From: "George M. Butler" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: My kernal won't load
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2001 13:09:47 -0600

==============231FBD518FD2909FA5A319B7

Hello all,

I have been using Linux ( Redhat 6.2 ) since last October and it has
been fine.  I noticed
several days ago that I could not use my printer and when I tried to
restart the printer daemon
it complained that it could not start it.  So I tried rebooting the
system and failed messeages
flew by.  I looked in lilo.conf and saw that it was trying to load  the
2.2.16-3 version of the
kernal.  I looked and found that my kernal is version 2.2.17-14.  I
edited that line in the lilo.conf
file to look for the right kernal.  When I ran lilo I got the message:

Added linux-2.2.17-14
Device 0x2100: Invalid partition table, 2nd entry
3d address: 1/0/3  (3024)
Linear address: 1/13/47  (48195)

I did run fdisk  /dev/hde    and  it reported
four partitions:

hde1   ( linux )
hde2  ( fat 32 )
hde3  ( linux swap )
hde4  ( linux )

and also reported that each partition hdei  ( i = 1, 2, 3, 4 )
did not end on a cylinder and gave the ending address and where it
should end.

My question is:  What can I do to fix this probelm?  Thanks for any help
I might
receive.

==============231FBD518FD2909FA5A319B7

Hello all,
been fine.&nbsp; I noticed
to restart the printer daemon
the system and failed messeages
to load&nbsp; the 2.2.16-3 version of the
I edited that line in the lilo.conf
the message:
)</i>
should end.
for any help I&nbsp;might

==============231FBD518FD2909FA5A319B7==

------------------------------

From: Jens =?iso-8859-1?Q?K=F6hler?= <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x
Subject: How to record the screen ?
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2001 20:06:30 +0100

Hi,

for making a screen presentation to introduce a new webpage, I would
like to record the screen so that I will be able to simply start the
movie for showing the details. I did not find any program for handling
this, so the question is if there is any program which can do this ??

Thank you for help.

Jens K=F6hler

From: nordine vandezande <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Remote Admin
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2001 19:25:07 GMT

On Tue, 06 Mar 2001 14:25:19 +0100, "Roland Zumkeller" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > machine, you can either run an X _server_ under Windows or you can run
>
> You're right. Of course the X server runs under windows, not the client.
>
> Just to make things clear for anyone:
> X server: runs on the machine that physically has screen, keyboard etc.
> X client: the program that connects to the X server in order to display
> itself
>
> Btw, are there any X *clients* for windows, that make win-apps appear
> under X?
>
> - Roland

VNC can also do this.

Nordine

   Nordine Vandezande
   Project Manager

   Zimbra
   Voetpad 21A - 3550 Heusden-Zolder
   Belgium

   phone:  +32 (0) 11 531474
   fax:    +32 (0) 11 531475
   mobile: +32 (0)477 531476
   email:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]

From: Andrew Higgs <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How to compile a static "ls" ?
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2001 22:03:01 +0200

Bill Delphenich wrote:

> I need to compile "ls" without any dynamic links to be used on my FTP
> site. I downloaded the source code for "fileutils" from the GNU site and
> compiled it, but the "ls" I ended up with has links all over the place.
>
> I don't know much compiling from source, but I didn't see any
> instructions on getting a statically linked "ls" out of it.
>
> What am I missing? Is there an argument I can give to ./configure to
> tell it give me no dynamic links? Any suggestions? Any HOW-TO I am
> missing?
>
> Thanks for any assistance.

Try   something like 'make LDFLAGS=static'.

Kind regards
Andrew  Higgs

------------------------------

From: nordine vandezande <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2001 19:29:10 GMT

Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2001 20:34:06 +0100
From: "Gerard H. Pille" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Is there a way to do this?  vitual file = pipe to command

Lee Allen wrote:

> On Wed, 07 Mar 2001 17:21:15 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Lew Pitcher)
> wrote:
>
> >On Wed, 07 Mar 2001 17:11:05 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Lee Allen) wrote:
> >
> >>This is one of those things that I figure Linux must be able to do,
> >>but if so, I don't know about it, and I don't know where to look.
> >>
> >>I want to create a file that is not really a file, but is a pipe to a
> >>command.  Specifically, something like this:
> >>
> >>/tmp/printfile = | lpr
> >>
> >>so anything sent to /tmp/printfile is spooled to my printer.
> >>
> >>Is there a way to do this?
> >
> >You can
> >a) define a file called /tmp/printfile
> >b) start up a daemon process that reads from /tmp/printfile
> >   (i.e. nohup lpr </tmp/printfile &)
> >
> >To reduce the storage requirements to a bare minimum, /tmp/printfile
> >should be a named pipe (mkfifo)
>
> Wow.  That's really simple.
>
> How would lpr know when the user/process is done writing to the file
> and it can release the spool file for printing?
>
> -Lee Allen

It will read an end of file and act accordingly.
--

Gerard H. Pille

------------------------------

From: "Secret Sauce" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux 6.0 install on laptop
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2001 15:41:15 -0400

Check out:

http://www.linux-laptop.net/

And look up your model for tips.

