Linux-Misc Digest #308, Volume #27                Wed, 7 Mar 01 18:13:02 EST

Contents:
  Re: Is there a way to do this?  vitual file = pipe to command (Lee Allen)
  Re: Question: setup cable modem, Linux and Windows (Greg Yantz)
  Re: Basic Information ("Jean-Pierre Audet")
  Re: Starting a GUI on Turbolinux ("Harold F. Bower")
  Re: Help:  Linux 6.0 install on laptop (David Griffith)
  Re: Superblock could not be read ... (Julian So)
  Re: Superblock could not be read ... (Julian So)
  Re: Question: setup cable modem, Linux and Windows ("bmeson")
  Re: mount iso read / write [redhat 7.0] (Matthew J Zukowski)
  Re: Latex -> PDF (Joshua Baker-LePain)
  Netscape on Linux ("bmeson")
  Re: I've downloaded the ISO file.  Now what do I do with it?  I've  (Dean Thompson)
  Re: missing C headers for networking (Drew Roedersheimer)
  Problems with tar tape backups (Martin Pelikan)
  Re: Problems with tar tape backups (Lee Allen)
  Re: Netscape on Linux (Robert Jones)
  Re: log manager (Jean-David Beyer)
  Re: How to compile a static "ls" ? ("Chris Coyle")
  Re: Netscape on Linux (Jean-David Beyer)
  Re: Question: setup cable modem, Linux and Windows (Mark Bratcher)
  Re: Netscape on Linux (John)
  Re: purpose of port 53 "domain port" ("D. Stimits")
  Re: NFS : Linux with AIX... (maris malic)
  Re: Linux as terminal emulator. (Arthur Marsh)
  Re: Netscape on Linux (Hal Burgiss)
  Re: Linux as terminal emulator. (Frank da Cruz)
  Re: I've downloaded the ISO file.  Now what do I do with it?  I've  burned a CD and
it won't boot with it. ("Steve Doney")

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Lee Allen)
Subject: Re: Is there a way to do this?  vitual file = pipe to command
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2001 21:13:31 GMT

T H A N K S  ! ! !

On Wed, 07 Mar 2001 20:34:06 +0100, "Gerard H. Pille" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>Lee Allen wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, 07 Mar 2001 17:21:15 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Lew Pitcher)
>> wrote:

>> >You can
>> >a) define a file called /tmp/printfile
>> >b) start up a daemon process that reads from /tmp/printfile
>> >   (i.e. nohup lpr </tmp/printfile &)
>> >
>> >To reduce the storage requirements to a bare minimum, /tmp/printfile
>> >should be a named pipe (mkfifo)
>>
>> Wow.  That's really simple.
>>
>> How would lpr know when the user/process is done writing to the file
>> and it can release the spool file for printing?
>>
>> -Lee Allen
>
>It will read an end of file and act accordingly.
>--
>
>Gerard H. Pille

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Re: Question: setup cable modem, Linux and Windows
From: Greg Yantz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 07 Mar 2001 16:15:04 -0500

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Grant Edwards) writes:

> In article <9866ar$lo0$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, bmeson wrote:
> >Hi, I have a Linux and a Windows PC. I need to connect them together and to
> >the cable modem. I also want the outside world be able see my Linux machine
> >(I want to setup Linux as webserver, ftp and telnet, etc.) I'm thinking
> >buying a hub for this task.

> >So what is the proper connection? is it

> >cable modem --- Linux --- Hub --- Windows

> >or

> >cable modem --- Hub --- Linux

> >Or should I use something other than hub?

> Or
>                   ________ Linux
>    cable         |
>    modem ------ Hub
>                  |________ Windows

> I assume the cable modem has NAT/firewall funcitonality...

