Linux-Misc Digest #338, Volume #27               Sun, 11 Mar 01 18:13:01 EST

Contents:
  Re: Changing monitor (Lou Boyd)
  Re: how to print with GIMP? (Jean-David Beyer)
  Re: Changing monitor (Jean-David Beyer)
  KDE and Gnome windows don't fit my screen (new to Linux) (Dan)
  Anyone ever ran Linux on Sun Sparc? (Pjtg0707)
  Re: How to access Windows partitions? (Robert Heller)
  Re: Tk based alarm clock (* Tong *)
  Re: What to use to view .ram files with KDE2.1 ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Installing Non-RPM linux Software ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: live voice over the internet (Michael Heiming)
  Re: Hard Drive ("FARFROMNÖRMAL")
  can login through kdm but can't from console (Steve)
  Re: Question: setup cable modem, Linux and Windows (Mr. Bigglesworth)
  Re: KDE and Gnome windows don't fit my screen (new to Linux) (Dances With Crows)
  Re: r/w attribs when burning CDs for DOS (David Efflandt)
  Re: Partitioning for Linux ("nag")
  how to network? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Question: setup cable modem, Linux and Windows
([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Anyone ever ran Linux on Sun Sparc? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: how to network? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  ssh on RedHat 6.2 (buffalo)
  Re: A Better Web Browser...PLEASE! (Bora Ugurlu)
  Re: A Better Web Browser...PLEASE! ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  metamail errors (Ali Sadik-Ogli)

Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2001 20:11:38 +0000
From: Lou Boyd <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Re: Changing monitor

bmeson wrote:

> Hi, I plan to change the monitor on the Linux box (downgrading from 19'' to
> 17''). But I'll keep the same video card (matrox m400). What is the
> re-configuration I need to do? I don't want to re-run the redhat
> installation unless no other options.

Run  Xconfigurator. You can generally change monitors with no
reconfiguration unless the new monitor has a restricted scan rate.

--
Lou Boyd

From: Jean-David Beyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: how to print with GIMP?
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2001 15:19:44 -0500

Rick wrote:

> Leonard Evens wrote:
> >
> > Rick wrote:
> > >
> > > Are there somple directions to printing ith the GIMP? It seems to want
> > > to print to a file, wthr I chose my printer or not.
> > >
> > > Any help appreciated.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Rick
> >
> > I don't know which version of print you have, but with the version
> > I have, there is a box at the top for printer.  If you have used
> > printtool to setup a printer, you should be able to choose that
> > printer by clicking on that box.  If printtool doesn't have an
> > entry for your printer, just choose something that is close
> > if you plan to use the printer for photos.  The actual setup for
> > the gimp print utility is done by clicking on the setup button
> > next to the printer button.  That has a quite wide variety of
> > printers of the type one might use for printing photos.
> >
> > The instructions that come with the print installer tell how to
> > set up the printer for general printing if you want to do that
> > also.
> >
> > --
>
> the problem is, GIMP is only letting me print to a file, even if I
> select a printer in the dropdon list. In allthe verisons to this on
> (1.1.26-0_helix_1) you could print to file OR lpr. lpr i nolonger in
> that dialog box.

I happen to have gimp-1.0.4-7, and I can select print, select lp from
the dropdown box, and it prints just fine (or it would if I had a
better printer than my HP 660Cse which is doing a lousy job on a
Cameron Diaz pin-up I am just now trying it on).

--
 .~.  Jean-David Beyer           Registered Linux User 85642.
 /V\                             Registered Machine    73926.

------------------------------

From: Jean-David Beyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2001 15:24:35 -0500

bmeson wrote:

> Hi, I plan to change the monitor on the Linux box (downgrading from 19'' to
> 17''). But I'll keep the same video card (matrox m400). What is the
> re-configuration I need to do? I don't want to re-run the redhat
> installation unless no other options.

Just rerun Xconfigurator (I think it is) to tell it what kind of
monitor it has. I believe Red Hat can figure out your video card
without running anything.

--
 .~.  Jean-David Beyer           Registered Linux User 85642.
 /V\                             Registered Machine    73926.
/( )\ Shrewsbury, New Jersey     http://counter.li.org
^^-^^ 3:20pm up 8 days, 22:25, 5 users, load average: 3.26, 3.41, 3.13

------------------------------

From: Dan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: KDE and Gnome windows don't fit my screen (new to Linux)
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2001 20:30:08 -0000

     I really hope someone can help me with this one.  I just bought a
used laptop (Toshiba 660CDT) and decided to try out Linux for the first
time by installing Red Hat Linux as my OS instead of Windows 9x.  Just
about everything is working fine except that when a window opens, it is
too large for my screen.  I've tried both KDE and Gnome, but the windows
in both are too large for my screen.  Re-sizing and moving the window
doesn't work because command buttons, radio buttons, text and other
content within the window are off the screen or covered by the window
borders.
     I figure my problem is a pixel-width problem, but I cannot figure out
how to change screen resolution either to try that out.  I'm really
starting to enjoy Linux, but this window thing is driving me batty!  I
would greatly appreciate any help anybody might be able to provide.
     Thanks!

