Linux-Misc Digest #313, Volume #27                Thu, 8 Mar 01 13:13:02 EST

Contents:
  Re: I've downloaded the ISO file.  Now what do I do with it?  I've burned a CD and
it won't boot with it. (Kenneth Mokkelbost)
  Re: I've downloaded the ISO file.  Now what do I do with it?  I've burned a CD and
it won't boot with it. (John Winters)
  Re: Latex -> PDF (Lack Mr G M)
  gnome calendar ("Robert")
  Re: printer improvement (Rod Smith)
  gtk (from SuSE 7.0 Pro) vs. gtk+-1.3.2 (Young4ert)
  Re: Help! VFAT filesystem - write permission problems. (Rod Smith)
  Re: /dev/ ownership and permisions.  Change at logon times? (Michael Heiming)
  Automount and soft links (Tom Combs)
  Re: I've downloaded the ISO file.  Now what do I do with it?  I've burned a CD and
it won't boot with it. ("Tom")
  Uptodate version (Vinod Gupta)
  Re: bash: scp: command not found (but...) (Pranab Kumar Nag)
  Re: /dev/ ownership and permisions. Change at logon times? (John Thompson)
  Re: /dev/ ownership and permisions. Change at logon times? (Michael Heiming)
  Re: Automount and soft links ("Peter T. Breuer")
  Re: Help! VFAT filesystem - write permission problems. ("Peter T. Breuer")
  Re: strange root passwd problem! (Bill Unruh)
  login problem (Steve)
  Re: I've downloaded the ISO file.  Now what do I do with it?  I've  (Joe Bloggs)
  Re: Uptodate version (Grant Edwards)
  Re: I've downloaded the ISO file.  Now what do I do with it?  I've  (John Winters)
  Re: How to make the computer CD-bootable ? ("Chris Divine")
  Tk based alarm clock (* Tong *)

From: Kenneth Mokkelbost <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.networking,uk.comp.os.linux,alt.os.linux.suse,linux.redhat
Subject: Re: I've downloaded the ISO file.  Now what do I do with it?  I've burned a
CD and it won't boot with it.
Date: 08 Mar 2001 15:19:39 +0100

Idle Hands <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> i'm a newbie too guy but before you can burn the disk you have to
> extract the files, with WinImage or something similar, i'll get more
> specific instructions from my buddy upstairs and i'll post them later
> today
>
> Rick   <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
> Crime wouldn't pay if the government ran it.

No, no, no.
You don't need to do that. If you use Adaptec you have:
File->Write from image (or import from image, can't remember which).
Its standard file filter is *.cif, but you just choose *.iso. Choose the
correct file, insert cd and click OK. All cd-writer software I've seen
have an option like this.
Easy enough?

If you didn't understand this, choose help and search for iso.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (John Winters)
Crossposted-To:
Date: 8 Mar 2001 14:20:40 -0000

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Idle Hands  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

[re-arranged in conventional posting order]

>On Wed, 7 Mar 2001 15:07:04 -0000, "Newbie from Win98"
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>>Dear All,
>>
>>please can you help me?
>>
>>I've downloaded the SuSE EVal 7_0 ISO file.  Now what do I do with it?  I've
>>burned a CD and it won't boot with it.  Do I need to unzip it or something?
>>
>>I do not have any copies of Linux on this box and I have not installed Linux
>>before.
>>
>>The filename is: live-evaluation-i386-70.iso
>
>i'm a newbie too guy but before you can burn the disk you have to
>extract the files, with WinImage or something similar,

No - that's precisely what you *don't* want to do.  The image needs
to be burnt to a CD precisely as it is.  Not unpacked, not packed as
a file into another CD image.  Essentially you just have to get your
CD software to leave it completely untouched and burn it onto the CD.

John
--
John Winters.  Wallingford, Oxon, England.

The Linux Emporium - the source for Linux CDs in the UK
See http://www.linuxemporium.co.uk/

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Lack Mr G M)
Subject: Re: Latex -> PDF
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2001 13:29:26 GMT

In article <987old$coo$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "salazar" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
writes:

|> Well, I didn't try use the "-Ppdf" option but, I already find what was the
|> cause of my problem. The pdflatex or ps2pdf (with a dvips without the
|> option -Ppdf at least) will result always with a text with bad fonts. I
|> solved my problem when I change the package "\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}"
|> with this one "\usepackage[latin1]{inputenc}". I need one of this because I
|> must use some portuguese characters as "é ó" or "ç".