Indeed. If it doesn't (many don't, mine certainly doesn't) you
might want something like:

                                   ----- box (Linux)

    cable ------ Linux[1] ------ Hub --- box (Win)
    modem                         |
                                   ----- box (Win)

[1] - NAT + firewall of some kind (doesn't have to be Linux, could be
      *BSD); hardware requirements are minimal

-Greg

------------------------------

From: "Jean-Pierre Audet" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Basic Information
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2001 16:16:54 -0500

http://www.linux.org/info/index.html
FHnp6.34785$[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2001 16:29:00 +0000
From: "Harold F. Bower" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Starting a GUI on Turbolinux

Alan Fleming wrote:

> I've actually tried both your suggestions (ie startx and xf86config) but all
> I get in response is a file not found error.  Here's what I can definitely
> do:
> 1. I can ping my dhcp server, and all other local PC's.
> 2. I can run FTP
> 3. I can browse the main folders (took me 30 mins to figure this one out.  I
> already knew the ls command from ftp)
>
> That's it.
> Whenever I type a program name, it says: Bash: file not found or something.
> While installing, I didn't get the option to choose my vdu, video card or
> mouse.  All I got was the lan/scsi stuff, and a choice on what kernel to
> install (ie i386 kernel, i586, i686 or i386 SMP, i586 SMP.....)

Which version of TurboLinux are you using?  If you installed using one
of the predefined packages such as 'basic system', you did not drag in
XFree86 and that is why you did not get any of the GUI.  If you have
enough disk space, try 'Everything', or skip to 'Custom' if you think
you are familiar enough with the various packages.  With 'Everything',
you get both KDE and Gnome either of which you can de-install later with
the 'turbopkg' tool.  With the basic system (which I think you have
now), you can also bring up 'turbopkg' and add in the X stuff.

Hal
(Happy TLW 6 user)

------------------------------

From: David Griffith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Help:  Linux 6.0 install on laptop
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2001 21:44:49 +0000

Robert wrote:

> I purchased a copy of "Red Hat Linux 6.0 - Unleashed" and have been
> unable to install this O/S on my laptop even though I've successfully
> installed  it on my desktop.  I've followed all of the possible
> installation instructions from the book.  Part of the problem is that
> I have to use a swappable CD and Floppy drive on my laptop and cannot
> use both simultaneously.  The instructions in the book indicate that I
> can install directly from the CD using the 'linux ks' or 'expert'
> commands.  Neither of these worked for me.
>
> My system information is:
> Current O/S - Win 98
> Intel celeron processor
> 128mb ram
> 1gb partition set up for Linux
>
> I would appreciate any and all assistance/advice.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Robert Kendall

Do you have a network card or can beg/borrow from someone?
If you can network it to your desktop, and setup NFS, then the pcmcia.img
disk image should let
you install over the network cable.

------------------------------

From: Julian So <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Superblock could not be read ...
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2001 21:47:34 GMT

> I fsck'd all the partitions and rebooted. No joy; I get the same
> message. I e2fsck -b (8193*n)-n and finally managed to get it to work
> with e2fsck -b 32768. However, I still get the same error message at

Ehm, that should be 8192*n+1 and 32769.

From: Julian So <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2001 21:47:51 GMT

From: "bmeson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.hardware
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2001 16:55:30 -0500

Erh.. Does the Linux[1] box down there need 4 NIC then? one to cable modem,
one to hub and other two for two boxes.

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: Matthew J Zukowski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: mount iso read / write [redhat 7.0]
Date: 7 Mar 2001 21:34:41 GMT

Is there possibly a 3rd party utility which handles his.  Under the mac
there is a product called, "Toast" which does handle this feature,
permiting the editing of ISO 9660 files.   Not impossible, but difficult
I'd imagine.

The object of my request for info is to keep the bootstrap while
adding/changing files.

Eric <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
:> I wish to mount an existing ISO from a cd in readwrite mode.

: You can't

:> cat /dev/cdrom > test.iso (works)
:> mount -t iso9660 -o loop test.iso /dev/iso (works)
:> mount -t iso9660 -o loop=/dev/loop0,rw /dev/iso (mounts read, but not
: write)
:> mount test.iso /mount/iso -o loop,rw (same issue)
:>
:> when I try to mkdir
:> "mkdir: cannot create directory `/mnt/iso/test': Read-only file system

: iso9660 FS is fixed once created.

:> Running redhat 7.0 with the helixgnome add-on.
:>
:> Object.  Need to create a NT workstation 4.0 CD, replacing the existing
:> atapi.sys with an updated version so it doesn't crash when you try to
:> install NT, while keeping the backup bootable.  Most honorable actually.
:>
:> What am I doing wrong?

