Linux-Misc Digest #306, Volume #27                Wed, 7 Mar 01 14:13:04 EST

Contents:
  Re: Switching To Linux From Windows (Vincent Fox)
  WTD: Info on Promise ATA100 controller and Linux (Stephen Anthony)
  Is there a way to do this?  vitual file = pipe to command (Lee Allen)
  Re: setuid bet for all users (Jeremiah DeWitt Weiner)
  Re: Reading superblock and inode (Jeremiah DeWitt Weiner)
  Re: Switching To Linux From Windows (Jean-David Beyer)
  Re: Is there a way to do this?  vitual file = pipe to command (Lew Pitcher)
  Re: Starting a GUI on Turbolinux ("Alan Fleming")
  Re: Starting a GUI on Turbolinux ("Alan Fleming")
  Re: too many files open (Jeremiah DeWitt Weiner)
  How to compile a static "ls" ? (Bill Delphenich)
  Re: too many files open (Jeremiah DeWitt Weiner)
  Re: Basic Information ("Harlan Grove")
  Re: Changing Mount - Going off on a tangent ("Harlan Grove")
  Re: Virus checker for Linuix? (John Hasler)
  Re: I've downloaded the ISO file.  Now what do I do with it?  I've  (vicka)
  Re: Is there a way to do this?  vitual file = pipe to command (Lee Allen)
  Re: ppp (Andrew Rounds)
  Re: Performance SMTP Server
  Video WebCam Question ("Jason C. Hill")
  log manager
  Help:  Linux 6.0 install on laptop (Robert)
  Re: Help! partitioning woes with RH 6.1 (Christoph Kukulies)
  Re: LILO + Mylex 170 ("Steve Wolfe")
  Re: Performance SMTP Server (Grant Edwards)
  Re: Changing Mount (Lee Webb)
  Re: Help:  Linux 6.0 install on laptop ("Thom Lawrence")

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Vincent Fox)
Subject: Re: Switching To Linux From Windows
Date: 7 Mar 2001 17:03:13 GMT

In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Stan McCann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
writes:

*snip*

>You may have answered your own question above.  One of the things I like
>about Linux over Win is less need to reboot.  I too, am fed up with Win
>problems.  I wish that I could get some of my applications going on
>Linux so I could say goodbye to windows.  For instance, I still use
>Quicken on windows; I just haven't found anything suitable for Linux
>yet?  Intuit!  Are you listening?

No, the most important thing is that source is provided.
This ultimately means if a problem frustrates you enough
you can scratch your itch and fix it. The *result* of this
philosophy is why Linux needs fewer reboots than Windows.
Ultimately on Windows reboot is all you CAN do to fix many
system problems. On Linux you can debug it yourself. This
may not mean you particularly, but oftentimes someone will
fix it and post their fix to the net. Then you can go
get it without waiting six months for the next service pack.

The advantages of a system where the most dedicated users
and operators have the access to make changes should be obvious.
In a largish pool of users, many will be just users but there
will be several who are skilled and motivated enough to
identify and fix problems. They will pass fixes on.
In the MS model, users cannot fix it themselves and
get so frustrated with waiting on hold for two hours that
the solution is the quicker but less permanent one: reboot.
MS products are not ultimately evil, their brokenness is
rather just a result of the old-style closed-source process.

A side-effect of the open-source model is that the speed of
improvements is considerably faster. This is why systems
such as the Linux family have gone from relative obscurity
a few years ago to it's current place on everyone's list of
"things I should now try out". All without a giant
megacorporation driving it's design top-down. Neat eh?

My only use for keeping a Win98 box around is gaming.

--
        "Who needs horror movies when we have Microsoft"?
         -- Christine Comaford, PC Week, 27/9/95

------------------------------

From: Stephen Anthony <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: WTD: Info on Promise ATA100 controller and Linux
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2001 13:38:59 -0330

I'm planning on adding an IBM Deskstar 30GB drive to a Promise ATA100
PCI controller card.  I'm keeping a CD writer on the internal IDE port
and disabling the other IDE port (to gain an IRQ).