   So what about:  \'{e}, \'{o} and \c{c} ?

--
========= Gordon Lack =============== [EMAIL PROTECTED]  ============
This message *may* reflect my personal opinion.  It is *not* intended

------------------------------

From: "Robert" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: gnome calendar
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2001 09:43:06 -0500

Hi,
I'm  wondering how to start gnome calendar (gnomecal) maximized and (if
possible) in workspace #4).
I have added the line: "exec gnomecal &" in my .bash_profile and it starts
with X, but I would like these other behaviors as well.
The help file shows a switch called geometry but after exhausting my
possibilities I can not get it to do anything but the default size.
(tried --geometry 800X600 ...--geometry 0 0 800 600 ...and many others. The
help file tells me to use --geometry=GEOMETRY which is a little terse.  A
web and newsgroup search turned up nothing.
(using mandrake 7.2 with icewm.  Kde and Gnome are installed but not used)
Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Robert

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rod Smith)
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,linux.debian.user
Subject: Re: printer improvement
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2001 14:43:46 -0000

[Posted and mailed]

In article <984m9a$kel$02$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        "Roland Zumkeller" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> Is there a way to improove the printing quality of a HP Laserjet 4L?
>
> I'm using apsfilter, which works. But there are to things that bother me:
>
> 1) Fonts (especially small ones) look bad when printing ps files. It seems
> that antialiasing is turned off. (Is this possible?)

Laser printers don't do antialiasing. Antialiasing is a technique in
which shades of grey are used to "blur" the jaggedness of bitmaps on
the screen. Laser printers, though, are strictly black-and-white
devices; there are no shades of grey to use. (There are color laser
printers, but that wouldn't really help. There may be some very
expensive printers that can produce true shades of grey, but that's
certainly not the case of the HP LJ 4L or anything even close to its
price range.) Some laser printers use a technique in which the SIZE of
dots is varied to reduce the jaggedness of text, but I don't know if
that's an automatic thing or something that must be handled by drivers.

I don't recall offhand if the LJ 4L is capable of handling 600 dpi
printing. If it is, there's a good chance that apsfilter is simply
misconfigured to tell Ghostscript to print at 300 dpi and not 600 dpi.
If the printer can only do 300 dpi, then it's possible you're getting
as good as you'll get, unless of course Ghostscript is set for a still
lower resolution (like 150 dpi). It's hard to tell how much of a problem
this REALLY is, though, because verbal descriptions of font quality are
so subjective. From your description, I don't know if you're getting 75
dpi, 150 dpi, 300 dpi, 600 dpi, or what.

> 2) When printing images (or web pages and the like), they appear to be
> dithered or rastered (I'm not sure about the correct English term), that
> is they consist of quite big points, similiar to newspaper.

Again, "quite big points" is pretty imprecise. Laying out individual
black dots is the only way that monochrome laser printers can print. We
perceive shades of grey because they're small enough that they blur
together at normal reading distances. If this is really a problem you're
seeing, and not some difference due to, say, using different test images
in Windows and Linux, then the cause is likely the resolution set in
apsfilter and sent to Ghostscript.

I'm not very familiar with apsfilter, so I can't offer you more specific
advice on where to look to check your current resolution settings.

--
Rod Smith, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.rodsbooks.com

------------------------------

From: Young4ert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: gtk (from SuSE 7.0 Pro) vs. gtk+-1.3.2
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2001 14:35:35 GMT

Hi,

I just went to take a look at the http://www.gtk.org and it mentioned that
"GTK+ is a set of libraries to create graphical user interfaces. It has a
C-based object-oriented architecture that allows for maximum flexibility,
and consists of the following component libraries: GLib, GDK, and GTK".
Does this mean I can download the latest gtk+ and replace the gtk-1.2.8 as
well as gtkdev-1.2.8 from the SuSE-7.0 Pro distro?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rod Smith)
Subject: Re: Help! VFAT filesystem - write permission problems.
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2001 14:51:05 -0000

[Posted and mailed]

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        Timothy Stark <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> Hello folks:
>
> I have a question for you.  How do I write my files on VFAT without su
> into root?  I tried to change permissions to group-wide writable but I was
> unable.

