From: Glen Trevino <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: Reference to DeCSS censored on comic strip.
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2001 21:26:49 -0500

==============95A023D1AF94CB3551BC20AD

The strip was critisizing Judge Kaplan, the MPAA and the
DMCA. Those three things above are the 3 main things
stopping open source DVD projects. Well, not OMS (Open
Media System DVD Player for Linux... of course), they
have their player available for download at...

   http://www.linuxvideo.org/oms/

Gee, I hope the MPAA doesn't come after me now that I posted
a link to a site that has the De-CSS source...

Rod Smith wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>         E J <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> > Boondocks Thursday March 1 and Friday March 2 issues has been censored
> > for referring to the DeCSS.
> > maybe Boondocks should have linked to the court document with DeCSS
> > printed on it.
> >
>http://www.ucomics.com/boondocks/viewbo.cfm?uc_full_date=20010302&uc_comic=bo&uc_daction=X
> >

>http://www.ucomics.com/boondocks/viewbo.cfm?uc_full_date=20010301&uc_comic=bo&uc_daction=X
>
> Are you sure that's actual censorship, and not the point of the strip?
> The explanation for the "censorship" in the first strip is "speech that
> damages the profits of our corporate friends is NOT protected by the
> First Amendment." This is flat-out wrong. It also reflects the public
> statements of many DeCSS proponents concerning the reasons for MPAA
> opposition to DeCSS; it does *NOT* reflect the official MPAA line on
> this. To me, it reeks of satire, not actual censorship. If I'm right, I
> just hope the strip's publisher doesn't get too many misdirected angry
> letters.
>
> --
> Rod Smith, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> http://www.rodsbooks.com
> Author of books on Linux & multi-OS configuration

==============95A023D1AF94CB3551BC20AD

The strip was critisizing Judge Kaplan, the MPAA and the
HREF="http://www.linuxvideo.org/oms/">http://www.linuxvideo.org/oms/</A>
writes:
href="http://www.ucomics.com/boondocks/viewbo.cfm?uc_full_date=20010302&uc_comic=bo&uc_daction=X">http://www.ucomics.com/boondocks/viewbo.cfm?uc_full_date=20010302&amp;uc_comic=bo&amp;uc_daction=X</a>
href="http://www.ucomics.com/boondocks/viewbo.cfm?uc_full_date=20010301&uc_comic=bo&uc_daction=X">http://www.ucomics.com/boondocks/viewbo.cfm?uc_full_date=20010301&amp;uc_comic=bo&amp;uc_daction=X</a>
that

==============95A023D1AF94CB3551BC20AD==

------------------------------

From: CYBERYOGI =CO= Windler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
linux.dev.sound,linux.debian.user,comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.music.midi
Subject: HELP ME!: How can I enable ALSA MIDI synth sound? (for SB AWE64 & GUS
Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2001 03:29:32 +0100

I am student of software-techniques and for my thesis I plan to develop a=

sing- and gesture controlled music synthesizer with a 3D/VR user interfac=
e.
Because I need for this project USB webcam support and full-duplex sound =

processing(simultaneous input and output) I was urged to download Kernel =

2.4.1 and the ALSA sound drivers.

I have a PC with 128MB RAM and an AMD K6 300MHZ CPU running Debian linux =
with
Kernel 2.4.1 and installed ALSA 5.10.After trying various ALSA versions I=
 got
most sound functions to work,but neither the internal MIDI synth of my So=
und-
Blaster AWE64 Value nor of my Gravis Ultrasound Classic run despite they =
are
claimed to be supported by the ALSA driver.No matter what I change in =

"/etc/modules" or "/etc/modutils/alsa",I always get in "/proc/asound/snds=
tat"
the message: "Synth devices: NOT ENABLED IN CONFIG" and MIDI programs lik=
playmidi complain "No playback device set".

