From: Federico Bravo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: RH7.0 & USB
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2001 09:07:07 GMT

Hi. I'm running RH7.0 on an ASUS A7V motherboard based system. I've got
an USB scanner and SANE says 'no device available', although I followed
all the configuration issues. I know I should upgrade to kernel 2.4.x
(now I have 2.2.16-22 ) but I'm working on other things
and I don't want to mess the system up right now ( I'm sure I would...).
Does anyone have explanations for the following lines taken from dmesg:

usb.c: registered new driver usbdevfs
usb.c: registered new driver hub
usb-uhci.c: $Revision: 1.232 $ time 16:53:56 Aug 22 2000
usb-uhci.c: High bandwidth mode enabled
usb-uhci.c: USB UHCI at I/O 0xd400, IRQ 5
usb-uhci.c: Detected 2 ports
usb.c: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 1
usb.c: USB new device connect, assigned device number 1
hub.c: USB hub found
hub.c: 2 ports detected
usb-uhci.c: USB UHCI at I/O 0xd000, IRQ 5
usb-uhci.c: Detected 2 ports
usb.c: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 2
usb.c: USB new device connect, assigned device number 1
hub.c: USB hub found
hub.c: 2 ports detected
usb.c: USB new device connect, assigned device number 2
usb.c: This device is not recognized by any installed USBdriver.
<<<< what does this mean?
hub.c: already running port 2 disabled by hub (EMI?), re-enabling...
usb.c: USB disconnect on device 2
usb.c: USB new device connect, assigned device number 2
usb.c: This device is not recognized by any installed USB driver.
usb.c: USB new device connect, assigned device number 2
hub.c: USB hub found
hub.c: 4 ports detected
hub.c: already running port 2 disabled by hub (EMI?), re-enabling...
usb.c: USB disconnect on device 2
usb.c: USB new device connect, assigned device number 2
hub.c: USB hub found
hub.c: 4 ports detected

Is it a problem with my scanner, my configuration or RH7.0?

Thank you in advance.
Federico.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David Efflandt)
Subject: Re: ALSA HELP for Sony VAIO PCG-F430 Sound (Yamaha 744 PCI)
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2001 09:13:25 +0000 (UTC)

On Thu, 08 Mar 2001, Kaushik <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I have a Sony PCG-F430 as mentioned in the subject. I am trying to get
>my sound card to work under linux using the ALSA sound driver. ALSA does
>provide the module for this (ymfpci.o). But after compile, I am a little
>lost on how to enable the card in modules.conf.

I thought I was going to be able to help with Alsa, because SuSE 7.1 had
the Alsa modules configured for my F450, but I have not figured out how to
recompile the Alsa modules from rpm source (can't find gtk.h or gdk.h) for
a recompiled kernel and YaST2 seems to have deleted that setup from
/etc/modules.conf.  So for now I am using the oss free ymfpci kernel
module (I was using commercial oss modules in Mandrake 7.0).

You might check out the following:
http://www.linuxnewbie.org/nhf/intel/hardware/yamaha_alsa.html

See note at bottom of this msg.

>The README mentions stuff about OSS Free support and things like that.
>Anyone know what I need to do?
>
>I tried running sound setup using linux's "setup". The module it
>recogonizes is ymfsb.o

The 2.4.0 kernel has either ymfsb.o or ymfpci.o depending upon which
module you compile (ymfpci may not show up if you select ymfsb).  The oss
ymfpci.o does work for playing audio files and cd music, but there are no
kernel docs for it, so I do not know how to tell what is active (opl3 or
midi?) or if it also needs something else.  The sounds for startup and
shutdown of KDE2 do not work properly.

>This eventually doesn't work on boot-up. Instead it totally hangs my
>system. Has anyone set this up? Any help would be REALLY appreciated.

One important note regardless of module used, is that you have to disable
PnP BIOS in CMOS setup, otherwise sound will stutter or repeat.  I have
not found disabling this to be any problem for Windows.

