From: "Christopher W. Aiken" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: MouseMan ?
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2001 21:42:16 -0400

I got a Fathers' Day present of a Logitech Cordless MouseMan Optical
mouse.  Has anyone have this mouse?  Will it work under Linux or
FreeBSD?

-=[cwa]=-
FreeBSD 4.2

------------------------------

From: "Jeff D. Hamann" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.windows.x.kde
Subject: why is there no cut/copy option???
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2001 19:59:48 -0700

Why is there no cut/copy option in the GNOME terminal window? That's really
annoying since I want to build a script file using sql statements from MySQL
and want to be able to paste them into a script file, but don;t want to run
the entire script each time to find out of the query in question worked
correctly.

Thanks,
Jeff.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Subject: Re: VIM Probs
Date: 18 Jun 2001 03:19:29 GMT

On Sun, 17 Jun 2001 13:14:57 +0100, David Griffith staggered into the
Black Sun and said:
>When I use vim as gvim I have no problems
>When I use vim at the shell, I sometimes get problems with cursor keys
>If i press left,right,up,down I get capital letters from A-D, each on a
>new line
>It  only happens in insert mode.
>Any clues?

DO you have "compatible" set?  This behavior is what the original vi
did.  The vt100 sequence for "Left Arrow" is ESC, [, A, so you can
imagine what that would do to vi when you're in insert mode.  vim uses
the terminfo database and ncurses to determine which key sequences
correspond to which actual commands.  (see term.txt in the vim manual
for more than you ever wanted to know.)  You should have "set
nocompatible" as the first line in your ~/.vimrc , as the original vi
behavior is fairly nasty compared with what vim can do.  HTH,

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /  Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best
http://www.brainbench.com     /   friend.  Inside of a dog, it's too dark
=============================/    to read.  ==Groucho Marx

------------------------------

From: Roger Lindmark <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re:  XChat 1.7.7-1 problem
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 05:31:55 +0200

Roger Lindmark wrote:

> 208.7.71.51 [hamad] wrote:
>
>> in xchat setup go to notification and then in notify check interval set
>> it to 15 sec and it should be fine then, if doesnt work delete ur conf
>> dir rm -rf .xchat and start ur xchat again.
>
> Thanks for your suggestions! Notify check interval was already checked to
> 15 s, so I deleted all nicks in the Notify list and then it worked. BUT,
> after adding them the problem appeared again.
>
> Your suggestion:
> rm -rf .xchat
> did work very well and everything seems normal now.

However, the solution was just momentary and I got the problem again. To be
able to connect, I have to decrease the Notify list to 3 nicks only and
then connection is normal. Maybe a bug?

Sincerely Yours

Roger

--
Roger Lindmark
OS/2 Warp 4.06

------------------------------

From: David <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.windows.x.kde
Subject: Re: why is there no cut/copy option???
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 04:13:56 GMT

"Jeff D. Hamann" wrote:

> Why is there no cut/copy option in the GNOME terminal window? That's really
> annoying since I want to build a script file using sql statements from MySQL
> and want to be able to paste them into a script file, but don;t want to run
> the entire script each time to find out of the query in question worked
> correctly.
>
> Thanks,
> Jeff.

Highlight the text you want to copy then move to the window you want to
paste it into and center click where you want it.

Registered with the Linux Counter.  http://counter.li.org
ID # 123538
Completed more W/U's than 99.258% of seti users. +/- 0.01%

------------------------------

Subject: Re: 4DOS-like cd in a linux shell
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Glenn Trigg)
Date: 18 Jun 2001 14:16:53 +1000

[EMAIL PROTECTED] () writes:

> On 15 Jun 2001 02:28:47 -0700, Sune Trudslev <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >Hello there,
> >

> >I am new to linux and I have been using DOS since the beginning of
> >time with 4DOS as a shell.
> >
> >So I am very used to being able to change directory by typing the
> >directory name and end with a backslash, and the the shell will change
> >to that directory.
> >

> >I was wondering if anybody knew of a shell under linux that can do
> >this. I can use filename completion to actually get the directory name
> >under bash, but it just complains that it's a directory.
> >

> >TIA!
> >

> >Regards,
> >
> >Sune Trudslev
> >Linux-newbie.. ;-)
>
> Check out zsh (http://sunsite.dk/zsh/).  It can do what you're looking
> for (see the AUTO_CD option) and much more.
>
> Peter

Yes. Zsh is the shell to use. To save you from having to read the man
pages right away type:

setopt autocd

on the command line to get the 4DOS cd behaviour.

If I remember correctly tcsh could also do that, but I left tcsh for zsh
a year or so ago and my memory is fuzzy!

(Actually looking in my old .tcshrc you can do a "set implicitcd" to get
that behaviour, so my memory isn't too bad yet.)

