From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Villy Kruse)
Subject: Re: newbie: md5 + C + /etc/shadow
Date: 7 Mar 2001 09:18:21 GMT

On Fri, 2 Mar 2001 19:24:37 +0100, Michal Kolesar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I am newbie to C. I have a question.
>How is possible to generate from plain text to the encrypted
>md5 (or I think that it is md5) password looking like /etc/shadow password?
>
>Example - Line from my /etc/shadow:
>
>test:$1$t1ELPGSv$2sIAmEX7RqDyFAOq6FUpU.:11301:0:99999:7:::134549020
>
>where
>
>$1$t1ELPGSv$2sIAmEX7RqDyFAOq6FUpU.
>
>is a encrypted password 'test' for user test.
>
>I would like use some function in C or other stuff to encrypt some plain
>text
>to the format which is using in /etc/shadow file.

Just use crypt() and specify the entire password as the salt.  Current
crypt version in linux makes a MD5 crypted password if the salt
starts with the magic character $1 and the salt proper is the
characters up to the third dollar sign.

Villy

------------------------------

From: Dean Thompson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.unix.programmer,comp.os.linux.networking,alt.os.linux,comp.dcom.net-management,alt.os.linux.mandrake
Subject: Re: How to close OPENED unused sockets?
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2001 20:21:10 +1100

Hi Rick,

> After running this program netspec (used for traffic generation), it
> doesn't close the sockets used.
>
> After exec comd:  #netstat -a | more
> i can see that the connections are still ESTABLISHED.
>
> Is there a way to manually close the sockets?

It depends on what sort of sockets and port numbers are being used, but you
can always restart the network services which should terminate all sockets to
the system and then bring them back on-line.

Of course, it depends on how netspec actually opens the sockets.  If it
doesn't explicitly close them when it finishes, you will have to wait for the
sockets to time-out which they should do eventually.  Also, you need to make
sure that there are no processes associated with these sockets, as sometimes
they will remain open if a server is still present.

See ya

Dean Thompson

--
+______________________________+____________________________________________+
|   Dean Thompson              | E-mail  - [EMAIL PROTECTED] |

------------------------------

From: Dave <dave@???.com>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.security
Subject: Question about chroot for a user account.
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2001 02:21:13 -0700

I've set up a box that I would like to have a single user account to
allow co-workers shared access to.  I only want them to be able to use
ping, trace and nslookup.

There's no money changing hands here.  I'm merely providing shell
access for basic network diagnostic tools.  If the box gets hacked by
one of them the only thing I will loose is my regard for the people I
work with.

My security concern is people telnetting from my box to someone else's
box and hacking that box from my IP address.

As I understand chroot, it seems to offer the best tradeoff for my
needs between security and configuration ease.

Does anyone else have any info on setting up chroot for a single user
shell account?

If there is a better (easier?) way, can someone point me in the right
direction?

Many thanks in advance!!

------------------------------

From: Donald Arseneau <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: LS-120 syntax in fstab and mtab.
Date: 07 Mar 2001 01:30:19 -0800

"Mordak" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I have an LS-120 that I want to get working in SuSE 7.1 it is my /dev/hdd
> so, I would like to know what the proper syntax is to insert this in my
> fstab and mtab files.
>
> fstab was:
> /dev/hdd    /floppy    vfat    defaults 0 0

You put it in fstab; mounting puts it in mtab.

First, check which isa connector it is plugged into and whether
master or slave.  It is probably secondary master (c) or slave (d).
Assuming it is d, as above, but you might want options "noauto,user",
so the system doesn't try to mount it at bootup, and a regular user can
mount it.

You call it /floppy, but I call mine /ls120.  Why?  Linux wouldn't
boot from a (rescue) floppy in the ls120 drive!  Maybe new kernels
fixed this, but I installed an ordinary floppy drive for /floppy.

So that makes the fstab entry:

/dev/hdd                /ls120              vfat   noauto,user     0 0

Now, if you run automount or autofs you should configure the
auto-mount description files.

Finally, when I set up scsi emulation so I could burn CDs,
the scsi emulator took over the ls120!  This leads to a fstab
entry like:

/dev/sda                /ls120              vfat   noauto,user     0 0

Donald Arseneau                          [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "smillen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: auto starting license daemons
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2001 09:20:30 -0000

Does anyone have a script that they use for auto starting lmgrd and the
vendor daemon upon reboot (placeed in /etc/rc.d/init.d).  I have tried
porting a script over from Solaris but have failed to get it to work.  The
LM_LICENSE_FILE variable does not seem to be passed into the shell.   The
script I have been trying to use is shown below.

#!/bin/sh

echo "Starting MGLS Local License..."
LM_LICENSE_FILE=/LOCAL_LICENSES/mgls_linux.local
export LM_LICENSE_FILE
/bin/sh -c 'su flexlm -c /LOCAL_LICENSES/MGLS/lmgrd -l >>
/LOCAL_LICENSES/LOGS/mgls_local.log&'
echo ".Done."