I already tried multiple ALSA versions (including 0.9beta) with no succes=
s.
I read the alsa source code docs and also the documentation package =

"doc2001112.tar.zip" without finding any explanations how to enable synth=

devices in config.(May the "snd-card-virmidi" driver be neccessary for th=
is??
Which parameters does it need?)

The setup program "alsaconf" didn't work anyway;version 4.2 enumerates fr=
om
1 instead of 0 which is incompatible with alsa,and version 4.3b writes no=
 =

output at all (to /etc/modutils/alsa) as long /etc/modules.conf exists,an=
when I delete modules.conf then it writes but forgets to insert the name =
of
one of the soundcards which results in a faulty output file.Though hand-
editing /etc/modutils/alsa is the only reasonable way to get a working
/etc/modutils/alsa file.With ALSA 0.9=DF alsaconf anyway doesn't work due=
0.9=DF uses no "dma_size" parameters anymore.

Please help me and tell me what is wrong with my installation or whether =
need an older or patched ALSA version compatible with Kernel 2.4.1 to get=
 the
MIDI synth to work.I urgently need to get soon the system running because=
am living on borrowed time with completing the project. =

[Below are some config files and /proc outputs of my ALSA 5.9 system.]

                        MAY THE SOFTWARE BE WITH YOU!

*=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=
=3D=3D*
I                  CYBERYOGI Christian Oliver(=3DCO=3D) Windler          =
I         (teachmaster of LOGOLOGIE - the first cyberage-religion!)      =
I                                      !                                 =
*=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3DABANDON=3DTHE=3DBRUTALITY=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D*
        {http://www.informatik.fh-hamburg.de/~windle_c/e_index.html}

---
root@Loonyx:~# more /proc/asound/sndstat
Sound Driver:3.8.1a-980706 (ALSA v0.5.10b emulation code)
Kernel: Linux Loonyx 2.4.1 #2 Die Feb 20 21:46:02 CET 2001 i586
Config options: 0

Installed drivers: =

Type 10: ALSA emulation

Card config: =

Sound Blaster 16 at 0x220, irq 5, dma 1&7
Gravis UltraSound Classic (3.7) at 0x240, irq 11, dma 5&6

Audio devices:
0: DSP v4.16 (DUPLEX)
1: GF1 (synth) (DUPLEX)

Synth devices: NOT ENABLED IN CONFIG

Midi devices:
0: MPU-401 (UART)
1: GF1

Timers:
7: system timer

Mixers:
0: CTL1745
1: ICS2101
---

root@Loonyx:~# more /etc/modutils/alsa
# --- BEGIN: Generated by ALSACONF, do not edit. ---
# --- ALSACONF verion 0.4.2 ---
alias char-major-116 snd
alias char-major-14 soundcore
alias snd-card-0 snd-card-sbawe
alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0
alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm1-oss
alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm1-oss
alias snd-card-1 snd-card-gusclassic
alias sound-slot-1 snd-card-1
alias sound-service-1-0 snd-mixer-oss
alias sound-service-1-1 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-1-3 snd-pcm1-oss
alias sound-service-1-12 snd-pcm1-oss
options snd snd_major=3D116 snd_cards_limit=3D2 snd_device_mode=3D0660
snd_device_gid=3D29 snd_device_uid=3D0
options snd-card-sbawe snd_index=3D0 snd_id=3DSB_AWE64_Value snd_port=3D0=
x220
snd_mpu_port=3D0x330 snd_awe_port=3D0x620
 snd_irq=3D5 snd_dma8=3D1 snd_dma8_size=3D128 snd_dma16=3D7 snd_dma16_siz=
e=3D128
snd_mic_agc=3D0
options snd-card-gusclassic snd_index=3D1 snd_id=3DGUS_Classic snd_port=3D=
0x240
snd_irq=3D11 snd_dma1=3D5 snd_dma1_size
=3D128 snd_dma2=3D6 snd_dma2_size=3D128 snd_joystick_dac=3D15
# --- END: Generated by ALSACONF, do not edit. ---