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Pjtg0707)
Subject: Anyone ever ran Linux on Sun Sparc?
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2001 20:40:29 -0000

Hi all,

I have a couple of Sparc 2 machines I am thinking about getting them up
and running again, and I am pondering if I shoud load them up with
Redhat Linux or stick with Solaris. I am wondering what the software
availability and performance will be like with Linux comparing to
Solaris.

I'll mainly be using the machines as intranet server and desktop X
station for C/Perl program development.

------------------------------

From: Robert Heller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How to access Windows partitions?
Date: 11 Mar 2001 14:30:40 -0600

  Arctic Storm <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  In a message on Sun, 11 Mar 2001 19:39:41 GMT, wrote :

AS> These are the commands that I issued.
AS>
AS> su -
AS> <root password>
AS> mkdir /mnt/vfat
AS> mount -t vfat /dev/hda5 /mnt/vfat
AS> chmod -R a+rwx /mnt/vfat

The chmod (and chown/chgrp) command is nonfunctional for FAT filesystems.
FAT file systems don't have real permissions.

Instead, you need to change your mount command:

mount -t vfat -o umask=000 /dev/hda5 /mnt/vfat

This 'fakes' permissions of 777 on all files on your FAT file system.

(Instead of chown, you can add uid=, and gid= mount options.)

--
                                     \/
Robert Heller                        ||InterNet:   [EMAIL PROTECTED]

          ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION **
             http://www.nuthinbutnews.com

------------------------------

From: * Tong * <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.lang.tcl,comp.lang.perl.misc
Subject: Re: Tk based alarm clock
Date: 11 Mar 2001 16:49:49 -0400

[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

Thanks for your detailed recommendation!

> According to * Tong *  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> :I'm planing to write a Tk based alarm clock
>
> What do you mean by 'alarm clock'?  I can envision at least two meanings
> for this.

Yes, that's exactly the direction that I want to go, both of them
one at a time...

> At one time the following program was available - check to see if something
> similar to what you wanted is present...
>
> What: Remind

It's a pity that it is not there. Seems really what I am looking
for. So I spent some time trying to track it down on the web, and,
hee hee hee, I found it! It's at

http://www.roaringpenguin.com/remind.html
http://www.roaringpenguin.com/remind-03.00.22.tar.gz

So folks, if you are interested in it, update your bookmark!

cheers

--
Tong (remove underscore(s) to reply)
  http://members.xoom.com/suntong001/

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: What to use to view .ram files with KDE2.1
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2001 20:53:54 GMT

Bob Hauck <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Sun, 11 Mar 2001 13:13:54 GMT, Ramin Sina
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>>Does anything come with KDE2.1 to view .ram files?

> No, you need to get Real Audio.

Just got to the real website - www.real.com, and they have a player for linux.
Please please, read the instructions for install, if you are using the rpm,
I've heard it requires a specific option for installation...

Kris

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Installing Non-RPM linux Software
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2001 21:02:36 GMT

Dan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I just downloaded some Linux software in the tar.gz format.  I successfully
> decomperssed the file using gunzip filename.tar.gz and then tar xvf
> filenane.tar    A whole bunch of files are printed on the terminal but the
> software is not really installed and ready to run.  What do I do
> now?

FYI - you could have skipped the gunzip portion - tar xvfz filename will
decompress on the fly...  Note the "x" in the options...

You should have a directory with the appropriate files for that program.  CD
into the dir, and there should be instructions in the form of a readme or
install file.  Look at those (less README) and they should tell you what to
do...

Good Luck!

Kris

Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2001 21:46:10 +0100
From: Michael Heiming <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: live voice over the internet

richard noel fell wrote:

> Is it possible to set up a microphone/speakers on linux so that one can
> talk over the internet?  What hardware, other than the obvious, is
> required, i.e., where would one plug in the microphone, for instance.

One would obviously plug microphone/speakers in the soundcard.
Check xspeakfree (search freshmeat.net) for software.