--
David Efflandt  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  http://www.de-srv.com/
http://www.autox.chicago.il.us/  http://www.berniesfloral.net/

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David Efflandt)
Subject: Re: changing IP addresses
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2001 09:21:05 +0000 (UTC)

On 06 Mar 2001 20:16:53 GMT, Bill Tangren <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>If I want to change my Linux box from IP address 10.1.5.12 to 10.1.5.13, and
>the server name from server1.myaddy.com to server2.myaddy.com, what needs to be
>changed?
>
>I used netcfg to change servername and IP address, but when I reboot, I find
>that my httpd server is no longer working properly. Before the change,
>/etc/init.d/httpd started the httpd daemon, and read the
>/etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf file correctly. After the change, the daemon starts,
>but it is most definitely NOT reading this conf file. The default root
>directory changes, and I can no longer see my web pages! What am I doing wrong?

Did you add the new name and IP to /etc/hosts so programs (like apache or
sendmail) during boot can find themselves (your hostname).  Alternately
you could assign your name to an unused loopback IP (like 127.0.0.2) so
things will at least work locally before networking is up.  I have to do
this with my hostname because it is for my static ppp IP and I am not
always connected.  Of course other boxes on your LAN should refer to your
LAN IP for that name (in DNS, /etc/hosts or \windows\hosts).

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
Subject: Re: Any ILS (Netmeeting) servers on FreeBSD or Linux?
Date: 10 Mar 2001 09:27:04 GMT

In comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc Mark Jeghers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> The title says it all.  Cannot afford Micro$oft.

I'd go with mbone tools. It's in the ports

And in contrast to netmeeting it is scalable and follows some standards.

( mbone stuff is available in M$ too)

--
Peter Håkanson               Phone     +46707328101       Fax +4631223190
IPSec sverige                Email      [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "Alan Fleming" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: problems with X
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2001 10:05:44 -0000

Hi.  I successfully re-installed linux WITH both gnome and KDE present.  I
ran the xf86config program, and all went well (except my video card was not
there - an ISA Tseng Labs et4000 - so I tried both SVGA and some other board
with the same chipset).  However, when I run startx, I get the message:
execve: errno 2
...or something similar.  Error no 2 is correct tho.  What does this mean?
I'm great in dos, perl, and windows, but the linux console is doin' my nut!
I'd really like to have SOME sort of GUI for me to use, until I get to grips
with it.

Thanx again
Alan

------------------------------

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Netscape eats 100% CPU and hangs when viewing Java pages
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2001 10:26:43 GMT

Jean-David Beyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I never got SysRq to work, since I do not know how to get it to give
> me enough control to activate it. Apparently the trick is to

If you mean magic-sysreq, it's compiled in the kernel, and the
sequence is ctrl-alt-sysreq-s (for sync). Then -i for kill
large numbers of tasks. Then -u for remounting all your partitions
readonly. -b for reboot (fast!). Etc.

> anticipate the lockup and do have at set it off afterwards.

Mmm ... possibly. Netscape can't lock the kernel, so you should be OK
anyway.

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Mandrake Question - Simple
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2001 10:36:46 GMT

Robert Wiegand <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Jean-David Beyer"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>>> You need to login as root to build a kernel.
>> It seems to me that you should need to be root only to INSTALL a kernel.
>> Anyone with permission to write in /usr/src/linux-[release] should be able to
>> build one.

> At least on my Mandrake system the only one with permission to write to
> /usr/src/linux is root. So you either need to be root or change the
> permissions.

And no, you don't need to be root (in the large sense).  Sudo exists!

We are trying to say "don't log in as root". Get your thrills another
way.

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2001 10:36:46 GMT

Jean-David Beyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Robert Wiegand wrote (in part):
>> You need to login as root to build a kernel.

> It seems to me that you should need to be root only to INSTALL a
> kernel. Anyone with permission to write in /usr/src/linux-[release]
> should be able to build one.