Anyone have this type of setup, and if so, are you having any problems?
I'm currently running Mandrake 7.2 with kernel 2.4.2.  I've heard that
the 2.4 kernels have support built in, how well does it work.  Also, is
anyone actually getting 37MB/sec from this drive and controller, as I've
heard is possible in Windows?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Steve Anthony

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Lee Allen)
Subject: Is there a way to do this?  vitual file = pipe to command
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2001 17:11:05 GMT

This is one of those things that I figure Linux must be able to do,
but if so, I don't know about it, and I don't know where to look.

I want to create a file that is not really a file, but is a pipe to a
command.  Specifically, something like this:

/tmp/printfile = | lpr

so anything sent to /tmp/printfile is spooled to my printer.

Is there a way to do this?

Thanks.

-Lee Allen

------------------------------

From: Jeremiah DeWitt Weiner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.debian.user,alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: setuid bet for all users
Date: 7 Mar 2001 17:12:48 GMT

In comp.os.linux.misc Roland Zumkeller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> How can I set the setuid bit for all users?

> With "chmod a+s" all I can achieve is permissions that look like:
> -rwsr-sr--

        It's probably easier if you use octal numbers.  zB:

chindi:/tmp$ chmod 4000 foo ; ls -l foo
---S------   1 jdweiner users           0 Mar  7 12:08 foo
chindi:/tmp$ chmod 2000 foo ; ls -l foo
======S===   1 jdweiner users           0 Mar  7 12:08 foo
chindi:/tmp$ chmod 1000 foo ; ls -l foo
=========T   1 jdweiner users           0 Mar  7 12:08 foo
chindi:/tmp$ chmod 7000 foo ; ls -l foo
---S--S--T   1 jdweiner users           0 Mar  7 12:08 foo

        It's not usually called the setuid bit when it's for "other", since
"setuid other" is sort of a strange concept!  It's called the "sticky bit"
instead, and means nothing for files (IIRC) and "make files only removable
by owner" for directories.

JDW

------------------------------

From: Jeremiah DeWitt Weiner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Reading superblock and inode
Date: 7 Mar 2001 17:14:50 GMT

shalini jain <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Could anyone suggest possible ways of knowing how to
> read the superblock & inodes while not booted in Linux
> on a multi boot machine ? This is more specifically
> intended for Ext2fs. Are algorithms for the same
> already implemented ?

        Not sure if this is what you want, but there is a utility called
Explore2fs for Windows, which I believe allows you to see the inodes of
files in an ext2 filesystem.  Don't know about the superblock, though...

JDW

------------------------------

From: Jean-David Beyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2001 12:17:54 -0500

Stan McCann wrote:

> One of the things I like
> about Linux over Win is less need to reboot.  I too, am fed up with Win
> problems.  I wish that I could get some of my applications going on
> Linux so I could say goodbye to windows.  For instance, I still use
> Quicken on windows; I just haven't found anything suitable for Linux
> yet?  Intuit!  Are you listening?

Intuit never listens. They add features, but never remove bugs. Almost
two years ago, they sent me a great offer for the Quicken 2000. I
wrote them saying I would not be purchasing any new releases of
Quicken until would run satisfactorally on Linux, not the half-hearted
versions they seem to supply for MacIntoshes. They did reply, saying
they would turn my suggestion over to engineering.

Of course, it is not an engineering problem, so that was wasted. They
need to turn it over to their policy making department, since it would
mean that they would have to remover the hard-wired Internet Explorer
from the Quicken program and restore the choice of browsers that they
had in the old versions such as Quicken 5 and Quicken 6 of yesteryear.

But since they cannot be bothered to fix bugs, some over 4 years old
and persisting from version to version, I assume they will never
convert it to other operating systems than Windows.

I wish GnuCash would get to the point where one could download it and
install it on my system. I never solve all the library dependencies.
And I could not really use it anyway until someone comes up with a
compatible tax preparation software package like TurboTax to work with
it.

--
 .~.  Jean-David Beyer           Registered Linux User 85642.
 /V\                             Registered Machine    73926.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Lew Pitcher)
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2001 17:21:15 GMT

On Wed, 07 Mar 2001 17:11:05 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Lee Allen) wrote:

>This is one of those things that I figure Linux must be able to do,
>but if so, I don't know about it, and I don't know where to look.
>
>I want to create a file that is not really a file, but is a pipe to a
>command.  Specifically, something like this:
>
>/tmp/printfile = | lpr
>
>so anything sent to /tmp/printfile is spooled to my printer.
>
>Is there a way to do this?

