Linux-Misc Digest #337, Volume #27               Sun, 11 Mar 01 15:13:03 EST

Contents:
  Re: Problems with tar tape backups ("J. D. Addison")
  Re: Konquerer and web security (Matt Haley)
  Re: how to print with GIMP? (Leonard Evens)
  Re: A Better Web Browser...PLEASE! (Grant Edwards)
  fax (Heiko Brüning)
  Re: A Better Web Browser...PLEASE! ("Robert L. Cochran Jr.")
  Partitioning for Linux (Clive Dove)
  Re: samba password issue. ("Robert L. Cochran Jr.")
  wine desktop ("The Webbs")
  live voice over the internet (richard noel fell)
  Re: Hard Drive (Anselm Hoffmeister)
  How To Install LILO after RedHat installation ? (Arctic Storm)
  Re: A Better Web Browser...PLEASE! (Scott Alfter)
  Re: wine desktop (Esa Tikka)
  Re: How To Install LILO after RedHat installation ? (Bill Unruh)
  Re: IP Address Change ("sinbad")
  Installing Non-RPM linux Software (Dan)
  Re: How To CDRW ?  Not CDR, but CDRW,... ("jujubeesRULE")
  How to access Windows partitions? (Arctic Storm)
  Re: Change memory limits for large executable? (Bob Hauck)
  Re: A Better Web Browser...PLEASE! (Bob Hauck)
  Re: What to use to view .ram files with KDE2.1 (Bob Hauck)
  debian kernel compile::modules  have unresolved symbols (Kyle Parfrey)
  Re: How To Install LILO after RedHat installation ? (Arctic Storm)
  Re: how to print with GIMP? (Rick)
  Re: Installing Non-RPM linux Software (David)
  Changing monitor ("bmeson")
  Re: how to print with GIMP? (Rick)

From: "J. D. Addison" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Problems with tar tape backups
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2001 15:48:44 +0000

try
mt -f /dev/st0 status
after the rewind.
It may help to pipe through dd. This will report howmany
blocks were actually written before failure.

Martin Pelikan wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am trying to make backups of our home directory, and I have tried it a number
> of times by simply running

> tar -cvpf /dev/st0 --label=" tape1 (home1,extra3) backup created on `date
> '+%d-%B-%Y'`." /home
>
> The problem is that at some point, the backup crashes with a message:
>
> tar: Cannot write to /dev/st0: Input/output error
>
> It crashes at different files almost every time (sometimes close to the
> beginning sometimes almost at the end) and sometimes it succeeds (but very
> rarely, just once in fact).
>
> The home is about 5 gigs big. Should I try to make changes in some other options
> of tar like block size or anything else to get this to work? What may be the
> problem? Can it be a problem when the particular file that is being written to
> the tape is modified as it is being written or anything like that? Thanks for
> your help!
>
> Martin

>  Martin Pelikan
>  Illinois Genetic Algorithms Laboratory
>  University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign
>  117 Transportation Building
>  104 S. Mathews Avenue, Urbana, IL 61801
>  tel: (217) 333-2346, fax: (217) 244-5705

J. D. Addison
Telephone: 01865-246886
email [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Matt Haley)
Subject: Re: Konquerer and web security
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2001 09:22:48 -0700

On Sun, 11 Mar 2001 13:03:42 GMT,
Ramin Sina <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>Is it just my imagination or anyone else has the feeling that supposedly
>secure transaction with Konquerer (KDE 2.1 distribution for RH6.2) are not
>secure?! i.e. I don't see "lock" in the top panel showing the locked
>position. I have tried netscape with those sites and everything is fine
>with that. Being paranoid, I've had to cancel one credit card already after
>an online purchasing went through but there was no indication for me that
>it was really secure.

You can do an SSL check at http://www.fortify.net. I've used konqueror to
access a bank account and other than the fact I have to send it a different
User Agent string, it works fine.

