Linux-Misc Digest #294, Volume #27                Tue, 6 Mar 01 15:13:02 EST

Contents:
  Switching from RH6.2 to Debian Stable (wroot)
  Linux market share by distribution (wroot)
  Re: newbie: md5 + C + /etc/shadow ("- = k o l i s k o = -")
  Re: Problems installing PHP & MYSQL (Joris Roefs)
  Moving Linux from one hard drive to another ("James D Parker Jr.")
  Re: Do I need Lilo to boot from a partition? ("Eric")
  Printer share with IRIX ("Robert Flint")
  Re: Remote Admin ("Alan Fleming")
  Re: source for basic utils like ftp/cp/mv... where? ("Peter T. Breuer")
  Re: source for basic utils like ftp/cp/mv... where? (Alex K)
  /bin/sh: no: command not found ("aerosoul")
  Re: newbie: md5 + C + /etc/shadow (Richard Bos)
  PAN: how to post attachments ?
  appending to afio archives? ("W . Crowshaw")
  Re: Problems installing PHP & MYSQL ("mrbjorn")
  Re: Problems with nvidia drivers - is it just me? (Peter Petersen)
  Re: Problems installing PHP & MYSQL (Glitch)
  Re: newbie: md5 + C + /etc/shadow ("Tor Rustad")
  Re: Xinerama setup in GNOME for multi-monitor (Matthias Griem)
  Re: PAN: how to post attachments ? (Jan Schaumann)
  xawtv or kwintv  howto? (Richard Kimber)
  Re: VPN Tunnel Routing ("Tauno Voipio")
  Re: VPN Tunnel Routing ("Bear")

From: wroot <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,linux.debian.user,linux.redhat
Subject: Switching from RH6.2 to Debian Stable
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2001 10:09:45 -0500

Hi,

I'm considering switching from RH6.2 to Debian.

For a currently working Redhat 6.2 system, what configuration files or
other information should I save to ensure successful installation of
Debian? I understand that Debian install is not as quick to auto-detect
hardware.

Thanks in advance

Wroot

------------------------------

From: wroot <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,linux.debian.user,linux.redhat
Subject: Linux market share by distribution
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2001 10:13:49 -0500

Hi,

Does anybody know where I can find out what the Linux market share is by
distribution? I tried searching in google and looked at major Linux web
sites, but didn't find what I wanted.

Thanks

Wroot

------------------------------

From: "- = k o l i s k o = -" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.lang.c
Subject: Re: newbie: md5 + C + /etc/shadow
Date: Sun, 4 Mar 2001 12:20:04 +0100

> Don't be too sure of that.  Whenever posters start asking about
> /etc/shadow passwords -- and this is hardly the first time -- flags
> should go up about malicious users or crackers.  Those of us who have
> been around awhile are very wary about helping people do malicious
> or illegal things.

I am not a cracker!!

I would like encrypt a plain text password.
NOT decrypt!

------------------------------

From: Joris Roefs <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Problems installing PHP & MYSQL
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2001 16:20:48 +0100

Adrian wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a problem installing PHP & MYSQL together.  I have verified that
> each works indepenently but when using a PHP script with a call to
> mysql, I get the following error returned to the browser :
>
> Fatal error: Call to undefined function: mysql_connect() in lib.inc.php3
> on line 255
>
> Does anybody know what the cause of this is???

Yes, I do.
You forgot to recompile Apache with MySQL-support.

For a nice installation guide, check
http://www.devshed.com/Server_Side/PHP/SoothinglySeamless/

This is an installationguide to installing PHP, MySQL, Apache, OpenSSL,
ModSSL all in one.

Have fun

- Joris

------------------------------

From: "James D Parker Jr." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Moving Linux from one hard drive to another
Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2001 10:41:20 -0500

I recently added a second hard drive to my computer and, using Partition
Magic V4, copied all (almost - more about that in a minute) of the Linux
partitions from the master hard drive (hda) to the new slave (hdb) an
resized them larger. Then I brought up Linux on hda and mounted the hdb
copy of the root partition and modified that partition's /etc/fstab and
/etc/mtab to point to the hdb versions of the partitions (except for the
'almost'). I then created a boot floppy with lilo to boot the hdb copy
of Linux and it came up OK.

