I have
> 1280x1024x24bit in 75Hz.). The horizontal frequency is very very poor. Simply
> not usable.

Should be a similar fix if this is the same problem.

Cheers,
Toby Haynes

--

Toby Haynes
The views and opinions expressed in this message are my own, and do

------------------------------

From: "Chris S" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Remote Admin
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2001 14:51:04 -0600

Telnet :), or VNC, VNC can be found using any search engine

news:J9Po6.10827$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2001 20:57:52 +0000

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Floyd Davidson"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>>wrote:
>>
>>> Edward Rosten <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> did eloquently scribble:

>>> WHO?????
>>
>>Aaron Kulkis.
>>
>>This is his response to any hint of a mention og Goodwin's law.
>>
>>-Ed
>
> Godwin's Law is named for Mike Godwin.

Is that true?

-Ed