: You try the impossible.
: The correct approach would be to make a new iso9660 FS with the replaced
: file

: check out mkisofs

: Eric

------------------------------

From: Joshua Baker-LePain <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Latex -> PDF
Date: 7 Mar 2001 21:58:22 GMT

salazar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I saw an article (http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/543e.htm) that talks
> about the insertion of fonts of type 3 (bitmapped fonts) and not the
> independent ones of type 1. I try to make what they said to do but I
> couldn't solve the problem.

dvips -Ppdf file.dvi -o

That will generate a PostScript file with the fonts embedded.  Then:

ps2pdf file.ps

And file.pdf will look beautiful.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering

------------------------------

From: "bmeson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Netscape on Linux
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2001 17:07:41 -0500

Hi, I'm using Redhat 6.2 with 1028x768 resolution monitor. I found the
character display in netscape is rather crude and ugly. And I tried various
font setting in vain. The IE and Netscape in the Windows dual system on the
same machine are fine.

Does anyone here have same problem? Any suggestion?

From: Dean Thompson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.networking,uk.comp.os.linux,alt.os.linux.suse,linux.redhat
Subject: Re: I've downloaded the ISO file.  Now what do I do with it?  I've
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2001 09:04:44 +1100

Hi Martin,

> please can you help me?
>
> I've downloaded the SuSE EVal 7_0 ISO file.  Now what do I do with it?
> I've burned a CD and it won't boot with it.  Do I need to unzip it or
> something?

The real question is how did you burn it onto the CD.  Did you just take the
file and add it to a CD like you would normally burn a CD or did you actually
take the image file and use a product like WinGear, Nero or some other program
and actually specified that you had a image file to burn from, rather than
just placing the file on the CD ?

See ya

Dean Thompson

| Dean Thompson              | E-mail  - [EMAIL PROTECTED] |
| Bach. Computing (Hons)     | ICQ     - 45191180                         |
| PhD Student                | Office  - <Off-Campus>                     |
| School Comp.Sci & Soft.Eng | Phone   - +61 3 9903 2787 (Gen. Office)    |
| MONASH (Caulfield Campus)  | Fax     - +61 3 9903 1077                  |
| Melbourne, Australia       |                                            |

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Drew Roedersheimer)
Subject: Re: missing C headers for networking
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2001 22:04:56 GMT

On Wed, 7 Mar 2001 15:29:23 +0100, Nils O. Selåsdal wrote:

>"Sven Heinecke" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:983ni5$h6g$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> Trying to compile a program this is what gcc gives me:
>>
>> net/nit_if.h: No such file or directory
>> net/nit_buf.h: No such file or directory
>> netinet/ip_var.h: No such file or directory
>> netinet/udp_var.h: No such file or directory
>>
>> I'm new to C. So where can I get these headers? Are they included in
>> a rpm package that comes with my distro (MD 7.2) ?
>
>the kernel-headers probably.

Not that this will help much, but it may save you some time.  I have all
the kernel headers installed on my system, and these files are nowhere to be
found.

best of luck
-DR

--
Build a system that even a fool can use and only a fool will want to use it.

------------------------------

From: Martin Pelikan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Problems with tar tape backups
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2001 16:07:54 -0600

Hi,

I am trying to make backups of our home directory, and I have tried it a number
of times by simply running

mt -f /dev/st0 rewind
tar -cvpf /dev/st0 --label=" tape1 (home1,extra3) backup created on `date
'+%d-%B-%Y'`." /home

The problem is that at some point, the backup crashes with a message:

tar: Cannot write to /dev/st0: Input/output error

It crashes at different files almost every time (sometimes close to the
beginning sometimes almost at the end) and sometimes it succeeds (but very
rarely, just once in fact).

The home is about 5 gigs big. Should I try to make changes in some other options
of tar like block size or anything else to get this to work? What may be the
problem? Can it be a problem when the particular file that is being written to
the tape is modified as it is being written or anything like that? Thanks for
your help!

