  Re: Size of LINUX (David E. Fox)

From: "libero" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,alt.os.linux.suse,uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: Triple Booting?
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2001 00:17:31 GMT

hi,
i suppose u go out of valid boot clusters,
i had the same problem with my notebook when (on a 6GB HD) i asked to boot
with a partition after 2GB of disk...
depending of the bios u must generally stay under 2 or 4 GB with the
bootable partitions
hope this can help u...
see u
Antonio

Newbie from Win98 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:981jki$ba3$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Martin and everyone else,
>
> Please, please, please could you tell me the order in which you installed
> the operating systems and any steps you took to make sure it went
smoothly.

> I have a Win98 machine that I want to put Win98 SE and Linux onto.  I
bought
> the full version of 98 SE expecting it to be able to install over 98 but
it
> won't, it says that I need to use the upgrade disk to 98 SE.  There is no
> option to do a dual boot with Win 98SE.
>
> Would I be able to use the Partition facility of the Linux install (SuSE
7.1
> evaluation) to create a partition that I could use to install Win98SE to
> after the Linux install had completed?
>
> I would set out the partitions so that the first area was Win98, the next
> partition would be Win98SE and the last partitions would be Linux and it's
> memory swap file.
>
> The PC that I am doing this to is a couple of years old and will be my
> "trial" machine which I plan to use to try out various operating systems
as
> well as setting it up as the server in my home for internet connection
(ADSL
> into this box via USB modem).  I've also been toying with the idea of
making
> an Email server and maybe trying out some Web Hosting as well.
>
> Having been a DOS and Windows user since Windows 3.1 I feel it is time
that
> I learned about Linux and what it can do, I think it is the future.
>
> Thanks in advance for any help you can give.
>

> "Martin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:Oiso6.25$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Read
> > http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/mini/Linux+NT-Loader.html
> >
> > it works for me with Win95+WinNT+Win2000+Linux
> >
> > Linux installation does not detect automatically your Win. But follow
the
> > HOWTO and take care to install LILO in the first sector of the boot
> > partition, not in the MBR !
> >

> > "ZillaŠ" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > > I just burnt the ISO of Redmond Linux (a Caldera offshoot), and am
ready
> > > to give Linux a
> > > try. I already am dual-booting Win98 and Win2000 on my machine... Will
> > > the install/boot program(s) recognize this, and set up a triple boot
> > > machine? I believe R/L uses GRUB....
> > >
> > > Some other possible sources of trouble:
> > >
> > > * A7V motherboard w/ Promise ATA-100 controller
> > >
> > > * Linux partition (just free space right now) after 1024 cylinder
> > >
> > > * disk set up now: C:= Win 98, D:= Win 2000 swap file, E:= Win2000,
F:=

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Drew Roedersheimer)
Subject: Re: new computer math books
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2001 00:20:35 GMT

On Tue, 06 Mar 2001 16:34:06 -0700, Gilberto E.Urroz wrote:
>I have produced a number of books for applications of the graphic
>calculators HP 48 G and HP 49 G, as well as for the mathematical
>software Maple (www.waterloomaple.com/) and SCILAB (free download at
>www-rocq.inria.fr/scilab/).  The titles currently available are:
>
>1. Applications of the HP 48 G series calculator in probability and
>statistics  - ISBN 1-58898-040-5
>2. HP 48 G/G+/GX Applications in HYDRAULICS - ISBN 1-58898-041-3
>3. Analytical and numerical methods with the HP 48 G/G+/GX programmable
>calculator -  ISBN 1-58898-042-1
>4. Science and Engineering Mathematics with the HP 49 G - Volume I -
>Introduction, graphics, programming, algebra, solution to equations -
>ISBN 1-58898-043-X
>5. Science and Engineering Mathematics with the HP 49 G - Volume II -
>calculus, differential equations, statistics -  ISBN 1-58898-044-8
>6. Applied Engineering Mathematics with Maple - GUBN 1-58898-214-9
>7. Numerical and Statistical Methods with SCILAB for Science and
>Engineering - Volume I - Introduction, programming, graphics, numerical
>integration, non-linear equations, data fitting, ordinary differential
>equations -  ISBN:1-58898-304-8
>8. Numerical and Statistical Methods with SCILAB for Science and
>Engineering - Volume II  - Orthogonal functions, Fourier analysis,
>partial differential equations, optimization, statistics, random
>variables, probability distributions, statistical inference, regression
>analysis, time series and spatial data -  ISBN:1-58898-305-6
>
>These reasonably priced books can be purchased directly through the web
>site:
>
>http://www.greatunpublished.com/Authors/Gilberto_Urroz.htm

