From: Gary <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: GNU Pascal?
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2001 15:59:04 -0500

I downloaded the GNU pascal, and wondered if there is a
compiled version
I can... gasp... BUY?

Is there something in GNU Pascal that needs to customize
itself to
the machine being installed to?

  Regards,

    Gary

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2001 14:18:26 -0700
From: "D. Stimits" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: /dev/sndstat

/dev/sndstat is deprecated. Possibly your linux distribution is new
enough that it no longer supports it.

------------------------------

From: "Tom Edelbrok" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Help with FTP please
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2001 21:12:27 GMT

Why don't you download "nmap", a great little port sniffer that you can run
against an ip address. Use it to verify that ftp is open on the target
system.

Also, one time I had a problem with long time-outs in ftp, and found that I
had to have a valid internet connection to get proper, quick response. Must
have been due to a domain name resolution somewhere.

But if it says "Service not available" then I suspect that the service is
not available, (when all else fails, believe the message!).

Tom

news:A_Co6.4141$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: Guy Vivier <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: KT7A RAID et linux
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2001 22:52:58 +0100

J'ai fais l'acquisition d'une carte KT7A raid , j'ai pluger mon disk dur
Western digital
sur IDE3 pour bénéficier de ATA100. Lors de l'installation de la
mandrake 7.1
ainsi que pour la redhat 7.0, j'ai le message suivant:

An error has occured. no valid devices were found
on which to create new filesystems.
please check your hardware for the cause of this probléme.

Pouvez-vous me dépanner sur ce probléme.
Merci d'avance

------------------------------

From: Dan Kegel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux is always slow th enext morning, a cry for help!
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2001 21:57:16 GMT

Manfred Bartz wrote:

> Hi Dan,
>
> > > Did you compile from source or use a package?
> >
> > From source.
> >
> > I just downloaded qmail-1.03.tar.gz and followed his instructions
> > on a Red Hat 6.2 system.
> > Right off the bat, his instructions produce an error:
> >   useradd: cannot create directory /var/qmail/alias
>
> Hmm, did you create the necessary qmail user accounts before compiling
> the source?  The whole procedure is actually is quite well explained
> but without redundancy.  ;)  You really need to make sure you fully
> understand each step and then implement it before you go on to the
> next step.  First time I did it I had problems too.  :/

Yes, I was following his directions exactly; one of the useradd's choked.

> > Normally, I'd dig in and try to figure out what to do, but
> > his style is so cr.yp.tic that it's discouraging.  The man
> > has a serious attitude.
>
> I'd have to agree that DJB is not the easiest personality to get along
> with.  However, the software he produces is outstanding.  In the end
> it is up to the sysadmin to decide if the quality of the solution
> outweighs the issues one might have with the attitudes of the author.

His attitude comes through in the doc and the install process,
though.  The man AND the software he produces is way out there,
and take getting used to.

He often tries to lead, and fails.  Ever see his proposal
for a 'simple human readable ftp DIR output'?  The man
thinks he's a one-man IETF, and sometimes it misfires.
- Dan

------------------------------

From: Dan Kegel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2001 21:58:19 GMT

David wrote:
> > > I just downloaded qmail-1.03.tar.gz and followed his instructions
> > > on a Red Hat 6.2 system.
> > > Right off the bat, his instructions produce an error:
> > >   useradd: cannot create directory /var/qmail/alias
>
> Since it is a redhat 6.2 system you might find this ".spec" file to be
> of help. It does almost everything except some of the configuration
> files.

Thanks, that might help a bunch!
- Dan

------------------------------

Subject: Odd behavior at login
From: suid <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 05 Mar 2001 04:03:20 -0500
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help

Hello,

I am running RH7.0 with kernel 2.2.16-22. Just upgraded from RH6.0 kernel 2.2.14-12 a
couple of weeks ago. Everything has been smooth until today.

Now, when I login, after the issue and motd display, I get:

bash: /dev/null: Permission denied
bash: /dev/null: Permission denied

It comes up twice like that before I get a command prompt. It just started happening
today. I get the errors no matter which account I log in with (except root). Nothing
in my .bashrc or .bash_profile settings seems to pipe any output to /dev/null, where
is this coming from?

Any ideas or advice of where to look or what may be causing this problem?

thank you,

suid

------------------------------

From: "Darren S Paxton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Remote Admin
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2001 20:26:34 -0000

As someone in the group already said, VNC is perfect for remote desktop
applications. I use it for remote admin functions from windows->windows
machines as well as windows-> linux machines.

Darren
news:J9Po6.10827$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: Chris Gordon-Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Virus checker for Linuix?
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2001 22:16:56 +0000

Chris Gordon-Smith wrote:

> I've been running Linux for a month or so now and have yet to come across
> a virus checker. It would be nice to think that the apparent lack of such
> tools is due to viruses being less common in the Linux world than
> elsewhere. However, I assume that viruses do exist in the Linux / Unix
> world.
>
> Can anyone recommend a good virus checker for Linux?

Thanks to those who have posted responses.  My conclusions from the
postings so far, plus some other related thoughts, are shown below.  Its
possible that I may have misunderstood some of what has been written, or
drawn inappropriate conclusions;  any corrections / comments would be
welcome.

*    Viruses are programs that gain access to a system by 'legitimate'
means. Eg as an Email attachment or on a floppy disc  or CD ROM

*     Viruses that attack Linux are possible, but very rare. Viruses that
gain access to Linux and then attack Windows systems that connect to the
Linux system are more common

*     A Linux virus can only attack files to which the user running the
virus program has access. The damage caused by Linux viruses can be limited
(but not removed altogether) by running any operations potentially
leading to virus attack from a user account, rather than as root.
(Minimising use of root should be standard practice anyway.)

