Linux-Misc Digest #315, Volume #27                Thu, 8 Mar 01 18:13:04 EST

Contents:
  Re: Question: setup cable modem, Linux and Windows (John Dubchak)
  Re: Question: setup cable modem, Linux and Windows (Grant Edwards)
  Free Linux account ("Alfred Schetelig")
  Re: Dual boot: Linux & WinNT ("Eric en Jolanda")
  Re: Dual boot: Linux & WinNT ("Robert Wiegand")
  Re: My kernal won't load (=?ISO-8859-2?Q?Tom=E1=B9_Honz=E1k?=)
  Re: I've downloaded the ISO file.  Now what do I do with it?  I've  burned a CD and
it won't boot with it. (Paul Grayson)
  Re: Hard Drive ("FARFROMNÖRMAL")
  Small distro install from floppy? (Stan McCann)
  Re: Small distro install from floppy? (Pjtg0707)
  Re: How similar are Linux distros? (Fester)
  Re: How similar are Linux distros? (Adam =?iso-8859-2?Q?Podstawczy=F1ski?=)
  Re: Small distro install from floppy? (Adam =?iso-8859-2?Q?Podstawczy=F1ski?=)
  Re: Linux Scrolling mouse (Adam =?iso-8859-2?Q?Podstawczy=F1ski?=)
  Re: Small distro install from floppy? (Vincent Fox)
  Re: Small distro install from floppy? ("green")
  Re: printer improvement (James Silverton)
  Questions about tuning caching, and memory management weirdness ("Samuel R. Scarano")
  Re: Small distro install from floppy? (B'ichela)

From: John Dubchak <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Re: Question: setup cable modem, Linux and Windows
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2001 20:09:42 GMT

I've purchased a Linksys Router/Hub with the capacity to act as a hardware
firewall, along with necessary ethernet cards for the Windows and Linux
machine as well.

Do I need to configure the Linux and Windows machines to use DHCP?  Is that
provided the Router/Hub?

Given this configuration, will it be possible to use the Linux and Windows
boxes in a normal networked configuration?  i.e. share files and ftp from
Windows to Linux?

Thanks,
John

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Grant Edwards)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.hardware
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2001 20:22:32 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, John Dubchak wrote:

>I've purchased a Linksys Router/Hub with the capacity to act as
>a hardware firewall, along with necessary ethernet cards for
>the Windows and Linux machine as well.
>
>Do I need to configure the Linux and Windows machines to use
>DHCP?

Maybe, maybe not.

>Is that provided the Router/Hub?

Probably. Didn't it come with documentation?

My Cisco 675 DSL modem/router will act as a DHCP server if so
configured.  I shut of the DHCP server in the 675 and
statically configured all my machines.

>Given this configuration, will it be possible to use the Linux
>and Windows boxes in a normal networked configuration?  i.e.
>share files and ftp from Windows to Linux?

Yes, as long as you configure the router/hub correctly.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  MMM-MM!! So THIS is
                                  at               BIO-NEBULATION!

------------------------------

From: "Alfred Schetelig" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.lang.perl.misc,comp.os.linux.networking,de.comp.lang.perl.misc
Subject: Free Linux account
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2001 21:19:57 +0100

Does anybody know of a free linux account offer on the WEB? Alfred

------------------------------

From: "Eric en Jolanda" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Dual boot: Linux & WinNT
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2001 21:38:28 +0100

> I've got a Windows NT4 machine that I'm doing a lot of work on (XML,
> Java, MySQL, Perl, etc.). I need to get Linux on this machine so I can
> get some applications running smoothly that are non-functional in NT.

:-)

> However, I also need NT for certain applications that I can't get in
> Linux.

:-|

> I'd like to have my machine dual boot with either my current NT or Red
> Hat Linux. I've already got a partition on my machine.

A partition? I suppose you mean one extra for linux.
You'll be better of using two partitions at least, one for the swap (virtual
RAM)
and one for the rest. You can read the partitioning howto for more info on
partitioning schemes.

> I've heard about
> this bootloader called "lilo" that supposedly comes with Linux, and
> supposedly it will automatically install Linux to a partition and create
> a dual boot option upon startup.

It's becoming more magical each day :-)
No lilo won't do that, the RedHat installer will.
Unfortunetaly, it will not add an entry in your case, as it does this
only for win9x and DOS. (In RH6.2 that is, I'm not sure about RH7.0)

It doesn't really matter though, as adding an entry is really easy.

> Does this "lilo" come with Red Hat
> Linux 6.2? or Red Hat 7 Deluxe Workstation?

Yes on both occasions.

I would advise you to read a book on linux, before installing.
It will make your linux expierience more fun.

