From: Jean-David Beyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: A Better Web Browser...PLEASE!
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2001 20:46:27 -0500

Steve Withers wrote (in part):

> If anything is going to drive me back to Windowss it is *&%^$ Netscape.
>
> I have both V6.0 and v4.75 installed on my RH Linux 7.0 system (kernel
> 2.4.1) and they are both....in a word...SHIT.
>
> I have "kill-9" permanently in my command line buffer.....Netscape craps
> out usually within 10-15 minutes of active use. What happens MOST often
> with Netscape 6.0 is that links cease to be active. Nothing reacts to a
> mouse click. It may aswell have crashed....and when I do a PS-A...I see
> about 20 Java VMs all stacked up. Eh?

I wonder why some users have so much trouble with Netscape and others,
relatively little. I run Netscape 4.76 these days, but the earlier
ones, too, back to about 4.0.6 or something. They do crash a lot, a
couple of times a day, usually., but I would estimate the MTBF at
about 4 hours or so, not 10 to 15 minutes. Furthermore, I have not had
problems of runaway memory consumption reported by many. I run with
all of Java except Java Plugin enabled, though I do not suppose I get
a lot of it from the sites I visit.

I tried Netscape 6.0 for about a half hour, and its interface reminded
me too much of AOL on a friend's Windows 98 box and I could not stand
it. I could not figure out how to activate a bunch of features and I
gave it up and deleted it. So I do not know if links went dead or not.

I wonder why some people have so much trouble with Netscape, and
others get relatively few problems with it.

--
 .~.  Jean-David Beyer           Registered Linux User 85642.
 /V\                             Registered Machine    73926.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Subject: Re: What format is this file and how I decode it?
Date: 11 Mar 2001 01:42:45 GMT

On Sat, 10 Mar 2001 21:39:25 +0100, The Spook staggered into the Black
Sun and said:

>[EMAIL PROTECTED] skrev i meddelelsen ...
>-- Cut --
>>HTTP/1.1 200 OK
>>Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2001 01:11:34 GMT
>>Server: Apache/1.2.4
>>Connection: close
>>
>>.snd^@^@^@^X^@^@J|^@^@^@^A^@^@^_@^@^@^@^Aÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ
>>ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþ
>>ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ^?ÿÿÿÿÿþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþ
>>ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþ
>>

>> The problem is how to get the sound file from it - it's not
>> for uudecode, file does not recognize it, so how do I use it?
>>
>> thanks, George.
>
>This is probably a file in the Sun soundformat -- I know very little about
>Linux and sound, so I cannot help with the secodn part of your question,
>alas.

See if you can get sox to recognize it.  After you trim the stuff from
HTTP/1.1 to Content-Type from the file, if you can do a "cat file >
/dev/audio" and hear something rational, it's in Sun .au format.  sox
can convert Sun audio into just about any sound format you desire.

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /  Workin' in a code mine, hittin' Ctrl-Alt
http://www.brainbench.com     /   Workin' in a code mine, whoops!
=============================/    I hit a seg fault....

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Subject: Re: video editing
Date: 11 Mar 2001 01:42:46 GMT

On Sat, 10 Mar 2001 11:54:18 -0500, steve staggered into the Black Sun
and said:
>OnWed, 07 Mar 2001 16:10:11 -0500, "cedric" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>wrote:
>
>> Are there any video editing programs for Linux? If so, where can they
>> be found at? What about 'avi to mpeg' converters?
>
>Not for linux per se, but when Apple releases it's long awaited next OS
>based on BSD there will be some very good video apps available,
>probably not free though.

Broadcast2000?  http://heroinewarrior.com/ for (non-Sorenson) Quicktime
tools?

The DVD player for OS X will be in the first Service Pack, naturally.
<g,d,r>

From: E J <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How To CDRW ?  Not CDR, but CDRW,...
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2001 02:04:03 GMT

Have you looked at the man commands on your own computer if you installed
cdrecord?
What do you mean about CD ReWriting?  It is the same as CD Recording except
when the extra erase commands.
$ man cdrecord
...blah...blah...blah
    blank=type
              Blank  a CD-RW and exit or blank a CD-RW before writing. The
blanking
              type may be one of:

              help        Display a list of possible blanking types.

              all         Blank the entire disk. This may take a long time.

              fast        Minimally blank the disk. This  results  in
erasing  the
                          PMA, the TOC and the pregap.

              track       Blank a track.

              unreserve   Unreserve a reserved track.

              trtail      Blank the tail of a track.

              unclose     Unclose last session.
...blah....blah...blah

------------------------------

From: John in SD <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: help: LILO through a Serial Terminal problems
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2001 02:45:16 GMT

You don't state what version of LILO you are using.  There was an update
several months ago, so that LILO asserts RTS and DTR.

--John

On Tue, 06 Mar 2001 03:18:26 GMT, "Jeff" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I am trying to configure Linux to boot and operate from a serial terminal.
>
>It mostly works.  To do this added the following lines to the lilo.conf
>file:
>
>    serial=0,9600n8    (in the global section)
>    append="console=ttyS0"  (in the image section)
>
>However, I have a couple labeled images that I want to chose from at the
>LILO boot prompt.  According to LILO documentation I should be able to add
>the "serial=..." in LILO's global section and LILO's boot can be performed
>through the terminal (VT100 in my case) connected to the specified serial
>port.  The console output is correctly send through the serial port.
>
>THE PROBLEM is that no terminal input is recieved from the serial terminal.
>Consequently, I cannot select my LILO boot image from the remote terminal.
>The terminal input works once Linux boots and it's in a shell.  It appears
>that only LILO is not processing the serial terminal input.
>
>Has anyone seen this problem?  Any solutions?
>
>Your help is appreciated.
>
>Jeff

LILO version 21.7 (24-Feb-2001) source at
http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/system/boot/lilo
patches at ftp://brun.dyndns.org/pub/linux/lilo

------------------------------

From: John in SD <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: LILO through a Serial Terminal problems
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2001 02:45:47 GMT

Yes, it works just fine.

