Linux-Misc Digest #331, Volume #27               Sun, 11 Mar 01 08:13:02 EST

Contents:
  Re: A Better Web Browser...PLEASE! (Jay & Shell)
  Re: .profile file in Mandrake? (Bill Unruh)
  Re: HELP installation linux mandrake (Arctic Storm)
  Re: setting up a printer? (Dowe Keller)
  Re: Does GNapster work on FreeBSD ? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: A Better Web Browser...PLEASE! ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: A Better Web Browser...PLEASE! ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: A Better Web Browser...PLEASE! ("Peter T. Breuer")
  Re: IP Address Change ("Peter T. Breuer")
  Re: A Better Web Browser...PLEASE! (Richard Steiner)
  r/w attribs when burning CDs for DOS (malicorne)
  Re: A Better Web Browser...PLEASE! (Steve Withers)
  Re: A Better Web Browser...PLEASE! (Steve Withers)
  Re: A Better Web Browser...PLEASE! (Steve Withers)
  Re: Free ISP for Linux Users? ("f@m4ma")
  Re: direct restart after compiling the kernel???? (Adam
=?iso-8859-2?Q?Podstawczy=F1ski?=)
  Re: direct restart after compiling the kernel???? ("Rolf Marvin Bře Lindgren")
  Re: r/w attribs when burning CDs for DOS (malicorne)
  Opera Re: A Better Web Browser...PLEASE! (Steve Withers)
  Re: direct restart after compiling the kernel???? ("Peter T. Breuer")
  Konquerer and web security (Ramin Sina)
  Re: A Better Web Browser...PLEASE! (Rick)
  Re: A Better Web Browser...PLEASE! (Rick)

From: Jay & Shell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: A Better Web Browser...PLEASE!
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2001 06:28:48 GMT

I use 4.76 myself and installed Sun's JRE Java plugin, helped out alot for
me anyway.

--
Registered Linux user #192969

MS-Windows - A Colorful Clown Suit For Dos !

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bill Unruh)
Subject: Re: .profile file in Mandrake?
Date: 11 Mar 2001 07:15:17 GMT

In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> John Scudder <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

]When I was using SuSE 6.3 I put some startup commands a .profile file
]and placed it in my /home directory.  These commands were executed when
]I logged in.  Now I am using Mandrake 7.2 and tried the same trick but
]for some reason the file is not beign read.  Doesn't Mandrake support
]the .profile file?

Use .bash_profile for login commands, and .bashrc for "each shell"
commands.

------------------------------

From: Arctic Storm <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: HELP installation linux mandrake
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2001 07:37:53 GMT

> I've tried to install linux mandrake 7.2 but when the installation
> procedure starts to install the packages, I've some error with the package
> "tmpwatch". I've tried with another CD of linux mandrake 7.2 but I,ve the
> same error. I've tried to deselect this package but I can't beacause It's
> one of the undeselectable package.

This may be a radical solution, but why not try a different distribution of
Linux,...  Perhaps RedHat, Suse, etc.  I personally had good results with
RedHat, because of their extensive help web site.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dowe Keller)
Subject: Re: setting up a printer?
Date: 10 Mar 2001 22:47:39 -0800

On 04 Mar 2001 19:45:34 -0500, Michael Roy Fox <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I have Linux release 2.4.2 and a Hewlett Packard Deskjet 842c printer.
>Can anyone give me step by step instructions as how to set up my
>printer?
>
>Thanks,
>Michael

What problems are you having?  Did you have these problems with
earlier releases?

BTW: For general printing under Linux info see
_The_Linux_Printing_Howto_. You should be able to find this under
/usr/doc somewhere, or at <http://metalab.unc.edu/mdw/index.html>

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED]              http://www.sierratel.com/dowe
---

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Does GNapster work on FreeBSD ?
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2001 07:53:15 GMT

Arctic Storm <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Sorry for the question, but,...
> GNapster is a great tool for Linux.
> Has anyone successfully used GNapster on FreeBSD?
> If so, how?
> Thanks.

You might also want to check out lopster. It's a very nice GTK client that
purportedly runs on the various BSD's. http://lopster.sourceforge.net

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2001 08:00:23 GMT

In comp.os.linux.misc Thomas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> opera should be open source

Why? Have they used GPL'd code?