You need to use at least one mount option:

uid=xxx
-or-
umask=0

If you use the uid=xxx form, that sets the owner of all the files on the
partition to whoever has the user ID xxx. For instance, on my system,
rodsmith has UID 500, and so uid=500 sets rodsmith to be the owner of
all the files. This is good for letting ONE person write to the
partition. There's a similar gid=xxx option, too, for setting the group
ID. umask=0 is more broad-based; that sets the permissions on ALL files
to 777, except where the DOS read-only bit is set, in which case the
permissions are 555. This lets ALL users read and write ALL the files on
the partition.

If you're mounting the partition via a line in /etc/fstab, you'd need to
put the options there. For instance:

/dev/hdb5           /other/shared   vfat     uid=500,umask=0 0 0

Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2001 16:08:09 +0100
From: Michael Heiming <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: /dev/ ownership and permisions.  Change at logon times?

Lowell Alleman wrote:

> Michael Heiming wrote:
>
> > Lowell Alleman wrote:
> >
> >> Can someone explain to me how the permissions and ownership of the files
> >> under /dev/ are supposto change as a user logs on?  (particularly the
> >> following devices:  sound card, zip drive, cdrom, floppy drive..)
> >
> > Why should those perms change in case some user logs in, sure you could
> > write something in /etc/profile that changes those perms in case someone
> > logs on, but what would be the advantage of doing something like this?
>
> I'm not sure either..... It appears that something inside the system is
> changing the permissions when a user logs in.  (and not just the /dev/tty
> and /dev/vcsa files)  I looked though the /etc/profile file, but found
> nothing that I saw would change permissions.  Is it possible that
> /bin/login is changing the permissions?  It this possible something
> specific to Mandrake (maybe their Mandrake Security levels, or something
> weird like that?)

Don't know about Mandrake, SuSE has a script /etc/permissions
which checks/changes permissions but it's run from cron,
not if someone logs in and it checks per default only /dev/null, nothing
else in /dev?

There are just a few things, that come to my mind in the moment:

-You've been hacked, check logs/binaries for anything unexpected.
-Someone who has root access and is doing something nasty.
-It's a Mandrake thing, I can't imagine this, but it's never a bad idea
to check the online support pages of your distro.

Try:

grep -r chown /etc/*
grep -r chmod /etc/*
grep -r chgrp /etc/*

Rather curious, please report back if you found the solution.

Michael Heiming

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Tom Combs)
Subject: Automount and soft links
Date: 6 Mar 2001 16:07:07 GMT

Hello,

    Is there any way to get automount to play nicely with home directories
    that are actually entered as soft links in /etc/passwd?  I would like
    to move to automount but for historical reasons, most people have
    their home directory represented by a link and automount will not
    mount the true home directory.  Any way around this?

    Thanks,    Tom Combs

--
Tom Combs                                      E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "Tom" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.networking,uk.comp.os.linux,alt.os.linux.suse,linux.redhat,alt.os.linux
CD and it won't boot with it.
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2001 10:50:34 -0500

Ya, you have to burn an image of it.  Goto nero.com and it's the number one
question in the FAQ section.

"Newbie from Win98" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:986t5o$ba0$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Dear All,
>
> please can you help me?  I've included more information as well as adding
> another Newsgroup (alt.os.linux) so I am re-posting this.  Please see if
you
> can help me as I have now spent over 2 days searching the internet and
> reading everything I can get my hands on but so far it hasn't helped me.
>
> I've downloaded the SuSE EVal 7_0 ISO file.  Now what do I do with it?
I've
> burned a CD and it won't boot with it.  Do I need to unzip it or
something?
> I can see the ISO file on the CD under Windows 98.
>
> I used Nero Burning ROM software v4.0.5.0 that came free with my Creative
> CD-RW.  I can see the ISO file on the CD in Windows.  There was a mention
in
> the Nero Help File of being able to Burn an Image but this option was not
> where the help file said it would be so I could not do a "Burn Image".
> Something tells me this is my downfall.
>
> I do not have any copies of Linux on this box and I have not installed
Linux
> before.  All the HOW-TO's mention making an ISO bootable from within
Linux,

------------------------------

From: Vinod Gupta <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.kernel
Subject: Uptodate version
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2001 16:49:11 +0100

I am not very clear how versioning is coordinated among
different distros and the software maintainers.

