Robert Komar wrote:

I'm not an expert on fontconfig, but have you checked that X uses the
/usr/local/share/fonts directory?  "xset q" will show you all the
directories in your font path.  They are usually specified in the
/etc/X11/xorg.conf file.  Changing the latter file requires that
X be restarted.  Also, if you're running xdosemu remotely, then you'll
have to add the fonts on the machine that is displaying the window.

Cheers,
Rob Komar

Thanks very much Robert for your information and especially your advice about xset.

My 'xset -q' shows that most of my font directories are in /usr/share/X11/fonts and subdirectories of that. They are as specified in xorg.conf.

This contradicts information in /etc/fonts/fonts.conf which says that fonts can also be in ~/.fonts, /usr/share/fonts and /usr/local/share/fonts.

Is it possible that xset -q only lists the directories specified in xorg.conf?

I copied all of my vga* fonts into /usr/share/X11/fonts/misc
and ran mkfontdir and fc-cache -f -v.

I also rebooted even though xorg.conf was not changed.

However, when dosemu starts it still does not pickup the 12x30 font I have selected in ~/.dosemurc. All the vga fonts appear in the directory but the 12x30 font does not appear in fonts.alias.

I checked two other smaller vgannxnn fonts that worked ok but I'd like to get the 12x30 working.

I renamed fonts.alias and fonts.dir and re-ran mkfontdir but fonts.alias was not created. Is there a special command to do that?

Thanks for your help.

--
Larry Alkoff N2LA - Austin TX
Using Thunderbird on Linux