You can
a) define a file called /tmp/printfile
b) start up a daemon process that reads from /tmp/printfile
   (i.e. nohup lpr </tmp/printfile &)

To reduce the storage requirements to a bare minimum, /tmp/printfile
should be a named pipe (mkfifo)

Baroque, to be sure  <g>

Lew Pitcher
Information Technology Consultant
Toronto Dominion Bank Financial Group

([EMAIL PROTECTED])

From: "Alan Fleming" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Starting a GUI on Turbolinux
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2001 17:19:41 -0000

I've actually tried both your suggestions (ie startx and xf86config) but all
I get in response is a file not found error.  Here's what I can definitely
do:
1. I can ping my dhcp server, and all other local PC's.
2. I can run FTP
3. I can browse the main folders (took me 30 mins to figure this one out.  I
already knew the ls command from ftp)

That's it.
Whenever I type a program name, it says: Bash: file not found or something.
While installing, I didn't get the option to choose my vdu, video card or
mouse.  All I got was the lan/scsi stuff, and a choice on what kernel to
install (ie i386 kernel, i586, i686 or i386 SMP, i586 SMP.....)

What is SMP btw?

I might try installing again, just to check that I haven't set any 'never
work' settings. :)

Alan
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "Alan Fleming" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2001 17:21:17 -0000

I almost forgot - if I get to choose which gui I install (if there is more
than one included), which would you recommend for a Windoze guru?

Alan

------------------------------

From: Jeremiah DeWitt Weiner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: too many files open
Date: 7 Mar 2001 17:24:12 GMT

Allan Tingey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> hi,

> Redhat 6.2

> Anyone know what to tweak to increase the number
> of files that can be open at the same time?

        Try putting a bigger value in /proc/sys/file-max.

JDW

------------------------------

From: Bill Delphenich <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: How to compile a static "ls" ?
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2001 12:29:16 -0500

I need to compile "ls" without any dynamic links to be used on my FTP
site. I downloaded the source code for "fileutils" from the GNU site and
compiled it, but the "ls" I ended up with has links all over the place.

I don't know much compiling from source, but I didn't see any
instructions on getting a statically linked "ls" out of it.

What am I missing? Is there an argument I can give to ./configure to
tell it give me no dynamic links? Any suggestions? Any HOW-TO I am
missing?

Thanks for any assistance.

------------------------------

From: Jeremiah DeWitt Weiner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 7 Mar 2001 17:29:18 GMT

Jeremiah DeWitt Weiner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Allan Tingey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> hi,

>> Redhat 6.2

>> Anyone know what to tweak to increase the number
>> of files that can be open at the same time?

>       Try putting a bigger value in /proc/sys/file-max.

        D'oh.  I meant /proc/sys/fs/file-max, of course.

JDW

------------------------------

From: "Harlan Grove" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Basic Information
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2001 17:33:48 GMT

stephen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:FHnp6.34785$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>can anybody tell me where can i find the information for linux basic
>information (eg. history, what it is, where it came from)?
>thanks

There's a book by Glyn Moody called 'Rebel Code' that gives a fairly
thorough history.

------------------------------

From: "Harlan Grove" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Changing Mount - Going off on a tangent
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2001 17:33:49 GMT

Lew Pitcher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

<snip>

>  4) copy your existing /var directory to the new partition
>     (from the faq, this can be done with
>       '(cd /source/directory && tar cf - . ) |
>         (cd /dest/directory && tar xvfp - )'

Is there any advantage to this tar approach vs  find /src | cpio -pvd /dest
? Does tar do error checking that cpio doesn't?

------------------------------

From: John Hasler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Virus checker for Linuix?
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2001 16:36:27 GMT

Chris Gordon-Smith writes:
> A virus that could attack and compromise both Linux and Windows in the
> way you assume I meant would be quite a versatile beast!

