Linux-Misc Digest #305, Volume #27                Wed, 7 Mar 01 12:13:04 EST

Contents:
  Re: Basic Information (Michael Perry)
  Re: over 65535 users on Linux (Lack Mr G M)
  Re: Starting a GUI on Turbolinux (Michael Perry)
  Re: wrong major or minor number ("Charles P. Koerner")
  Re: Lost my Linux partition - now what? ("George Adams")
  Re: xawtv or kwintv  howto? ("Vigil")
  SuSE 7.0 missing links? (Tommy Jensen)
  Re: Basic Information (Jan Schaumann)
  I've downloaded the ISO file.  Now what do I do with it?  I've burned a CD and it
won't boot with it. ("Newbie from Win98")
  Re: Virus checker for Linuix?
  Re: Moving Linux from one hard drive to another
  Re: I've downloaded the ISO file.  Now what do I do with it?  I've  (Peter Brylde)
  Re: Linux programming ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  NT filenames (Graeme Wood)
  setuid bet for all users ("Roland Zumkeller")
  Performance SMTP Server ("Mr. Clark")
  Re: I've downloaded the ISO file.  Now what do I do with it?  I've burned a CD and
it won't boot with it.
  Re: I've downloaded the ISO file.  Now what do I do with it?  I've  (John Winters)
  Re: NT filenames ("Jan Hackel")
  Re: Starting a GUI on Turbolinux (LFessen106)
  Re: Switching To Linux From Windows (Stan McCann)
  Eicon Diva server Bri on 2.4.2 ("Andreas Moroder")
  Re: 1280x1024 resolution with Geforce2 MX card (Hun)
  Re: Internet access for Linux RedHat 6.1 ("Harlan Grove")
  Re: Basic Information ("Hallvor Engen")
  Re: setuid bet for all users (Mario Auer)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Michael Perry)
Subject: Re: Basic Information
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2001 14:35:04 -0000

On Wed, 07 Mar 2001 10:03:17 GMT, stephen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>can anybody tell me where can i find the information for linux basic
>information (eg. history, what it is, where it came from)?
>thanks

There is a pretty good explanation inside Linux Journal magazine each time
it comes out.  I have also seen readme's which do this with each kernel I
download.  Its probably online somewhere too.

--
Michael Perry
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Lack Mr G M)
Subject: Re: over 65535 users on Linux
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2001 14:16:42 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Lew Pitcher)
writes:
|> On Wed, 07 Mar 2001 09:34:12 +0800, SolarisCert
|> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
|>
|> >How to configure Linux so that
|> >it can have more than 65535 users?
|>
|> IIRC, this feature became available in the 2.4.0 kernel.

   However, it will also require a version of libc that knows about
32-bits uids and gids.

--
========= Gordon Lack =============== [EMAIL PROTECTED]  ============
This message *may* reflect my personal opinion.  It is *not* intended

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Michael Perry)
Subject: Re: Starting a GUI on Turbolinux
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2001 14:40:01 -0000

On Wed, 7 Mar 2001 12:25:52 -0000, Alan Fleming <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Hi again, sorry for asking SUCH a basic question guys, but I'm used to
>working with NT and Win2K platforms.
>
>I set up an old 486 to run turbolinux, so I can use it as my web-server (IIS
>is crap).  It all installed fine, until I rebooted the system.  I can log in
>fine, but I can't figure out how to run KDE or GNOME or whatever.  I can
>browse the various /usr and /bin directories, but I can't figure out how to
>start the GUI.  I once installed linuxFT 1.1 on the same system, and it
>worked fine in mono x-windows.  I'd rather not go back to that!
>
>Thanx in advance.
>Alan

If you are in console mode, did you  by chance answer questions during the
TurboLinux installation about your video card and monitor?  If so, it may
have made an attempt at configuring things or even got it right.  To start
a X session, the default command when you boot into console mode is
"startx".  If you need to setup a video card/monitor, I don't know offhand
the GUI tools that turbo ships with.  I always use xf86config run in console
mode.  This will result in a file called /etc/X11/XF86Config being written.
Be prepared to answer a lot of questions about video card, resolution,
monitor, etc.

You may want to see if you already have this file present from an earlier
attempt when installing TurboLinux.

