From: "Emi80" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: HELP installation linux mandrake
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2001 13:25:08 GMT

I've tried to install linux mandrake 7.2 but when the installation procedure
starts to install the packages, I've some error with the package "tmpwatch".
I've tried with another CD of linux mandrake 7.2 but I,ve the same error.
I've tried to deselect this package but I can't beacause It's one of the
undeselectable package.

Someone knows what is the problem?

From: "Steve Doney" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.networking,uk.comp.os.linux,alt.os.linux.suse,linux.redhat
Subject: Re: I've downloaded the ISO file.  Now what do I do with it?  I've  burned a
CD and it won't boot with it.
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2001 13:43:29 -0000

"Mike Zanker" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:98al6k$n80$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> "Steve Doney" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:986eua$cbf$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>
> > > John Winters.  Wallingford, Oxon, England.
> > >
> > Any relation to the John Walters mentioned in one of the PC mags :-)
>
> No, his name is Walters, not Winters :)
>
> Mike
> --
> Mike Zanker, Northampton, UK

My apologies to both John Winters & John Walters then. Thought it was a typo
that would amuse John (Winters that is).

Steve

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rod Smith)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Re: Question: setup cable modem, Linux and Windows
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2001 14:07:06 -0000

In article <o2%p6.16582$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        "Chris" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> John Dubchak <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> I've purchased a Linksys Router/Hub with the capacity to act as a hardware
>> firewall, along with necessary ethernet cards for the Windows and Linux
>> machine as well.
>
> a cleaner and cheaper way would be just to put 2 ethernet cards on ur linux
> machine... one for ur cable modem and one for the windows machine.

This is also much less secure. A mistake in the Linux firewall
configuration or a bug in Linux lets others into the system. Given that
this is an existing Linux system we're talking about, chances are it's
being used for something, so it'll have lots of stuff on it that an
intruder would find useful. A dedicated hardware router, by contrast, is
easier to configure and therefore more difficult to MIS-configure, and
it has little or nothing on it that can be used by an intruder to do
more damage. Further, the dedicated hardware router can easily be left
on at all times; using a Linux box as a router requires that it be up
whenever the Windows system should access the Internet, which might not
be convenient.

--
Rod Smith, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.rodsbooks.com

------------------------------

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Netscape eats 100% CPU and hangs when viewing Java pages
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2001 14:55:04 +0100

Jean-David Beyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> "Peter T. Breuer" wrote:
>>
>> Jean-David Beyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> > I never got SysRq to work, since I do not know how to get it to give
>> > me enough control to activate it. Apparently the trick is to
>>
>> If you mean magic-sysreq, it's compiled in the kernel, and the
>> sequence is ctrl-alt-sysreq-s (for sync). Then -i for kill
>> large numbers of tasks. Then -u for remounting all your partitions
>> readonly. -b for reboot (fast!). Etc.

> When my X Window System locks up, usually (if not always) as a result
> of some Netscape problem), it is so locked up that it ignores the
> keyboard and mouse completely. Thus, typing any sequence whatever is

I don't believe it can ignore the keyboard. What kernel are you
running? The keyboard driver is in the kernel and can't be intercepted
in software .. I think the kernel passes the requests somehow to the X
userspace driver, but I don't have a clue how. But I am fairly certain
that the userspace driver can't displace the kernel one. I thought that
the keyboard sends an interrupt and the code entered in the appropriate
interrupt vector location gets to treat it. That must be a kernel
bottom half handler routine (caveat: I am not and have no intention of
becoming a graphics  programmer or expetr).

> futile. The only way into the system at that point is by running ssh
> from my other machine over the LAN. Fortunately, that always works
> unless the machine really crashed.

It's puzzling. sysreq is really low level.

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux and Windows
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2001 14:59:10 +0100

Onebest1 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Thanks for your help.. now that I've decided to get Linux, what is the
> best version for a newbie who also wants Windows too?

Mmmm .. fortunately for you, microsoft have produced a version called
"windows for linux 2001" which runs in an x-nest window across x. It
provides authentic look at feel. Try and get hold of it at your local
walmart.