Indeed. People with sudo permission can do "sudo make bzImage modules
install install_modules" too. (and they should do the installs another
way anyhow)

From: "Tauno Voipio" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: BootBlock !! ?
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2001 11:22:10 GMT

""shalini jain"" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> hello,
>
> can anyone tell us where to look for the boot block when we have the
address of Linux partition and how to locate the superblock and the block
groups ?

The boot block of a partition is the first block of the partition.

For looking inside the ext2 filesystem, see the ext2ed documentation. Also,
a good source is the book (chap. 17):

Daniet P. Bovet & Marco Cesati, Understanding the Linux Kernel, O'Reilly,
ISBN 0-596-00002-2

Tauno Voipio
tauno voipio @ iki fi

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.lang.tcl,comp.lang.perl.misc
Subject: Re: Tk based alarm clock
Date: 10 Mar 2001 11:18:58 GMT

According to * Tong *  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
:I'm planing to write a Tk based alarm clock

What do you mean by 'alarm clock'?  I can envision at least two meanings
for this.

1. I set a time, either once or on a repeating basis, and at that time,
some kind of indicator (email, flashing, bell, etc.) indicates the time
has been reached.  This could, of course, be extended to multiple
alarms.  The idea here is that it is an every day type event, relatively
'blind'.

2. Some sort of 'reminder' mechanism by which I set indicators across a
calendar that a particular appointment has been reached.  This is more
oriented towards one time events, with support of the repeating event
as well.

In other words, the first is sort of a visual cron type mechanism, where the
second is more along the lines of a visual at type mechanism.

At one time the following program was available - check to see if something
similar to what you wanted is present...

What: Remind
Where: <URL: http://www.doe.carleton.ca/%7Edfs/>
        and Hebrew calendars, sunrise, sunset and moon phases,
        is multilingual, does complicated date calculations (handling
        holidays propers), alarms, includes a WWW calendar server, and produces
        PostScript output.  Uses Tk for an X front end.
        Available for UNIX, MS-DOS, OS/2 and other platforms.
Updated: 06/2000
Contact: <URL: mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]> (David F. Skoll)

"See, he's not just anyone ... he's my son."  Mark Schultz

From: Steve <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: login problem
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2001 11:57:54 GMT

Steve wrote:

> Hello,
> something strange is happening on my linux box (kernel 2.4.1). Don't know
> when it started but I have a login problem which prevents me to login in
> the console. Machine starts kdm and I can login through it but when I try
> to login on the console it says password incorrect (which I removed with
> passwd). Could be an utmp problem? I say this cause when I try to login in
> a xterm (doing login command) I get "Unable to determine your tty name"
> and when I issue the who command nobody appears to be in the system.
> What's happening? I have libc 2.1 and upgraded recently to the openssl
> routines.

Well I have discovered something:
when I login no login name seems to be passed to the system. Infact log is
showing that user 'UNKNOWN' is giving the wrong password! Even if I try
with another user it's the same.

------------------------------

From: "Mortimer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: ak.os.linux,alt.comp.linux,alt.linux,ar.linux,at.linux
Subject: Re: Hard Drive
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2001 16:32:54 +0200

Forgive me if im wrong, but cant you just change the jumper settings on the
back of the hdd, and/or make shure the ide cable is in the correct cabel 2
the IDE?
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: Jean-David Beyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Switching To Linux From Windows
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2001 07:38:28 -0500

Harlan Grove wrote (in part):

> Think of the thousands of man-hours that's already gone into StarCalc,
> Applix Spreadsheet, KSpread and gnumeric and still none are quite up to
> the level of Excel. And you're telling a likely novice programmer to
> roll their own?!

If my experience, and that of my Microsoft Office using friends at the
novice level are typical, they nowhere anywhere nearly use all the
features of Excel. So while gnumeric may not go far enough for their
needs (missing XIRR function for investment types, for example),
Applix spreadsheets is just fine for me, and I can import Excel
spreadsheets unless they have Visual Basic and such stuff embedded in
them. Likewise Applix words can import Microsoft Word documents just
fine, provided that the person running Word disabled the "fast save"
option that writes corrupt .doc files that only the latest version of
Microsoft Word can read anyway. Applix has a substitute for
PowerPoint, but I have not needed to do any presentations since I
started running Linux in 1998, so I have not tried it.