Obviously you've been too busy to read anything about netiquette.  Take your
advertisements elsewhere.  Not to mention that the books are way off topic
for this gruop.

-DR

--
Build a system that even a fool can use and only a fool will want to use it.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (PabloTigreAzul)
Date: 07 Mar 2001 00:43:39 GMT
Subject: Recovering from a system lockup w/o rebooting. How?

While copying several mp3 files (~700 mb) from a Windows 98 partition to a
RedHat 6.0 directory, using a Gnome background process, I tried to connect to
the Internet but my system was so slow that my connection kept timing out. (I
have a Pentium III machine with 64  mb of RAM). As I continue trying to
connect, the process when berserk & a lot of windows popped up displaying
"Background Process Error"  causing my desktop to freeze up. I tried using the
mouse pointer to close these windows without any luck & I also tried Ctrl+Z,
Ctrl+C, Ctrl+Alt+Del, etc., to no avail. I also turned off my external modem,
but nothing happened. I finally decided to reset my computer as the only thing
that I could move on the screen was the mouse pointer. Did I waste my time in
doing what I did or is there a possible way of surviving a Linux system lockup?

------------------------------

From: "jujubeesRULE" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Whatever happened to ipmasqadm module?
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2001 01:02:33 GMT

In article <981dsi$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Hung Ngoc Lai"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I am running RedHat 7.0 with the new kernel 2.4.2.  This is box is being
> used to connect an entire small network to the Internet.  Everything is
> working great (NAT, Firewall, mail, etc...) except one thing.  Since I
> am running the new kernel
> 2.4.2, I am using iptable (netfilter) instead of ipchains in
> version 2.2.
>
> I have a web server which is seating in a DMZ (the linux  box has 3
> interfaces, one for Internal 172.16.1.0/24, one for external
> 199.0.216.222/30, and the other one for DMZ
> 192.168.1.1/24) behind the firewall (linux) that needs to
> accessible by users on the Internet.  When I was running kernel 2.2.18,
> I use the module ipmasqadm to forward web traffic that hit the firewall
> to the web server in the DMZ. Now that I am running kernel 2.4.2, I no
> lonoger see the  module ipmasqadm in the /sbin/ directory.  Whatever
> happened to this module?  Furthermore, the linux firewall is no longer
> delivering web traffic to the web server in the DMZ.  I would like to
> have this problem resolved.  At worst, I have to downgrade the kernel to
> 2.2.18 but I really the new kernel 2.4.2.  Is ipmasqadm is now part of
> the  new kernel 2.4.2?  If it is, what is the command to put it in my
> rc.firewall script?  Please help.
>
> Many thanks. David [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Use netfilter/iptables for masq'ing. This should help:

http://linux.com/tuneup/database.phtml/Networking/2188.html

------------------------------

From: jay <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: hang at real time clock driver
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2001 01:22:56 GMT

I'm running redhat 2.2.17 on an old Winchip 240  with an intel mb.. When
I boot up the machine always hangs at the "Real
time Clock Driver". I need to press the space bar for it to continue.
Which it does without a problem.

