Linux-Misc Digest #312, Volume #27                Thu, 8 Mar 01 09:13:01 EST

Contents:
  Re: Switching To Linux From Windows (John Thompson)
  Re: booting problem ("Eric")
  Re: Hard Drive ("Eric")
  Re: Hard Drive (Neil Shaw)
  Re: Superblock could not be read ... ("Eric")
  Re: I've downloaded the ISO file.  Now what do I do with it?  I've  (James Knott)
  Re: I've downloaded the ISO file.  Now what do I do with it?  I've   (James Knott)
  Re: /dev/ ownership and permisions.  Change at logon times? (Mark)
  Re: How to make the computer CD-bootable ? ("Thom Lawrence")
  Re: small linux distro ("Marc Petzold")
  Re: Question: setup cable modem, Linux and Windows (A. J. Clark)
  Re: Question: setup cable modem, Linux and Windows (De Roeck Software)
  Re: Latex -> PDF ("salazar")
  Re: I've downloaded the ISO file.  Now what do I do with it?  I've   (Jim Howes)
  Re: Question: setup cable modem, Linux and Windows (Kevin Duckett)
  video editing ("cedric")
  boot up problem ("cedric")
  Re: /dev/ ownership and permisions.  Change at logon times? (Lowell Alleman)
  Re: 2 NICs on 1 machine. ("Brian")
  Re: What NG do I ask questions about apps? (Andrew Purugganan)
  Re: How to record the screen ? (Jeroen Belleman)
  Re: I've downloaded the ISO file.  Now what do I do with it?  I've burned a CD and
it won't boot with it. (Idle Hands)
  Help! VFAT filesystem - write permission problems. (Timothy Stark)
  How to read/write CD directly? (Timothy Stark)
  Re: /dev/ ownership and permisions.  Change at logon times? (Lack Mr G M)

From: John Thompson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Switching To Linux From Windows
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2001 21:25:41 -0600

Jean-David Beyer wrote:

> Stan McCann wrote:
> >
> > One of the things I like
> > about Linux over Win is less need to reboot.  I too, am fed up with Win
> > problems.  I wish that I could get some of my applications going on
> > Linux so I could say goodbye to windows.  For instance, I still use
> > Quicken on windows; I just haven't found anything suitable for Linux
> > yet?  Intuit!  Are you listening?

> Intuit never listens. They add features, but never remove bugs. Almost
> two years ago, they sent me a great offer for the Quicken 2000. I
> wrote them saying I would not be purchasing any new releases of
> Quicken until would run satisfactorally on Linux, not the half-hearted
> versions they seem to supply for MacIntoshes. They did reply, saying
> they would turn my suggestion over to engineering.

Many years ago, I bought a copy of Quicken v4 for Win3.1.  It ran
fine on my OS/2 system under Win-OS/2.  Over the years I have had
many offers from Intuit to "upgrade" my Quicken, but as the newer
versions required Win9x, I never bothered.  I too told Quicken I
would consider upgrading if they made a native version for OS/2,
and later for linux.  As you note, this has not happened.

However, my old copy of Quicken still works fine under Win-OS/2
on my other machine.  It does not run under Wine for some
reason.  It does run fine from Win98 in a linux VMware session so
if my OS/2 machine ever packs it in I'll still be able to balance
my checkbook and follow my investments.  Looking at the newer
versions of Quicken I get the feeling that the bulk of the
improvements are eye candy, smarmy "wizards," inane multimedia
"tutorials" and further opportunities to pay for on-line services
I don't really need. I guess I'll pass on the upgrade for now...
:-)

--

-John ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

------------------------------

From: "Eric" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: booting problem
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2001 11:31:33 +0100

> >Also, the system says that the file system on hda5 has bad blocks or
> >corrupted .
> >I can get to the shell using the root password for adminstration.
> >Do not know what to do from here.
>
> if you have nothing critical on the system go ahead and do a fresh
> install. u don't have to do an "uninstall". when you install (i'm assuming
> u are using a RH distro) choose to format the necessary partitions where
> your linux will reside. this shud get rid of the "bad blocks" problem.

Bit of overkill.

Just run `fsck /dev/hda5` from that shell, and reboot once you're done

Eric

------------------------------

From: "Eric" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,ar.linux,at.linux
Subject: Re: Hard Drive
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2001 11:35:05 +0100

> I have a Quantium Fireball on an ATA66 controller and Phatlinux 3.3.

Do you load a driver for the ATA66 controller?

> On boot Phatlinux detects my drives in this order:
> hdc: CD-ROM
> hdd: CD-RW
> hde: HDD
> Then hangs...
>
> I have tried changing the boot order in my BIOS, but that changes nothing.
> have disconnected my CD drives and it doesn't change where the hard drive
is
> placed.