This is the error:

license manager: can't initialize: Cannot find license file
 The license files (or server network addresses) attempted are
 listed below.  Use LM_LICENSE_FILE to use a different license file,
 or contact your software provider for a license file.
Filename:      /usr/local/flexlm/licenses/license.dat
License path:  /usr/local/flexlm/licenses/license.dat
FLEXlm error:  -1,359.  System Error: 2 "No such file or directory"
For further information, refer to the FLEXlm End User Manual,
available at "www.globetrotter.com".

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Partitioning recommendations?
Date: 7 Mar 2001 07:00:12 GMT

My RH6.1 workstation installation is having serious problems; I've probably
been the victim of a script kiddie.  I've decided to do a new installation,
and need some guidance on partitioning.  A reply on a previous thread
recommended the following, I've had only the indicated space allocation from
the RedHat books.  The linux partition is about 4G; probably not more than
one user.  I'm not sure how much space to allocate to each partition, that's
the recommendation I'm looking for:

/boot   16M
/
/tmp
/var
/home
/usr
swap    128M    ;will have 128MB of RAM

John Meshkoff    johnm at sivakalpa dot org
remove 'johnpipe' in 'From:' to reply
http://www.sivakalpa.org/johnpipe/
"I do not know that I know the self fully,
neither do I know that I know him not"
                ...from the Upanishads

------------------------------

From: "Dave Addison" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
linux.samba,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.help,linux.redhat.misc,comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: /home user profiles and accessing >1 PC with Samba ??
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2001 09:52:41 -0000

I've found the problem with Windows 98 roaming profiles is turning them off.
When I enabled domain logins on a samba PDC, the Windows 98 machines on the
network started uploading profiles without any furher intervention on my
part.

There are two separate Samba configuration values documented in the
samba.conf man page which set the profile location, one for NT and one for
9X. This, at least prevents links to c:\winnt\notepad.exe et al.  appearing
on a windows 98 machine. If you need machine specific profiles, you could
modify the profile location to include the netbios name of the machine using
one of the '%' widgets defined by Samba.

One thing to watch out for. If you use the user home directory as the
profile location, you can find Windows desktop links appearing on the KDE
desktop and vice versa as they will both use a Desktop directory under the
home account

Dave Addison

John Gill <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:sx5p6.305263$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> I am wondering if how Samba can coordinate my various "local" profiles
> withing /home/john when I log into two or more PCs on my LAN.  In fact, I
am
> seeing some problems to suggest that Samba may be confusing which PC I am
> using, and might be mixing-up the profiles.
>
> I am using Red Hat Linux 7 with Samba 2.0.7 with Samba Server as PDC for a
> small home- based LAN with a couple of Win98 and WinNT clients.
>
> I am not using roaming profiles, and have not configured login scripts.
The

------------------------------

From: Stanislaw Flatto <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Switching To Linux From Windows
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2001 21:12:52 +1100

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> What is the advantage of using Linux over Windows. I am pretty new at this but am
>fed up with certain windows problems. Any help would be appreciated.

a) When configured correctly Linux performs on h/w that won't even accept Windows9x.
b) It makes good use of "gray matter", something that many of us missed when using
MS-Glassware.
c) Dissadvantage - if something does not work it can be traced to administrator, means
YOU, so judge for youself.

Otherwise, welcome to Linux-land.

Enjoy.

Stanislaw.
Slack user from Ulladulla.

------------------------------

From: "stephen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Basic Information
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2001 10:03:17 GMT

can anybody tell me where can i find the information for linux basic
information (eg. history, what it is, where it came from)?
thanks

------------------------------

From: "Mark Jeghers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
Subject: Any ILS (Netmeeting) servers on FreeBSD or Linux?
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2001 02:05:20 -0800

The title says it all.  Cannot afford Micro$oft.

Please email reply, I don't follow some of the groups.

Thanks in advance

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
remove ".spammers.go.to.hell" from the above address

------------------------------

From: enkidu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
Subject: Re: Any ILS (Netmeeting) servers on FreeBSD or Linux?
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2001 23:09:01 +1300

Mark Jeghers wrote:

> The title says it all.  Cannot afford Micro$oft.
>
> Please email reply, I don't follow some of the groups.

Do you want a server or just a directory? The MS server
is I think just a directory server. You could use LDAP
(OpenLDAP) I believe, though I have no idea how it
works or how to set it up.

Looking at the above, there is not much real info there,
but it may give you an avenue to explore!

Cheers,

Cliff

------------------------------

From: Michel Bardiaux <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Printer share with IRIX
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2001 11:06:21 GMT

Robert Flint wrote:

> I am using SuSE 7.0 and have an Epson Stylus Photo 1200 printer configured
> in /etc/printcap (using YAST2 to do the setup) and this works fine.
>
> How can I let an IRIX user have access to this printer over the network?
>
> Any help would be much appreciated.
>
> ROB

Yes, IRIX supports "BSD style" printing, i.e. lpr, lpd, printcap.

--
Michel Bardiaux
Peaktime Belgium S.A.  Rue Margot, 37  B-1457 Nil St Vincent