#added by =3DCO=3D Windler to unmute mixer:
post-install snd-mixer /usr/sbin/alsactl restore

#alias snd-card-2 snd-card-virmidi
#alias sound-slot-2 snd-card-2
#alias sound-service-2-1 snd-seq-oss
#options snd-card-virmidi snd_index=3D2 snd_id=3Dvirtual_MIDI
---

root@Loonyx:~# more /etc/modules
# /etc/modules: kernel modules to load at boot time.
#
# This file should contain the names of kernel modules that are
# to be loaded at boot time, one per line.  Comments begin with
# a #, and everything on the line after them are ignored.
=2E..
#Entries by CYBERYOGI =3DCO=3D Windler:

#snd-card-sbawe
#snd-synth-emu8000
#snd-synth-opl3
#snd-card-gusclassic

snd-mixer-oss
snd-pcm-oss
snd-seq-oss
snd

#old OSS drivers:
#
#sb io=3D0x220 irq=3D5 dma=3D1 dma16=3D5 mpu_io=3D0x330
#awe_wave =

#opl3 io=3D0x388
#gus io=3D0x240 irq=3D11 dma=3D5 dma=3D6
#v_midi
##mpu401
#sound
---

------------------------------

From: "Roose Chua" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Newbie: Can not start X server
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2001 10:34:20 +0800

Hi! I am a newbie to Linux and would just like to ask the group on some
questions. I have just installed Red Hat Linux 6.0 on an HP VL400 machine,
using Matrox G450 video adapter, HP p700 17 in monitor, an HP CD-writer
9100b and a HP deskjet 930c:
1. Where can I get list of Linux commands?
2. Everytime I try to start an X-window (Gnome ?), using startx command, the
window does not fit on my screen and looks very big so I only see a quarter
of the X window. I tried re-installing Linux, but since my monitor and video
adapters are not on the list that is included in the installation, I usually
use custom choices. This does not seem to work though. How do I re-configure
my system to be able to use the X window?

Thanks and regards,
Roose

------------------------------

From: "John Gill" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Install CD-RW on Linux ??
Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2001 02:34:19 GMT

Mkisofs -- doesn't that write a copy of the image to disk ?  Why not just
backup file by file to disk ?

-- JJG

news:blon6.1377$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: Glen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help,alt.os.linux,linux.redhat,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Starting a remote xsession with Exceed without XDMCP?
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2001 21:50:37 -0500

    I have no problem opening up Gnome & KDE session through XDMCP with
Exceed, but I would like to open a session from a telnet connection. I
already know about using "setenv DISPLAY mymachine" and then executing a
"xterm&" command but I get useless windows. In other words the terminal
shell appears but I can't move it anywhere.

I experience similar terminal shell problems when I execute a
"/usr/bin/gnome-session --gxid_host=mymachine". The Gnome session starts
up and my Desktop appears, but I still get the non-moving terminal
shells when I open a shell. Does anybody know what I'm doing wrong?

--Glen

------------------------------

From: "Newbie from Win98" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,alt.os.linux.suse,uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: Triple Booting?
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2001 02:57:12 -0000

Martin and everyone else,

Please, please, please could you tell me the order in which you installed
the operating systems and any steps you took to make sure it went smoothly.

I have a Win98 machine that I want to put Win98 SE and Linux onto.  I bought
the full version of 98 SE expecting it to be able to install over 98 but it
won't, it says that I need to use the upgrade disk to 98 SE.  There is no
option to do a dual boot with Win 98SE.

Would I be able to use the Partition facility of the Linux install (SuSE 7.1
evaluation) to create a partition that I could use to install Win98SE to
after the Linux install had completed?

I would set out the partitions so that the first area was Win98, the next
partition would be Win98SE and the last partitions would be Linux and it's
memory swap file.

The PC that I am doing this to is a couple of years old and will be my
"trial" machine which I plan to use to try out various operating systems as
well as setting it up as the server in my home for internet connection (ADSL
into this box via USB modem).  I've also been toying with the idea of making
an Email server and maybe trying out some Web Hosting as well.