Why would it change?
You didn't change its position, then linux won't change it's name

>  But I am new to linux and
> don't know anything really.

then start by reading.
Buy a book on linux, or visit one of the linux newbie pages.
I don't have a URL, but use www.google.com to find them

(And don't crosspost to so many (non-existing?) groups)

Eric

------------------------------

From: Neil Shaw <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: ak.os.linux,alt.comp.linux,alt.linux,ar.linux,at.linux
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2001 10:31:23 +0000

I may be wrong, but I think that you can only have your root partition
on either hda or hdb

I seem to remember having a similar problem with RH5.2 some time ago
when I tried to install on hdc, but their installer wouldn't let me put
the root partition on hdc

------------------------------

From: "Eric" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Superblock could not be read ...
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2001 11:49:39 +0100

> [...]
> Checking root filesystem
> WARNING: Your /etc/fstab does not contain the fsck passno field. I will
> kludge around things for you, but you should fix your /etc/fstab file as
> soon as you can.

Check it with a boot/root floppy combination, or use the linux CD you
installed from as a rescue system.

> (null):
> The superblock could not be read or does not describe a correct ext2
> filesystem. If the device is valid and it really does contain an ext2
> filesystem (and not swap or ufs or something else), then the superblock
> is corrupt, and you might try runing e2fsck with an alternate
> superblock: e2fsck -b 8193 <device>
>
> fsck.ext2: Is a directory while trying to open /
>
> [failed]
>
> *** An error occurred during the file system check.
> *** Dropping you to a shell; the system will reboot
> *** when you leave the shell
>
> [ root login ]
>
> (Repair filesystem) #
> [...]
>
> I fsck'd all the partitions and rebooted. No joy; I get the same
> message. I e2fsck -b (8193*n)-n and finally managed to get it to work
> with e2fsck -b 32768. However, I still get the same error message at
> reboot. I haven't been able to look at /etc/fstab at all. In fact,
> during the reboot sequence, the system complains about not being able to
> either read or write a mtab and fstab (can't tell, these scroll by too
> quickly).
>
> A similar (but not identical) incident had happened to me before with
> this same box during the first week it was running. Since it was a
> non-production box at that time, I simply started over after fsck /
> e2fsck were unsuccesful. I seem to recall receiving some suggestions
> after posting to USENET at that time, but my archives of these emails
> seem to be missing.
>
> So, what are my options at this point? Are there any things that I can
> try that I may have missed? Or is the system unrecoverable?

Not yet, but you wil need a separate rescue system, to check out
what is missing. This can be floppy's or a CD, but it cannot use the /
FS on your HDD.

Then mount / on your rescue system (as /mnt/hdd_root eg.) and check it for
errors.

If there are to much errors, a reinstallation may be the easiest way to go.
But you need to check it first to be sure.

> fdisk -l reveals
>
> Disk /dev/hde: 16 heads, 63 sectors, 58168 cylinders

Why is this so strange?
If you ever reinstall again, change these numbers to make sense.
(Heads=255, so you won't have such a ridiculous amount of cylinders)

> Units = cylinders of 1008 *512 bytes
> [both physical drives have this spec]

Change it in the BIOS, they are not physical representations anyway

>    Device  Boot  Start     End   Blocks   Id  System
> /dev/hde1   *        1     163    82120+  83  Linux
> /dev/hde2          164   58168 29234520    5  Extended

Wrong ID, but since you don't use windows here, you got lucky.
change the type to 0x85, it will not have any side-effects, except that it
will fix your table to a correct table.

Eric

------------------------------

From: James Knott <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,linux.redhat
Subject: Re: I've downloaded the ISO file.  Now what do I do with it?  I've
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2001 11:21:52 GMT

Your message would be easier to read, if you used proper
English.

--
Replies sent via e-mail to this address will be promptly
ignored.

------------------------------

From: James Knott <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.networking,uk.comp.os.linux,alt.os.linux.suse,linux.redhat
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2001 11:23:14 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> In the sacred domain of uk.comp.os.linux, Steve Doney <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> didnst
>hastily scribble thusly:
> >> John
> >> --
> >> John Winters.  Wallingford, Oxon, England.
> >>
> >> The Linux Emporium - the source for Linux CDs in the UK
> >> See http://www.linuxemporium.co.uk/
>
> > Any relation to the John Walters mentioned in one of the PC mags :-)
>
> > You're luck they didn't call you Julie Walters.
>
> why? He's called John WINTERS.

As in "Johnathan Winters".  ;-)

From: Mark <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: /dev/ ownership and permisions.  Change at logon times?
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2001 12:35:54 +0100

I dont think they are supposed to change..
The only thing changed at logon time are the ownership and permissions
on
the tty... I think,.. But I'm no expert in the subject...

If your problem is that you want to be able eg. play sound as some
regular user, I sugest that you make the user a member of the group
that owns the dev entry.

e.g. on my system /dev/dsp is owned my root & audio and my regular user
account is a member of the group audio.