--
Michael Perry
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "Charles P. Koerner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: wrong major or minor number
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2001 13:50:30 GMT

I'm gettint the same thing, but only after I "update" RH 7.0 after
install.  Then everything "goes to hell".  Get the correct major and mior
numbers if I do "ls -l /dev/fd0 /dev/hda1".
After this, durng "boot" I get all sorts of "failures" and they seemed to
be asociated with "glibc 2.2.17" something.
Have you gotten any results from your posting?
Pete Koerner

------------------------------

From: "George Adams" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Lost my Linux partition - now what?
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2001 09:47:06 -0500

> Get explore2fs.exe (zip) from net. It can access your linux partition.
> You can import your vmlinuz to your win98 partition. Get loadlin form
> your CD.
> Now start PC in dos mode using F8 key when starting windows. issue the
> command
> loadlin vmlinuz root=/dev/hdax
> where x is the partition number of / of your linux which also can be
> seen using explore2fs if you don't remember.
> This should get you in linux. Now do /sbin/lilo -v as root.
> This should rewrite lilo in boot sector.

Thanks to all who helped.  Some of the solutions I tried didn't seem to work
(perhaps because my linux partition was on hdb instead of hda?) but this one
did the trick just fine.  I appreciate your assistance!

------------------------------

From: "Vigil" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: xawtv or kwintv  howto?
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2001 14:48:54 +0000

Try Zapping...

"Richard Kimber" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> had the audacity to claim:

--

.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Tommy Jensen)
Subject: SuSE 7.0 missing links?
Date: 7 Mar 2001 14:51:36 GMT

After cleanly installing SuSE Linux 7.0, I took out my
favorite c-program and tried to compile it, with a
summary of the results shown here:

* Output from gcc:

gcc -pipe -D_REENTRANT -mpentium -O -Wall -c homer.c
In file included from /usr/include/errno.h:36,
                 from homer.c:5:
/usr/include/bits/errno.h:25: linux/errno.h: No such file or directory
In file included from /usr/include/sys/ioctl.h:27,
                 from homer.c:47:
/usr/include/bits/ioctls.h:24: asm/ioctls.h: No such file or directory
homer.c: In function `Marge':
homer.c:1231: `EINTR' undeclared (first use in this function)
homer.c:1231: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
homer.c:1231: for each function it appears in.)
make: *** [homer.o] Error 1

* Indeed, neither a /usr/include/bits/linux nor a
* /usr/include/bits/asm directory seems to exist.
*
* Hence, patching up by making some symbolic links:

Bart:/usr/include/bits # ln -s /usr/src/linux-2.2.16/include/linux linux
Bart:/usr/include/bits # ln -s /usr/src/linux-2.2.16/include/asm asm

* As a result, typing "ls linux" in /usr/include/bits produces a
* long list of *.h files, among others errno.h, same with "ls asm".
*
* And just making completely sure:

Bart:/usr/include/bits # readlink linux
/usr/src/linux-2.2.16/include/linux
Bart:/usr/include/bits # readlink asm
/usr/src/linux-2.2.16/include/asm

* So it seems safe to run "make" again. And here is the result:

gcc -pipe -D_REENTRANT -mpentium -O -Wall -c homer.c
In file included from /usr/include/errno.h:36,
                 from homer.c:5:
/usr/include/bits/errno.h:25: linux/errno.h: No such file or directory
In file included from /usr/include/sys/ioctl.h:27,
                 from homer.c:47:
/usr/include/bits/ioctls.h:24: asm/ioctls.h: No such file or directory
homer.c: In function `Marge':
homer.c:1231: `EINTR' undeclared (first use in this function)
homer.c:1231: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
homer.c:1231: for each function it appears in.)
make: *** [homer.o] Error 1

* just as before :(

Tommy R. Jensen                                Mathematisches Seminar
Tel.: +49 40 42838-6241                      der Universitaet Hamburg
Fax.: +49 40 42838-5190                                 Bundesstr. 55
e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]                    D-20146 Hamburg

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jan Schaumann)
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2001 14:52:10 GMT

* stephen wrote:
> can anybody tell me where can i find the information for linux basic
> information (eg. history, what it is, where it came from)?