First question: This almost seems too easy. Is that all there is to it?
I want to delete the hda Linux partitions so that I can increase the
Win95 and OS/2 partitions I have on the first drive but I don't want to
do it until I'm sure there isn't some problem lurking in some hidden
corner.

Second question: The 'almost' I referred to was the swap partition.
Partition Magic has documentation that says it has full support for
Linux ext2 and swap partitions. Except, it seems, that you can't do
anything with a Linux swap partition except delete it. Partition Magic
had all other options greyed out or missing regarding swap partitions.
Couldn't copy, move, resize or create a Linux swap partition. So, for
now, Linux on hdb is pointing to the swap partition on hda. How can I
create a Linux swap partition without making Partition Magic think that
the partition table is corrupt? Creating a partition with Linux fdisk
won't do. That leaves the entire disk "bad" to Partition Magic and
results in fdisk for OS/2, DOS and Win95 useless even for the other hard
drive. All three fail to come up once you've used Linux fdisk to create
a partition.

Thanks
Jim

------------------------------

From: "Eric" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Do I need Lilo to boot from a partition?
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2001 16:38:10 +0100

> >You did run `/sbin/lilo -v` ?
>
> Yep.  I can post or email it if you want.  If I set the debug
> value to four it gets pretty big though.

Post it please,
and the contents of lilo.conf, and the result of
`/sbin/fdisk -l /dev/[sh]d[a-z]`

Eric

------------------------------

From: "Robert Flint" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Printer share with IRIX
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2001 15:49:25 -0000

I am using SuSE 7.0 and have an Epson Stylus Photo 1200 printer configured
in /etc/printcap (using YAST2 to do the setup) and this works fine.

How can I let an IRIX user have access to this printer over the network?

Any help would be much appreciated.

ROB

------------------------------

From: "Alan Fleming" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Remote Admin
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2001 15:58:03 -0000

Thanks alot guys, I've gpt me a copy of webmin, and I'm about to look for
VNC.  The X-server stuff sounds a bit complicated for an NT guy like me! :)

Alan

------------------------------

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: source for basic utils like ftp/cp/mv... where?
Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2001 16:06:48 GMT

Alex K <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> "Peter T. Breuer" wrote:
>> They are written and rewritten by many people, sometimes working
>> together and sometimes working against each other. Distros make a
>> selection from what is "out there" and compile and integrate it for
>> you. That is their contribution.

> there is a first version of each distro, thats what i meant.

No there isn't. What was the first version of mandrake, for example?
Was it redhat? But since you've admitted to just posting silly things
of the top of your head for the fun of it, I'm not bothering with you
.. if you want to say silly things in public, be my guest, but without
my involvement. If you persist is this ridiculous attempt to appear
to misunderstand the facts, so be it.

> the distmakers making a first dist of course means making _their_
> first dist (ie, the first version of their dist).
> its obvious from the context. duh!

> i know that the sources dont just magically pop up at ftp.gnu.org

They don't pop up anywhere. They're written by someone. Many times.

> but they ARE gathered somewhere. not all off course, but the basic

No they are NOT.

> gnu things, like tar gzip cp are.

FSF things are written by the FSF, and appear in the FSF's software archives
and mirrors, and other people's collections.

> i just had a look at LFS. look at appendix III (Official Download

LFS? Linux file system?

> Locations). now think about that...

For the LFS pages?

>> Which do not include ftp(d or c), for one thing.

> oh? then what are all those ftp[d] things in inetutils...

No idea. You tell me.

From: Alex K <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2001 17:13:10 -0100

"Peter T. Breuer" wrote:

> No there isn't. What was the first version of mandrake, for example?
> Was it redhat? But since you've admitted to just posting silly things
> of the top of your head for the fun of it, I'm not bothering with you
> .. if you want to say silly things in public, be my guest, but without
> my involvement. If you persist is this ridiculous attempt to appear
> to misunderstand the facts, so be it.

if there is no first version, then there is an infinite amount
of versions. a strict consequence of what you say...
and somehow that seems strange.

i said this discussion is silly.