Martin

 Martin Pelikan
 Illinois Genetic Algorithms Laboratory
 University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign
 117 Transportation Building
 104 S. Mathews Avenue, Urbana, IL 61801
 tel: (217) 333-2346, fax: (217) 244-5705

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Lee Allen)
Subject: Re: Problems with tar tape backups
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2001 22:12:47 GMT

Take a look at your syslog and see if there are hardware errors during
the backup.

From: Robert Jones <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: Netscape on Linux
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2001 16:16:02 -0600

bmeson wrote:

> Hi, I'm using Redhat 6.2 with 1028x768 resolution monitor. I found the
> character display in netscape is rather crude and ugly. And I tried various
> font setting in vain. The IE and Netscape in the Windows dual system on the
> same machine are fine.
>
> Does anyone here have same problem? Any suggestion?
>
> Thanks.

Check out http://www.kegel.com/linux/tt.html for Redhat-specific step-by-step
instructions.

--
Unless you love someone, nothing else makes any sense.
                -- e.e. cummings

  4:09pm  up 9 days,  8:39,  1 user,  load average: 0.16, 0.15, 0.08

------------------------------

From: Jean-David Beyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: log manager
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2001 17:25:31 -0500

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Does anyone know how to change the default log manager?

Easy. I imagine it is written in C, so just get the source and make
the changes you need. Its name is logrotate.

--
 .~.  Jean-David Beyer           Registered Linux User 85642.
 /V\                             Registered Machine    73926.

------------------------------

From: "Chris Coyle" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How to compile a static "ls" ?
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2001 17:27:13 -0500

"Andrew Higgs" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Bill Delphenich wrote:
>
> > I need to compile "ls" without any dynamic links to be used on my FTP
> > site. I downloaded the source code for "fileutils" from the GNU site and
> > compiled it, but the "ls" I ended up with has links all over the place.
> >
> > I don't know much compiling from source, but I didn't see any
> > instructions on getting a statically linked "ls" out of it.
> >
> > What am I missing? Is there an argument I can give to ./configure to
> > tell it give me no dynamic links? Any suggestions? Any HOW-TO I am
> > missing?
> >
> > Thanks for any assistance.
>
> Try   something like 'make LDFLAGS=static'.
>
> Kind regards
> Andrew  Higgs

Yeah, try looking in your Makefile, eg.

    grep -i static Makefile

------------------------------

From: Jean-David Beyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2001 17:30:14 -0500

bmeson wrote:

> Hi, I'm using Redhat 6.2 with 1028x768 resolution monitor. I found the
> character display in netscape is rather crude and ugly. And I tried various
> font setting in vain. The IE and Netscape in the Windows dual system on the
> same machine are fine.
>
> Does anyone here have same problem? Any suggestion?
>
> Thanks.

I use
Helvetica (Adobe) 14 point for variable width font and
Courier (Adobe) 14 point for fixed width font.
I also tell Netscape to use my default fonts, overriding
document-specified fonts. This is adequate, though not wonderful.

--
 .~.  Jean-David Beyer           Registered Linux User 85642.
 /V\                             Registered Machine    73926.
/( )\ Shrewsbury, New Jersey     http://counter.li.org
^^-^^ 5:25pm up 5 days, 30 min, 3 users, load average: 2.09, 2.12,
2.05

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mark Bratcher)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.hardware
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2001 22:34:22 GMT

>>cable modem --- Linux --- Hub --- Windows

This is the right one if you set up firewall capability on the Linux
box. The cable modem probably has no firewall capability. This requires
two NICs in the Linux box.

If you don't want to make the Linux box a firewall, then you could
do this:

cable modem ---- FW Box --- Hub --- Windows

                             *----- Linux

Where "FW Box" could be an off-the-shelf firewall/router ($99).
They're generally easy to configure. Or use a spare 486 with
Linux on it configured for firewall/routing.

I highly recommend having a firewall somewhere if you don't
want to get hacked easily.

--
Mark Bratcher
To reply direct, remove both underscores (_) from my email name

------------------------------

From: John <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2001 22:46:08 GMT

bmeson wrote:

> Hi, I'm using Redhat 6.2 with 1028x768 resolution monitor. I found the
> character display in netscape is rather crude and ugly. And I tried
> various font setting in vain. The IE and Netscape in the Windows dual
> system on the same machine are fine.
>

> Does anyone here have same problem? Any suggestion?
>
> Thanks.