Sure, it's this weird thing called the "Internet".  Even though it is
chaotic, one can find almost all the information one needs by using a
so-called "Search-Engine".  But I assume this is too advanced for you -
maybe you can see at your local video-store if they have "Linux for
Dummys" or "The complete idiots Guide to Linux".  Oh, wait, these are
books and you would have to "read" them...

Nevermind.

-Jan

--
Jan Schaumann <http://www.netmeister.org>

http://usvms.gpo.gov/ms-final2.html

------------------------------

From: "Newbie from Win98" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.networking,uk.comp.os.linux,alt.os.linux.suse,linux.redhat
Subject: I've downloaded the ISO file.  Now what do I do with it?  I've burned a CD
and it won't boot with it.
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2001 15:07:04 -0000

Dear All,

please can you help me?

I've downloaded the SuSE EVal 7_0 ISO file.  Now what do I do with it?  I've
burned a CD and it won't boot with it.  Do I need to unzip it or something?

I do not have any copies of Linux on this box and I have not installed Linux
before.

The filename is: live-evaluation-i386-70.iso

It's my first time trying Linux so please be gentle with me, no flames
please.

Thanks for any help you an give me.

Martin.

------------------------------

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Virus checker for Linuix?
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2001 15:27:09 GMT

Robert Heller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I believe there are *native running* virus checkers -- they run under
> Linux and check for MS-Windows viruses.  This *normally* makes sense if
> you are, say, running a FTP server on a Linux box and want to check the
> uploads, but I guess it also makes sense (now) if you are running a mail
> server on a Linux box and want to filter infected E-Mail.

I know that McAfee has a version for linux - my old employer had a copy
on the corp. server, but I don't know anything else about it...

Kris

------------------------------

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Moving Linux from one hard drive to another
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2001 15:37:09 GMT

James D Parker Jr. <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Second question: The 'almost' I referred to was the swap partition.
> Partition Magic has documentation that says it has full support for
> Linux ext2 and swap partitions. Except, it seems, that you can't do
> anything with a Linux swap partition except delete it. Partition Magic
> had all other options greyed out or missing regarding swap partitions.
> Couldn't copy, move, resize or create a Linux swap partition. So, for
> now, Linux on hdb is pointing to the swap partition on hda. How can I
> create a Linux swap partition without making Partition Magic think that
> the partition table is corrupt? Creating a partition with Linux fdisk
> won't do. That leaves the entire disk "bad" to Partition Magic and
> results in fdisk for OS/2, DOS and Win95 useless even for the other hard
> drive. All three fail to come up once you've used Linux fdisk to create
> a partition.

Well..  Let's see... Your new linux setup is entirely in hdb, correct?
Partition Magic had nothing to do with hdb, correct?  If that is the case,
why not just create a new swap partition on hdb, activate that, and
deactivate the swap on hda. After that, you can use PM to do anything
you want to that partition (in this case, delete it...)  The main
reason there are no options for PM, AFAIK, in regard to swap partitions
is that there really is nothing you can do for them...  Since they are
nothing more then "scratch" areas, they hold no valid data as long
as the os is not running and using that area (that particular swap
partition.)

I don't know if this is what you were looking to do, tho...

YMMV

Kris

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2001 16:44:57 +0100
From: Peter Brylde <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.networking,uk.comp.os.linux,alt.os.linux.suse,linux.redhat
Subject: Re: I've downloaded the ISO file.  Now what do I do with it?  I've

Newbie from Win98 wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> please can you help me?
>
> I've downloaded the SuSE EVal 7_0 ISO file.  Now what do I do with it?  I've
> burned a CD and it won't boot with it.  Do I need to unzip it or something?
>
> I do not have any copies of Linux on this box and I have not installed Linux
> before.
>
> The filename is: live-evaluation-i386-70.iso
>
> It's my first time trying Linux so please be gentle with me, no flames
> please.
>
> Thanks for any help you an give me.
>
> Martin.

If you have burned the iso file directly to the CD nothing will work. You must
burn it using the 'raw data' option. A nice link is
http://www.linux-mandrake.com/howtos/iso/howtoisoen.html

Good luck!

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Linux programming
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2001 15:45:05 GMT

"Chris Fancia" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> If I want to write a program in Linux.
> And I want the program to access to the hardwares.
> Eg controlling the lan cards,video cards,sound cards....