> > i know that the sources dont just magically pop up at ftp.gnu.org
>
> They don't pop up anywhere. They're written by someone. Many times.

geez, thats what i said.

> > but they ARE gathered somewhere. not all off course, but the basic
>
> No they are NOT.

you are of course right. i can _clearly_ see that they
are _not_ gathered at gnu.org

www.linuxfromscratch.org

> >> Which do not include ftp(d or c), for one thing.
>
> > oh? then what are all those ftp[d] things in inetutils...
>
> No idea. You tell me.

must be rodents. just simply must be.

------------------------------

From: "aerosoul" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: /bin/sh: no: command not found
Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2001 17:52:17 +0100

/bin/sh: no: command not found

where can i get "no"?
i get this prob when i try to compile rpm4.0

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED] - aerosoul @ IRCNet #traumzeit

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Richard Bos)
Crossposted-To: comp.lang.c
Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2001 17:11:25 GMT

"- = k o l i s k o = -" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > Don't be too sure of that.  Whenever posters start asking about
> > /etc/shadow passwords -- and this is hardly the first time -- flags
> > should go up about malicious users or crackers.  Those of us who have
> > been around awhile are very wary about helping people do malicious
> > or illegal things.
>
> I am not a cracker!!
>
> I would like encrypt a plain text password.
> NOT decrypt!

My dear fellow, you're posting from a technical 'versity. Surely you've
got a prof who can teach you this? Or was it perhaps your prof who asked
you to do this in the first place?

Richard

------------------------------

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: PAN: how to post attachments ?
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2001 12:27:45 -0500

I;m using pan, which works very well, as it has all that functionality to
declutter the display.

But how do I send an attachment with it? With kmail, I point it to the
attachment, and it's done.
But in pan, I was not able to find any such thing.

Is that functionality not there yet, or is it right under my nose ?

thanks

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2001 12:24:07 -0500
From: "W . Crowshaw" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: appending to afio archives?

With the -A option, it seems that cpio allows a user to append files to
an already existing cpio archive.  Looking at the man pages for afio,
afio's -A option doesn't serve that purpose.  Is there some other way to
append files to afio archives?

Another question: afio archives are created once you feed afio a list of
files.  Here's an example: ls | afio -o myarchive. Is there some way to
feed afio these files individually and have them added to a afio archive
file?  In other words, can I feed afio files (not file names) that are
the output from another program?

TIA,
--
wcrowshaw

------------------------------

From: "mrbjorn" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2001 09:26:29 -0800
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup

The problem for me was that PHP was not loading the MYSQL extension when I
upgraded PHP. Apache have no MYSQL routines

Look into /etc/php.ini  and remove ";"  as believe

;extension=gd.so
extension=mysql.so
;extension=pgsql.so

Good luck.
;

------------------------------

From: Peter Petersen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Re: Problems with nvidia drivers - is it just me?
Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2001 18:59:11 +0100

On Sat, 03 Mar 2001 14:45:09 GMT, Arthur Pedyczak <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>I have been having problems with strange memory corruption in 2.4.
>series of kernels. Within 48 hours after reboot I would get an odd
>Oops or fs corruption which would seem completely unrelated to
>video. I tried to figure out the reason. After gathering some
>helpful hints from linux-kernel mailing list I started my testing.
>1. tested hardware (RAM, HD...) - didn't find any problems.
>2. started eliminating modules that are not part of the standard
>kernel tree
>   - eliminated oss - no change, system still unstable
>   - removed NVdriver and started using nv driver that came with
>XFree86-4.0.1
>     (WOW! all of sudden the box is running for ten days and there's
>no corruption!)
>   - put NVdriver back, switched to nvdriver form Nvidia - Oops
>within 48 hrs.
>
>So, I have no choice but to believe that NVdriver kernel module (or
>nvdriver binary) is the culprit. Has anybody seen anything similar,
>or is it just me?