------------------------------

From: Leonard Evens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.powerpc
Subject: Re: how to print with GIMP?
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2001 10:27:01 -0600

Rick wrote:

> Are there somple directions to printing ith the GIMP? It seems to want
> to print to a file, wthr I chose my printer or not.
>
> Any help appreciated.
>
> --
> Rick

I don't know which version of print you have, but with the version
I have, there is a box at the top for printer.  If you have used
printtool to setup a printer, you should be able to choose that
printer by clicking on that box.  If printtool doesn't have an
entry for your printer, just choose something that is close
if you plan to use the printer for photos.  The actual setup for
the gimp print utility is done by clicking on the setup button
next to the printer button.  That has a quite wide variety of
printers of the type one might use for printing photos.

The instructions that come with the print installer tell how to
set up the printer for general printing if you want to do that
also.

--

Leonard Evens      [EMAIL PROTECTED]      847-491-5537

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Grant Edwards)
Subject: Re: A Better Web Browser...PLEASE!
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2001 16:52:57 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Rick wrote:
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>>
>> In comp.os.linux.misc Arctic Storm <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>wrote:
>>
>> > I wonder if Linux will *ever* have a web browser that is a worthy opponent
>> > to Explorer,...
>>
>> It does: Opera. Check it out.
>
>Does Opera do secure pages yet?

Works fine for me.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  Hey, waiter! I want
                                  at               a NEW SHIRT and a PONY TAIL

------------------------------

From: Heiko Brüning <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: fax
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2001 18:55:53 +0100

Hi!

I've got a class2 faxmodem and want to send faxes, but sendfax tells me my modem
isn't a class2/2.0. But my manual says it is? Does anybody know what's wrong?

Thanx Heiko.

------------------------------

From: "Robert L. Cochran Jr." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2001 12:48:38 -0500

Rick, if you write an HTML page in any text editor and post it to a web
site, it will render differently in Netscape 4.7x and Internet Explorer
particularly if it has dynamic HTML elements in it. There are also many
differences in how cascading style sheets are implemented and the
corresponding HTML rendered. If you want to find deep discussions of
this, check out http://www.webreference.com

Meanwhile I don't think this question really belongs in a networking
forum. Hopefully the networking regulars will forgive us. I think we
should take these posts off the networking forum.

Bob Cochran

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Clive Dove)
Subject: Partitioning for Linux
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2001 18:00:44 GMT

I have a multi-boot system with OS/2, Win95 and Linux Mandrake 6.5
aboard, using the OS/2 boot manager to select operating systems.   Linux
is installed in single type 83 partition with a type 82 swap partition.

I wish to use my second hard disk drive exclusively for linux, and
re-partition for a root partition and one or more separate user
partitions. The drive is 2 gig.
I am looking for recommendations as to the partitioning and what is a
sufficient size for the root partition.
Under OS/2 and Win95, the only thing in my C: partitions are the
operating system,  Everything else is in D: and E: drives.  This makes
it easy to periodically re-format and re-install the operating system
partition.  I would like to do the same for my Linux system.
I will be installing Mandrake 7.0, but I contemplate wanting to replace
it periodically as improved kernels are released.

------------------------------

From: "Robert L. Cochran Jr." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: redhat.general
Subject: Re: samba password issue.
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2001 13:09:08 -0500

You also must change your smb.conf file to accept encrypted passwords.
The password issue probably causes the most trouble for people setting
up Samba for the first time, yet it is not too difficult to work with.
Read the Samba book for all the details or check http://www.samba.org

From: "The Webbs" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: wine desktop
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2001 10:22:23 -0800

i have seen the wine desktop. It looks like windows 95 or 3.1. The problem
is I
don't get this desktop, went i run the wine command it says all the usage
info,
it doesn't show the desktop. Is there something I'm missing? If so, where is
the desktop stuff? I know codeweavers version of wine, but when I try to
install it via rpm binary it always says Wine is an unsatisfied dependensy,
which means that I don't have Wine on my system. I've uninstalled and
reinstalled wine countless times, but it still won't work.