Having been a DOS and Windows user since Windows 3.1 I feel it is time that
I learned about Linux and what it can do, I think it is the future.

news:Oiso6.25$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: Shaun <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: Re: Boot: bad file descriptor, read-only filesystem?
Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2001 03:05:04 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Peter T. Breuer"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> So fsck it, mend it, and then remount it readwrite. if you don't know
> how to do these things, ask (or read your startup files to see how
> THEY do it :-)!

Actually I've never run fsck - but before asking I'm going to sit down
and have a nice RTFM session. If that doesn't work I'll be back for sure.

What I'm most curious about, though, is what caused the problem to begin
with. I've been running RH 6.0 since August 99 and have never seen such
a problem. My first guess is an issue with RH 7 (wouldn't be the first
I've encountered; compiling Tulip was an exercise in futility).

Since posting originally, I've learned that a friend of mine on the same
class C IP block was owned last night with pamslam and the BIND exploit,
so I'm now a bit suspicious of a potential scan/hack. But again, my log
files seemed clean (and they weren't deleted like his were) and AFAIK RH
7's pam isn't vulnerable to pamslam. I wasn't running BIND.

I have a long night of research and reading ahead. Wish there had been a
way to backup the old system's logs before reinstalling so I could go
over them again. Funny, it's times like this I'm *happy* to use linux.
Learning experiences are good, and so is the community.

Thanks,

Shaun

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (remove mypants to email me) | http://www.shaunc.com/
Got a big website? BatchSubmit to search engines | http://www.batchsubmit.com/
#include <std_disclaimer>

------------------------------

From: "Jeff" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: help: LILO through a Serial Terminal problems
Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2001 03:18:26 GMT

I am trying to configure Linux to boot and operate from a serial terminal.

It mostly works.  To do this added the following lines to the lilo.conf
file:

    serial=0,9600n8    (in the global section)
    append="console=ttyS0"  (in the image section)

However, I have a couple labeled images that I want to chose from at the
LILO boot prompt.  According to LILO documentation I should be able to add
the "serial=..." in LILO's global section and LILO's boot can be performed
through the terminal (VT100 in my case) connected to the specified serial
port.  The console output is correctly send through the serial port.

THE PROBLEM is that no terminal input is recieved from the serial terminal.
Consequently, I cannot select my LILO boot image from the remote terminal.
The terminal input works once Linux boots and it's in a shell.  It appears
that only LILO is not processing the serial terminal input.

Has anyone seen this problem?  Any solutions?

Your help is appreciated.

Jeff

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help
Subject: Re: Odd behavior at login
Date: 6 Mar 2001 03:38:22 GMT

On 05 Mar 2001 04:03:20 -0500, suid staggered into the Black Sun and said:
>I am running RH7.0 with kernel 2.2.16-22. Just upgraded from RH6.0
>kernel 2.2.14-12 a couple of weeks ago. Everything has been smooth
>until today.
>Now, when I login, after the issue and motd display, I get:
>
>bash: /dev/null: Permission denied
>bash: /dev/null: Permission denied
>
>It comes up twice like that before I get a command prompt. It just
>started happening today. I get the errors no matter which account I log
>in with (except root). Nothing in my .bashrc or .bash_profile settings
>seems to pipe any output to /dev/null, where is this coming from?
>
>Any ideas or advice of where to look or what may be causing this problem?

/dev/null is messed up.  Did you by any chance get the fortune cookie
that says "Write Error on /dev/null : please empty the bit bucket" and
then do something like trying to remove /dev/null?  Do an ls -l on
/dev/null ; it should return something similar to:

crw-rw-rw-   1 root     root       1,   3 Mar  2 23:35 /dev/null

Note the permissions (read and write for everybody) and the fact that
it's not a normal file, but a character special device with major number
1 and minor number 3.  If it returns anything different from the above
line, you must remove /dev/null and then recreate it with the command

mknod -m 666 /dev/null c 1 3

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /  Workin' in a code mine, hittin' Ctrl-Alt
http://www.brainbench.com     /   Workin' in a code mine, whoops!
=============================/    I hit a seg fault....

