Linux-Misc Digest #290, Volume #27                Mon, 5 Mar 01 21:13:02 EST

Contents:
  installing glib (Matt)
  Re: Linux as terminal emulator. (Frank da Cruz)
  Network driver problems on a 2.4 SMP kernel. ("Jason A. Smith")
  How to read a dump from another Unix flavor? (james montoya)
  Parallel port/printer error ("Rodney D. Myers")
  Re: How to auto login ? ("Peter T. Breuer")
  Boot: bad file descriptor, read-only filesystem? (Shaun)
  Re: RH7, Netscape and Shockwave Flash plugin problem. (James Richard Tyrer)
  Re: Boot: bad file descriptor, read-only filesystem? ("Peter T. Breuer")
  Looking for Sound Filetring software ("Alan")
  Re: slrnpull problem ("L.V.Gandhi")
  Re: base64 decoder: juju. Where'd it go?? (Kevin Collins)
  Re: help:Could not determine local IP address (David Efflandt)
  Re: MS Windows XP vs Linux ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Virus checker for Linuix? (John Hasler)
  Re: GNU Pascal? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: base64 decoder: juju. Where'd it go?? (Frank Hahn)
  nixware  618 ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: help:Could not determine local IP address (Dave Brown)
  Re: Redhat 7.0 Doom Installation Problem (Salmaan Shikari)
  Internet access for Linux RedHat 6.1
  Re: vfat-Filesystem and UC/LC-conversion (David Efflandt)
  Re: help:Could not determine local IP address (Hal Burgiss)
  Re: Internet access for Linux RedHat 6.1 (Jean-David Beyer)

From: Matt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: installing glib
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2001 23:30:05 -0000

it doesn't seem like i have a problem installing glib, but when i try
installing gtk, I do.  I use the ./configure --prefix=./bin command like
the readme says, i have even tried eliminating the --prefix command all
together.  the installation goes well, but when configuring gtk, it says
your glib-config --version has reported that you have glib 1.2.9(the
version im trying to install), but it has been detected that you have glib
version 1.2.7, try changing you configuration.  i've tried many things, but
it doesn't seem as if im doing something right.  could someone help me with
this (probably easily fixed) problem? thank you.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Frank da Cruz)
Crossposted-To: comp.protocols.kermit.misc
Subject: Re: Linux as terminal emulator.
Date: 5 Mar 2001 23:30:14 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Francis R Bridge {BRIDGE1}  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Frank da Cruz) writes:
: > By the way, we don't sit in a maze of cubicles either.  Take a look:
: >
: >   http://www.columbia.edu/~fdc/timeline.html
:
: Quite interesting!  You mention the first Kermit article appeared in BYTE
: magazine in June and July of 1984.  Are reprints of that article available?
:
Not exactly reprints, but:

  ftp://kermit.columbia.edu/kermit/e/byte.txt  <-- plain text
  ftp://kermit.columbia.edu/kermit/e/byte.ps   <-- postscript

- Frank

------------------------------

From: "Jason A. Smith" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Network driver problems on a 2.4 SMP kernel.
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2001 23:31:09 GMT

I recently started getting a lot of these messages in my system logs:

kernel: NETDEV WATCHDOG: eth0: transmit timed out

along with the network going down of course.  I am using a 2.4.2 smp
kernel on a dual PII system with a ne2k-pci network card/driver.  I
searched the web and kernel archives mailing list and saw postings of
similar problem going back a year on 2.3.99 kernels, but no real solutions
or replies.  Does anyone here know what the problem is?  I have tried
booting the kernel with the nosmp parameter and have not had any
network problems.  When I boot in smp mode the kernel usually only
lasts a few hours.  Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

~Jason

------------------------------

From: james montoya <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: How to read a dump from another Unix flavor?
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2001 16:20:43 -0700

Is it possible to read a dump format backup from another Unix flavor
with the Linux restore command?

I tried a few restore arguments and got the following at different
times:

gethead: unknown inode type 7
unknown tape header type 7
restore: Cannot find file removal list

restore: Tape is not a dump tape

Thanks in advance for some solutions!
jm

------------------------------

From: "Rodney D. Myers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Parallel port/printer error
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2001 15:42:16 -0800

I had to move my printer from my samba machine (it died) to my Linux
machine. When I ran Printtool, it found the parallel port, after I
reran the lpd daemon.

After a reboot, added another hard drive, the printer does not work.