------------------------------

From: richard noel fell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.misc
Subject: live voice over the internet
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2001 14:22:58 -0500

Is it possible to set up a microphone/speakers on linux so that one can
talk over the internet?  What hardware, other than the obvious, is
required, i.e., where would one plug in the microphone, for instance.
Thanks for any information,
Dick Fell.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Anselm Hoffmeister)
Crossposted-To: ak.os.linux,alt.comp.linux,alt.linux,ar.linux,at.linux
Subject: Re: Hard Drive
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2001 18:16:17 GMT

On Thu, 08 Mar 2001 10:31:23 +0000, Neil Shaw
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> hdc: CD-ROM
>> hdd: CD-RW
>> hde: HDD

I saw something like this at a friend's computer (he could afford some
dual-CPU-high-value-motherboard).
The problem/case was that his cd-reader and toaster are at IDE
Secondary, taking hdc and hdd, and then, his harddisks at
UltraDMA-Controller were detected as hde/hdf. This seems to be because
Linux has hda/b for the ide0, ide1->c/d  ....
And it seems to "see" the usual IDE before the UDMA66 controller.

As it says in SuSE-Linux 7.1 manual
"what does that *login:* error message mean", I think it's not that
place at which boot process hangs :-) but will be somewhere near the
place where it tries to mount your root filesystem !? In this case I
think you misconfigured your lilo/chos/syslinux/bootmanager to watch
for your root partition at /dev/hda1 or so, and that doesnt work. So
try to use some emergency boot feature perhaps supplied with your
distribution, and try to specify hdex instead of hdax as boot
partition. Or install LOADLIN (dos-based linux-booter). Available in
the net. With loadlin of course your problem is to get your kernel
from somewhere, but with MY distrib, it is somewhere on the DVD (or
CDROM resp.) and so I can use it from there.

Have a lot of fun....

Anselm

------------------------------

From: Arctic Storm <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: How To Install LILO after RedHat installation ?
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2001 18:29:49 GMT

Hello,
I have two IDE hard drives, and I placed Win2K on the first hard drive, and
Linux on the second hard drive.
I installed RedHat 6.2, and placed LILO in the firsts sector of the boot
partition.
I used BootPart to place Linux on the NT Loader menu, but it's not
working,...
I'm currently using the boot floppy to launch Linux.
Now, I would like to have LILO in the MBR; hoping that this will solve the
problem.
Any help would be appreciated.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Scott Alfter)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2001 18:53:39 -0000

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Esa Tikka)
Subject: Re: wine desktop
Date: 11 Mar 2001 18:36:08 GMT

On Sun, 11 Mar 2001 10:22:23 -0800, The Webbs <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>i have seen the wine desktop. It looks like windows 95 or 3.1. The problem
>is I
>don't get this desktop, went i run the wine command it says all the usage
>info,
>it doesn't show the desktop. Is there something I'm missing? If so, where is

AFAIK Wine can only start programs, it's not the desktop environment
itself. So, you should give the name of some windows program for it as
parameter.

--
Esa Tikka                    reply address for non-spammers:
LTKK/ti4                         esa dot tikka at lut dot fi

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bill Unruh)
Subject: Re: How To Install LILO after RedHat installation ?
Date: 11 Mar 2001 19:07:26 GMT

In <xuPq6.4065$[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Arctic Storm
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

]Hello,
]I have two IDE hard drives, and I placed Win2K on the first hard drive, and
]Linux on the second hard drive.
]I installed RedHat 6.2, and placed LILO in the firsts sector of the boot
]partition.
]I used BootPart to place Linux on the NT Loader menu, but it's not
]working,...
]I'm currently using the boot floppy to launch Linux.
]Now, I would like to have LILO in the MBR; hoping that this will solve the
]problem.
]Any help would be appreciated.

Boot up linux. Replace the line in /etc/lilo.conf with
boot=/dev/hda
Mkae sure that there is an entry for your Win2K in /etc/lilo.conf.

Then run lilo.