For instance, many of the hackers and Redhat detect security holes
and other bugs in Kernel which are promptly incorporated in the
next release. Then, which of the following is more uptodate:
Original Kernel newer version 2.2.18    released in Dec 2000 or
Redhat's Kernel older version 2.2.17-14 released in Feb 2001

Vinod.

------------------------------

From: Pranab Kumar Nag <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: bash: scp: command not found (but...)
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2001 11:37:01 -0500

I had the same problem. Putting a file called 'environment' in the .ssh
directory of the remote machine solved the problem. The file should contain a
line like PATH=/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin or whatever your search paths are.

------------------------------

From: John Thompson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2001 06:38:17 -0600

Lowell Alleman wrote:

> Can someone explain to me how the permissions and ownership of the files
> under /dev/ are supposto change as a user logs on?  (particularly the
> following devices:  sound card, zip drive, cdrom, floppy drive..)
>
> I've looked though a couple of books now, but none of them appear to touch
> this topic specificly, So I'll appreciate anything you have to say on the
> subject!

This is done by the PAM system.  When you log in at the system
console, PAM changes permissions of certain devices to grant
exclusive access to the user at the console, and restores them to
the default permissions when the user logs out.  This is
configurable in /etc/security/console.perms.  See "man
pam_console" for details.

--

-John ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2001 18:13:04 +0100
From: Michael Heiming <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

John Thompson wrote:

> Lowell Alleman wrote:
>
> > Can someone explain to me how the permissions and ownership of the files
> > under /dev/ are supposto change as a user logs on?  (particularly the
> > following devices:  sound card, zip drive, cdrom, floppy drive..)
> >
> > I've looked though a couple of books now, but none of them appear to touch
> > this topic specificly, So I'll appreciate anything you have to say on the
> > subject!
>
> This is done by the PAM system.  When you log in at the system
> console, PAM changes permissions of certain devices to grant
> exclusive access to the user at the console, and restores them to
> the default permissions when the user logs out.  This is
> configurable in /etc/security/console.perms.  See "man
> pam_console" for details.
>
> --
>
> -John ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

Thx for the info.

I read the online man page, as my (SuSE) system has no pam_console, not
even the manpage, I'd never heard about it.

Michael Heiming

------------------------------

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Automount and soft links
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2001 17:51:58 +0100

Tom Combs <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>     Is there any way to get automount to play nicely with home directories
>     that are actually entered as soft links in /etc/passwd?  I would like
>     to move to automount but for historical reasons, most people have
>     their home directory represented by a link and automount will not
>     mount the true home directory.  Any way around this?

Oh yes it will. What do you mean?

All my home directories are links to the autofs area, and autofs mounts
the correct source on  demand.

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2001 17:54:40 +0100

Timothy Stark <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I have a question for you.  How do I write my files on VFAT without su

You don't.

> into root?  I tried to change permissions to group-wide writable but I was
> unable.

Not surprising, There aren't any permissions on msdos file systems.

This is a FAQ. Search for the answer or read the man page for mount.
The uid and gid options, and possibly the umask option.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bill Unruh)
Subject: Re: strange root passwd problem!
Date: 8 Mar 2001 17:21:53 GMT

In <aAEp6.260$[EMAIL PROTECTED]> "David Murray" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

]Well, RedHat 6.0 and up doesn't, by default, allow anybody to login as root
]unless you are at the console.  What purpose this serves I don't know!  I
]always hear that people could watch you type in the root password with a
]packet sniffer.  That may be true, but they could still watch when you use
]the "su" command to become root.. Anyway, even though you are at the

Yes. You should NEVER use telnet to log on over the net as root, in
anyway whatsoever, whether directly or vi su.

]console, it is going through telnet and the system assumes you are an
]outside user.

No it does not.