> Can I done that with ONLY C/C++?  I know that is necessary to write
> Assembly in Windows...

You should use the abstractions that are provided, such as file
systems, TCP/IP structures like sockets, X, and such.

That allows your software to be fairly portable.

If what you want to do is to have "physical" control over the
hardware, then you probably _don't_ want to use Linux, and are merely
mentioning its name because it seems popular these days.  Which is a
silly reason.
--
(reverse (concatenate 'string "gro.mca@" "enworbbc"))
http://vip.hyperusa.com/~cbbrowne/languages.html

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Graeme Wood)
Subject: NT filenames
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2001 15:29:49 GMT

 Hi list,
          I've been mounting FAT and NT filesystem on samba and trying to back
them up but the filenames are not exactly the same on Linux.
 Can anyone enlighten me on this ???

 Thanks

 nG.

------------------------------

From: "Roland Zumkeller" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.debian.user,alt.os.linux
Subject: setuid bet for all users
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2001 16:52:12 +0100

How can I set the setuid bit for all users?

With "chmod a+s" all I can achieve is permissions that look like:
-rwsr-sr--

It seems it just ignores the setting for the "others" part.

What am I doing wrong? Or is this a security measure?
(I'm using Debian 2.2 with Kernel 2.4.2)

Thanks,

- Roland

------------------------------

From: "Mr. Clark" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Performance SMTP Server
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2001 10:04:01 -0600

Can anyone give me some advice on how to build a high performance SMTP
server under Linux?  I know there are several packages available.  We have
to do some very large mass mailings (not Spam so don't worry!), and I'm
wondering if a Linux box might provide a solution (I'm trying to find any
excuse to get Linux running around here).  What kind of throughput can I expect (ie.
emails/hour).

Best,

Ed

------------------------------

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: I've downloaded the ISO file.  Now what do I do with it?  I've burned a
CD and it won't boot with it.
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2001 16:05:38 GMT

In comp.os.linux.networking Newbie from Win98 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Dear All,

> please can you help me?

> I've downloaded the SuSE EVal 7_0 ISO file.  Now what do I do with it?  I've
> burned a CD and it won't boot with it.  Do I need to unzip it or something?

Can your machine boot from a CD?  Not all can....

Can you see the files on the CD if you look at it via windows?  You should,
if not there is probably a problem in how you burned the CD, or the
transfer failed partially...  What did you use to burn the CD?

There should be some documentation on the CD you can look at via Win, as well
as some floppy disk boot images.  (Use rawrite to write these to a floppy.)

I am not familiar with SuSE, so I can't say for sure...  YMMV

Good Luck!

Kris

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (John Winters)
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.networking,uk.comp.os.linux,alt.os.linux.suse,linux.redhat
Date: 7 Mar 2001 16:06:48 -0000

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Peter Brylde  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Newbie from Win98 wrote:
>
>> Dear All,
>>
>> please can you help me?
>>
>> I've downloaded the SuSE EVal 7_0 ISO file.  Now what do I do with it?  I've
>> burned a CD and it won't boot with it.  Do I need to unzip it or something?
>>
>> I do not have any copies of Linux on this box and I have not installed Linux
>> before.
>>
>> The filename is: live-evaluation-i386-70.iso
>>
>> It's my first time trying Linux so please be gentle with me, no flames
>> please.
>>
>> Thanks for any help you an give me.
>>
>> Martin.
>
>If you have burned the iso file directly to the CD nothing will work. You must
>burn it using the 'raw data' option.

Just to clarify a bit - you *must* burn the iso file directly to the CD.  It's
the other way around which won't work.  If you've made a CD with a copy of the
ISO on it (as a file) then it won't work.

John
--
John Winters.  Wallingford, Oxon, England.

The Linux Emporium - the source for Linux CDs in the UK
See http://www.linuxemporium.co.uk/

------------------------------

From: "Jan Hackel" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: NT filenames
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2001 17:26:00 +0100

>           I've been mounting FAT and NT filesystem on samba and trying to
back
> them up but the filenames are not exactly the same on Linux.
>  Can anyone enlighten me on this ???