-SS

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: Barry Margolin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.unix.programmer,comp.os.linux.networking,alt.os.linux,comp.dcom.net-management,alt.os.linux.mandrake
Subject: Re: How to close OPENED unused sockets?
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2001 19:46:09 GMT

In article <3aa5f005$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Rick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Hi all,
>After running this program netspec (used for traffic generation), it doesn't
>close the sockets used.
>
>After exec comd:  #netstat -a | more
>i can see that the connections are still ESTABLISHED.
>
>Is there a way to manually close the sockets?

When a process terminates, all its file and socket descriptors are
automatically closed by the OS.  The only way netspec could be leaving
connections in ESTABLISHED state is if it forks background processes and
leaves them running when it's done.  You should use ps to find those
processes and kill them.

--
Barry Margolin, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Genuity, Burlington, MA

From: Wine Development <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,alt.os.linux.suse,uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: Triple Booting?
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2001 19:04:50 +0000

Eric wrote:

> No, you should stay under 1024 cylinders.
> Newer LILO's (v21.4.3 and above) can use extended int13 calls,
> so if your BIOS supports these, even this limit is gone.

The same can be said of GRUB, which also removes the need to
re-install the bootloader if you have made a kernel change.

--
Keith Matthews                  Spam trap - my real account at this
                                                        node is keith_m

Frequentous Consultants  - Linux Services,
                Oracle development & database administration

------------------------------

From: "David Murray" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Trying to use automated MP3 for store intercom
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2001 04:42:15 -0600

Maybe somebody can help me out here.  I work at an electronics store and I'm
are trying to set up a computer to take the place of the intercom's radio.
So that way we can play a harddrive full of MP3 music and stick in little
commercials and announcements about our own store in there too.  We want to
use Linux for this for a variety of reasons, and I have it all figured out
except for one thing..  We want to have certain messages be automated at
certain times of the day.  For example, 15 minutes before the store closes
we want to announce a message that the store is closing.  I need to be able
to set this somehow to be automated.  I know I could use something like
MPG123 and setup a cron job or something.. but then how would I also work
that in with a playlist or random selection throughout the rest of the day?
Any ideas?
--DavidM

From: Toby Haynes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.x,de.comp.os.linux,de.comp.os.linux.hardware,de.comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: XFree86 4.0.2 Troubles!!!
Date: 07 Mar 2001 14:56:11 -0500

On Wed, 07 Mar 2001, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Well, I think, I have found the problem. And it seems to be related to
> the SuSE 7.1 X-Configuration tool SaX or the gfx-driver itself.
>
> (==) GLINT(0): Min pixel clock is 16 MHz
> (--) GLINT(0): Max pixel clock is 110 MHz
[snip]
> (**) GLINT(0): Mode "1280x1024": 102.2 MHz, 58.9 kHz, 55.0 Hz
>
> I definitly know, that my max. pixel clock is 150Mhz, NOT 110MHz. With
> the old SaX belonging to XF336, I was able to change the clock
> manually and all was fine for me. In SaX2 (XF402) I couldn't find
> where to do so.

It's not obvious ...!

> I just wonder that the XF402-cfg tells me I have a
>   BoardName     "Winner2000Office"
> but I have a "ELSA GLoria Synergy 8MB" (the upper L is no typo! ;-)

I think this is merely a nicety rather than a requirement. But you could
change it to read GLoria Synergy if you like.

> Well, I am a novice in configuring XF. Is there another cfg-program to
> setup the XF-config? I also tried XF86config, but well, there I have
> the same problem.  Maybe I just use the wrong tool. Unfortunately I am
> not that keen on the cfg to "tune" it myself...

There are other tools - I personally do the initial configuration with
xf86cfg and then tidy up any errors by hand.

> Attached you will find the log, the old XF336 cfg & the new XF402
> cfg. Maybe you can tell me, where I can adjust the clock-speed
> manually...