--John

From: "muzh" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Hard Drive
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2001 16:07:29 +1300

This may be an interrupt conflict problem -- some of your PCI cards may
be using the same interrupt as your IDE or UDMA66 controllers.
Try putting some PCI cards in different slots, and see what happens.
A similar problem I had was fixed by moving my PCI sound card one slot to
the left --
Replied only to comp.os.linux.misc to try and cut down on cross-posting --

Recently, the keys of "FARFROMNÖRMAL" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 's
computer randomly danced and produced <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> :

--
Never trust a man in a suit

cll

------------------------------

From: "Shane" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: using an ATAPI tape drive with Linux 2.2.17 kernel
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2001 03:56:18 GMT

Hi all,

    I have a Travan 4gig IDE tape drive running under Mandrake 7.2 (2.2.17
stock kernel), which is detected at boot as HDD ("found ATAPI tape drive..."
is what it says)... Unfortunately, I cannot work out how to use it with
taper or tar.
tar keeps saying "Cowardly refusing to build empty data set" and taper says
"illegal tape drive".

Trying /dev/nht0 does not work with either program. kudzu did not appear to
do anything to set it up either...

Any suggestions? I've read what I can find in all the man pages, and on
taper..

Thanks
Shane.

------------------------------

From: John Scudder <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: .profile file in Mandrake?
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2001 23:28:01 -0500

When I was using SuSE 6.3 I put some startup commands a .profile file
and placed it in my /home directory.  These commands were executed when
I logged in.  Now I am using Mandrake 7.2 and tried the same trick but
for some reason the file is not beign read.  Doesn't Mandrake support
the .profile file?

John

------------------------------

From: Jim Gorman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2001 05:17:06 GMT

I found the best solution was to upgrade memory from 64M to 128M.  This =

helped eliminate about half of the failures.  Opera doesn't do Java so=20
its out.  I've tried Star Office 5.2 and although the browser is nice, i=
t=20
doesn't support some stuff either, i.e., a bunch of plugins.

On 3/10/01, 3:06:21 PM, Steve Withers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote=20
regarding A Better Web Browser...PLEASE!:

.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Andreas Schweitzer)
Subject: Re: .profile file in Mandrake?
Date: 11 Mar 2001 05:14:41 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, John Scudder wrote:
>When I was using SuSE 6.3 I put some startup commands a .profile file
>and placed it in my /home directory.  These commands were executed when
>I logged in.  Now I am using Mandrake 7.2 and tried the same trick but
>for some reason the file is not beign read.  Doesn't Mandrake support
>the .profile file?

This is a bash issue. bash first looks for .bash_profile, and if
it exists it ignores .profile (seem man bash).
Suse chooses to use .profile, Mandrake chooses to use .bash_profile.

Andreas

--
                       Andreas Schweitzer
             http://dilbert.physast.uga.edu/~andy/

------------------------------

From: "O'Banion" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: IP Address Change
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2001 05:14:05 GMT

I know this is probably a rediculous question for most of you, but I'm new
to the Linux world.  I am running Debian 2.2 and I assigned an IP during the
install, and now I need to change it and I don't know how.  Can anyone
please tell me how to change my IP?  All help will be greatly appreciated.

------------------------------

From: Jim Gorman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2001 05:31:03 GMT

------------------------------

From: "Robert L. Cochran Jr." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2001 00:46:10 -0500

I have to agree, Netscape 4.x (on any platform) is a badly broken
product. In Linux, you can't really get the beautiful page renderings
that Internet Explorer does. There is no browser anywhere near as good
as Internet Explorer. My nonprogrammer wife comments that Netscape just
doesn't render pages nicely and she prefers Microsoft Windows 9x simply
because she gets Internet Explorer.

Soon, people will talk about a "Netscape job" to mean "poor quality
work".

--

Bob Cochran
I am a student of Linux, Java, database and web development.

mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dowe Keller)
Date: 10 Mar 2001 22:04:33 -0800

On Sat, 10 Mar 2001 23:28:01 -0500, John Scudder <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>When I was using SuSE 6.3 I put some startup commands a .profile file
>and placed it in my /home directory.  These commands were executed when
>I logged in.  Now I am using Mandrake 7.2 and tried the same trick but
>for some reason the file is not beign read.  Doesn't Mandrake support
>the .profile file?
>
>John

What kind of shell were you using in SuSE.  Most Linux distros give
users bash(1) by default.  bash uses .bash_profile rather than
.profile.  You have choices as I see it:

        1) Change your shell to the same that you used under SuSE.
                "man chsh" to find out how to change shells.
        2) If you were using a Bourne Shell derivative under SuSE, you
           may be able to get away with just renaming your .profile to
           .bash_profile.
                "info bash" to learn about this shell.
        3) Write a new .bash_profile that does the same thing as your
           old .profile did.

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED]              http://www.sierratel.com/dowe
---