Regards,
Glenn Trigg

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Subject: Re: Would like to choose sig at post time
Date: 18 Jun 2001 04:24:05 GMT

On 17 Jun 2001 22:20:13 GMT, Larry Ebbitt staggered into the Black Sun
and said:
>I would like to be able to choose my signature dynamically, according
>to the object of the post.  I have gotten used to this using PMmail on
>OS/2.  Normally, I have a simple sig (see below). but on an F-150
>mailing list I use, everyone likes to see a list of what goodies are
>installed on your truck.  I have a sneaking suspicion that nobody on
>the linux lists wants to see this <g>.
>
>I've done Google searches, Freshmeat searches, and Sourceforge searches
>with "choose signature" as keywords to no avail.  I did find programs
>that would set a random signatue, but that's not what I need.
>
>Hints would be more than welcome.  I'm using Nutscrape for mail and
>slrn for news.

I don't know of any external hooks that Nutscape has for interfacing
with sigmonsters.  kmail, OTOH, has the capability built right in, and
kmail uses mbox format just like Nutscape does.  (Still, Real Men use
mutt....)

Something like this has worked reasonably well for me with slrn.  I have
this snippet stored in ~/.slrn.sl , and I have the line
   interpret ".slrn.sl"
in my ~/.slrnrc .  The ~/.signature file I use for non-Linux groups is
randomly generated by a cron-job Perl script every 10 minutes, while my
Linux-NG signature is relatively constant.  HTH,

define article_mode_hook ()
      {
         variable signature_file = ".signature";
         if (0 == strncmp (current_newsgroup (), "comp.os.linux.", 12))
           signature_file = ".linux-signature";
         set_string_variable ("signature", signature_file);
      }

From: Lupei Zhu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: HELP: restore linux from  backup
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2001 21:26:38 -0700

Hi,

  your method is good provided that you have a working system and an
spare disk. what do you do if your Linux system was  crashed and all
you've got are a tape backup and an installation CD?

  thanks for your help.

  Lupei

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2001 21:58:41 -0700
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: HP PhotoSmart 215

GPhoto has this camera listed as supported, but how the hell do I get it
to work?  I am thinking that the kernel is not supporting it, I have
driver=none in devices.  I tried dc2xx and the storage, which it seems
where the most likely....but they did not work.  Has anyone had any luck
with this camera?

------------------------------

From: Ace Jones <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: any Iomega ZIP USB users?
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 05:01:45 GMT

Jerry Kreps wrote:
> Ray wrote:
>
>> hi
>>
>> i'm considering buying an external Iomega Zip 100 USB drive to use
>> with my laptop (toshiba sat pro 4340) which has an Intel 82371AB
>> PIIX4 USB controller and running linux 2.4.3.
>
> My own experience with USB is that it doesn't work very well yet.  It
> hogs CPU resources.  I have one box with a ZIP100 and another with a
> Zip100.  Both are parallel port devices.  If I were to purchase
> another Zip drive I would make in a SCSI device.  In fact, I would
> make all my peripherals and HDs SCSI.
> JMO...

I have a USB Jaz and a USB Zip, using a 2.4.3 kernel I built from sources.
I had to load the modules myself and set up the auto-mounting myself, but
a proper distro would probably set all this up.

Personally, I've found USB flawless for my needs.  I also use a USB
keyboard, mouse, and Rio 500 MP3 player.  I've never experienced the memory
hogging Jerry is talking about.  The most CPU time I've ever been able to get
the usb-storage process up to is about 0.7% on my PII/400.  (Unless that IS
hogging!)

</Ace>

------------------------------

From: "Dave Stanton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Pan newsreader program - can't post
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 06:10:07 +0100

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "maddman"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I'm a relative linux newbie.  I've been running the Pan newsreader for
> the last couple days, and I absolutely love it!  The only problem is I
> can't figure out how to post.  It looks like everything is posting okay,
> but the messages never show up in the newsgroups.
>
> I looked in the configuration, and the line for default mail was
> something like xterm -e mutt and then the %t,%R stuff for sender etc.
> From what I gathered from the man pages, xterm -e starts up another
> program in this case mutt.  But I couldn't find anything on mutt.  I use
> kmail for my mail client.  Am I correct in thinking I need to point pan
> to kmail to send a message out, or need to configure mutt to send the
> mail out to my mail server?  Anyone who could tell me how to do either
> of these things would be much appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> maddman

I use Kmail, just delete the name mutt and insert kmail instead. Then
when you reply by email it will call up kmail. Postings to ng are done
via smtp which you should have set on the install screen.

Cheers

Dave

------------------------------

From: Ian Mortimer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: unable to find a file !
Date: 18 Jun 2001 05:22:53 GMT

In comp.os.linux.misc Steve Martin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Also make sure it's a type of executable that  your kernel
> supports. I had an executable I downloaded and tried to run,
> turned out it was built as an a.out and my kernel only had
> support for ELF executables. The error messages I got were
> similar to what you reported.