After I ran dmesg | more, I get the following error;

lp0: using parport0 (polling) lp0: on fire

Any ideas as to what is going on?

I know that the printer works.

Rodney D. Myers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Member of Digital Freedom Alliance
Amateur: KG6ANX            GMRS: WPOM592
ICQ# : 18002350            Have A NORML Day

------------------------------

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How to auto login ?
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2001 00:37:30 +0100

Arctic Storm <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> > no security issue here.
>> You have no cleaning lady? Have you violated your lease and changed
>> the locks so that the building maintenance staff, etc., cannot gain
>> access to your apartment when you are not there? Are you sure your
>> apartment will never be burgled? ...?

> This is what happens when you stray from your routine regimen of
> chlorpromazine (Thorazine).  Schizophrenic paranoia is a serious mental

I was about to say that J-D (was it he?) is taking paranoia very
seriously :-).

> illness, and unless you plan on working for the Pentagon, CIA, or FreeBSD,
> I suggest you refill your prescription of chlorpromazine.

The cleaning ladies are actually responsible for about 70% of the
downtime around here. They disconnect servers, and also scrub keyboards,
clenching them firmly down the left side while wiping the rest with a thick
cloth (think where the ctrl-alt-del keys are).

From: Shaun <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: Boot: bad file descriptor, read-only filesystem?
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2001 23:23:36 GMT

Hi all,

I installed the Redhat 7.0 update last week. The box had been up since
3/1 without incident. This afternoon my cable went out, and after it was
back up I went to reboot the server. Linux had other ideas.

Boot attempts gave me failures with warnings of "dup2: bad file
descriptor" and "read-only filesystem." I got dropped into a shell for
maintenance but couldn't do much of anything; couldn't even mount a
floppy to back up a few files because the filesystem was read-only and
wouldn't let me create a mount point. Booting from the boot disk was the
same situation.

I'm reinstalling now, but I'm curious: what the heck happened and how do
I prevent it from happening again? How does one's filesystem suddenly
get set to read-only? I went through /var/log/messages and
/var/log/secure but didn't see anything too peculiar. I'm poking around
on the Mac now, and haven't found any security advisories which seem to
fit my problem.

If this does happen again, is there a way to set the filesystem back to
read-write? The Redhat 7.0 installer had no problem doing it, even
before formatting.

Thanks in advance,

Shaun

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (remove mypants to email me) | http://www.shaunc.com/
Got a big website? BatchSubmit to search engines | http://www.batchsubmit.com/
#include <std_disclaimer>

------------------------------

From: James Richard Tyrer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: RH7, Netscape and Shockwave Flash plugin problem.
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2001 23:54:46 GMT

"Luke A. Guest" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have been trying to get Flash to work with rh7/ns, but NS won't let me
> configure Flash.
>
> If I type "about:plugins" I have two entries for "Shockwave Flash":
>
> One says, "Flash file player Version 0.4.3" and says that
> "application/x-shockwave-flash" is not enabled.
>
> The other says the same except foe the version "Shockwave Flash 5.0 r47".
>
> Both say that the FutureSplashPlayer is enabled though.

Have you copied both files:

    libflashplayer.so
    ShockwaveFlash.class

to the ".../netscape/plugins" directory?

JRT

------------------------------

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: Re: Boot: bad file descriptor, read-only filesystem?
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2001 00:59:22 +0100

Shaun <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Boot attempts gave me failures with warnings of "dup2: bad file
> descriptor" and "read-only filesystem." I got dropped into a shell for
> maintenance but couldn't do much of anything; couldn't even mount a
> floppy to back up a few files because the filesystem was read-only and
> wouldn't let me create a mount point. Booting from the boot disk was the

So fsck it, mend it, and then remount it readwrite. if you don't know
how to do these things, ask (or read your startup files to see how
THEY do it :-)!

From: "Alan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Looking for Sound Filetring software
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2001 15:24:03 -0800

I am looking for software that will take a sound file and filter out all
the hiss, clicks and pop artifacts from a recording from vinyl. (I am
trying to record my 78 collection before they get dropped.)

Does anyone know of such a beast under Linux?

Reply off-list as well as here as replies do not always make it back to
my news server.

TIA!