Try this - this manually sets the memory clock and might be the right
thing to tweak. There isn't any other obvious Clock tweak... but be
warned - this may hang your machine, so make sure that you can boot to
runlevel 3 if you have to reboot. The other two options below are
safer. (Just in case you don't know, to boot to runlevel 3 you would
type 'linux 3' at the LILO prompt - this is the text-only startup).

Section "Device"
  Identifier    "Device[0]"
  VendorName    "Elsa"
  Driver        "glint"
  BoardName     "Winner2000Office"
  BusID         "1:0:0"
  Option        "SetMClk" "150"
EndSection

One other possibility is to force the chipset detection rather than
letting it probe for it. This would look like

Section "Device"
  Identifier    "Device[0]"
  VendorName    "Elsa"
  Driver        "glint"
  BoardName     "Winner2000Office"
  ChipSet       "pm2"
  BusID         "1:0:0"
EndSection

or possibly the 'pm2v' chipset instead of the 'pm2' if this doesn't do
it.

The order of the Section "Device" doesn't matter, but it's easier to
read in this order :-)

Cheers,
Toby Haynes

--

Toby Haynes
The views and opinions expressed in this message are my own, and do

------------------------------

From: Ian Douglas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.admin
Subject: Re: Dell 120T DLT-4000 Autoloader- Arkeia any good?
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2001 07:17:38 +1100

I am currently trying out Arkeia with a HP 818 8-slot DLT autoloader
(yet to get it working properly) but I want to know if this is a general
consensus to the program. How reliable have people found it?

------------------------------

From: Julian So <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Superblock could not be read ...
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2001 20:20:45 GMT

Hello,

Something Bad seems to have happend to my RH Linux box's filesystem.
This SAMBA fileserver locked up twice today, both during intense spurts
of network access. The first time, I managed to hard reboot fine. I
fsck'd all the partitions, checked the logs and everything was fine
(although since it was being run headless, some console messages might
have not been logged). The second time, the hard reboot gave me a box
that complained thusly:

[...]
Checking root filesystem
WARNING: Your /etc/fstab does not contain the fsck passno field. I will
kludge around things for you, but you should fix your /etc/fstab file as
soon as you can.

(null):
filesystem. If the device is valid and it really does contain an ext2
is corrupt, and you might try runing e2fsck with an alternate
superblock: e2fsck -b 8193 <device>

fsck.ext2: Is a directory while trying to open /

[failed]

*** An error occurred during the file system check.
*** Dropping you to a shell; the system will reboot
*** when you leave the shell

[ root login ]

(Repair filesystem) #
[...]

I fsck'd all the partitions and rebooted. No joy; I get the same
message. I e2fsck -b (8193*n)-n and finally managed to get it to work
with e2fsck -b 32768. However, I still get the same error message at
reboot. I haven't been able to look at /etc/fstab at all. In fact,
during the reboot sequence, the system complains about not being able to
either read or write a mtab and fstab (can't tell, these scroll by too
quickly).

A similar (but not identical) incident had happened to me before with
this same box during the first week it was running. Since it was a
non-production box at that time, I simply started over after fsck /
e2fsck were unsuccesful. I seem to recall receiving some suggestions
after posting to USENET at that time, but my archives of these emails
seem to be missing.

So, what are my options at this point? Are there any things that I can
try that I may have missed? Or is the system unrecoverable?

Julian

fdisk -l reveals

Disk /dev/hde: 16 heads, 63 sectors, 58168 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 1008 *512 bytes
[both physical drives have this spec]

   Device  Boot  Start     End   Blocks   Id  System
/dev/hde1   *        1     163    82120+  83  Linux
/dev/hde2          164   58168 29234520    5  Extended
/dev/hde5          164   10322  5120104+  83  Linux
/dev/hde6        10323   14386  2048224+  83  Linux
/dev/hde7        14387   16418  1024096+  83  Linux
/dev/hde8        16419   16672   127984   82  Linux Swap
/dev/hde9        16673   58168 20913492+  83  Linux

/dev/hdf1   *        1   58168 29316640+  83  Linux

I originally had partitioned my drives this way, so everything looks
more or less fine.

Mnt.Pt. Dev.    Req.    Actual  Type
/       hde1    80M     86M     Linux native
/usr    hde5    5000M   5000M   Linux native
/var    hde6    2000M   2000M   Linux native
/tmp    hde7    1000M   1000M   Linux native
<swap>  hde8    125M    125M    Linux swap
/home   hde9    1M      20423M  Linux native
/shared hdf1    1M      28629M  Linux native

------------------------------

From: "bmeson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Question: setup cable modem, Linux and Windows
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2001 15:45:26 -0500

Hi, I have a Linux and a Windows PC. I need to connect them together and to
the cable modem. I also want the outside world be able see my Linux machine
(I want to setup Linux as webserver, ftp and telnet, etc.) I'm thinking
buying a hub for this task.