It would just be a Linux virus with a Windows virus as a payload.  If there
were Linux viruses this would be an obvious and effective attack.
--
John Hasler
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2001 19:50:06 +0100
From: vicka <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,linux.redhat
Subject: Re: I've downloaded the ISO file.  Now what do I do with it?  I've

its possible to MOUNT THIS FILE like any other
DEVICE
so if u mount it like smth iso96xxx then u can
browse it like simple cd
of course if u have no x near 2 u it will not work
:(
i just downloaded iso file to
and i think i will install mandrake first and ONLY
then 3BSD :)
newbie too --> vicka

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Lee Allen)
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2001 18:01:24 GMT

On Wed, 07 Mar 2001 17:21:15 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Lew Pitcher)
wrote:

>On Wed, 07 Mar 2001 17:11:05 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Lee Allen) wrote:
>
>>This is one of those things that I figure Linux must be able to do,
>>but if so, I don't know about it, and I don't know where to look.
>>
>>I want to create a file that is not really a file, but is a pipe to a
>>command.  Specifically, something like this:
>>
>>/tmp/printfile = | lpr
>>
>>so anything sent to /tmp/printfile is spooled to my printer.
>>
>>Is there a way to do this?
>
>You can
>a) define a file called /tmp/printfile
>b) start up a daemon process that reads from /tmp/printfile
>   (i.e. nohup lpr </tmp/printfile &)
>
>To reduce the storage requirements to a bare minimum, /tmp/printfile
>should be a named pipe (mkfifo)

Wow.  That's really simple.

How would lpr know when the user/process is done writing to the file
and it can release the spool file for printing?

-Lee Allen

------------------------------

From: Andrew Rounds <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ppp
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2001 18:12:06 +0000

Thanks fior te information. I've amended my modules.conf accordingly and
the message has gone away. Thanks too to Bill who mailed me.

------------------------------

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Performance SMTP Server
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2001 18:02:54 GMT

one word - qmail

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "Jason C. Hill" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.questions,linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Video WebCam Question
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2001 13:21:51 -0500

Does anyone have information on how to setup a video cam/capture device
to a linux box (redhat 6.2).  I'm looking to do one of those silly
on-line web cam things and I just need info for it.  Such as which video
camera is good, is there software out there to do it for me, etc.

Any info on this subject is appreciated.

Thanks,

   -Jason

------------------------------

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: log manager
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2001 18:30:06 -0000

Hi!

Does anyone know how to change the default log manager?

Thanks,
Ruby

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Robert)
Subject: Help:  Linux 6.0 install on laptop
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2001 18:33:09 GMT

I purchased a copy of "Red Hat Linux 6.0 - Unleashed" and have been
unable to install this O/S on my laptop even though I've successfully
installed  it on my desktop.  I've followed all of the possible
installation instructions from the book.  Part of the problem is that
I have to use a swappable CD and Floppy drive on my laptop and cannot
use both simultaneously.  The instructions in the book indicate that I
can install directly from the CD using the 'linux ks' or 'expert'
commands.  Neither of these worked for me.

My system information is:
Current O/S - Win 98
Intel celeron processor
128mb ram
1gb partition set up for Linux

I would appreciate any and all assistance/advice.

Thank you,

Robert Kendall

------------------------------

From: Christoph Kukulies <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Help! partitioning woes with RH 6.1
Date: 7 Mar 2001 18:36:19 GMT

Eric <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
:> Is there a general limit (e.g. 32 GB ?) or do I need a newer
:> kernel or kernel tools (fsck, mkfs etc.)?
:>

: Indeed there was such a limit, get the latest 2.2 kernel, and use that.

: Eric

I'm seeing strange things:

When I install from a 6.1 install/boot floppy containing a 2.2.14 kernel
and partition after the following scheme:

/boot /dev/hda1 16 MB
/     /dev/hda7 3.2 GB
swap  /dev/hda5 512 MB
/data /dev/hda6 35.5 GB (or whatever the rest to 41 GB is - disk is an
IBM-DTLA-304050 BIOS [Auto] 1024/255/63 CHS=8422 Max LBA 41174 MB

and boot the first time after install my root disk
jumps to /dev/hda8 and is corrupted. (fsck fails).

How can I make sure that I don't install the kernel that is on the
6.1 stock CD? That is, I want to make sure to install the
updated kernel (e.g.2.2.17-14) that I copied (vmlinuz) to the boot
floppy.

Help! I'm pulling my hairs now. I installed at least 10 times
from the CD and get this partition table/FS weirdness.