Eric

------------------------------

From: "Robert Wiegand" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2001 14:11:08 -0600

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Alex Lazarevich"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I'll say right off the bat, I've never used Linux before and I'm pretty
> ashamed. Here's my question:
>
> I've got a Windows NT4 machine that I'm doing a lot of work on (XML, Java,
> MySQL, Perl, etc.). I need to get Linux on this machine so I can get some
> applications running smoothly that are non-functional in NT. However, I also
> need NT for certain applications that I can't get in Linux.
>
> I'd like to have my machine dual boot with either my current NT or Red Hat
> Linux. I've already got a partition on my machine. I've heard about this
> bootloader called "lilo" that supposedly comes with Linux, and supposedly it
> will automatically install Linux to a partition and create a dual boot option
> upon startup. Does this "lilo" come with Red Hat Linux 6.2? or Red Hat 7
> Deluxe Workstation?
>
> Alex

It is possible to use the NT loader to dual boot NT and Linux.

See:
http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/mini/Linux+NT-Loader.html

Bob Wiegand   [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: =?ISO-8859-2?Q?Tom=E1=B9_Honz=E1k?= <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: My kernal won't load
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2001 21:31:57 +0100

George M. Butler wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I have been using Linux ( Redhat 6.2 ) since last October and it has
> been fine.  I noticed
> several days ago that I could not use my printer and when I tried to
> restart the printer daemon
> it complained that it could not start it.  So I tried rebooting the
> system and failed messeages
> flew by.  I looked in lilo.conf and saw that it was trying to load  the
> 2.2.16-3 version of the
> kernal.  I looked and found that my kernal is version 2.2.17-14.  I
> edited that line in the lilo.conf
> file to look for the right kernal.  When I ran lilo I got the message:
>
> Added linux-2.2.17-14
> Device 0x2100: Invalid partition table, 2nd entry
> 3d address: 1/0/3  (3024)
> Linear address: 1/13/47  (48195)
>

> I did run fdisk  /dev/hde    and  it reported
> four partitions:
>
> hde1   ( linux )
> hde2  ( fat 32 )
> hde3  ( linux swap )
> hde4  ( linux )
>
> and also reported that each partition hdei  ( i = 1, 2, 3, 4 )
> did not end on a cylinder and gave the ending address and where it
> should end.
>

> My question is:  What can I do to fix this probelm?  Thanks for any help
> I might
> receive.

Hi,

try adding

fix-table

to your /etc/lilo.conf file and then run /sbin/lilo . It will fix the
mentioned partiton-table trouble, which was probably caused by Windows
(you've got'em on your disk, dont ya? :-) .

But before you do this, make sure that you have a windows rescue disk and a
linux boot disk as well, cause you maybe won't be able to boot windows
right after you fix this problem and will have to use win boot disk, run
fdisk /mbr which will most likely remove your lilo... (this is what it did
to me).

HTH

Tom

|  Tomas Honzak  -=*=-   [EMAIL PROTECTED]  -=*=-  http://i.am/thonzak  |
 GCS d+(-) s: a-> C++(+++) UL++++$ P+++> L+++$> E+ W++ N++ o? K- w--- O-
   M-- V- PS+ PE++ Y PGP t+++ 5? X R tv+ b++ DI++ D+ G+ e> h! r++> y+

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Paul Grayson)
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.networking,uk.comp.os.linux,alt.os.linux.suse,linux.redhat
Subject: Re: I've downloaded the ISO file.  Now what do I do with it?  I've  burned a
CD and it won't boot with it.
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2001 00:05:37 +0000

On Wed, 7 Mar 2001 23:08:27 -0000, Steve Doney made me spill my beer when saying:

>Any relation to the John Walters mentioned in one of the PC mags :-)

At least they got the initials correct, which means some accuracy, a
rare occurrance in itself.

To call Linux Format a comic is an insult to the Beano.

--
Everyone else has spent the last 15 years making fault tolerant software;
Microsoft have spent the last 15 years making fault tolerant users - Anon

------------------------------

From: "FARFROMNÖRMAL" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: ak.os.linux,alt.comp.linux,alt.linux,ar.linux,at.linux
Subject: Re: Hard Drive
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2001 15:02:44 -0000

I know it needs to be on hda, and I am trying to change it so it is, that's
what I need help with.

Also, I tried taking my hard drive off my controller card and hooking it
right to the motherboard's IDE and Linux boots fine and the harddrive is
shows as hda.

But what do I do to fix Linux so I can use the card, its getting to be a
real pain in the ass switching the cable everytime I want to boot Linux.