I have used Excel, Word, Powerpoint, and tried to use Access in the
Microsoft Office Professional suite without success (I now use IBM's
DB2 instead). Even though I have those 2" thick expensive Running
books from Microsoft Press, I find the interfaces to those programs
too illogical to learn (although I can manage to do stuff with them if
I must). I prefer my features to be a well thought out orthogonal (in
the mathematical sense) set of features, rather than a bunch of "nifty
features" all thrown together in a way that I cannot remember even
though I have those four fat books.

--
 .~.  Jean-David Beyer           Registered Linux User 85642.
 /V\                             Registered Machine    73926.

------------------------------

From: Wayne Collins <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Regular Expression: leading whitespace search?/
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2001 12:42:11 GMT

kellyboy wrote:

> It maybe an idiotic question....but here goes
>
> I use ...
>
>    grep ^[^#] httpd.conf
>
> ....to look at file with comment line removed... that might look like
> this......
>
> -blah blah blah
> -# comment blah line
> -blah blah
>
> ............becomes:
>
> -blah blah blah
> -blah blah
>
> ................the comment line is removed with grep above...but
>
> -blah blah blah
> -# comment blah line 1
> -      # comment blah line 2
> -blah blah
>
> becomes:
>
> -blah blah blah
> -      # comment blah line 2
> -blah blah
>
> ...........the second comment line is not removed because the
> space/tab/whitespace/<whateveryoucallit> is the first 'character' not '#" so
> it doesnt match "  ^[^#]  "
>
> what grep command do I use to removed those comments that begin with #
> (including those whitespace that preceeds '#'?
>
> thanks
>
> kellyboy
>
> --
> ----
> replace "nospanner" with "tcac.net" in my address

perl -ne 'print unless ($_ =~ /^\s*#/)' http.conf

------------------------------

From: Jean-David Beyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2001 07:42:51 -0500

"Peter T. Breuer" wrote:

> Jean-David Beyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > I never got SysRq to work, since I do not know how to get it to give
> > me enough control to activate it. Apparently the trick is to
>
> If you mean magic-sysreq, it's compiled in the kernel, and the
> sequence is ctrl-alt-sysreq-s (for sync). Then -i for kill
> large numbers of tasks. Then -u for remounting all your partitions
> readonly. -b for reboot (fast!). Etc.

When my X Window System locks up, usually (if not always) as a result
of some Netscape problem), it is so locked up that it ignores the
keyboard and mouse completely. Thus, typing any sequence whatever is
futile. The only way into the system at that point is by running ssh
from my other machine over the LAN. Fortunately, that always works
unless the machine really crashed.

--
 .~.  Jean-David Beyer           Registered Linux User 85642.
 /V\                             Registered Machine    73926.
/( )\ Shrewsbury, New Jersey     http://counter.li.org
^^-^^ 7:40am up 7 days, 14:45, 3 users, load average: 1.03, 1.04, 1.16

------------------------------

From: Jean-David Beyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: memory management
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2001 07:45:12 -0500

Mihai Cartoaje wrote:

> also sprach Jean-David Beyer:
>
> > I do not know why there is a difference, but the chances are that the
> > difference is in the amount of buffer or disk cache space used. Since
> > the Linux kernel manages these, and tends to keep such space occupied,
> > I suppose that RedHat has used more IO buffers or more disk cache
> > space in coming up than Slackware did.
>
> I did not mention this in my last post, but the numbers I quoted were
> from the +/- buffers/cache column. Isn't free supposed to substract the
> memory used from buffers and add the memory used for cache in this
> column?

I have no idea; I never run 'free'. I use either top or xosview.

