Linux-Misc Digest #320, Volume #27                Fri, 9 Mar 01 09:13:02 EST

Contents:
  Re: Looking for a program to blank mouse cursor (Russell Marks)
  Re: How to dd and untar remotely ? (Frank Ranner)
  Re: Netscape 4.75 icons turned black and white (Stanislaw Flatto)
  Help - lost partition information ("Robert Schoenberg")
  Re: mouse pauses (Jean-David Beyer)
  Re: Help - lost partition information ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  ISDN transmission hangs under 2.4.x (Bernd Eggink)
  Re: I've downloaded the ISO file.  Now what do I do with it?  I've  burned a CD and
it won't boot with it. ("David Robinson")
  Re: Help - lost partition information ("Robert Schoenberg")
  Re: Netscape eats 100% CPU and hangs when viewing Java pages (Jean-David Beyer)
  Re: Mandrake Question - Simple (Jean-David Beyer)
  Re: Help - lost partition information ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Regular Expression: leading whitespace search?/ ("Eric")
  Re: I've downloaded the ISO file.  Now what do I do with it?  I've  burned a CD and
it won't boot with it. ("Mike Zanker")
  Re: (LESS HUGE) Re: Do I need Lilo to boot from a partition? ("Eric")
  Re: Netscape addressbook crashes browser ("Charles P. Koerner")
  Re: Linux system recovery (Ron Goodwyn)
  Re: Linux programming (Lew Pitcher)
  Re: Help - lost partition information ("Eric")
  Re: cross-posting (Lew Pitcher)

Subject: Re: Looking for a program to blank mouse cursor
From: Russell Marks <russell.marks@spam^H^H^H^Hntlworld.com>
Date: 09 Mar 2001 11:08:17 +0000

Stephen Anthony <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I'm looking for a program that will blank the mouse cursor after some
> predefined time, or even better, after a key is typed.

Try `unclutter'.

-Rus.

------------------------------

From: Frank Ranner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How to dd and untar remotely ?
Date: Fri, 09 Mar 2001 22:27:45 +1100

WONG SAI-KEE wrote:

> Weeks ago I asked how to backup via a tape drive on another linux
> PC.  I ended up with a simple solution:
>
>     tar clf - / --exclude /proc | rsh remote_host 'dd of=/dev/st0'
>
> Then I can restore the content via a local tape drive but not
> a remote one.  I found the dd doesn't work well even locally:
>
>     dd if=/dev/st0 | tar xf -
>
> the tar waits for 2nd volume.
>
> Anything wrong ?
>
> SK
Why not use the rmt package which is designed for this purpose?
Something like:
tar clf backup@remote_host:/dev/st0  / --exclude /proc

restore should be:

tar xvf backup@remote_host:/dev/st0

where remote_host is the box with the tape, backup is the userid. I
don't know
if root will work as the 'r' commands are a bit touchy about the root
id.

Anyway, this should serve as a starting point.

Good luck,
Frank Ranner

------------------------------

From: Stanislaw Flatto <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Netscape 4.75 icons turned black and white
Date: Fri, 09 Mar 2001 22:56:27 +1100

Dances With Crows wrote:

> On Thu, 8 Mar 2001 17:49:16 -0800, J Smith staggered into the Black Sun
> and said:
> >I have an unusual situation where all the icons in Netscape 4.75 turned
> >black and white, in Caldera 2.4 eDesktop and Corel, and in SUSE 7.0
> >
> >I did fresh installs after reformatting, and keep getting the same
> >result.
> >
> >Any idea why? is it a bad hard drive or CPU, perhaps?
> >
> >I can't go around trying different CPU's in my motherboard, and the
> >hard drive seems fto work fine, and no bad sectors after reloading
> >Windows and using Norton to check the hard drive.
> >
> >Help me, please.
>
> This is not a new problem.  It's coming up because Netscape can be very
> stupid about the X-server's color depth.  Netscape understands 1-bit,
> 8-bit, 16-bit, and 32-bit color depths, but panics and thinks that
> 24-bit color is 1-bit color, hence the B/W icons.
>
> This info has been on the SuSE FAQ site since before May 1999; did you
> check there?  The fix is to run SaX or XF86Setup or whatever and select
> 32-bit or 16-bit color depth.  This should actually speed up graphics
> operations as all the pixels will be aligned on word boundaries.
>
> --
> Matt G|There is no Darkness in Eternity/But only Light too dim for us to see
> Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /  Workin' in a code mine, hittin' Ctrl-Alt
> http://www.brainbench.com     /   Workin' in a code mine, whoops!
> -----------------------------/    I hit a seg fault....