I've done this for various other enties ( fd0, rtc, .. ) and it works
great..
Saves me a lot of su's..

Gr,
Mark

From: "Thom Lawrence" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How to make the computer CD-bootable ?
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2001 11:27:58 -0000

Arctic Storm said...

> I have a computer that's not CD bootable.
> I would like to install something from a CD, and the installation
would be
> much easier if the computer were CD bootable.
> Is there a way to boot from the CD, after booting from a Linux floppy,
DOS
> floppy, or something like that,...
> Yes, there's a way to install the software even if the computer is not
CD
> bootable, but that would be much more difficult and take more work.
> Thanks.

you can use a thing called 'smart boot manager' (just search for that on
the web, shouldn't be hard to find), or any boot manager that claims to
be able to boot from a cd. i have a toshiba laptop that can't boot off
cds, but SBM can sort of 'force' it. if you go on to install lilo in the
master boot record, you will of course lose the ability to boot cds. but
it shouldn't matter if you got that far. :)

--
thom lawrence

From: "Marc Petzold" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: small linux distro
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2001 11:57:25 +0100

Hello,

i dunno, but maybe you'd give Peanuts Linux a try?
It's all in a 50 Megs package with X and KDE 1.1.2...www.linuxiso.org

regards
mp

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: A. J. Clark <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Question: setup cable modem, Linux and Windows
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.hardware
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2001 12:18:14 GMT

It's amazing the difference a non-proportional font makes in such diagrams.

The diagram says,

cable modem into NIC on Linux router/firewall/NAT, Hub connected to another
NIC on Linux router/firewall/NAT, connect up whatever you like to the hub.

--
Does Humour Belong in Technology?
http://humour.bccs.net

(Remove -nospam-to email)

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2001 13:25:40 +0100
From: De Roeck Software <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.hardware

What about:

cablemodem -- Linux -(crossed cable)- Windows
saves you the purchase of a hub ;-)

Add some decent ipchains on your linux box you're all set.

regards,

nick.

------------------------------

From: "salazar" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Latex -> PDF
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2001 10:53:23 -0000

Well, I didn't try use the "-Ppdf" option but, I already find what was the
cause of my problem. The pdflatex or ps2pdf (with a dvips without the
option -Ppdf at least) will result always with a text with bad fonts. I
solved my problem when I change the package "\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}"
with this one "\usepackage[latin1]{inputenc}". I need one of this because I
must use some portuguese characters as "é ó" or "ç".

But I will try the -Ppdf option...

--
./salazar (pedro salazar)
---

------------------------------

From: Jim Howes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.networking,uk.comp.os.linux,alt.os.linux.suse,linux.redhat
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2001 12:27:48 +0000

John Winters wrote:

> >Something tells me that I need to "work" the ISO as it is being put onto the
> >CD.  How?
>
> No - you need to prevent your CD burning software from "working" the ISO
> as it is written to CD.  Look for an option involving pre-prepared images,
> (possibly referred to as raw images).  If your CD burning software doesn't
> have such an option you'll need to get some better software.

Or, if the windows CDR software has set up associations correctly,
double-clicking the .iso should do the job.  (Atleast that's what
the Adaptec software does)  (Not that I do that 'windows' thing,
you understand, I just use 'cdrecord dev=1,0,0 speed=4
-many-other-options` - Far simpler ;-)

------------------------------

From: Kevin Duckett <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.hardware
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2001 13:18:28 GMT

DSL/CABLE ROUTER  -->
        CABLE MODEM (cross over cable to modem, if required)
        LINUX MACHINE   (patch cable to router)
        WINDOWS MACHINE  (patch cable to router)

Set IP forwarding to the open ports on Linux machine so you can make
those servives available.

--

Kevin Duckett

From: "cedric" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: video editing
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2001 05:10:11 +0800

Are there any video editing programs for Linux?
If so, where can they be found at?
What about 'avi to mpeg' converters?

cedric

------------------------------

From: "cedric" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: boot up problem
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2001 05:14:32 +0800

After the line, 'Verifying DMI data pool' and before LILO
starts during boot up, all that happens is the scrolling of 'x and o' over and
over and over. The only way to stop it is 'ctl, alt, del.'
LILO never starts.

How can I make more boot disk since the only way I can boot
up is via boot disk.

cedric

------------------------------

From: Lowell Alleman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2001 13:34:39 GMT

Michael Heiming wrote:

> Lowell Alleman wrote:
>
>> Can someone explain to me how the permissions and ownership of the files
>> under /dev/ are supposto change as a user logs on?  (particularly the
>> following devices:  sound card, zip drive, cdrom, floppy drive..)
>
> Why should those perms change in case some user logs in, sure you could
> write something in /etc/profile that changes those perms in case someone
> logs on, but what would be the advantage of doing something like this?