From: Jean-David Beyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: bind, bind8, bind9
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2001 07:52:27 -0500

Steve Wolfe wrote:

> > Time for another question.  I have read about some diff between bind &
> > bind8 as in sys V and bsd; SuSE 7.1 now has bind9 available and a much
> > larger rpm file.  Of course there are conflicts between bind and bind8
> > and I do expect to see notification of conflicts with bind if I try to
> > install bind9 (bind8 and bindutil were uninstalled).
> >
> > Does bind9 do some magical things???
>
>   They all do magical things - like allowing easy root access to most anyone
> that wants it.  You're better off with a secure DNS server such as djbdns.

Well, you can set up bind 8.2.3 and later (perhaps earlier, too) to
run as any user (e.g., named) and any group (e.g., named) and run it
in a chroot environment (e.g., /var/named) which greatly reduces the
things it can do even if some cracker successfully attacks it. My
startup file in /etc/rc.d/init.d/named starts it up thus:

  start)
        # Start daemons.
        echo -n "Starting named: "
        daemon named -u named -g named -t /var/named
        RETVAL=$?
        [ $RETVAL -eq 0 ] && touch /var/lock/subsys/named
        echo
        ;;

You must do a little preparation to get this to work. I believe just
changing your named file in init.d to have the -u named and putting an
ordinary user into /etc/passwd named named will get you a lot of the
protection; i.e., named no longer runs as root.

This was described in "Linux Journal" a few months ago. It is also
briefly described in "DNS and BIND" by Albitz and Liu (the "Cricket
book"), and in a Howto or something on the www.
--
 .~.  Jean-David Beyer           Registered Linux User 85642.
 /V\                             Registered Machine    73926.
/( )\ Shrewsbury, New Jersey     http://counter.li.org
^^-^^ 7:45am up 7 days, 14:50, 3 users, load average: 1.07, 1.05, 1.11

------------------------------

From: Jean-David Beyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: CD automount broke
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2001 08:02:10 -0500

Charles Sutherland wrote (in part):

> I have RedHat 7.  I recently upgraded to Helix-Gnome or Ximian as they
> like to be called.  I'm not sure if that had anything to do with it, but
> that was the latest major change.
>
> Well, now (and I'm not sure exactly when it happened) automound of the CD
> drive just stopped working.  A symlink to the CD popped up on my desktop
> which I can click to mount the cdrom, but the whole wonderful gnomish
> thing of popping in a CD and having the symlink show up doesn't work
> anymore.  I'm sure I've done something silly, but I can't for the life of
> me figure out what that is.

I went to a lot of trouble to disable this feature on my Red Hat Linux
6.2.3 system. The reason is that when I wish to play a music CD, I
play it on my stereo system and not my computer. I have a bottom of
the line set of speakers on this machine, mainly so that I can hear
Blue Mountain greeting cards, and the bings and boings of my TIK AIM
substitute. That does not require expensive speakers; in fact, mine
are powered off most of the time. And when I put CD-ROMs in the drive,
I want to be in control of them.

Furthermore, when it was automounting like that, I got an entry every
second in the dmesg ring (or whatever it was called) and lots of
entries in my /var/log/messages files stating that the status of the
IDE #3 device (or something like that) had changed, even though
nothing was changing in the CD-ROM. Likewise, IRQ 14 (CD-ROM) of my
machine went off every second (as revealed by xosview).

I finally went to the GNOME Control Center Peripheral Settings area
for the CD-ROM (once I figured out that that was what was causing the
trouble) and turned all that stuff off. Perhaps you should go there
and turn it all on, if that is what you want. If your system runs like
mine, you better not need the output of dmesg because it will fill up
with this crap, and you better be sure logrotate is running or
/var/log/messages will fill up fast.

--
 .~.  Jean-David Beyer           Registered Linux User 85642.
 /V\                             Registered Machine    73926.
/( )\ Shrewsbury, New Jersey     http://counter.li.org
^^-^^ 7:50am up 7 days, 14:55, 3 users, load average: 1.09, 1.06, 1.09