Well last time I ran stock RH 6.2 it came with XFree86 3.3.6 or something
like that. What you need to do is to install a program called xfstt. It is
a truetype font rendering server for X. It makes fonts look as beautiful as
fonts in windoze or MacOS.

Try finding a tarball or .rpm on freshmeat.net and follow the instructions
there, its not hard. I've done it a lot of times because I really hate
those non-scalable "fonts" that come with X.

Also. You must have some ttf fonts available to the system. If you have a
windoze box try searching in \windows\fonts (correct ?)

/john

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2001 15:44:17 -0700
From: "D. Stimits" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: purpose of port 53 "domain port"

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> What is the purpose of port 53 the "domain port"?  I'm trying to close up
> ports that have to need ot exposed to the internet and I'm not sure about
> this one.  I am running a name server is this vital for that?  If not what
> port does a dns server use?  Thanks.

FYI, a lot of bind exploits seem to be published lately. You might be
careful to get the latest version of this before letting it on the
Internet.

------------------------------

From: maris malic <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: NFS : Linux with AIX...
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2001 06:57:35 -0500

Andreas Schweitzer wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, jeffrey wrote:
> >I have setup Linux NFS  Server  and one of my clients is a box running AIX .The
>
> AIX and Linux don't like each other in secure mode.
> Add 'insecure' to the options in the exports file on your Linux
> box and try again.
>
> Andreas
>
> --
>                        Andreas Schweitzer
>              http://dilbert.physast.uga.edu/~andy/
>         This post is brought to you by VIM, slrn and FreeBSD

yeup...that's exactly what i've found out as well...you've got to go "insecure" on
the aix box (i set it with smitty)

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2001 09:28:19 +1030
From: Arthur Marsh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.protocols.kermit.misc
Subject: Re: Linux as terminal emulator.

Hi Frank, I'm a little puzzled as to why the carriage return character
is said to be ASCII 15 in both formats of the paper. Isn't the carriage
return ASCII 13 (unless one is using octal representation)?

Regards,

Arthur.

--
Arthur Marsh, Network Support Officer, Information Technology Services
The University of Adelaide SA 5005 Australia

http://online.adelaide.edu.au/doclib.nsf/Refs/Official_Email_Disclaimer
and contains information which may be confidential and/or
copyright. If you are not the intended recipient please
do not read, save, forward, disclose, or copy the contents
of this email. If this email has been sent to you in
please notify the sender by reply email and delete this
email and any copies or links to this email immediately
from your system. No representation is made that this email
is free of viruses. Virus scanning is recommended and is
the responsibility of the recipient.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Hal Burgiss)
Date: 7 Mar 2001 17:59:29 -0500

On Wed, 07 Mar 2001 22:46:08 GMT, John <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Well last time I ran stock RH 6.2 it came with XFree86 3.3.6 or
>something like that. What you need to do is to install a program called
>xfstt. It is a truetype font rendering server for X. It makes fonts
>look as beautiful as fonts in windoze or MacOS.

RH6.x comes with xfs already installed, which pretty much does the same
thing.

--
Hal B

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Frank da Cruz)
Crossposted-To: comp.protocols.kermit.misc
Date: 7 Mar 2001 23:00:45 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Arthur Marsh  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: Hi Frank, I'm a little puzzled as to why the carriage return character
: is said to be ASCII 15 in both formats of the paper. Isn't the carriage
: return ASCII 13 (unless one is using octal representation)?
:
It was a long time ago -- everybody spoke octal in those days :-)

- Frank

------------------------------

From: "Steve Doney" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.networking,uk.comp.os.linux,alt.os.linux.suse,linux.redhat
Subject: Re: I've downloaded the ISO file.  Now what do I do with it?  I've  burned a
CD and it won't boot with it.
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2001 23:08:27 -0000

> John
> --
> John Winters.  Wallingford, Oxon, England.
>
> The Linux Emporium - the source for Linux CDs in the UK
> See http://www.linuxemporium.co.uk/

Any relation to the John Walters mentioned in one of the PC mags :-)

You're luck they didn't call you Julie Walters.

Steve