From: "L.V.Gandhi" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: slrnpull problem
Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2001 05:39:44 +0530

Sorry for multiple posting. This has happened as I am not sure of use
slrnpull. The problem of rejection was identified as due to duplicate
posting. How ever still I am in dark why this is happening? If somebody
can throw some light on this, I will be thankful.
Second problem is every time I have to create new .jnewsrc file. Other
wise downloaded messages are not shown. If recreate .jnewsrc all news
become new. How to avoid this two problems.

--
L.V.Gandhi
MECON, 5th Floor, RTC Complex, Visakhapatnam AP 530020 INDIA

------------------------------

From: Kevin Collins <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: base64 decoder: juju. Where'd it go??
Date: 5 Mar 2001 15:29:02 -0800

I'll answer my own question- the sys admin had the permissions on the home
directories incorrect and they fixed it already.

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Kevin says...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David Efflandt)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup,alt.linux
Subject: Re: help:Could not determine local IP address
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2001 00:29:20 +0000 (UTC)

On Mon, 05 Mar 2001 11:38:14 GMT, David. E. Goble <goble@gtech> wrote:

>This is pissing me off! I can dialin and login, but the connection
>disconnects almost straight away. The log file informs me that;
>
>"Could not determine local IP address"
>
>############ hosts #########
>127.0.0.1              gtech localhost.localdomain localhost
>192.168.0.25          rgtech
>
>############ options.srv #######
>auth
>-detach
>login
>asyncmap 0
>:192.168.0.25
>debug
>modem
>crtscts
>proxyarp
>
>############### pap-secrets ############
>user1 *       "" *
>user2 *       "" *

If this is for a dialin to your box (mgetty or whatever) you do not
specify a local IP for the dialin server anywhere.  So what IP do you
expect the remote to connect to?  Certainly not 127.0.0.1 (which loops any
box back to itself).

If rgtech is your LAN IP you could use that for your local IP on the
server, but you still need to give the remote a different IP or at least
use ipcp-accept-remote option on the server.  If you do not have a LAN,
then the proxyarp option is meaningless.  But you may have problems if
either IP does not have a name, so it is best to specify IPs for both ends
of the connection and have names listed for them in /etc/hosts or DNS.

--
David Efflandt  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  http://www.de-srv.com/
http://www.autox.chicago.il.us/  http://www.berniesfloral.net/

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: MS Windows XP vs Linux
Date: 05 Mar 2001 10:06:23 -0600

jester> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote: : LOL... Anyone remember
jester> that pre-win95 MS attempt at making computers : easier?
jester> Microsoft BOB?

jester> The one and only pure M$ "innovation" - look at what they
jester> produce when they don't just steal stuff.

If it had been a little more successful, it might have lead to more
dangerously usable later generations...  As it was, the important
outcome of the project appears to have been to provide Bill Gates with
a spouse...
--
(reverse (concatenate 'string "gro.gultn@" "enworbbc"))
http://vip.hyperusa.com/~cbbrowne/

------------------------------

From: John Hasler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Virus checker for Linuix?
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2001 22:45:22 GMT

Chris Gordon-Smith writes:
> Viruses that gain access to Linux and then attack Windows systems that
> connect to the Linux system are more common

They are?  I'm sure it's common enough for Windows viruses to passively
pass through Linux email servers as attachments to emails addressed to
Windows users, but these are oblivious to the presence of Linux.  I've
never heard of any that function as you say.  I'd describe those as Linux
viruses, since to do what you claim they do they would have to compromise
the Linux system.
--
John Hasler
[EMAIL PROTECTED] (John Hasler)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: GNU Pascal?
Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2001 00:54:05 GMT

Gary <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> I downloaded the GNU pascal, and wondered if there is a
> compiled version
> I can... gasp... BUY?

> Is there something in GNU Pascal that needs to customize itself to
> the machine being installed to?

If you were to ... GASP ... tell me a fair bit about what system you
plan to use it on, and promise to send me lots of money :-), I'd be
glad to try and help provide a version you can ... gasp ... BUY.  :-)

[There are worse ideas in this world than this...  Mind you, there
 could also be a precompiled copy out there already.  If I pointed you
 to it, and you dropped me a card with money in it, I'm sure everybody
 might be quite pleased about it...]
--
(concatenate 'string "aa454" "@freenet.carleton.ca")
http://vip.hyperusa.com/~cbbrowne/languages.html

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Frank Hahn)
Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2001 01:10:02 -0000

On 5 Mar 2001 09:55:44 -0800, Kevin Collins <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Anyone know what happened to juju, terminal base64 decoder??
>
> The Freshmeat entry is gone and it's not on the old homepage either:
>
> http://hottemax.uni-muenster.de/~grover/juju.html

I just tried the above and it worked for me.  I was able to
download version 0.4.5 from the above address.