I'm not sure either..... It appears that something inside the system is
changing the permissions when a user logs in.  (and not just the /dev/tty
and /dev/vcsa files)  I looked though the /etc/profile file, but found
nothing that I saw would change permissions.  Is it possible that
/bin/login is changing the permissions?  It this possible something
specific to Mandrake (maybe their Mandrake Security levels, or something
weird like that?)

------------------------------

From: "Brian" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.unix.programmer
Subject: Re: 2 NICs on 1 machine.
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2001 00:41:49 +1100

"Rick Goh" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:3aa23a2a$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> 255.255.255.0
>
> Using Linux Mandrake 7.2 with kernel 2.2.17

i was using Mandrake 7.2 at home and could not connect to it via ANYTHING
except the keyboard plugged into it, and every time i started
telnet/samba/ftp/httpd it would shut them down again at the 4:00 am
crond.daily run

now, im a redhat user again =o) as i coould not find a way to fix it

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Andrew Purugganan)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: What NG do I ask questions about apps?
Date: 8 Mar 2001 13:26:10 GMT

Lloyd Sumpter ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
[ There used to be a mailing list about linux apps, but it seems to be No More.
[ I don't see a comp.os.linux.apps either. So where do I ask questions about Linux
[ apps?

[    For instance: is there an app available that will play MS-Media Player sound
[ files?

THis would be the next best place to post your queries.

There's plenty of media players out there (xanim, xmp, lamp trplayer). Go
to freshmeat.net and scan for 'media' or go to the appindex, in
Multimedia. Most of these apps have to play catch-up however as new
compression formats crop up. And I find that on my 233 MMX Pentium the
voice sometimes doesn't sync with the image; has to do with my setup. I
can play using xanim first, if the clip doesn't work then I try aktion,
then xmp. Then even though one clip is avi, the app says it has an
unsupported codec.

good luck
--
jazz
Registered linux user no. 164098  +--+--+--+ Litestep user no. 386

------------------------------

From: Jeroen Belleman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: How to record the screen ?
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2001 14:23:04 +0100

Jens Köhler wrote:

> Hi,
>
> [...] I would
> like to record the screen [...]

'Import' did the job for me.

Jeroen Belleman

------------------------------

From: Idle Hands <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.networking,uk.comp.os.linux,alt.os.linux.suse,linux.redhat
Subject: Re: I've downloaded the ISO file.  Now what do I do with it?  I've burned a
CD and it won't boot with it.
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2001 13:50:29 GMT

i'm a newbie too guy but before you can burn the disk you have to
extract the files, with WinImage or something similar, i'll get more
specific instructions from my buddy upstairs and i'll post them later
today

Rick   <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Crime wouldn't pay if the government ran it.

------------------------------

From: Timothy Stark <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Help! VFAT filesystem - write permission problems.
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2001 13:51:24 -0000

Hello folks:

I have a question for you.  How do I write my files on VFAT without su
into root?  I tried to change permissions to group-wide writable but I was
unable.

Thank you!

-- Tim Stark

--
Timothy Stark   <><     Inet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that

------------------------------

From: Timothy Stark <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: How to read/write CD directly?
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2001 13:55:25 -0000

Hello folks:

On Windows system, I have DirectCD drivers on them.  I can put and get
files on CD directly without using CD writer software.  On Linux,
I tried to read and write the same CD but I can't both. DirectCD-based
CD is inaccessible to Linux system.  How do I write and read files
on it without switch back to Windows to do?

Thank you!

-- Tim Stark

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Lack Mr G M)
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2001 11:58:20 GMT

In article <69Hp6.132$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Lowell Alleman
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

|> Can someone explain to me how the permissions and ownership of the files
|> under /dev/ are supposto change as a user logs on?  (particularly the
|> following devices:  sound card, zip drive, cdrom, floppy drive..)
|>
|> I've looked though a couple of books now, but none of them appear to touch
|> this topic specificly, So I'll appreciate anything you have to say on the
|> subject!

   If you mean "by what mechanism" then, for an xdm login it is done by
the Xstartup script (or whatever is defined as the startup resource for
xdm in the /etc/X11/xdm/xdm-config file, eg: GiveConsole).

   The "Xstartup" file is run as root, so can change permissions for
devices in /dev.  This is so that sounds devices etc: can be "given" to
the current user of the display without letting all arbitrary remote
users have access to it.

   The script sequence (by default names) is:

At login:
   Xstartup   (as root)
   Xsession   (as logging in user)

At logout:
   Xreset     (as root)  # THIS IS WHERE YOU SET OWNERSHIP BACK TO ROOT!

--
========= Gordon Lack =============== [EMAIL PROTECTED]  ============
This message *may* reflect my personal opinion.  It is *not* intended