*     Worms attack a system by 'illegitimately' exploiting weaknesses in
network security.  Once on the system they use system facilities to
propagate

*     Linux worms are more more frequent than Linux iruses.  The defence is
good network security.  (in my case, this includes disabling all server
programs on my system, since I only need to run client software at this
stage.)

*     It is not entirely clear why 'true' Linux viruses (those that attck
Linux systems) are so rare.  Possible reasons are:-

     *     Linux systems are less easy for viruses to attack. Eg, use of
application files which contain 'executable' code (eg Word / Excel macros)
is rare on Linux

     *     The file permissions system on Linux means that the damage
caused by a virus is usually limited (unless someone is running as root, in
which case some might say they deserve all they get)

     *      I also suspect that the fact that a large proportion of Linux
systems run network server software means that someone wanting to attack
Linux is more likely to try to do so by exploiting security loopholes

     *      I think that the variety of Linux applications (in contrast to
the relatively small number of Office applications running on Windows)
makes it more difficult to write a virus that will run on many Linux systems

     *      Finally, I think that the relatively small number of Linux
systems in operation (in contrast to Windows systems) means that people
writing viruses are less likely to be using a Linux system, and less likely
to see Linux systems as a target

Chris Gordon-Smith
London UK

------------------------------

From: Young4ert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2001 22:01:39 GMT

Could you please tell me what is the equivalent to /dev/sndstat?

------------------------------

From: "Roland Zumkeller" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: sound only with xmms!?
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2001 23:28:00 +0100

> If you're using the Enlightened Sound Daemon (esound), it will grab
> more-or-less exclusive access to whatever device file your sound card
> uses.  This is likely the case for any other sound daemons as well.
> There may be a way around this; my way was to do "apt-get remove
> esound".

Thanks for the hint. But "fuser /dev/dsp" says no process is using this
device.
I also tried "apt-get remove", but due to dependencies it wants to remov
88 packages, including Gnome, which I don't want. Can these dependencies
be overridden and is it a good idea?

I really just recompiled the kernel with support for my soundcard. Isn't
there something more I have to set up?

Thanks again,

Roland

------------------------------

From: Rick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.powerpc,alt.os.linux.mandrake
Subject: Re: fvwm roll-up window shade.
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2001 17:42:07 -0500

Ken Moffat wrote:

> Rick wrote:
> >
> > Does anyone know what roll-up window shading is and how it works in
> > fvwm2? I am hoping it is like window shading in other managers...
> > double-click on the title bar and the the window "rolls" up till just
> > the title bar is left.
> >
> > Any and all info appreciated.
> > --
> > Rick
>
> I use xfce, which is sort of like that, and Yes, it rolls up till just
> the title bar is showing. In xfce the right click does it, double click
> toggles full screen.
> --
> Ken Moffat
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Im looking for this capability in fvm2.
--
Rick

------------------------------

From: Francis R Bridge {BRIDGE1} <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.protocols.kermit.misc
Subject: Re: Linux as terminal emulator.
Date: 05 Mar 2001 16:42:06 -0600

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Frank da Cruz) writes:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> Jeff Susanj <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> : Paid developers have little incentive to care about users since they only do
> : what the marketing types say.  I would be much more likely to care about
> : users if I was the one talking to the users and deciding what should be
> : included in the next release.  Being a no-name software gerbil in a maze of
> : cubicles does not engender pride in  the product.  The best software is
> : produced by people who are passionate about their product, not necessarily
> : those who are paid big bucks.
> :
> All true.   However, there's a happy medium -- developers in small projects
> like ours, who are not bossed by marketing managers, but instead are in direct
> contact with their user community, and driven by their reports, suggestions,
> ctiticism, requests, and concerns, to the best of our ability to keep up.
> It's not the only model, but it's a good model for us.
>
> By the way, we don't sit in a maze of cubicles either.  Take a look:
>
>   http://www.columbia.edu/~fdc/timeline.html

Quite interesting!  You mention the first Kermit article appeared in BYTE
magazine in June and July of 1984.  Are reprints of that article available?

-Frank (Bridge)

------------------------------

From: Arctic Storm <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How to auto login ?
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2001 23:02:17 GMT

> > > I never tried it, but I suppose you could have a startup script at the
> > > end of file (if you are running Red Hat Linux) /etc/rc.d/rc.local that
> > > started up a process on one of the virtual terminals that was a
> > > logged-in shell for that user.
> > >
> > > I suggest not doing it, though, as that would mean that anyone who
> > > turned on the machine could do anything that that logged in user could
> > > do.
> > >
> > > If you require a login for all users, it is somewhat more difficult to
> > > turn on the machine and get logged in. It can definately be done, and
> > > you can acquire root priviledges, but you have to know a bit to do
> > > that.
> >
> > I live alone, and I'm the only one who use my computer in the apartment;
> > no security issue here.
>
> You have no cleaning lady? Have you violated your lease and changed
> the locks so that the building maintenance staff, etc., cannot gain
> access to your apartment when you are not there? Are you sure your
> apartment will never be burgled? ...?

This is what happens when you stray from your routine regimen of
chlorpromazine (Thorazine).  Schizophrenic paranoia is a serious mental
illness, and unless you plan on working for the Pentagon, CIA, or FreeBSD,
I suggest you refill your prescription of chlorpromazine.

From: "Robert" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: "phone dialer" type program ?
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2001 18:09:45 -0500

Thanks,