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: Stan McCann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Small distro install from floppy?
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2001 13:42:59 -0700

Can anyone point me toward a small distro that I can install on an old
486 laptop?  I have spent hours searching and keep coming up with single
floppy distros that boot and install into RAM but I want something that
I can actually install onto the laptop's hard drive.  I want to be able
to use the laptop for demo's of small cgi programs so it must be able to
run a web server, perl, gui, and web browser.  I don't really need
anything else to run on it as it won't be hooked to a network and with
only 8Mb RAM and a 270Mb hard drive, it will be pushing the machine to
do what I want.  Thanks.

Stan McCann

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Pjtg0707)
Subject: Re: Small distro install from floppy?
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2001 21:19:46 -0000

On Thu, 08 Mar 2001 13:42:59 -0700, Stan McCann
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Can anyone point me toward a small distro that I can install on an old
>486 laptop?  I have spent hours searching and keep coming up with single
>floppy distros that boot and install into RAM but I want something that
>I can actually install onto the laptop's hard drive.  I want to be able
>to use the laptop for demo's of small cgi programs so it must be able to
>run a web server, perl, gui, and web browser.  I don't really need
>anything else to run on it as it won't be hooked to a network and with
>only 8Mb RAM and a 270Mb hard drive, it will be pushing the machine to
>do what I want.  Thanks.

I used to run Slackware 1.2.13 on a 386-40/8 meg/210 meg drive with
perl 5.004 and apache.

I ended up getting Slackware to run and downloaded Perl and APache from
their respective sites and builted it on the machine. The APache
build took over 5 hours and Perl was a little shorter.

I am not sure if you can find an older version of Slackware, but it will
work if you can fin one.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Fester)
Subject: Re: How similar are Linux distros?
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2001 21:34:54 GMT

I saw Joel Doucet rant about the following:
>I was wondering if I could use my Corel manual with other distributions of
>Linux.  Is this possible?

Operations should be about the same (the major commands are the same on
every distrib), but configuration files and tools are where there is a
big rift.

--
-- Fester

I am a self-aware sig file. Stand in AWE.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Adam =?iso-8859-2?Q?Podstawczy=F1ski?=)
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2001 23:15:06 +0100

Joel Doucet, napisało Ci się:
> I was wondering if I could use my Corel manual with other distributions of
> Linux.  Is this possible?

Basic difference is the location of configuration files, the kind of package
manager used, packages installed as standard, the way the kernel has been
compiled by the manufacturer. What you can usually use in any distribution
is the set of basic commands, the general information on filesystems and
devices, kernel compilation instructions, user management issues and other
'generic' topics.

--
Adam Podstawczyński
Linuksłownik: http://kolos.math.uni.lodz.pl/ap/linukslownik/

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Adam =?iso-8859-2?Q?Podstawczy=F1ski?=)
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2001 23:18:39 +0100

Stan McCann, napisało Ci się:
> Can anyone point me toward a small distro that I can install on an old
> 486 laptop?  I have spent hours searching and keep coming up with single
> floppy distros that boot and install into RAM but I want something that
> I can actually install onto the laptop's hard drive.  I want to be able
> to use the laptop for demo's of small cgi programs so it must be able to
> run a web server, perl, gui, and web browser.  I don't really need
> anything else to run on it as it won't be hooked to a network and with
> only 8Mb RAM and a 270Mb hard drive, it will be pushing the machine to
> do what I want.  Thanks.

Hi. Mulinux has the option of hard-disk install; this minidistribution is
well-maintained, full of tools and features, and besides, the author's
ubiquituous remarks add fun.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Adam =?iso-8859-2?Q?Podstawczy=F1ski?=)
Subject: Re: Linux Scrolling mouse
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2001 23:28:46 +0100

Darrin, napisało Ci się:
> How do I set up my scroll botton to work with Linux KDE? To be able to
> scroll trhough Web pages and Xterms.

Use imwheel.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Vincent Fox)
Date: 8 Mar 2001 22:26:23 GMT

In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Pjtg0707)
writes:

*snip*

See Peanut Linux, fits in 150 megs of disk or less.

--
        "Who needs horror movies when we have Microsoft"?
         -- Christine Comaford, PC Week, 27/9/95

------------------------------

From: "green" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2001 08:42:26 +1000

tiny linux is based on slack 4.0

go to linux.org under distrobutions and look there
slack 4.0 packages work with it.

slack 4.0 would work to.

lem (linux embedded)  for a small x server type application.

peanut is what im currently trying though. has kde in it.