Hello!

Yes, I also experienced file system corruption (severe!) under linux (by
the way, about 5 to 6 times now, mostly in the past and with different
computers!). The latest was with a 2.2.16 kernel and using -indeed-
xfree 4.02 and nvidia's drivers (but I don't know whether that's the
reason).

What definitely has to do with nvidia and/or xfree4.02 is:
- I can't use dpms any longer (in spite of a correct option line in my
config file)
- After some minutes of using X, it tends to lock up hard (whether agp
is enabled or not); before that, I experience jumpy movements of the
mouse cursor etc.)
- 0.9.6 was worse than 0.9.5, because the former made it impossible to
switch to a text console without losing the monitor screen (couldn't be
awakened by any means without rebooting).

I am NOT impressed...

Regards
Peter Petersen

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2001 13:07:36 -0500
From: Glitch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Adrian wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a problem installing PHP & MYSQL together.  I have verified that
> each works indepenently but when using a PHP script with a call to
> mysql, I get the following error returned to the browser :
>
> Fatal error: Call to undefined function: mysql_connect() in lib.inc.php3
> on line 255
>
> Does anybody know what the cause of this is???
>
> Many thanks in advance.
>
> Adrian

why don't you post a few lines of your code so we can see what you are
doing wrong?????

------------------------------

From: "Tor Rustad" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.lang.c
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2001 19:31:52 +0100

"- = k o l i s k o = -" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message

> > Don't be too sure of that.  Whenever posters start asking about
> > /etc/shadow passwords -- and this is hardly the first time -- flags
> > should go up about malicious users or crackers.  Those of us who have
> > been around awhile are very wary about helping people do malicious
> > or illegal things.
>
> I am not a cracker!!

Really?

> I would like encrypt a plain text password.
> NOT decrypt!

This is really funny, MD5 is a one-way function!  :-)

--
Tor <torust AT online DOT no>

------------------------------

From: Matthias Griem <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Xinerama setup in GNOME for multi-monitor
Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2001 19:35:58 +0100

Arctic Storm wrote:

> > The very idea behind Xinerama is to have two monitors act as one large
> > display. Hence, the expected way to work would be to maximize between the
> > two.
>
> I agree that Xinerama creates one large desktop that spans multiple
> monitors, which allows you to drag windows from one monitor to the next.
> However, when windows maximize to take up the entire desktop, the maximized
> window will extend into every monitor, and this is quite a nuisance.  Most
> people who have multiple monitors display different windows in different
> monitors, so windows "should" maximize to fit only one monitor.  According
> to Xinerama How-To, Enlightenment can handle multiple monitors in Xinerama
> and maximize windows to fit one monitor, and not extend into other
> monitors.  My point in the previous post was that when I upgraded to Ximian
> GNOME, Sawfish was still the window manager, however, now, windows maximize
> and fit into only one monitor.
> There's one problem, though, that I forgot to include in the previous post.
>  I have two monitors of different sizes, and placed them side-by-side; the
> larger monitor is the primary monitor.  When I maximize windows in the
> smaller monitor, the horizontal width is correct, but the vertical height
> is too long; height of the larger monitor.
> Does anyone know how to correct this problem?

where can i find the Xinerama-HowTo ????

--
Matthias Griem
e-mail:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jan Schaumann)
Subject: Re: PAN: how to post attachments ?
Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2001 19:15:28 GMT

* [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> I;m using pan, which works very well, as it has all that functionality to
> declutter the display.
>
> But how do I send an attachment with it? With kmail, I point it to the
> attachment, and it's done.
> But in pan, I was not able to find any such thing.
>
> Is that functionality not there yet, or is it right under my nose ?

I believe that functionality is not there yet - but you can always ask
in news.software.readers and/or on the mailing-list
([EMAIL PROTECTED]).  IIRC, it's planned for the next release.

-Jan

--
Jan Schaumann <http://www.netmeister.org>

This Message has been modified to fit your IQ.  As a result, the content
might be contradictory to "known facts" and/or offend you.  Sorry.