Good luck

Michael Heiming

------------------------------

From: "FARFROMNÖRMAL" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: ak.os.linux,alt.comp.linux,alt.linux,ar.linux,at.linux
Subject: Re: Hard Drive
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2001 11:02:28 -0000

This drive also has Win98se on it and I've gotten into a lot of trouble with
drive settings and Windowz.

news:98d601$4ip$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: Steve <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: can login through kdm but can't from console
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2001 21:26:10 GMT

I can login through kdm but when I switch to the console(s) It says login
incorrect no matter what the username is. Moreover in a terminal if I do su
I can login as superuser but if I do exec login and try root it says login
incorrect.
By the way I noticed that some program form kde suite modified the passwd
file recently (I was adding a user). Hope it was shadow aware.
I am running 2.4.1. with libc 2.1.2

Please help

------------------------------

From: Mr. Bigglesworth <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Re: Question: setup cable modem, Linux and Windows
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2001 21:30:05 -0000

Here's how I did mine, it all just sort of fell together.  I have an
external cable modem.  The cable modem feeds into my hub...the hub feeds
to 2 of my workstations via NIC.  Just configure your nic's tcp-ip
settings in linux as you would in windows and you should be in biz.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Date: 11 Mar 2001 21:42:55 GMT

On Sun, 11 Mar 2001 20:30:08 -0000, Dan staggered into the Black Sun and
said:
>     I really hope someone can help me with this one.  I just bought a
>used laptop (Toshiba 660CDT) and decided to try out Linux for the first
>time by installing Red Hat Linux as my OS instead of Windows 9x.  Just
>about everything is working fine except that when a window opens, it is
>too large for my screen.  I've tried both KDE and Gnome, but the windows
>in both are too large for my screen.  Re-sizing and moving the window
>doesn't work because command buttons, radio buttons, text and other
>content within the window are off the screen or covered by the window
>borders.
>     I figure my problem is a pixel-width problem, but I cannot figure out
>how to change screen resolution either to try that out.  I'm really
>starting to enjoy Linux, but this window thing is driving me batty!  I
>would greatly appreciate any help anybody might be able to provide.

What resolution are you running in?  640x480, or 800x600?  If the laptop
is capable of 800x600 and you're only getting 640x480, then re-run
XConfigurator and specify 800x600 as the only resolution.  (I assume the
machine is not capable of 1024x768 because 1024x768 is plenty big enough
for all the KDE windows I've seen while some of them are too large for
800x600.)

If you're running at 800x600 already, and windows are still too big,
there are ways to move and resize windows even when all the handles are
off the screen.  In KDE, hold down Alt, left-click, and drag to move a
window.  To resize a window, hold down Alt, right-click, and drag.  HTH,

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /  Workin' in a code mine, hittin' Ctrl-Alt
http://www.brainbench.com     /   Workin' in a code mine, whoops!
=============================/    I hit a seg fault....

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David Efflandt)
Subject: Re: r/w attribs when burning CDs for DOS
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2001 22:14:31 +0000 (UTC)

On Sun, 11 Mar 2001 10:35:58 +0100, malicorne <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>  I am making backups of Win/DOS data on CDROM using mkisofs and cdrecord.
>Works all right, but when I copy this data in a directory to use with
>Windows every single file is marked as read-only, which is not very useful
>and a bit of  a hassle to fix since the DOS attrib command is not recursive
>on sub-directories I think.

I don't think it is just a Windows thing.  Since you are copying them from
a read-only media, the destination files end up with the same non-write
permission of the files on cd.  I have this same problem with work related
CD-R written by Windows or Mac, no write permission.

I have not used DOS for years (other than ftp client) and it no longer has
help files, so I forgot how to use 'attrib'.  Rather tedius to do from
Explorer.

In Linux it is easy enough to do: chmod -R u+w [dir]
Or if you trust your umask: chmod -R +w [dir]

--
David Efflandt  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  http://www.de-srv.com/
http://www.autox.chicago.il.us/  http://www.berniesfloral.net/

------------------------------

From: "nag" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Partitioning for Linux
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2001 22:19:12 GMT

/boot  - 20MB
/var    - 50 MB for a home machine

/        - 100
/home - 100 - 500 MB?

/usr - rest of the disk

This is the configuration on my samba server. The shares exposed by samba
are located on a secondary 8 gig hdd, so my 2 gig is the OS disk

Just one view.
Wait for others.
bye

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: how to network?
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2001 16:24:44 -0600

I have two linux boxes on my desk.  What is the easiest way to connect
them so I can telnet and ftp from one to the other?  Each box has a plug
and play ethernet card.  I've read the various howtos, but they seem to be
overkill.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.hardware
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2001 22:31:12 GMT

In comp.os.linux.misc bmeson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi, I have a Linux and a Windows PC. I need to connect them together and to
> the cable modem. I also want the outside world be able see my Linux machine
> (I want to setup Linux as webserver, ftp and telnet, etc.) I'm thinking
> buying a hub for this task.