After each install failure I have to boot a DOS floppy and
erase the partition table using a disk editor :-(
(for some reason I have to stay with 6.1 for a while since all
other machines are at that level, NFS, YP, ya know)

--
Chris Christoph P. U. Kukulies [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "Steve Wolfe" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: LILO + Mylex 170
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2001 11:34:19 -0700

> If  "lilo -T geom" didn't find it, chances are it does not exist.  A
second
> check can be from the lilo source code directory, do a "make floppy"; boot
> this floppy.  It runs "lilo -T geom" in real mode, in the exact boot
> environment that the boot loader sees.  If it does no see any more device
> codes, then they are not being assigned by the BIOS.  You are out of luck.

  OK, here's something that makes me wonder.

  Yesterday, while fiddling around with DOS's fdisk, it *will* see the raid
array.  For fun, I partitioned and formatted the RAID array, and DOS will
boot to it just fine.

  Now, I'm not exactly clear on all of this, so I could be wrong - but
doesn't the fact that DOS will boot to it indicate that the BIOS can, in
fact, see the drive?

steve

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Grant Edwards)
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2001 19:04:15 GMT

In article <iJup6.37654$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>one word - qmail

I've also heard good things about postfix.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  The Osmonds! You are
                                  at               all Osmonds!! Throwing up

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Lee Webb)
Subject: Re: Changing Mount
Date: 7 Mar 2001 19:04:31 GMT

On Wed, 7 Mar 2001 10:15:01 +0200, Katriel Traum wrote:
>I have a Linux installed on 1 Hard-Drive, with one Partition.
>My server runs squid, and the /var/spool/squid, is eating up at my drive
>space and speed.
>I added a new Hard-Drive to my computer.
>Now, is there a way to change the mount for /var to the new disk ( say
>/dev/hdb ), and still maintaining all data?

Simple (he says ;-) :

O.K. Say we have /var currently on /dev/hda1 (I'm asuming you've got one
partition for everything at the moment), and you want to move the
/var/spool/quid directory onto the a partition on /dev/hdb...

$ su -
Password:
$ mkdir /mnt/newvar
$ mount /dev/hdb<whatever partition the new var gonna be on> /mnt/newvar
$ mkdir /mnt/newvar/squid
$ <stop squid>
$ cd /var/spool/squid
$ cp -dpr * /mnt/newvar/squid
<go & have a cup of coffee while it does its stuff>
$ vi /etc/fstab
/dev/hda7 /var/spool ext2 defaults 1 2

<will become...>
/dev/hdb<whatever partition the new var is gonna be on> /var ext2 defaults 1 2
:wq
$ cd ..
$ mv squid squid.old
$ mount /dev/hdb<#> /var/spool
$ <restart squid>

There may be typos: it's been a long day.

The general jist:

1. Mount the new partition on the new hard disk
2. Create a squid directory on the new hd: just in case you want other stuff
   on that partition...you choice. Personally, I would create a partition soley
   for squid: easier to backup/transfer.
3. Stop squid so that it doesn't update the directory...
4. Copy all files from current /var/spool/squid into the new squid dir on the
   new hd.
5. Modify fstab so that, on reboot, /var/spool/squid will point to /dev/hdb<#>
6. I've "backed up" the current squid dir, just in case...
7. Mount the new squid partition.
8. Restart squid...and pray ;-)

E&OE.

Lee.

------------------------------

From: "Thom Lawrence" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Help:  Linux 6.0 install on laptop
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2001 18:48:36 -0000

Robert said...

> I purchased a copy of "Red Hat Linux 6.0 - Unleashed" and have been
> unable to install this O/S on my laptop even though I've successfully
> installed  it on my desktop.  I've followed all of the possible
> installation instructions from the book.  Part of the problem is that
> I have to use a swappable CD and Floppy drive on my laptop and cannot
> use both simultaneously.  The instructions in the book indicate that I
> can install directly from the CD using the 'linux ks' or 'expert'
> commands.  Neither of these worked for me.

is the cd bootable, and can your laptop boot cds? sounds like both
answers aren't yes, so here is my experience: i have a toshiba laptop
with one of those stupid selectabay things where you can't have both the
floppy and the cd drive at once. the bios also doesn't support booting
from the cd, so i got a boot manager from somewhere on the web that
could force a boot from the cd. i think i used 'smart boot manager' or
something. install it off a dos floppy or whatever, bung the cd drive
back in and it should come up with a nice menu when you reboot, with an
option to boot from the cd. hopefully. once stuff was running off the cd
for me, everything was okay. if it's not a bootable cd then i'm too
stupid to help, sadly.

--
thom lawrence