What causes the problem? Can I disable the driver? Should I?

thanks
jay

alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.hardware,linux.redhat.misc,redhat.config,redhat.general,redhat.hardware.arch.intel
Subject: Re: HELP - Dual Input Monitor
From: Michael Meissner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 06 Mar 2001 20:41:28 -0500

"Jeff Gentry" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Hello All,
>
> I am researching dual input monitors.
> I will soon be upgrading to RedHat 7.0 on an Intel x86 host
> platform due to project constraints.
> I have limited work space but a generous equipment budget.
> Can someone tell me if RedHat will support dual input monitors?
> If so, can I get the vendor and model numbers for the video card(s)
> and monitor?

I don't know what you mean by dual input monitors.  I imagine it could either
mean monitors that take 2 separate inputs from different computers, or you mean
having one computer drive 2 monitors.

The first case is purely hardware, and Linux wouldn't notice whether or not
another box is connected to the same monitor or not.  If this is case, I would
suggest you look at a KVM (keyboard, video, mouse switcher) instead of just
switching the monitor, because you still need 2 keyboards, and 2 mice.  Sooner
or later, you will have one system showing on the monitor in front of you, and
type on the other keyboard or mouse.  You definately want an electronic KVM and
not a mechanical switch.  Prices are $150 - $1000 depending on features.  Also,
be sure the KVM can handle your desired resolution and display rate (ie, a lot
of KVMs are more geared towards server farms where it is not important to have
high resolution).  I've used the 4 port Cybex Autoview (ok, except the sequence
to switch screens make my repetive motion symptoms flare up), or the 8 port
CompuCable Power Reach (have some problems with mouse state).  Other people
have used the Belkin OmniCube or OmniView SE with good results.  I used a
version of the OmniView without the SE designation several years ago, and it
could not display a 1024x768 screen worth a damn.

The second case, I've heard of people using either the Matrox G400 (and now
G450) or separate pci video cards (especially Matrox cards) to display 2
screens.  I don't think Red Hat linux supports this out of the box, but it
should be possible.

--
Michael Meissner, Red Hat, Inc.  (GCC group)
Work:     [EMAIL PROTECTED]           phone: +1 978-486-9304

------------------------------

From: GM <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.mandrake,comp.os.linux.setup,it.comp.os.linux.iniziare
Subject: problem with bt849A
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2001 01:42:20 GMT

I have a great problem!!!

my tv-card don't work!!!

This is my situation:

Mandrake 7.2 (2.2.17-21mdk)
pIII 450 mhz
128 mb ram
matrox g400 sh 16 mb
scheda TV Aims Xtreme

The list of chips on the my card are:
BT849A KPF
TDA9800T
TEA5757H
TDA7050

The log:
Mar  5 21:53:06 localhost kernel: Linux video capture interface: v1.00
Mar  5 21:53:06 localhost kernel: i2c-core.o: i2c core module
Mar  5 21:53:06 localhost kernel: i2c-algo-bit.o: i2c bit algorithm
module
Mar  5 21:53:06 localhost kernel: bttv: driver version 0.7.35 loaded
Mar  5 21:53:06 localhost kernel: bttv: using 2 buffers with 2080k
(4160k total) for capture
Mar  5 21:53:06 localhost kernel: bttv: Bt8xx card found (0).
Mar  5 21:53:06 localhost kernel: bttv0: Brooktree Bt849 (rev 18) bus:
0, devfn: 128, irq: 15, memory: 0xec001000.
Mar  5 21:53:06 localhost kernel: i2c-core.o: adapter bt848 #0
registered as adapter 0.
Mar  5 21:53:06 localhost kernel: bttv0: i2c: checking for eeprom @
0xa0... not found
Mar  5 21:53:06 localhost kernel: bttv0: i2c: checking for eeprom @
0xae... not found
Mar  5 21:53:06 localhost kernel: bttv0: model: BT849( *** UNKNOWN *** )
[autodetected]
Mar  5 21:53:06 localhost kernel: bttv0: i2c: checking for MSP34xx @
0x80... not found
Mar  5 21:53:06 localhost kernel: bttv0: i2c: checking for TDA8425 @
0x82... not found
Mar  5 21:53:06 localhost kernel: bttv0: i2c: checking for TDA985x @
0xb6... not found
Mar  5 21:53:06 localhost kernel: bttv0: i2c: checking for TDA9875 @
0xb0... not found
Mar  5 21:53:06 localhost kernel: i2c-core.o: driver i2c TV tuner driver
registered.
Mar  5 21:53:06 localhost kernel: tuner: chip found @ 0x60
Mar  5 21:53:06 localhost kernel: bttv0: i2c attach [(unset)]
Mar  5 21:53:06 localhost kernel: i2c-core.o: client [(unset)]
registered to adapter [bt848 #0](pos. 0).

