On 6/17/07, Jan Willem Stumpel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
After a fresh install of dosemu 1.4 (I used the Debian package)
there is a directory ~/.dosemu/drives which contains

lrwxrwxrwx 1 jws users   25 2007-06-17 10:54 c ->
/home/jws/.dosemu/drive_c
lrwxrwxrwx 1 jws users   23 2007-06-17 10:54 d ->
/usr/lib/dosemu/drive_z

(I suppose in the .rpm version the link "d" would point at
/usr/share/dosemu/drive_z).

Yes

What do these links do? After starting dosemu, the D: drive is
$HOME, not /usr/lib/dosemu/drive_z (which is Z:). It must be the
AUTOEXEC.BAT in ~/.dosemu/drive_c that does this, but why? And how
does it work?

CONFIG.SYS cannot see drive Z: yet (a DOS limitation: DOS just assigns
C:, D:, etc) so it temporarily uses drive D: instead to access the
relevant files (ems.sys, lredir.exe, etc). Then the lredir command is
used in config.sys and autoexec.bat to set the drives to what you see
after starting dosemu. D: is set to $HOME because it was there in
1.2.x too.

Bart