Had this problem when running 8-bit color depth on S3-Virge.
Higher color depth resolved it.

Stanislaw.
Slack user from Ulladulla.

------------------------------

From: "Robert Schoenberg" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Help - lost partition information
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2001 13:28:15 +0100

Hi!
I tried to install Linux Mandrake parallel to my windows system. But the
installation procedure wasnīt that successful. Mandrake told me that it
needed a ramdisk followed by an error. When I tried to reboot, nothing
worked anymore. Using a windows start disk, fdisk only found one partition
called Ramdisk with about 2MB. Neither Linux nor Windows work anymore.
Is there any possibility to restore the old partition information, so that I
can at least use my windows systems to restore or safe my personal files.
The command fdisk /mbr didnīt work either.
Do you know any programs that could solve my problem?

Thanks for any help.

Robert

------------------------------

From: Jean-David Beyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: mouse pauses
Date: Fri, 09 Mar 2001 07:39:19 -0500

"Sudhakar R." wrote:

> Of late I have been having this irritating issue of my mouse pointer
> pausing while I move it around my desktop. This is certainly not due to
> load on my system 'coz it happens even when i have no apps open on my
> desktop. i run a 800 MHz P3 and i didn't have this problem until a while
> back.
>
> Does any have any clue as to what this cud be due to.

Lots of things could cause that, though with an 800MHz P3, most are
unlikely. Have you enough memory? Otherwise daemon processes might be
gobbling up your CPU cycles even though they are not open on your
desktop (updatedb on RedHat systems, for example, that update the
database for the locate command).

Another simpler problem I sometimes get is that my mechanical mouse
(with a rubber ball under it) just gets dirty inside. Have you
inspected it and, the case arising, cleaned it lately?

--
 .~.  Jean-David Beyer           Registered Linux User 85642.
 /V\                             Registered Machine    73926.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Help - lost partition information
Date: 9 Mar 2001 12:41:43 GMT

Robert Schoenberg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> needed a ramdisk followed by an error. When I tried to reboot, nothing
> worked anymore. Using a windows start disk, fdisk only found one partition
> called Ramdisk with about 2MB. Neither Linux nor Windows work anymore.

I think that the only way to solve the problem is to rebuild the
system's partition table. If you remember *exactly* the number and
size of each partition you can rebuild the table using fdisk, then
you should have your system back on-line. Of course, if you don't
remember the partition scheme that was on the machine... the only
way is reinstall from scratch (sic!).

Davide

------------------------------

From: Bernd Eggink <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: ISDN transmission hangs under 2.4.x
Date: 9 Mar 2001 12:41:13 GMT

Hi,

I encounter a strange behaviour of ssh or telnet sessions over ISDN
since upgrading to SuSE 7.1 (Kernel 2.4.x).

I'm using a 48x128 text console. Now if I run 'tin' on the remote host
and select a message, part of the screen (a half or so) is drawn pretty
quickly, then there is a short interval, and then the rest is drawn.
Mostly, that is! In quite a lot of cases _only_ the first part is drawn
and the rest isn't. Sometimes, but not always, a redraw request (^L)
helps. Pretty often I can only view part of message while the rest of
the screen remains blank.

This sucks a lot and is not tin specific, but also happens with vi and
the like. I guess it must be related to the 2.4 kernel, because after
booting the same system with 2.2.18, no such things happen.

Might that be a timing problem or something? Any ideas? I'm afraid if I
can't get that working, I'll have to go back to 2.2.18...

Regards,
Bernd

--
Bernd Eggink
Regionales Rechenzentrum der Uni Hamburg

------------------------------

From: "David Robinson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.networking,uk.comp.os.linux,alt.os.linux.suse,linux.redhat
Subject: Re: I've downloaded the ISO file.  Now what do I do with it?  I've  burned a
CD and it won't boot with it.
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2001 12:11:10 -0000

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> In the sacred domain of uk.comp.os.linux, Joe Bloggs
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> didnst hastily scribble thusly:
> > Your all wrong!!  Just go to the local newsagent and look along the
third shelf
> > for linux monthly....   hopefully on the cover of it will be a free copy
of Red
> > Hat all ready correctly burned for you to install. If its not there then
wait a
> > month...
>
> > Much easier no?
>
> Linux Monthly???
> Never heard of it.

Linux Monthly, that would be the one that suffers from bloat about one week
on four, everything is the fault of men and will rip out your spleen if you
type the wrong command.