Thanks.

Peppe Minniti
Via Corrado Alvaro, 25
89018 - Villa San Giovanni (RC)
Italy
0965751197  /  03472288942

------------------------------

From: "Newbie from Win98" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: help:Could not determine local IP address
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2001 01:44:25 -0000

I used to have a 192.168 address when I was connected through an ADSL
router.  They were using IP masq'ing.

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

From: "L.V.Gandhi" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Lost my Linux partition - now what?
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2001 07:32:29 +0530

Get explore2fs.exe (zip) from net. It can access your linux partition.
You can import your vmlinuz to your win98 partition. Get loadlin form
your CD.
Now start PC in dos mode using F8 key when starting windows. issue the
command
loadlin vmlinuz root=/dev/hdax
where x is the partition number of / of your linux which also can be
seen using explore2fs if you don't remember.
This should get you in linux. Now do /sbin/lilo -v as root.
This should rewrite lilo in boot sector.

--
L.V.Gandhi
MECON, 5th Floor, RTC Complex, Visakhapatnam AP 530020 INDIA

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bill Unruh)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Date: 7 Mar 2001 02:22:12 GMT

In <983ju2$anr$[EMAIL PROTECTED]> "George Adams"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

]I have (well, had) a dual-boot PC running Win95 and RH Linux 6.2.  In the
]process of upgrading my Win95 partition to Win98, my boot sector and LILO
]got overwritten.  Now the PC boots straights into Win98.  The Linux
]partition is still there, but with no LILO it's pretty much inaccessible.

]I don't have a Linux boot disk (though I can probably get one if it will
]help.)  Is there any way to get back into my Linux partition so I can
]reinstall LILO?  Or is that partition pretty much gone now?  :-(

The partition is fine. It is lilo that is gone.

a) You may be able to reboot from the cdrom. Use the Rescue option
(On Mandrake, you hit F1 at the very beginning and then type in rescue.
NOt sure how redhat does it.) You can then mount the drive containing the
linux /etc directory, (say
mkdir /disk
mount /dev/hda5 /disk
lilo -r /disk
Or lilo -C /disk/etc/lilo.conf

)
b) Next time make a disk copy of your lilo booter
lilo  -b /dev/fd0
Then you can always stick in your floppy and boot to linux and then just
rerun lilo.

------------------------------

From: Jean-David Beyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2001 21:31:19 -0500

PabloTigreAzul wrote:

> While copying several mp3 files (~700 mb) from a Windows 98 partition to a
> RedHat 6.0 directory, using a Gnome background process, I tried to connect to
> the Internet but my system was so slow that my connection kept timing out. (I
> have a Pentium III machine with 64  mb of RAM). As I continue trying to
> connect, the process when berserk & a lot of windows popped up displaying
> "Background Process Error"  causing my desktop to freeze up. I tried using the
> mouse pointer to close these windows without any luck & I also tried Ctrl+Z,
> Ctrl+C, Ctrl+Alt+Del, etc., to no avail. I also turned off my external modem,
> but nothing happened. I finally decided to reset my computer as the only thing
> that I could move on the screen was the mouse pointer. Did I waste my time in
> doing what I did or is there a possible way of surviving a Linux system lockup?