So what is the proper connection? is it

cable modem --- Linux --- Hub --- Windows

or

cable modem --- Hub --- Linux

                            ------ Windows

Or should I use something other than hub?

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: Statistic data analysis - Linux/PHP/mySQL
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2001 19:37:21 GMT

Hi,

  I have to build a web page with a questionnaire. People will respond
to some questions, then send the results back to me. We already have
decided on the PHP4/mySQL/Apache alternative, running on a Linux system
(RedHat 6.2). What I'm looking for a an application, running on Linux,
which could do data analysis.

  What I mean is, the system should be able send the responses of the
user to an application, running on the server, which would do some
medium to advanced statistic analysis on the data, and then send some
results back to the user, and store them in the DB too. So, I'm looking
for suggestions on how to do this? Is there any Linux application
available (free or not) that could automatically get data from a mySQL
DB, or any other data source which I could produce using PHP/mySQL, and
then do a series of computation, returning the results in my DB or in
some other way...?

  Looks complicated, and I'm open to every suggestions! :)

  Thank you,

    Guillaume.Boudreau

--
Sent  by gboudrea from hotmail  part of com

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Grant Edwards)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Re: Question: setup cable modem, Linux and Windows
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2001 20:53:54 GMT

In article <9866ar$lo0$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, bmeson wrote:
>Hi, I have a Linux and a Windows PC. I need to connect them together and to
>the cable modem. I also want the outside world be able see my Linux machine
>(I want to setup Linux as webserver, ftp and telnet, etc.) I'm thinking
>buying a hub for this task.
>
>So what is the proper connection? is it
>
>cable modem --- Linux --- Hub --- Windows
>
>or
>
>cable modem --- Hub --- Linux
>                            ------ Windows
>
>Or should I use something other than hub?

Or
                  ________ Linux
   cable         |
   modem ------ Hub
                 |________ Windows

I assume the cable modem has NAT/firewall funcitonality...

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  I'm protected by
                                  at               a ROLL-ON I rented from

------------------------------

From: Markku Kolkka <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Starting a GUI on Turbolinux
Date: 07 Mar 2001 22:46:41 +0200

"Alan Fleming" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> I've actually tried both your suggestions (ie startx and xf86config) but all
> I get in response is a file not found error.

Apparently you didn't install XFree86 and the other GUI components.
Some distributions don't install GUI if you choose server installation.

> What is SMP btw?

Symmetric MultiProcessing. It's for machines with multiple CPUs.

--
        Markku Kolkka

From: Markku Kolkka <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.hardware
Date: 07 Mar 2001 22:53:34 +0200

"bmeson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> So what is the proper connection? is it
>
> cable modem --- Linux --- Hub --- Windows

Yes, this is the right one.

--
        Markku Kolkka

From: Jeremiah DeWitt Weiner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Performance SMTP Server
Date: 7 Mar 2001 21:08:33 GMT

Mr. Clark <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Can anyone give me some advice on how to build a high performance SMTP
> server under Linux?  I know there are several packages available.  We have
> to do some very large mass mailings (not Spam so don't worry!), and I'm
> wondering if a Linux box might provide a solution (I'm trying to find any
> excuse to get Linux running around here).  What kind of throughput can I expect (ie.
>emails/hour).

        Other people have mentioned qmail and postfix; I hear that Exim can
also handle high volumes pretty well.  To some degree this is going to be a
lot like building any other high-performance server.  Sending and receiving
email is not particularly CPU-intensive, so you can go a little lighter there,
but you'll want fast network pipes, a fast bus, fast drives, and a fair
amount of memory.  As one sender might not be able to saturate your pipe, you
could run several in parallel.  If you're really serious about performance,
get an SMP machine and devote some of the CPUs to sending mail.  You may
want to turn down or off logging on whatever MTA you use, as disk activity is
expensive, performance-wise.  Have as little else as possible running on the
system.  All very standard advice...

        As for "how many emails per hour" - that question is impossible to
answer in a general sense.  Are you emailing the encyclopedia or just a two-
line message?  Are you sending them all the same message, or different
messages?  Are the recipients all on the same host, or on different hosts?
How fast is your network connection?  How fast are the recipients' network
connections?  Are they close to you (network topology-wise) or far away?
http://www.exim.org/FAQ.html#SEC157 says that some users have reported
108,000 messages per hour for brief periods, and 10,000+ for longer periods,
but I have no idea how representative those numbers are.

JDW