------------------------------

From: "Robert Schoenberg" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2001 13:49:39 +0100

Thanks for you help. I really can`t remember the exact partition table. Does
it make any difference if I only need the first, the C: partition? There all
my data is stored. The other partitions were just mp3 files.
So, is there any way to recover the c: by using any size greater than it was
before? Just to syfe my files on another disk and then reformat the whole
disk.

Thanks.
Robert

98aj26$14aj3$[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Jean-David Beyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Netscape eats 100% CPU and hangs when viewing Java pages
Date: Fri, 09 Mar 2001 07:50:56 -0500

Prince wrote:

> I've seen a few posts on this one but I didn't see any conclusive solutions.
> wonder if someone could throw some light on this problem or direct me to an
> archive.
>
> Netscape hangs (consumes 100% CPU) when I view Java pages. I use RedHat6.2
> and
> have 320Mb Ram and Pentium III. I am able to consistently reproduce the
> problem on many web sites (for example the 'Game of the Day' link on
> www.merriam-webster.com). Initially I thought it was a RAM problem because
> all
> my 64MB would be consumed as well. I also read that netscape did not release
> the memory properly. I upgraded my RAM, but no luck.

I could find no "Game of the Day" link on the page you cited. I tried
"Word of the Day" with no problems. I have all Java stuff enabled in
Netscape 4.76 except JavaPlugin.

I read of many cases of Netscape's failure to release memory properly,
but have never noticed this on either of my machines. I have run one
since mid 1998, and this one since February 2000.

> The only way out for me is to kill the process (Incidentally does anyone
> know
> wy netscape opens two processess).

If you do not run named (bind) on your machine, Netscape spins off a
process named dns-helper to do name resolution. If you do run named on
your machine, you can have Netscape stop running dns-helper by adding
the lines:

MOZILLA_NO_ASYNC_DNS=1
export  MOZILLA_NO_ASYNC_DNS

to your ~/.bash_profile file. I assume you are running an up-to-date
version of Netscape, such as 4.76. (I tried Netscape 6.0 for about 1/2
hour and hated it, so I removed it from my machine.)

--
 .~.  Jean-David Beyer           Registered Linux User 85642.
 /V\                             Registered Machine    73926.
/( )\ Shrewsbury, New Jersey     http://counter.li.org
^^-^^ 7:40am up 6 days, 14:45, 3 users, load average: 3.22, 3.10, 2.92

------------------------------

From: Jean-David Beyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Mandrake Question - Simple
Date: Fri, 09 Mar 2001 07:58:35 -0500

Arthur Merar wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am real new to Linux.  I am running Mandrake 7.2.  I have some tape
> software and was told by the manufacturer to remove SMP support, which
> is automatically compiled into the kernel.

Of course, if you have an SMP machine (as I do), you should not even
consider this as you will be wasting all but one of your CPUs. So be
sure you do not have an SMP machine before doing this. In my view, the
manufacturer's software is defective if this is required.

> I have no clue on how to do this.  I've read a lot of things and FAQ's
> and HOW-TO's but I am still lost.   Can anyone give me a simple 1-2-3
> process to re-compile my kernel without SMP support?

You run

make config

in the /usr/src/linux-[your version here] directory and there should
be a question about SMP there. If that is too hard, consider

make menuconfig
make xconfig

This should all be in the /usr/src/linux-[your version here]/README.

--
 .~.  Jean-David Beyer           Registered Linux User 85642.
 /V\                             Registered Machine    73926.
/( )\ Shrewsbury, New Jersey     http://counter.li.org
^^-^^ 7:50am up 6 days, 14:55, 3 users, load average: 3.08, 2.99, 2.88

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: 9 Mar 2001 13:07:17 GMT

Robert Schoenberg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Thanks for you help. I really can`t remember the exact partition table.

..that was my fear...

> Does it make any difference if I only need the first, the C: partition?
> There all my data is stored. The other partitions were just mp3 files.
> So, is there any way to recover the c: by using any size greater than it was
> before?

No available backup I guess...

I'm not sure how your controller will handle that sort of information,
depending by the size of the partition the controller will try to locate
the information on the disk surface, and it will interpretate the
information inside directories and the like... since your data are
(more or less) screwed, I think you can try...if that work, you can save
some of your data, if not...it's the same as now...

Davide

------------------------------

From: "Eric" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Regular Expression: leading whitespace search?/
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2001 14:11:42 +0100

try the following

grep -v "^[[:space:]]*#" httpd.conf

the regexp matches any line starting with zero or more white-spaces followed
by a #

the -v reverts the operation, so the matched lines are blocked

Eric

------------------------------

From: "Mike Zanker" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2001 13:18:52 -0000

"Steve Doney" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:986eua$cbf$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > John Winters.  Wallingford, Oxon, England.
> >
> Any relation to the John Walters mentioned in one of the PC mags :-)

No, his name is Walters, not Winters :)

Mike
--
Mike Zanker, Northampton, UK

Replace 'abuse' with 'mike' for e-mail reply.