> i tried it as well, but got probs with java/javascript and ssl

> switched back to ns

I like Opera also. It has a great interface and the program and the
pages load FAST. I am currently using the ad supported version which
is indeed very useable.

Opera for linux is a better browder than IE for windows imo.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2001 08:02:20 GMT

In comp.os.linux.misc Arctic Storm <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I wonder if Linux will *ever* have a web browser that is a worthy opponent
> to Explorer,...

It does: Opera. Check it out.

------------------------------

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2001 09:13:10 +0100

Jean-David Beyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Steve Withers wrote (in part):
> I wonder why some users have so much trouble with Netscape and others,
> relatively little. I run Netscape 4.76 these days, but the earlier

It's because you don't have a corrupt database in your .netscape area.
People with problems should move thir .netscape dir aside, then
restart, then move back _ascii_ data bit by bit.

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: IP Address Change
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2001 09:29:16 +0100

O'Banion <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I know this is probably a rediculous question for most of you, but I'm new
> to the Linux world.  I am running Debian 2.2 and I assigned an IP during the
> install, and now I need to change it and I don't know how.  Can anyone
> please tell me how to change my IP?  All help will be greatly appreciated.

a) find out where in your bootup scripts it is assigned
b) change it
c) restart the script concerned.

FOr debian, I would guess something like /etc/init.d/networking. That
should use ifup/down, so "man ifup":

       The ifup and ifdown commands man be used to configure (or,
       respectively, deconfigure) network  interfaces,  based  on
       descriptions  of  the  interfaces  entered  into  the file
       /etc/network/interfaces.
       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

But why should I tell you what I guess? It's your machine .. so you can
look at it!

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Richard Steiner)
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2001 02:51:28 -0600

Here in comp.os.linux.misc,
Arctic Storm <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
spake unto us, saying:

>Internet has become such an important part of computing that it may be a
>breaker for most users.  I agree with your sentiments.

The internet is a lot more than just the web.  Please note that e-mail,
news, FTP, telnet, and many other services are part of the internet as
well, and that Linux excels in those areas.

>I wonder if Linux will *ever* have a web browser that is a worthy opponent
>to Explorer,...

A lot depends on what you want to do.  Since I have no real need to use
things like multimedia plugins on the web, I use links under OS/2, BeOS,
and Linux:

  http://links.sourceforge.net

If you absolutely must surf the web with a GUI browser, another worthy
browser is Konqueror, the browser bundled with the new versions of KDE.

--
   -Rich Steiner  >>>--->  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  >>>--->  Eden Prairie, MN
      OS/2 + BeOS + Linux + Solaris + Win95 + WinNT4 + FreeBSD + DOS

------------------------------

From: malicorne <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: r/w attribs when burning CDs for DOS
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2001 10:35:58 +0100

Hi all,

  I am making backups of Win/DOS data on CDROM using mkisofs and cdrecord.
Works all right, but when I copy this data in a directory to use with
Windows every single file is marked as read-only, which is not very useful
and a bit of  a hassle to fix since the DOS attrib command is not recursive
on sub-directories I think.

  Here's what I do to burn the files on CD:

  After copying the data I want to burn in a temp directory I use:

  mkisofs -r -J -l -V "Volume" -o cd_image disktemp/

  And with the cd_image I use to burn:

  cdrecord -v speed=4 dev=0,0,0  -data cd_image

  I use the RockRidge extensions, then the Joliet format for better
compatibility with Windows, and then the -l switch to allow long filenames.

  Is there a way to make the files readily readable _and_ writable once
copied to disk from the CD ?

Alain

------------------------------

From: Steve Withers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2001 23:51:59 +1300

Grant Edwards wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Steve Withers wrote:
>
> >If anything is going to drive me back to Windowss it is *&%^$ Netscape.
> [...]
>
> I gave up on Netscape and tried Opera 5 a couple months ago.  I liked it so
> much I bought two copies (though the free versions with the ads was
> perfectly usable).

I didn't think Opera 5 for Linux was out yet....I'll have a look.

From: Steve Withers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2001 23:55:04 +1300

Jean-David Beyer wrote:

> I wonder why some people have so much trouble with Netscape, and
> others get relatively few problems with it.

I think it's web site dependent. I can surf for longer than 10-15
minutes....then hit a strong of sites that bring me down faster than
that.

Netscape can also crash X11R6 qute nicely...usually once per day.
Usually when in Mail....BOOM...command line.