Look at this:
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/samba/chapter/book/ch05_04.html

CU, Jan

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (LFessen106)
Date: 07 Mar 2001 16:25:50 GMT

>Hi again, sorry for asking SUCH a basic question guys, but I'm used to
>working with NT and Win2K platforms.
>
>I set up an old 486 to run turbolinux, so I can use it as my web-server (IIS
>is crap).  It all installed fine, until I rebooted the system.  I can log in
>fine, but I can't figure out how to run KDE or GNOME or whatever.  I can
>browse the various /usr and /bin directories, but I can't figure out how to
>start the GUI.  I once installed linuxFT 1.1 on the same system, and it
>worked fine in mono x-windows.  I'd rather not go back to that!
>
>Thanx in advance.
>Alan

startx

------------------------------

From: Stan McCann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Switching To Linux From Windows
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2001 08:48:44 -0700

> What is the advantage of using Linux over Windows. I am pretty new at this but am
>fed up with certain windows problems. Any help would be appreciated.

> Linux Programmer's Site

You may have answered your own question above.  One of the things I like
about Linux over Win is less need to reboot.  I too, am fed up with Win
problems.  I wish that I could get some of my applications going on
Linux so I could say goodbye to windows.  For instance, I still use
Quicken on windows; I just haven't found anything suitable for Linux
yet?  Intuit!  Are you listening?

Stan McCann

------------------------------

From: "Andreas Moroder" <amoroder@se-nord.[nospam]provinz.bz.it>
Subject: Eicon Diva server Bri on 2.4.2
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2001 16:37:48 +0100

Hello,

I have a system with a 2.4.2 kernel and want to use a Ecion Diva Server ISA
Card.

I tried to follow the documentation found in Documentation/isdn, but it
seems to be out of date.

I did the following.

pnpdump -c >pnp
isapnp pnp

I got OK,

now I tried to insmod divas.o but I don't know the parameters I must pass.

Can anyone help me ?

Thank You

Andreas Moroder

P.S. If possible please sen the answer via e-mail

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Hun)
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: 1280x1024 resolution with Geforce2 MX card
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2001 16:38:35 GMT

I run 1600x12000 @70Hz.
Monitor is LG Flatron 795FT Plus
Horizontal Freq. 30-96
Vertical Freq: 50-160

Graphic board: ASUS V7100 GeForce2 MX - 32

XFree86 4.0.2
NVIDIA_Kerel-0.96
NVIDIA_GLX-0.96

In my experienc, the resolution is depend on Monitor's Frequency range and the
graphich board.
Before I use this graphic card, 1024x768 isn't good by the old graphic board.

From: "Harlan Grove" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Internet access for Linux RedHat 6.1
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2001 16:40:59 GMT

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>What are my options for connecting to the Internet on Linux RedHat 6.1?
>Are there ISPs that support the Linux OS?

If you mean through dial-up PPP connections, any ISP to which you can
connect using Windows dial-up networking applet you can connect to using
various Linux PPP dialers. Sorry to mention Windows, but if the support
people at potential ISPs profess complete ignorance of Linux or say they
don't support it, they should be familiar with Windows dial-up networking.
If not, avoid that ISP.

You'd need some information from your ISP for authentication (username - not
likely to be your e-mail address - and password) and configuration (DNS
addresses). If you're just getting started, there's a program called vppp
with which you just fill in a form with this information then connect. It's
a bit easier than Red Hat's linuxconf.

------------------------------

From: "Hallvor Engen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2001 17:56:53 +0100

"stephen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> skrev i melding
news:FHnp6.34785$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> can anybody tell me where can i find the information for linux basic
> information (eg. history, what it is, where it came from)?
> thanks

There is an interview with a writer (Glyn Moody) that writes about
open source at http://www.npr.org/ramfiles/fa/20010226.fa.01.ram. I
think that explains a bit about this in an easy way.

Take a look at these links, maybe you find something:
http://www.gnu.org/
http://www.linux.org/
http://www.linuxdoc.org/

If not,  use the search engines.
http://www.google.com/
http://www.altavista.com/

Hallvor

------------------------------

From: Mario Auer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.debian.user,alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: setuid bet for all users
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2001 17:26:45 +0100

Hi,

in fact this means set group id and set user id on execution, respectively.
So if the program is run its effective group/user id is set to the owner of
the file. So the question is only who is allowed to execute this file which
is determined by the "x" bit. In particular you have to "chmod o+x".

Regards,
Mario