------------------------------

From: "Eric" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: (LESS HUGE) Re: Do I need Lilo to boot from a partition?
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2001 14:39:22 +0100

> >You could change this to boot=/dev/sdb
>
> I had it like that before, but it did not boot
> then either.  But I will try it again anyway.

The entire chain must be correct.
If you link several bootloaders in a chain, it's hard to say where it goes
wrong.
I have another idea for you, if you can, try to change the boot-order.
See if you can boot linux directly, without the intervention from
another OS's bootloader.
(You will get errors because some partitions are named incorectly in fstab,
but at least now you see how far you get that way)

> >>    Device Boot    Start       End    Blocks   Id  System
> >> /dev/sda1           519      1501   7895947+   5  Extended
> >
> >This is wrong.
> >When an extended partition crosses cyl. 1024, it must be of type 0x0F
> >If you do not change it, your data may get corrupted.
> >Changing it though may not be harmless either.
> >Try it, and if any of the other OS's fail, restore it, but then keep a
> >good back-up present.
>
> If you use Microsoft products you need to have 0x0F for them
> to properly recognize their extended partitions.  I have win98
> on sda but only in one primary partition.

And it doesn't use sda5?
Whenever you use it from win95, you may corrupt data.
If you leave it untouched, you may not have problems

> The reason I leave it
> at 0x05 is because I have OS/2 and two HPFS partitions in the extended
> partition.  OS/2 will flake out with 0x0F.  People blame this
> on IBM.  I don't know who's at fault.

I'd say IBM is to blame too.
It should at least know 0x0F as an extended partition type.

> Eventually I plan to move
> OS/2 into just one partition to get rid of this problem.  But OS/2
> will not see it's extended partitions if I change it.

Your risk. I handle partitiontables always with extreme care.
But I never used OS/2, so I never had to deal with this.

> >> /dev/sda2           262       518   2064352+   7  HPFS/NTFS
> >> /dev/sda3             2       261   2088450   16  Hidden FAT16
> >> /dev/sda4   *         1         1      8001    a  OS/2 Boot Manager
> >> /dev/sda5   *       519       582    514048+   6  FAT16
> >> /dev/sda6   *       583       735   1228941    7  HPFS/NTFS
> >> /dev/sda7   *       736       927   1542208+   7  HPFS/NTFS
> >> /dev/sda8   *       928      1501   4610623+  83  Linux
> >
> >Don't have multiple partitions set active.
> >The DOS MBR may get confused
> >(Well there's only one primary set active, so it will
> >most likely not fail)
>
> OS/2 boot manager may have done this or it could have
> been some other tool.  I had System Commander for awhile
> but I thought it sucked and took it off.  It messed with
> "stuff" too much.  I also use Partition Magic.  It may
> have done that too.  I don't know.  That's easy enough
> to change.
> >>
> >> Warning: /dev/sdb1 is not on the first disk
> >
> >You realise that this is true? How do you boot linux?
> >Through the OS/2 bootmanager I suppose, right.
> >Does that point to /dev/sdb1?
>
> I guess so.  As I said in a previous post.  I have 2.2.14
> kernel and it boots fine.  I want to use the 2.4.x kernels
> now though.

You're sure that you're looking at the right LILO code (not the old code)?
When you install the new kernel, you get "no setup signature found"
When exactly does this message appear?

> >I don't know the OS/2 bootmanager, but I suppose it points to
> >other partitions it can boot, in this case for linux it should be
> >pointing to /dev/sdb1 if you keep the lilo.conf as it is.
> >If you change the "boot=" directive, the OS/2 bootmanager
> >should point to /dev/sdb.
>
> /dev/sdb is the whole disk right?

Yes

> OS/2 bootmanager does
> not work that way AFAIK.  It needs to point to a partition.

Okay, than check where it points to, and don't change lilo.conf
(boot=/dev/sda won't help you then anyway)

------------------------------

From: "Charles P. Koerner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Netscape addressbook crashes browser
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2001 13:13:50 GMT

Similar problem:
When I click on an address in he address book, Netscape shuts down.
I can type in the address and no problem but getting something from the address
book shuts down Netscape.
It's only when I select the address and click "OK".
Any ideas?