------------------------------

From: "sinbad" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: IP Address Change
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2001 19:26:09 GMT

Use 'netcfg' and 'ifconfig'.

/Sindbad

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: Dan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Installing Non-RPM linux Software
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2001 19:30:05 -0000

I just downloaded some Linux software in the tar.gz format.  I successfully
decomperssed the file using gunzip filename.tar.gz and then tar xvf
filenane.tar    A whole bunch of files are printed on the terminal but the
software is not really installed and ready to run.  What do I do
now?

From: "jujubeesRULE" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How To CDRW ?  Not CDR, but CDRW,...
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2001 19:31:05 GMT

In article <tTxq6.2559$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Arctic Storm"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I have RedHat 7 and Sony Spressa CRX140E/CH2.  I searched and searched,
> but no information on how to use the CD ReWritable drive.  There are
> lots of information on CD Recording, but not CD ReWriting. Any help
> would be appreciated.

Should work just the same as CDR, except for the additional option of
blanking the CDRW disc. ("cdrecord blank=fast dev=0,2,0" for example).

Do a "man cdrecord" for more info.

------------------------------

From: Arctic Storm <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: How to access Windows partitions?
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2001 19:39:41 GMT

These are the commands that I issued.

su -
<root password>
mkdir /mnt/vfat
mount -t vfat /dev/hda5 /mnt/vfat
chmod -R a+rwx /mnt/vfat
exit

Now, from regular user account, I issued the following commands.
cd /mnt/vfat
mkdir test

And I got the permission denied error.
What went wrong?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bob Hauck)
Subject: Re: Change memory limits for large executable?
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2001 19:43:46 GMT

On Sun, 11 Mar 2001 01:32:52 +0100, Thomas Ruedas
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>>Here's a snip from my kernel.config:
>I didn't find such a file on my system (SuSE 7.0).

The full path is /usr/src/linux/.config.  It'll only be there if you
have compiled a kernel, or your vendor put a default one there.

My point was that Linux on x86 can be compiled with either a 1 GB or a 2
GB per-process address space.  If yours has the former (and I don't know
what SuSE ships), then a 1.3 GB executable (or, rather, one that needs
1.3 GB of data space) won't be able to run.

You might want to ask SuSE how they configure their kernel.

> Does the GNU compiler produce very large executables compared with
> other compilers, or is this also due to differences in architecture?

The GNU compiler does tend to produce larger executables than others,
but I would be careful about making any kind of comparisons with AIX
using their native compiler.  The Power PC and x86 are very different,
and that will make a big difference in the size.

--
 -| Bob Hauck
 -| To Whom You Are Speaking

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bob Hauck)
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2001 19:43:48 GMT

On Sun, 11 Mar 2001 08:06:17 -0500, Rick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Does Opera do secure pages yet?

Yes but no Java or plugins.  Very fast though, and low memory use
compared to Mozilla or Netscape.

--
 -| Bob Hauck
 -| To Whom You Are Speaking

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bob Hauck)
Subject: Re: What to use to view .ram files with KDE2.1
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2001 19:43:49 GMT

On Sun, 11 Mar 2001 13:13:54 GMT, Ramin Sina
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Does anything come with KDE2.1 to view .ram files?

No, you need to get Real Audio.

--
 -| Bob Hauck
 -| To Whom You Are Speaking

------------------------------

From: Kyle Parfrey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: debian kernel compile::modules  have unresolved symbols
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2001 19:45:56 GMT

Hello::
I think I have successfully recompiled my debian kernel, version
2.2.18pre21, in order to get sound working. However when I try to install
the emu10k1 package depmod returns "unresolved symbols" in pretty much all
of the modules in /lib/modutils/ . What is wrong, and how can I get it to
work/install??