You can have any number of o/s's on your computer. Your question is
meaningless. They don't interfere.

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: upgrading suse 7.0 to 2.4.2
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2001 15:02:49 +0100

Wong Ching Kuen Frederick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> "Jan Hackel" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> news:98a7pl$1504u$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> > i compile as usual, and then make dep, make bzImage, make modules, make
>> > modules_install. however, after the system reboot, it says that mod_probe
>> > cannot find the modules?! why?! i am sure they are compiled and install.
>> > moreover, i find out that the structure of /lib/modules/2.2.16 is different
>> > from that of 2.4.2. is this the cause?! any help will be appreciated.
>>
>> Perhaps you will have to update your modutils. You may get them here:
>> http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/kernel/modutils/v2.4/
>>
> i have upgraded the modutils to latest version also. is there any other
> reason for this?

No. Now it's entirely your own fault.

Upgrading modutils (and the rest of the stuff noted in the CCchanges
file) is all you have to do. Run depmod and be happy.

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2001 15:01:07 +0100

Wong Ching Kuen Frederick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> i compile as usual, and then make dep, make bzImage, make modules, make
> modules_install. however, after the system reboot, it says that mod_probe
> cannot find the modules?! why?! i am sure they are compiled and install.
> moreover, i find out that the structure of /lib/modules/2.2.16 is different
> from that of 2.4.2. is this the cause?! any help will be appreciated.

Read the INSTRUCTIONS.

In particular, the Changes file.

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Need file from RPM
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2001 15:12:23 +0100

Runu Knips <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I need to get a file from a ".rpm" archive. Unfortunately, it
> is a RPM 4.0 format archive, which my system is unable to read.
> I only need this single file and I don't at all want to install
> it into my system. After a hell of problems I succeeded to
> compile rpm 4.0 from the sources from ftp.rpm.org, but now I
> didn't gained anything. It wants a database, but for creating a
> database it wants a package, and all I want to have is no
> database but THAT DAMNED FILE IN THAT RPM !!!!

> Does anyone know a tool to extract files from a RPM ? Thank
> you VERY much in advance !!!

Use rpm2cpio.

Congratulatiosn .. now imagine what I had to do to reverse engineer rpm
when it first appeared years and years ago, with supposedly open code.
Yeah, code open, semantics obscured. Just to be able to read rpm's on
my slackware system ..

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Multiple X Servers on Caldera?
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2001 15:10:31 +0100

Martin Collins <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I want to start a second X session from another login on my Caldera 2.4
> system.
> But X says there's already a session on Display 0 which is correct. It
> should then try to
> start a session for :1.0 , but it doesn't.

> Can anyone give me a hint where to look?

         X :1

(or :2 ...)

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: bind, bind8, bind9
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2001 15:14:41 +0100

Jean-David Beyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Well, you can set up bind 8.2.3 and later (perhaps earlier, too) to
> run as any user (e.g., named) and any group (e.g., named) and run it
> in a chroot environment (e.g., /var/named) which greatly reduces the

Interesting. But how does it access the domain port? That's below 1024.
So root processes are the only ones allowed there.

> things it can do even if some cracker successfully attacks it. My
> startup file in /etc/rc.d/init.d/named starts it up thus:

>   start)
>         # Start daemons.
>         echo -n "Starting named: "
>         daemon named -u named -g named -t /var/named

Interesting. I'll try that.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rod Smith)
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2001 14:30:43 -0000

[Posted and mailed]

In article <98aogs$dpm$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        "Martin Collins" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> Hi,
>
> the solution is definitely simple. I just can't see.
>
> I want to start a second X session from another login on my Caldera 2.4
> system.
> But X says there's already a session on Display 0 which is correct. It
> should then try to
> start a session for :1.0 , but it doesn't.

