From: "Nils O. Selåsdal" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux programming
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2001 15:17:37 +0100

"Lew Pitcher" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> On Wed, 7 Mar 2001 21:51:16 +0800, "Chris Fancia"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >If I want to write a program in Linux.
> >And I want the program to access to the hardwares.
> >Eg controlling the lan cards,video cards,sound cards....
> >
> >Can I done that with ONLY C/C++?
>
> It can be done with C.
>
> It can't be done with C++ (without extensive support of the C++
> runtime in the kernel)
But C functions can be called from C++

------------------------------

From: "Nils O. Selåsdal" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux and Windows
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2001 15:19:49 +0100

"Onebest1" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Is there anyway that I can install Linux and Windows on the same machine
> so that when the computer starts up, it asks me which I want to start?  If
> so, what are the downsides (if any) to it?
Lilo, comes and installs with most distribution does that.
The downside is that you still can start windows.

------------------------------

From: Floyd Davidson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Partitioning recommendations?
Date: 07 Mar 2001 04:42:35 -0900

dbCooper <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>What is the use for the system?
>
>If it's just your workstation (ie: you are the only user) then save a
>lot of hassle and just do:
>/boot 16M
>swap 128M
>/ 4.9GB
>That way you don't have to think about it -- everything becomes
>available.
>
>If this is going to be a server of some sort, you can gain some
>reliability by locking down some partitions with growing files, so
>that they don't fill up the entire hard drive, crash the system, and
>prevent it from booting.
>
>In that case the 'typical' setup would be something like:
>/boot 16M
>/ 50-100M
>/tmp ?how much is the most you'll need?
>/var 100-200M (low volume/small server)
>/var 1-2GB (high volume server, or debian w/apt-get)
>/usr 1-2GB (depends on how much software you install)
>/home remainder. Note that apache and ftp servers typically keep
>content in /home
>swap 128M
>
>However I would still stand by just keeping everything in one big '/'
>partition, with perhaps a bigish /var partition to prevent the crash I
>mentioned above.

There is no need for a separate /tmp partition.  Symlink /tmp and
/usr/tmp both to /var/tmp.

I doubt that 1G is quite large enough for /usr, and I see no
need for anything near 1G for /var unless there is something
special that isn't obvious.

I cannot imagine allocating only 128M to swap on a machine with
128M of RAM.  That's a total of 256M of virtual memory, which
may sound like a lot... but if you ever scan an image, edit with
gimp or whatever, or just run netscrape for awhile, 256M is
about half of what is nice.  Plus, this is a 4G disk, so
300-400M of swap is cheap, relatively.

I would then figure out what /home might need to be (given that
apache or ftp may or may not be needed, and there may be one or
a dozen users... whatever), and put the remaining space into
another partition that I'd mount as /u1.  That can be used for
almost anything you want to symlink a directory to.

--
Floyd L. Davidson         <http://www.ptialaska.net/~floyd>
Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)                 [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "Nils O. Selåsdal" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: missing C headers for networking
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2001 15:29:23 +0100

"Sven Heinecke" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:983ni5$h6g$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Trying to compile a program this is what gcc gives me:
>
> net/nit_if.h: No such file or directory
> net/nit_buf.h: No such file or directory
> netinet/ip_var.h: No such file or directory
> netinet/udp_var.h: No such file or directory
>
> I'm new to C. So where can I get these headers? Are they included in
> a rpm package that comes with my distro (MD 7.2) ?
the kernel-headers probably.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (shalini jain)
Subject: Reading superblock and inode
Date: 7 Mar 2001 15:30:57 +0100

Hello,

Could anyone suggest possible ways of knowing how to
read the superblock & inodes while not booted in Linux
on a multi boot machine ? This is more specifically
intended for Ext2fs. Are algorithms for the same
already implemented ?

thanks in advance,

Shalini

http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/

--
Posted from web3806.mail.yahoo.com [204.71.203.177]

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Lew Pitcher)
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2001 14:32:30 GMT

On Wed, 7 Mar 2001 15:17:37 +0100, "Nils O. Selåsdal"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>"Lew Pitcher" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> On Wed, 7 Mar 2001 21:51:16 +0800, "Chris Fancia"
>> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>> >If I want to write a program in Linux.
>> >And I want the program to access to the hardwares.
>> >Eg controlling the lan cards,video cards,sound cards....
>> >
>> >Can I done that with ONLY C/C++?
>>
>> It can be done with C.
>>
>> It can't be done with C++ (without extensive support of the C++
>> runtime in the kernel)
>But C functions can be called from C++

So??

Direct access to the hardware must be done from the kernel, so the
code that accesses the hardware must work within the kernel. The
kernel doesn't support object instanciation, function-name mangling,
garbage-cleanup, or any of the other OO things that are inherent in
C++. Since the kernel doesn't support the features that C++ needs,
then C++ can't be used in the kernel, and therefore can't be used to
directly access the hardware.

If you're talking about limiting the hardware access development to
the 'C' subset of C++, then you might as well just develop in C.

Lew Pitcher
Information Technology Consultant
Toronto Dominion Bank Financial Group

([EMAIL PROTECTED])