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: James Silverton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,linux.debian.user
Subject: Re: printer improvement
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2001 17:51:30 -0500

Rod Smith wrote:

> [Posted and mailed]
>
> In article <984m9a$kel$02$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>         "Roland Zumkeller" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> > Is there a way to improove the printing quality of a HP Laserjet 4L?
> >
> > I'm using apsfilter, which works. But there are to things that bother me:
> >
> > 1) Fonts (especially small ones) look bad when printing ps files. It seems
> > that antialiasing is turned off. (Is this possible?)
>
> Laser printers don't do antialiasing. Antialiasing is a technique in
>
> I don't recall offhand if the LJ 4L is capable of handling 600 dpi
> printing.

I have a 4L and I can affirm that 300dpi is its best performance. On the
other hand, I think it works pretty well with apsfilter and I'm not sure
what is the problem. I would rather not buy a new printer and the 4L is
built like a tank!

Jim.

--
James V.  Silverton
Potomac, Maryland.

------------------------------

From: "Samuel R. Scarano" <srs25@[remove-this]cornell.edu>
Subject: Questions about tuning caching, and memory management weirdness
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2001 17:55:46 -0500

In brief:

1. How can I get Linux to cache less and swap out less?

2. How can RSS be much less than VSS (for most processes) when I'm not using
any swap? Which one indicates how much physical RAM a process is actually
taking up? Also, what would cause RSS to be 0 for a process that I'm actually
using (in my case, Netscape)?

And now for the details:

Hi, I have kernel 2.2.17 and 128 megs of RAM. I consider that to be plenty of
RAM, but yet I get lots of paging activity--and the cache size is typically 60
megs. All that swapping is really annoying, especially since much of my cache
is probably MP3s, which get read once in a while, so caching them is useless.
So I tried to figure out how to make Linux cache less agressively and more
reluctant to page stuff out to disk. I couldn't find any documentation on this
but I did find something on the 'net about /proc/sys/vm/freepages. So I reduced
those numbers (from something like 255/500/700 to 255/300/400), hoping that
that would make the kernel less likely to page stuff out. But after doing
memory intensive stuff, such as running VMWare, the cache size *increased* from
58 to something like 80 megs! So here I have most of my stuff swapped out, and
Linux insists on keeping 2/3rds my physical RAM devoted to cache! Very
frustrating.

So right now I have swap turned off completely, and my system is performing at
least as well as usual (although I probably wouldn't have enough RAM to run
VMWare). But strangely enough, processes' resident sizes are still much lower
than virtual sizes. Here's a sample from 'ps axl':

  F   UID   PID  PPID PRI  NI   VSZ  RSS WCHAN  STAT TTY        TIME COMMAND
000  1000 23587 21418   8   0 26404 19528 do_sel S   tty1       0:17
/usr/lib/ne
000  1000 23645 23587   0   0 16572 3652 do_sel S    tty1       0:00 (dns
helper
000     0 23654 21375   0   0   984  332 nanosl S    ?          0:00 sleep 1800
000  1000 23658 21418   0   0 11272 5404 do_sel S    tty1       0:01 xmms

Can anyone tell me what's up with that?

This has all got me really confused. I feel like I aught to be able to use swap
without worrying about this stuff but the cache just gets way out of control.
If someone can point me in the right direction, I'd really appreciate it --
even if it's just a matter of telling where this stuff is documented (I looked
for documentation and found none).

--
Samuel R. Scarano                        "Due to circumstances beyond my
Cornell University undergraduate         control, I am master of my fate

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (B'ichela)
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2001 17:47:19 -0500

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Can anyone point me toward a small distro that I can install on an old
>486 laptop?  I have spent hours searching and keep coming up with single
>floppy distros that boot and install into RAM but I want something that
>I can actually install onto the laptop's hard drive.  I want to be able
>to use the laptop for demo's of small cgi programs so it must be able to
>run a web server, perl, gui, and web browser.  I don't really need
>anything else to run on it as it won't be hooked to a network and with
>only 8Mb RAM and a 270Mb hard drive, it will be pushing the machine to
>do what I want.  Thanks.
        Slackware sounds like what you need. I run slackware 3.9 here
and this version supplies the A and N disk sets as floppy based. You
get the others up after you  install these. If you want full floppy
install of EVERYTHING you will need an older slackware release. I know
slackware 3.2 is fully floppy installable (if you don't mind lprng!)
LPR the New Generation).
        Running X on 8mb of ram can be done but don't expect it to run
FAST! Best bet is to get an older slackware 3.1 disk package with its
older X windows system.
        I can related to your needs as I have a 486/DX2 66mhz 8mb
client machine here. Difference is that I found a free IDE cdrom drive
for it. Since this only had a 250MB IDE drive I understand the space
crunch very well.
        To do a full floppy install will take LOTS of floppies! With
slackware 3.1 one could install the A,AP and D disk sets along with
the bare basics of N and X to get you going for maybe 200mb of disk
space. (you want some space for your own use).

--

                        B'ichela