Thanks,
Kyle
--
"For he on honey dew hath fed,
and drunk the milk of paradaise"

------------------------------

From: Arctic Storm <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2001 19:56:50 GMT

> ]Hello,
> ]I have two IDE hard drives, and I placed Win2K on the first hard drive,
> and ]Linux on the second hard drive.
> ]I installed RedHat 6.2, and placed LILO in the firsts sector of the boot
> ]partition.
> ]I used BootPart to place Linux on the NT Loader menu, but it's not
> ]working,...
> ]I'm currently using the boot floppy to launch Linux.
> ]Now, I would like to have LILO in the MBR; hoping that this will solve
> the ]problem.
> ]Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Boot up linux. Replace the line in /etc/lilo.conf with
> boot=/dev/hda
> Mkae sure that there is an entry for your Win2K in /etc/lilo.conf.
>
> Then run lilo.

Too easy,...  It worked like a charm.
That was a very quick reply!
Now, if life were this easy,...

------------------------------

From: Rick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.powerpc
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2001 14:58:08 -0500

Leonard Evens wrote:

> Rick wrote:
> >
> > Are there somple directions to printing ith the GIMP? It seems to want
> > to print to a file, wthr I chose my printer or not.
> >
> > Any help appreciated.
> >
> > --
> > Rick
>
> I don't know which version of print you have, but with the version
> I have, there is a box at the top for printer.  If you have used
> printtool to setup a printer, you should be able to choose that
> printer by clicking on that box.  If printtool doesn't have an
> entry for your printer, just choose something that is close
> if you plan to use the printer for photos.  The actual setup for
> the gimp print utility is done by clicking on the setup button
> next to the printer button.  That has a quite wide variety of
> printers of the type one might use for printing photos.
>
> The instructions that come with the print installer tell how to
> set up the printer for general printing if you want to do that
> also.
>
> --

the problem is, GIMP is only letting me print to a file, even if I
select a printer in the dropdon list. In allthe verisons to this on
(1.1.26-0_helix_1) you could print to file OR lpr. lpr i nolonger in
that dialog box.

--
Rick

------------------------------

From: David <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Installing Non-RPM linux Software
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2001 20:00:26 GMT

Dan wrote:

> I just downloaded some Linux software in the tar.gz format.  I successfully
> decomperssed the file using gunzip filename.tar.gz and then tar xvf
> filenane.tar    A whole bunch of files are printed on the terminal but the
> software is not really installed and ready to run.  What do I do
> now?

Read the README and install files.

Registered with the Linux Counter.  http://counter.li.org
ID # 123538
Completed more W/U's than 99.104% of seti users. +/- 0.01%

------------------------------

From: "bmeson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Changing monitor
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2001 15:06:48 -0500

Hi, I plan to change the monitor on the Linux box (downgrading from 19'' to
17''). But I'll keep the same video card (matrox m400). What is the
re-configuration I need to do? I don't want to re-run the redhat
installation unless no other options.

From: Rick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.powerpc
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2001 15:10:44 -0500

Leonard Evens wrote:

> Rick wrote:
> >
> > Are there somple directions to printing ith the GIMP? It seems to want
> > to print to a file, wthr I chose my printer or not.
> >
> > Any help appreciated.
> >
> > --
> > Rick
>
> I don't know which version of print you have, but with the version
> I have, there is a box at the top for printer.  If you have used
> printtool to setup a printer, you should be able to choose that
> printer by clicking on that box.  If printtool doesn't have an
> entry for your printer, just choose something that is close
> if you plan to use the printer for photos.  The actual setup for
> the gimp print utility is done by clicking on the setup button
> next to the printer button.  That has a quite wide variety of
> printers of the type one might use for printing photos.
>
> The instructions that come with the print installer tell how to
> set up the printer for general printing if you want to do that
> also.
>
> --
>
> Leonard Evens      [EMAIL PROTECTED]      847-491-5537
> Dept. of Mathematics, Northwestern Univ., Evanston, IL 60208

I have uninstalld GIMP. Installed and reinstalled tons of versions. The
I reinstalled 1.1.6 and the data files. lpr cooms up, as does a etting
for the Epson 740. I hav no clue why it wasnt working before.

--
Rick