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Date: 6 Mar 2001 03:38:24 GMT

On Tue, 06 Mar 2001 02:34:19 GMT, John Gill staggered into the Black Sun
and said:
>"Simon" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:blon6.1377$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> As far as backups go i've written a script that 'tars n gzips my
>> files then invokes mkisofs and finally burns the CD with cdrecord.
>> Seems to work alright. I haven't tried integrating with backup
>> packages coz i like to hack things myself!

>Mkisofs -- doesn't that write a copy of the image to disk ?  Why not
>just backup file by file to disk ?

You can use mkisofs in a pipe, provided your machine/drives can keep up.

mkisofs -r -J /directory/to/backup | cdrecord -v dev=0,1,0 -

Note that mkisofs is fairly CPU and I/O intensive, more so than cdrecord
in my experience, but a 400MHz K6-2 could handle the load.  Interactive
performance went to hell, but if you use cron to run this every night at
2AM....

From: "Sudhakar R." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Newbie: Can not start X server
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2001 22:35:34 -0500

>1. Where can I get list of Linux commands?
if you are running the bash shell by default(it's usually the case in a
newly installed linux box) you can get the shell to complete commmand
names for you. typing the first couple of letters followed by the tab key
twice will get you a list of commands starting with those letters.

>2. Everytime I try to start an X-window (Gnome ?), using startx command, the
>window does not fit on my screen and looks very big so I only see a quarter
>of the X window. I tried re-installing Linux, but since my monitor and video
>adapters are not on the list that is included in the installation, I usually
>use custom choices. This does not seem to work though. How do I re-configure
>my system to be able to use the X window?

this i figure is not a problem with your xf86config file. you seem to say
that the X itself starts up without any problems. in order to get the
entire virtual screen to fit into your monitor screen press
ctrl+alt+(minus) key simultaneuosly.

welcome to the FreeOS!

-sud

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Andrew Purugganan)
Subject: Re: How to auto login ?
Date: 6 Mar 2001 03:35:00 GMT

Peter T. Breuer ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
[ Arctic Storm <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
[ The cleaning ladies are actually responsible for about 70% of the
[ downtime around here. They disconnect servers, and also scrub keyboards,
[ clenching them firmly down the left side while wiping the rest with a thick
[ cloth (think where the ctrl-alt-del keys are).

...then there was the somewhat morbid story of a hospital where there
was this rash of deaths in this one room. It turns out the cleaning lady
was unplugging the machine that kept the patients breathing, to do her
vacuuming. Naturally over the noise, she couldn't hear a thing...

--
jazz
Registered linux user no. 164098  +--+--+--+ Litestep user no. 386

------------------------------

From: Shaun <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2001 03:30:23 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Roose Chua"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> 1. Where can I get list of Linux commands?

Press the Tab key twice at a command prompt and answer "yes." Be
prepared to get bombarded! :) Alternately you can browse an archive of
the manual pages, for example http://linux.man-pages.net.

Not sure on question #2 as I don't use any of the graphical desktops.

From: Shaun <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Internet access for Linux RedHat 6.1
Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2001 03:36:25 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> What are my options for connecting to the Internet on Linux RedHat 6.1?
> Are there ISPs that support the Linux OS?

If you're using a cable modem, check out the Linux Cable HOWTO at
http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/Cable-Modem/.

If you're using DSL, see the Linux DSL HOWTO at
http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/DSL-HOWTO/.

Both tutorials include information on setting up your eth0 and eth1
interfaces as well as getting IP masquerading in effect if you want to
support a LAN.

If you're running a dialup modem, search google.com for LINUX PPP HOWTO.

Good luck,