Did you try Ctrl-Alt-Backspace which should log you out (which will
kill most of your currently running process, but not necessarily all
of them)? That might be enough for you to log back in.

Alternatively, did you try Ctrl-Alt-PF[1-6]? That should get you a
command line shell from which you should be able to kill any of your
processes you want.

--
 .~.  Jean-David Beyer           Registered Linux User 85642.
 /V\                             Registered Machine    73926.

------------------------------

From: William MacLeod <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: xawtv or kwintv  howto?
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2001 03:03:03 +0000

Richard Kimber wrote:

> I have a Hauppage WinTv Go card (BT848) and would like to get it working
> with my Mandrake 7.2 /  X4.0.1 / Matrox G450
>
> When I start up, say, kwintv it doesn't detect any programs when it scans
> and so I don't get any picture, but there is a band of broken lines across
> the whole screen that suggests there is a signal there, but something is
> not configured right.
>
> Is this an X problem, or a kwintv/xawtv issue.  I have enabled the drivers
> in the kernel, but have not done anything specifically to X.
>
> I'd appreciate any suggestions.
>
> - Richard.

I have the same setup, but with a V3 2000 instead of a matrox.  First, make
sure that you have a decent aeriel - all TV cards need to recieve a decent
signal, so check out the downlead with another TV if possible.  You may
need to boost the signal with a external booster.  Once you are sure that
the card is getting a signal, start up kwintv, right click in the screen,
program > new, make sure all the settings are right (PAL input, Television
input, Europe West region, then go to the frequency tab and scan from there
- you can fine tune there as well.

Doesn't sound like you've done anything wrong with the software - should
all work as is.

regards,

William MacLeod

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David E. Fox)
Subject: Re: Size of LINUX
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2001 18:59:06 -0800

On Sat, 17 Feb 2001 23:13:05 GMT, Rolie Baldock
 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Hello Folks,
>
>I am not specifically condemning LINUX as such. I am wondering if
>LINUX was written in assembly language by a COMPETENT assembly
>language programmer(the likes of which I have not seen for a long
>time) would it be a lot smaller and faster. Putting all ones faith in

It might be somewhat faster, but in my opinion the C compiler most of
us use on Linux (i.e., gcc) is quite good at optimizing compared to other
(even commercial) compilers. When I started getting into Linux some
years ago, there wasn't really anything out there that optimized as
well as gcc, and the commercial compilers (for instance Microsoft) didn't
even support the 386 instructions -- that in of itself would make code
far more bloated than it needed to be, since the 386 instruction set
(and by extension 386-derived instruction sets on 486/586/etc.) is more
easy to optimize and has some neat features in there.

>the author of the C compiler in my view is not good software
>engineering. It simply CANNOT be proved that the compiled code is the
>tightest and fastest that can be produced. My experience with high

That may be. There's a tradeoff here - you could write a big kernel
like Linux (big in terms of functionality, not necessarily code size) in
assembler, but it would be much harder to port, and we'd probably be
all still running 1.x if Linus wrote the kernel in assembly language. So,
compilers are good for speeding development. Still, tightness of code
space is not necessarily best. For instance, certain things in Linux
are coded in assembler (syscall macros for instance) but they are
inlined for greater speed -- which in of itself increases code size.

Since Linux is free and is open source, get the source to the kernel and
tweak the Makefiles to create .s files (assembler source) and then compare
the C code to the assembler output. That's a good starting point to make a
assembler-based kernel if you are really interested in pursuing that hobby.

>SMALL, amazingly so sometimes. "Get last disk" uses just 651 bytes!!
>Try that in C and see how many bytes it takes.

"Get last disk" is small because at the center of it it depends on DOS and/or
BIOS calls to do the work. Hell, "get DOS version" is only two instructions
if I recall correctly. You can't use that as a strawman for your argument.
Better yet, Linux eliminates all those wasted bytes -- no need for that
particular function at any rate :).