------------------------------

From: Steve <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: login problem
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2001 17:26:53 GMT

Hello,
something strange is happening on my linux box (kernel 2.4.1). Don't know
when it started but I have a login problem which prevents me to login in
the console. Machine starts kdm and I can login through it but when I try
to login on the console it says password incorrect (which I removed with
passwd). Could be an utmp problem? I say this cause when I try to login in
a xterm (doing login command) I get "Unable to determine your tty name" and
when I issue the who command nobody appears to be in the system. What's
happening? I have libc 2.1 and upgraded recently to the openssl routines.

------------------------------

From: Joe Bloggs <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.networking,uk.comp.os.linux,alt.os.linux.suse,linux.redhat
Subject: Re: I've downloaded the ISO file.  Now what do I do with it?  I've
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2001 18:29:16 +0100

Your all wrong!!  Just go to the local newsagent and look along the third shelf
for linux monthly....   hopefully on the cover of it will be a free copy of Red
Hat all ready correctly burned for you to install. If its not there then wait a
month...

Much easier no?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Grant Edwards)
Crossposted-To: linux.kernel
Subject: Re: Uptodate version
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2001 17:56:47 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Vinod Gupta wrote:

>For instance, many of the hackers and Redhat detect security holes
>and other bugs in Kernel which are promptly incorporated in the
>next release. Then, which of the following is more uptodate:
>Original Kernel newer version 2.2.18    released in Dec 2000 or
>Redhat's Kernel older version 2.2.17-14 released in Feb 2001

You'll have to define "uptodate" in order to answer that
question.  In your example, 2.2.18 is a newer version of the
kernel, but 2.2.17-14 has been "updated" more recently -- it's
probably had some configuration stuff changed.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  I want EARS! I
                                  at               want two ROUND BLACK

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (John Winters)
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.networking,uk.comp.os.linux,alt.os.linux.suse,linux.redhat
Date: 8 Mar 2001 18:01:40 -0000

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Joe Bloggs  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Your all wrong!!  Just go to the local newsagent and look along the third shelf
>for linux monthly....   hopefully on the cover of it will be a free copy of Red
>Hat all ready correctly burned for you to install. If its not there then wait a
>month...
>
>Much easier no?

No.  What he's trying to get is a a copy of the SuSE Linux 7.0 live
evaluation CD.  This allows you to run Linux without re-partitioning
your hard drive.  A normal Red Hat CD doesn't offer this option.

John

From: "Chris Divine" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How to make the computer CD-bootable ?
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2001 10:00:02 -0800

"Arctic Storm" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in
message news:A0Dp6.143$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> I have a computer that's not CD bootable.
> I would like to install something from a CD, and the installation would be
> much easier if the computer were CD bootable.
> Is there a way to boot from the CD, after booting from a Linux floppy, DOS
> floppy, or something like that,...
> Yes, there's a way to install the software even if the computer is not CD
> bootable, but that would be much more difficult and take more work.

If you know someone with a Windows 98 system, ask them to make you a Windows
98 Startup disk. This is simply a bootable floppy disk with drivers for most
CDROM drives. Of course it couldn't access Linux drives, but it would give
you access to the CDROM drive. From there you could run the startup program
of whatever CD application you want.

------------------------------

From: * Tong * <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.lang.tcl,comp.lang.perl.misc
Subject: Tk based alarm clock
Date: 08 Mar 2001 14:06:00 -0400

Hi,

I'm planing to write a Tk based alarm clock, and make it open source
tool for the public. So the first thing I have to make sure is that
there's not such a thing out there. My research is enclosed at the
end of this email.

Do you know / heard of such program or anything similar? I'd like to
hear your comment. Thanks.

Here is what I've found and the reason that I don't like
personally:

xalarm clock: C based.
alarm clock in tkgoodstuff: too simple and not stand alone.

Beside, a search in all news in comp.lang.* on alarm/Tk turns out
nothing....

Thanks for your comment.

FYI, when I say alarm clock, I mean something you can set a time
with, and when the time goes off, it pop up and window with the
message and sound a alarm sound... When I say Tk based, I mean
either Tcl/Tk or Perl/Tk. I'm going to write it in Perl/Tk though.

--
Tong (remove underscore(s) to reply)
  http://members.xoom.com/suntong001/