--
Frank Hahn

If the odds are a million to one against something occurring, chances
are 50-50 it will.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To:
hannet.ml.linux.nrao.linux-alert,it.comp.linux.annunci,hannet.ml.linux.rutgers.linux-newbie,alt.os.linux.caldera
Subject: nixware  618
Date: 06 Mar 2001 01:08:06 GMT

http://www.nixware.com

Here you will find Linux: Books, Software, and Hardware. Everything for your ultimate
Linux box.
upczgzwsbxoocknsuytknpxewylx

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dave Brown)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup,alt.linux
Date: 5 Mar 2001 18:21:00 -0600

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Steve Martin wrote:
>Dean Thompson wrote:
>
>> Can I ask a silly question.  I noticed that in your options.srv file you
>> specify a IP address of 192.168.0.25.  Is this the address you wish to
>> allocate to your own local machine, because if you are dialing a ISP, then
>> surely it would be giving you the IP address rather than you specifiying it.
>>
>> If you were specifying it, I would have though that it would have been a
>> number not in the class C range.
>
>...and, in any case, no ISP will allocate an IP address in the
>192.168.0 subnet, as that falls in the range of addresses
>reserved for networks not connected to the Internet.

I've seen something like this before, and assumed that the ISP was
doing IP masquerading.

--
Dave Brown  Austin, TX

------------------------------

From: Salmaan Shikari <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Redhat 7.0 Doom Installation Problem
Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2001 01:30:06 -0000

The permissions for the executable files are 755.  Do you think there is a
problem running Doom under Redhat 7 because it just came out?

- Salmaan

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Internet access for Linux RedHat 6.1
Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2001 01:30:11 -0000

What are my options for connecting to the Internet on Linux RedHat 6.1?  Are there
ISPs that support the Linux OS?

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David Efflandt)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: vfat-Filesystem and UC/LC-conversion
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2001 01:34:01 +0000 (UTC)

On 05 Mar 2001, Rainer Menzner
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>if I copy files from a ext2-partition to a mounted vfat-partition the
>filenames are perfectly preserved under Linux. The problem is that
>filenames which (by chance) adhere to the 8.3 naming convention appear
>in uppercase only under Windows. The leads to problems because after
>burning a CD from such data under Windows these filename remain
>uppercase even if the CD is mounted under Linux.
>
>I'm not sure about the actual problem. Is it Windows that converts the
>filenames, or does this happen on Linux while copying to the
>vfat-partition? I tend to believe to the first alternative because the
>filenames appear OK after copying under Linux.
>
>Does anyone know a solution?

One problem you will have if you burn any CD in WinME is that it uses all
upper case for any filenames that adheres to the 8.3 naming convention and
you cannot do anything about it.  This is contrary to Win95/98 which by
default displayed DOS files with the first letter capitalized and the rest
small, or honored the case of any filename set in Windows.  This is not a
problem for Windows which ignores case, but can mess up any case sensitive
app or os.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Hal Burgiss)
Date: 5 Mar 2001 20:44:10 -0500

On 5 Mar 2001 18:21:00 -0600, Dave Brown <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>>...and, in any case, no ISP will allocate an IP address in the
>>192.168.0 subnet, as that falls in the range of addresses
>>reserved for networks not connected to the Internet.
>
>I've seen something like this before, and assumed that the ISP was
>doing IP masquerading.

Not common but a few ISPs use NAT. Cinncinnati Bell/Zoomtown DSL I
believe is one such. Sounds like a crock, doesn't it?

--
Hal B

From: Jean-David Beyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Internet access for Linux RedHat 6.1
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2001 20:49:28 -0500

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> What are my options for connecting to the Internet on Linux RedHat 6.1?  Are there
>ISPs that support the Linux OS?

You can use any ISP you want. If you configure your system correctly,
the ISP should be unable to tell what OS you are running.

My ISP, for example, runs FreeBSD, but they are friendly to Linux
users, and have knowledgeable people there who can help with things if
you need it. I use 56.6 PPP dial-up. As long as you follow the proper
protocols, and you probably would, they will never know you are not
running Microsoftware.

--
 .~.  Jean-David Beyer           Registered Linux User 85642.
 /V\                             Registered Machine    73926.