------------------------------

From: Richard Kimber <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: xawtv or kwintv  howto?
Crossposted-To: uk.comp.os.linux
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2001 19:16:56 +0000

I have a Hauppage WinTv Go card (BT848) and would like to get it working
with my Mandrake 7.2 /  X4.0.1 / Matrox G450

When I start up, say, kwintv it doesn't detect any programs when it scans
and so I don't get any picture, but there is a band of broken lines across
the whole screen that suggests there is a signal there, but something is
not configured right.

Is this an X problem, or a kwintv/xawtv issue.  I have enabled the drivers
in the kernel, but have not done anything specifically to X.

I'd appreciate any suggestions.

- Richard.
--
Richard Kimber
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "Tauno Voipio" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: VPN Tunnel Routing
Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2001 19:24:54 GMT

"X" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Anyone...
>
> Does anyone have any ideas about how to set up astatic route thru a
> VPN tunnel?
>
> We are using vtund for the server and client ends, I got the tunnel
> set up right and can ping and telnet thru the tunnel from the machines
> on both ends.
>
> The question is: I need to know how to route the LAN's on both ends
> thru the tunnels as well (or at least one other machine on each end
> ie: Win2k SR AD Replication).
>
> Is this even possible or are linux VPN's strictly point to point? or
> how do you make the /dev/tunX's public on the corresponding network?

There are two addresses associated with a tunnel: the point-to-point address
of the 'outside' of the tunnel and the network address of the 'inside' of
the tunnel.

A tunnel by itself is a point-to-point connection which transports packets
of the designated network between the point-to-point hosts.

The routing for the outside addresses needs be set up so that an endpoint of
the tunnel is able to reach the other end using the outside addresses.

The routing for the inside addresses has to be set up so that the networks
can tunnel to each other. The easiest way to do so is to set the inside
networks to different subnets with routing set to the tunnel devices.

The exact procedure how to set up depends on which tunneling method you're
using (IP/IP, CIPE etc).

Tauno Voipio
tauno voipio @ iki fi

------------------------------

From: "Bear" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2001 14:53:47 -0500

*** post for free via your newsreader at post.newsfeeds.com ***

I use freeswan 1.8 for my ipsec vpn.  It works great.  All you have to do is
turn on ip packet forwarding and set the linux box ip address as the default
gateway for the workstations on the network.

Once all the machines are routing to the linux box as the default gateway
all you have to do is set up the routing tables on the linux box to route
VPN traffice through the VPN device and then route the rest of the traffic
to your current default gateway.

"X" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Anyone...
>
> Does anyone have any ideas about how to set up astatic route thru a
> VPN tunnel?
>
> We are using vtund for the server and client ends, I got the tunnel
> set up right and can ping and telnet thru the tunnel from the machines
> on both ends.
>
> The question is: I need to know how to route the LAN's on both ends
> thru the tunnels as well (or at least one other machine on each end
> ie: Win2k SR AD Replication).
>
> Is this even possible or are linux VPN's strictly point to point? or
> how do you make the /dev/tunX's public on the corresponding network?
>
> any ideas or thoughts will be appreciated.
>
> Thanx!

  **** Post for FREE via your newsreader at post.newsfeeds.com ****

*** Newsfeeds.com - The #1 Usenet Newsgroup Service on The Planet! ***
  http://www.newsfeeds.com       |         http://www.newsfeeds.com

* Anonymous posting server!      | * Totally Uncensored!
* SUPER Servers!                 | * Over 80,000 Newsgroups!
* BINARIES ONLY Servers!         | * 16 seperate Newsgroup Servers!
* SPAM FILTERED Server!          | * Instant access!
* ADULT ONLY Server!             | * Multiple OC 3's and OC 12's!
* MP3 ONLY Server!               | * 99% Article Completion!
* MULTIMEDIA ONLY Server!        | * Months of Retention!
* 7 UNCENSORED Newsgroup Servers | * Lightning FAST downloads!

  http://www.newsfeeds.com       |         http://www.newsfeeds.com
        **** Point your newsreader to post.newsfeeds.com ****