Another possibility is that it was built on a libc based system
and you're trying to execute it on a glibc based system.
Symptoms would be like this:

   -rwx------    1 root    root      223276 Jun 18 15:01 lmgrd
   > file lmgrd
   lmgrd: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1, dynamically
   linked (uses shared libs), stripped
   > ldd lmgrd
   /usr/bin/ldd: ./lmgrd: No such file or directory
   > ./lmgrd
   bash: ./lmgrd: No such file or directory

In that case your options are to get a glibc compatible version
from the vendor or install libc and related tools from an
earlier release of your OS.

For RH 7.x you could install the libc5 and ld.so rpms from
RH 6.2.  (I haven't tried that myself but it should work.)

------------------------------

From: gerrybe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Download binary
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 05:30:08 -0000

How i do to download on a binary mode in linux?

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (phil hunt)
Subject: Re: Opening tgz files in MS Windows
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 00:49:53 +0100

On 17 Jun 2001 19:21:37 GMT, Robert Heller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>AddEncoding x-gzip tgz
>
>to one of the config files for your webserver

Unfortunately, it isn't *my* webserver, it's Demon Internet's cheap-and-
cheerful webhosting service.

The list of mime types can be got from
http://www.homepages.demon.co.uk/mime_types.txt
and doesn't include anything for .tgz

Presumably it should be:

tgz     application/x-gzip

>Assuming that your server is a UNIX box, transmitting a *binary file*
>to another UNIX box in text mode is *generally* harmless, but to a
>MS-Win box, all of the '\n' line characters are being replaced with
>'\r\n' sequences, which is sure to confuse WinZip.

This sounds very likely to be the problem.

I've sent an email to Demon asking them to fix it. Thanks everyone
for helping.

--
##  Philip Hunt                   ##
##  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  ##

------------------------------

From: "phil hunt" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 01:09:54 +0100

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I'm a relative linux newbie.  I've been running the Pan newsreader for
> the last couple days, and I absolutely love it!  The only problem is I
> can't figure out how to post.  It looks like everything is posting okay,
> but the messages never show up in the newsgroups.
>
> I looked in the configuration, and the line for default mail was
> something like xterm -e mutt and then the %t,%R stuff for sender etc.
> From what I gathered from the man pages, xterm -e starts up another
> program in this case mutt.  But I couldn't find anything on mutt.  I use
> kmail for my mail client.  Am I correct in thinking I need to point pan
> to kmail to send a message out,

I wouldn't have thought so. Mutt's an email program; when posting
as news post it needs to be sent to your newsserver using the nntp
protocol -- email has nothing to do with it, it's just that email and
news use similar formats.

I am replying to your message using Pan... let's see if you get this.

--
Phil Hunt

------------------------------

From: "Wong Ching Kuen Frederick" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: password encryption using crypt()
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 14:18:06 +0800

i want to store some sort of passwd in a text file using the crypt function.
however, i find out that the encrypted string is different at each time of
generation. so how could i know the password entered by the user is the same
as that in the database? thanks in advance.

fred

------------------------------

From: Antonius Herry Sukardi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: DFE-538TX on Red Hat 7.0
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 14:05:55 +0700

I tried almost something like that.  I used insmod, instead, to install the driver
from /lib/modules/2.2.16-22/net
directory that has the RH7.0 driver.

#insmod rtl8139.o
and this is the error messages I got:
rtl8139.o: unresolved symbol Pci_drv_unregistered
rtl8139.o: unresolved symbol Pci_drv_registered

Under Mandrake 7.2 which I think based on RH6.x, I also tried to use the rtl8139.o
provided by the system, but it
failed also.  I don't remember how it failed.  But when I compiled the source code
driver of the DFE-538TX that I
got from the card, it compiled and run successfully.

------------------------------

From: "Nils O. Selåsdal" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.linux,alt.os.linux,alt.os.linux.mandrake,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: Re: Upgrading glibc
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 09:04:41 +0200

"David Liana" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> I have Mandrake 8.0.  I want to upgrade glibc (2.2.2 comes with
> mandrake,installed by rpms, I want to upgrade to 2.2.3 - I just want
> learn how to do it)
>
> How can I make this upgrade without mudering my system?
> I want to make it my default C library.  Most of the howto's explain
for
> more drastic upgrades.
>
> I have tried upgrading with little sucess.
Well, if it comes in rpm files you do the ordinaery stuff.
rpm -Uvh glibc*
(bear in mind that glibc is a VERY vital part , and if binary
compability of certain things
are broken, your system becomes unuseable. It was ok on my RH 7.1
machine upgrading
from 2.2.2 to 2.2.3 though)