Try the following command:

startx -- :1 vt8

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rod Smith)
Subject: Re: Linux 2.4 and NTFS
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2001 14:34:15 -0000

[Posted and mailed]

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Andre Kostur) writes:
> Does anybody know how to mount an NTFS volume set under Linux (read-only is
> fine for our purposes)?  I've found an old patch, but it's against 2.3.18,
> and the low-level functions have changed quite a bit since then (and I
> haven't really looked at how to modify it for 2.4)?

There's no need to patch the kernel; NTFS support exists in kernels
since sometime in the 2.0.x series, IIRC, if not earlier. Some
distributions (such as Red Hat) don't ship with NTFS support compiled,
though, so you may need to recompile the kernel, or at least that one
module.

Note that the NTFS read/write support exists, but is reportedly VERY
unstable, particularly with Windows 2000 (NTFS 5) partitions. In fact,
the 2.4 kernel detects NTFS 5 partitions and disables read/write access
even if you specify it on the mount command line. Read-only support is
much more reliable.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rod Smith)
Subject: Re: RH7.0 & USB
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2001 14:38:12 -0000

[Posted and mailed]

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        Federico Bravo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> Hi. I'm running RH7.0 on an ASUS A7V motherboard based system. I've got
> an USB scanner and SANE says 'no device available', although I followed
> all the configuration issues. I know I should upgrade to kernel 2.4.x
> (now I have 2.2.16-22 ) but I'm working on other things
> and I don't want to mess the system up right now ( I'm sure I would...).
> Does anyone have explanations for the following lines taken from dmesg:
> usb.c: USB new device connect, assigned device number 2
> usb.c: This device is not recognized by any installed USBdriver.
> <<<< what does this mean?

It means that the driver doesn't recognize the device. If you only have
a scanner connected, chances are you either don't have USB scanner
support compiled into the kernel, or the scanner isn't a supported
model.

Check on http://www.linux-usb.org for a list of supported hardware. The
last time I checked, fewer than half the scanners listed worked without
glitches via SANE. If you continue to have problems and post again, be
sure to include the make and model of scanner you're trying to use.

From: Young4ert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: xplaymidi vs. AC97 V2.1 CODEC Compliant
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2001 15:06:04 GMT

Hi,

My Linux system is composed of an Asus K7M mobo with an AMD Athlon CPU and
it is setup with SuSE-.70 Pro Linux distro.  The audio hardware system is
based on the Analog Device 3D sound chipset (I believe the chipset is
AD1881) and it is an AC97 V2.1 CODEC compliant.  I also have installed
rosegarden-2.1pl2 software and I would like to be able to play the midi
file while I am using the rosegarden to create/type in the notes.  I
realized that the rosegarden software requires xplaymidi and my Linux
system does not seem to have installed a copy of playmidi software.  A
search through SuSE' FTP site yielded nothing about playmidi source code.
Then, I found a copy of the playmidi-2.4.src.rpm source off the
ftp.redhat.com site and just downloaded, compiled, and installed playmidi
package.  It looked just fine; however, when I tried to manually play a
midi song using xplaymidi, it complained "could not find the midi device"
even though I have manually told it to use /dev/midi, i.e. xplaymidi -D
/dev/midi song-title.midi.  When I looked at the playmidi.c source code, it
does not seem to have any AD1881 chipset support.  I am wondering if anyone
has managed to run playmidi on an ASUS K7M under Linux and would like to
lend his/her hand to help me out.

TIA.

------------------------------

From: pagefault <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Superblock could not be read ...
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2001 15:19:13 GMT

Julian So wrote:

> > I fsck'd all the partitions and rebooted. No joy; I get the same
> > message. I e2fsck -b (8193*n)-n and finally managed to get it to work
> > with e2fsck -b 32768. However, I still get the same error message at
>
> Ehm, that should be 8192*n+1 and 32769.

  Hmmm; yes or no.. not that it seems to matter in this case
  since the partition fs 'seems' to be otherwise ok.

  check man mke2fs:
  Since 2.2 the 1+(8192*n) NOW means fewer alternate superblocks
  for everyone out there who may have missed this switcharOOOOh!
  The sparse_super switch is default ON and you get many fewer
  alternate superblocks, depending on disk size unless you override
  when making the fs. I didn't know this until just recently when I
  managed to recover (thanks generous help) a large ext2 data
  partition gone bad.