> So what is the proper connection? is it

> cable modem --- Linux --- Hub --- Windows

> or

> cable modem --- Hub --- Linux
>                             ------ Windows

> Or should I use something other than hub?

> Thanks.

I would strongly suggest you connect the linux box to the modem, then
another NIC in the linux box to the hub, then to the win machine...

TW being the way they are about multiple machines sharing the cable
connection...  :-)

BTW - there is a LUG forming in Ithaca - check the latest Pennysaver
for the tel. # of the person starting this up.  I don't have a
copy on hand, or I'd let you know...  (I live in Trumansburg, so
if you want, send me e-mail (take out the NO-SPAM) and I can call
and talk this over or even come and help out if needed....)

Kris

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Anyone ever ran Linux on Sun Sparc?
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2001 22:34:00 GMT

Pjtg0707 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi all,

> I have a couple of Sparc 2 machines I am thinking about getting them up
> and running again, and I am pondering if I shoud load them up with
> Redhat Linux or stick with Solaris. I am wondering what the software
> availability and performance will be like with Linux comparing to
> Solaris.

> I'll mainly be using the machines as intranet server and desktop X
> station for C/Perl program development.

Well, I've got an old SparcClassic with RH on it...  WOrks well,
albeit slow...  Old machine and all...  I do know that it runs RH
faster then Solaris, which I tried at one point....  As far as
software, pretty much all that is avail for linux is avail for
Lnx Sparc - you may have to recompile it tho....  Just make sure
that you don't get UltraSparc software...  *grin*

Kris

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: how to network?
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2001 22:38:24 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> I have two linux boxes on my desk.  What is the easiest way to connect
> them so I can telnet and ftp from one to the other?  Each box has a plug
> and play ethernet card.  I've read the various howtos, but they seem to be
> overkill.

How about a crossover ethernet cable...  If all you need is ftp and telnet,
then you should be set - just make sure the ftp and telnet servers and
clients are loaded on both machines...

Kris

------------------------------

From: buffalo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: ssh on RedHat 6.2
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2001 22:40:20 GMT

I'm trying to install ssh rpms on my RedHat 6.2 box.  New versions of
initscripts and glibc are required.  I've heard I can break my system by
switching to the higher version of glibc.  Is this true?  What advice?

------------------------------

From: Bora Ugurlu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: A Better Web Browser...PLEASE!
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2001 23:45:01 +0100

Bob Hauck wrote:

> On Sun, 11 Mar 2001 08:06:17 -0500, Rick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>>Does Opera do secure pages yet?
>
> Yes but no Java or plugins.  Very fast though, and low memory use
> compared to Mozilla or Netscape.

I don't know if Konqueror (KDE 2.1) uses shtml, but  it is pretty fast, and
very stable, Java Support included..

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2001 22:57:03 GMT

Bob Hauck <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Sun, 11 Mar 2001 08:06:17 -0500, Rick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>>Does Opera do secure pages yet?

> Yes but no Java or plugins.  Very fast though, and low memory use

I prefer my java running on the server anyhow :-) and I don't have much
use for plugins. The only one I ever have a use for is realaudio and I
usually just use realplayer or the trplayer command line utility to
listen to realaudio (I have little scripts written for my favorite
channels so if I want to listen to the bbs world service I just type:
"bbcws" into an xterm or virtual terminal.

What Opera does have going for it is a great interface, a well though
out feature set, fast  loading/rendering, a small memory foot print,
and it is - if I remember correctly ~ a 2 meg download. Finally,
unlike IE you don't have to install Windows to run it.

> compared to Mozilla or Netscape.

Even if speed were not an issue I would probably only  run one of these
bigger browsers on the rare ocassion  that I wanted to use flash/shockwave...
I would still stick with Opera as my main browser tho because I really
like the interface/feature set. With advertising rates going through
the floor I suspect that users will see fewer and fewer high-bandwidth
flash sites in the next little while anyhow.

regards,
-f

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ali Sadik-Ogli)
Subject: metamail errors
Date: 11 Mar 2001 23:09:43 GMT

On my mandarke 6.1 machine, when I try to run Lynx, I get a message:
metamail: Can't open temporary file!

I'd like to know
1. How to make Lynx not use metamail.
2. How to figure out why I'm getting this message and how to fix it.
(I have all the permissions set correctly on the /tmp dir.)

I don't really care about the ability to handle different MIME types
so just making Lynx NOT use metamail would be fine.