From: Steve Withers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2001 23:56:54 +1300

Jay & Shell wrote:

> I use 4.76 myself and installed Sun's JRE Java plugin, helped out alot for
> me anyway.

Thanks!

From: "f@m4ma" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Free ISP for Linux Users?
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2001 10:58:30 +0000

If you're in the UK try freeserve :)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Adam =?iso-8859-2?Q?Podstawczy=F1ski?=)
Subject: Re: direct restart after compiling the kernel????
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2001 12:16:09 +0100

Rolf Marvin Bře Lindgren, napisało Ci się:
> [cbbrowne]
>
> | Try:
> |
> | # make dep clean bzlilo modules modules_install; shutdown -r now
>
> surely
>
> # make dep clean bzlilo modules modules_install && shutdown -r now

Both wrong, where's the lilo command? :-)

--
Adam Podstawczyński
Linuksłownik: http://kolos.math.uni.lodz.pl/ap/linukslownik/

------------------------------

From: "Rolf Marvin Bře Lindgren" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 11 Mar 2001 12:18:16 +0100

[Adam Podstawczyński]

| Both wrong, where's the lilo command? :-)

OK, version 2.0:

# make dep clean bzlilo modules modules_install && lilo && shutdown -r now

--
Rolf Lindgren                                            http://www.roffe.com/

From: malicorne <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: r/w attribs when burning CDs for DOS
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2001 12:44:34 +0100

malicorne wrote:

>   I am making backups of Win/DOS data on CDROM using mkisofs and cdrecord.
> Works all right, but when I copy this data in a directory to use with
> Windows every single file is marked as read-only, which is not very useful
> and a bit of  a hassle to fix since the DOS attrib command is not
> recursive on sub-directories I think.

Note: Same thing happens within Linux.  If I copy a text file from this CD
to a Linux directory and try to edit it with emacs, it is read-only.

The same file, in its original windows parition (mounted by fstab)  can be
edited and written by emacs.  But once the file is copied to CD by the
procedure I mentioned in the previous msg, and then copied back to disk, it
becomes read-only.

Before burning the CD I mount the cd image to check it up.  Every file has
no writable bit set.  Only: -r-xr-xr-x.  It is not possible to add the
write bit in this mkisofs image.

So what to do?  How can I make CD with files having the writable bit set do
that once copied to disc they can be immediately written-to?

Thanks in advance for any ideaa and suggestions.

Alain

------------------------------

From: Steve Withers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Opera Re: A Better Web Browser...PLEASE!
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 00:50:27 +1300

OK.....I downloaded Opera 5.0 for Linux. As mentioned by others it lacks
Java, plugin support and other stuff.
It is nice, tidy and fast.

It crashed once during the hour I used it. I bought it via the web site
for US$39. I want to support Linux software development and that takes
money in some cases and this appears to be one of them.

The ads would drive me nuts otherwise.

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2001 13:33:00 +0100

Adam Podstawczyski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Rolf Marvin Boe Lindgren, napisao Ci sie:
>> [cbbrowne]
>> | # make dep clean bzlilo modules modules_install; shutdown -r now
>>
>> surely
>>
>> # make dep clean bzlilo modules modules_install && shutdown -r now

> Both wrong, where's the lilo command? :-)

In the make bzlilo. Not that I'd ever do it with eyes shut like that!

From: Ramin Sina <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Konquerer and web security
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2001 13:03:42 GMT

Hi all,

Is it just my imagination or anyone else has the feeling that supposedly
secure transaction with Konquerer (KDE 2.1 distribution for RH6.2) are not
secure?! i.e. I don't see "lock" in the top panel showing the locked
position. I have tried netscape with those sites and everything is fine
with that. Being paranoid, I've had to cancel one credit card already after
an online purchasing went through but there was no indication for me that
it was really secure.

Ramin Sina

------------------------------

From: Rick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2001 08:06:17 -0500

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> In comp.os.linux.misc Arctic Storm <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>wrote:
>
> > I wonder if Linux will *ever* have a web browser that is a worthy opponent
> > to Explorer,...
>
> It does: Opera. Check it out.

Does Opera do secure pages yet?

--
Rick

From: Rick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2001 08:10:23 -0500

I wonder how much of this "onderful pag rendering" is because you are
viewing pages written by a Microsoft app for a microsoft app.

--
Rick