  The general formula is still valid but does not imply every
  multiple of 8192 anymore.

  Are yu SURE that e2fsk restored the fs?  If it did then you
  might get at it (and to fstab) via some rescue. Worst case
  scenario is a reinstall, but before that you might be able to
  recover the partition(s) from another installation on another
  drive or by putting it into someone else's machine.

  Depends on what you have on there, don't give up too soon!

--
==============================
CounterSpam:

------------------------------

From: Federico Bravo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2001 15:41:09 GMT

Rod Smith wrote:

> > usb.c: This device is not recognized by any installed USBdriver.
> > <<<< what does this mean?
>
> It means that the driver doesn't recognize the device. If you only have
> a scanner connected, chances are you either don't have USB scanner
> support compiled into the kernel, or the scanner isn't a supported
> model.
>
> Check on http://www.linux-usb.org for a list of supported hardware. The
> last time I checked, fewer than half the scanners listed worked without
> glitches via SANE. If you continue to have problems and post again, be
> sure to include the make and model of scanner you're trying to use.

Right, since I use modules instead of recompiling the kernel I suppose that
those lines from dmesg are a normal conseguence. Then I try with 'modprobe
scanner' but still can't use XSane. lsmod gives me the following:

Module                  Size  Used by
ide-cd                 23632   0  (autoclean)
parport_probe           3428   0  (autoclean)
parport_pc              7464   1  (autoclean)
lp                      5416   0  (autoclean)
parport                 7312   1  (autoclean) [parport_probe parport_pc lp]
lockd                  31176   1  (autoclean)
sunrpc                 52964   1  (autoclean) [lockd]
ppp                    20236   0  (autoclean) (unused)
slhc                    4504   0  (autoclean) [ppp]
es1371                 25920   0
soundcore               2596   4  [es1371]
usb-uhci               19052   0  (unused)
usbcore                42088   1  [scanner usb-uhci]

which I suppose should be fine.
I have only one USB device connected, and it is a HP Scanjet 3400C.

Can I tell from the above that my scanner is not supported? Maybe upgrading
to 2.4 would be useless, then.

Thanks for your kind advice
Federico.

------------------------------

From: "Martin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.hardware,linux.redhat.misc,redhat.config,redhat.general,redhat.hardware.arch.intel
Subject: Re: HELP - Dual Input Monitor
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2001 15:46:21 GMT

I am currently working on the second variant (Matrox G450 dual head on RH7).
It is quite a hazzle.
According to Matrox you need first to install XFree86 4.0.2 (not included in
RH7 yet). Then get a new driver mga.o and install it.
You will have to modify the X configuration files.

I would be interested in any help on that myself.

Thanks
Martin

"Michael Meissner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> "Jeff Gentry" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > Hello All,
> >
> > I am researching dual input monitors.
> > I will soon be upgrading to RedHat 7.0 on an Intel x86 host
> > platform due to project constraints.
> > I have limited work space but a generous equipment budget.
> > Can someone tell me if RedHat will support dual input monitors?
> > If so, can I get the vendor and model numbers for the video card(s)
> > and monitor?
>
> I don't know what you mean by dual input monitors.  I imagine it could
either
> mean monitors that take 2 separate inputs from different computers, or you
mean
> having one computer drive 2 monitors.
>
> The first case is purely hardware, and Linux wouldn't notice whether or
not
> another box is connected to the same monitor or not.  If this is case, I
would
> suggest you look at a KVM (keyboard, video, mouse switcher) instead of
just
> switching the monitor, because you still need 2 keyboards, and 2 mice.
Sooner
> or later, you will have one system showing on the monitor in front of you,
and
> type on the other keyboard or mouse.  You definately want an electronic
KVM and
> not a mechanical switch.  Prices are $150 - $1000 depending on features.
Also,