From: Ron Goodwyn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux system recovery
Date: Fri, 09 Mar 2001 08:23:47 -0500

Jean,

What you are speaking of seems to be a decent solution.  HP provides a tool
make_recovery.
Other UNIX vendors like IBM provide similar tools.  When you create the tape, the tape
will
archive the entire contents of your system to tape, including the bootable portion.
I'm just
wondering if there is something like this for Linux yet.  This wouldn't necessarily be
"disaster recovery", but rather a method of restoring my system to it's initial state
using
the philosophy "Don't troubleshoot, just re-install".

--Ron

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Lew Pitcher)
Subject: Re: Linux programming
Date: Fri, 09 Mar 2001 13:52:57 GMT

On 9 Mar 2001 00:20:11 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Elf Sternberg) wrote:

>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>    [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Lew Pitcher) writes:
>
>>Direct access to the hardware must be done from the kernel, so the
>>code that accesses the hardware must work within the kernel. The
>>kernel doesn't support object instanciation, function-name mangling,
>>garbage-cleanup, or any of the other OO things that are inherent in
>>C++.
>
>        I thnk a lot of C++ gurus would be stunned to learn that C++ has
>any garbage collection whatsoever.

OK, so I'm not an OO programmer <g> I was thinking of things like
destructors here. Anyway, the key roadblock is name-mangling.

>Anyway, depending on the complexity
>of the needed driver, writing in C++ isn't that much of a big deal,
>although if one uses *inheritance* or *polymorphism* to construct a
>driver, they're probably way over-designing the thing.  Better to do
>your interim data structs as structs and do some standard C object based
>design.
>
>                Elf
>
>--
>Elf M. Sternberg, Immanentizing the Eschaton since 1988
>http://www.halcyon.com/elf/
>
>"You know how some people treat their body like a temple?
>     I treat mine like issa amusement park!" - Kei

Lew Pitcher
Information Technology Consultant
Toronto Dominion Bank Financial Group

([EMAIL PROTECTED])

From: "Eric" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2001 15:01:58 +0100

> Thanks for you help. I really can`t remember the exact partition table.
Does
> it make any difference if I only need the first, the C: partition? There
all
> my data is stored. The other partitions were just mp3 files.
> So, is there any way to recover the c: by using any size greater than it
was
> before? Just to syfe my files on another disk and then reformat the whole
> disk.

try to run gpart
You may be able to find your original partitiontable.
If the mandrake installation wrote more to the disk than just a
partitiontable, chances aren't very good though.

Eric

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Lew Pitcher)
Subject: Re: cross-posting
Date: Fri, 09 Mar 2001 14:09:20 GMT

On Fri, 09 Mar 2001 07:04:43 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Drew
Roedersheimer) wrote:

>On Fri, 9 Mar 2001 00:09:58 -0500, wroot wrote:
>>Drew Roedersheimer wrote:
>>
>>>And, please, don't
>>> crosspost like this in the future.
[snip]
>I'm not the netiquette cops or anything (and my apologies for sounding so
>cross about the whole matter), but here's my $0.02 on why crossposting is a
>bad idea.
>
>Sometimes it takes quite a while to answer questions... (not in this case,
>however)  And I have seen, many times, questions in crossposted NGs which
>were answered (in NGs I don't read regularly) well before I even began
>answering said question.  So, in that instance, I have wasted my time
>answering a question which someone else has already addressed...  Not
>saying that I'm not guilty of it myself, nor that you had crossposted to
>"illegitimate" NGs, but that's my reasoning behind saying such a thing...

What you describe is not crossposting, it's multi-posting.

Crossposting uses a facility of NNTP (and the servers that implement
NNTP) to send and store a single message, addressed to multiple
newsgroups. Only one copy of the message gets stored at the news
server, and all addressed groups read the same message. Replies are
populated as crossposts as well, so no matter which group you reply
in, the reply will be seen in _all_ the groups the original post was
posted to. The only exception here is if the post to which you reply
was sent with the "Followups to" header enabled, which causes all
replies to the message to post to the "followups to" newsgroup instead
of crossposting. Crossposting uses the same bandwidth and storage as
single posting.

OTOH, multiposting is the user technique of manually sending the same
message multiple times, each to a different newsgroup. Unless
"followups to" has been set on each, a reply to the message in one
group will *not* be populated to the other groups the message was sent
to. Multiposts waste bandwidth and storage and are both confusing and
annoying. This is what you were describing.

Rules of thumb

1) don't multipost when crossposting will do
2) don't crosspost when single posting will do
3) set "followups to" on multiposts and crossposts
4) read the RFC1855 "Netiquette Guidelines" before posting