Linux-Networking Digest #676, Volume #10         Tue, 30 Mar 99 11:13:42 EST

Contents:
  Re: am-utils (amd) & smbfs (smbmount)  -- automount frustation ("Steven R. Levitt")
  Re: cable modem doesn't work under linux -- strange (Jim Roberts)
  Antivirus on network connections ("Albert Want")
  Re: Accessing same HD by Linux & WinNT ("Steven R. Levitt")
  Re: Using Linux instead of NT Server in home environment.... ("M. Brian Akins")
  Re: Win terminal for Linux? (Brian McCauley)
  Good IP masquerading web site??? (Jon Slater)
  Re: /etc/hosts.deny syntax differs from man pages ? (Chris J/#6)
  modem/ppp setup problem (tcgetattr I/O error ? ) ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: An SNMP Question... ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Using Linux instead of NT Server in home environment.... (sandrews)
  help me please!! ("Xarj")
  external ISDN Modem / PPP Connection ("Wolfgang Falk")
  Re: PPP permissions (Silviu Minut)
  Re: module/depmod problem..... (Brian McCauley)
  Re: hostname prob + sendmail hangs machine (TS Stahl)
  NIS Problem (Vincent DELOYE)
  Re: IDENT on masquerade? (Jon-o Addleman)
  Re: Routing and Linux (Brian McCauley)
  Re: ipfwadm: setsockopt err. Masquerading dead (Steve King)
  Re: PPP IP address (Brian McCauley)

From: "Steven R. Levitt" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.redhat,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: am-utils (amd) & smbfs (smbmount)  -- automount frustation
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 1999 12:45:11 GMT

You are absolutely right!  The documentation for autofs does indicate that
it will mount smbfs shares.  I guess I missed that the first time through
the documentation.  Thanks.

I turned the autofs utility back on, setup the auto.* files according to all
of the examples I've researched, and restarted autofs.  After many tries
last evening, I still can't get it to work.

I guess if I bang my head against the wall a little harder, I might have
some success.

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...

------------------------------

From: Jim Roberts <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: athome.users-general
Subject: Re: cable modem doesn't work under linux -- strange
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1999 17:48:17 GMT

Sounds like you don't have a default route set-up.

Try netstat -nr and see if your router provide
shows up.

------------------------------

From: "Albert Want" <al-want@#--remove--#usa.net>
Crossposted-To: uk.comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Antivirus on network connections
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 1999 10:01:51 +0100

Does anyone know if there is an antivirus (also commercial) that scans at
run-time all the network connections (I'd like to install it on a firewall)
??

Thanks in advance!

------------------------------

From: "Steven R. Levitt" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.redhat,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Accessing same HD by Linux & WinNT
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 1999 13:28:19 GMT

Yes, I am successfully using samba for basic file sharing, but I don't
really care for the FTP like interface.  So, I'm also using smbfs and
struggling to get autofs to deal with my WinNT shares.  But that's another
story.

Will samba support running Linux executables residing on FAT and/or NTFS
partitions?

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 30 Mar 1999 06:58:43 -0500
From: "M. Brian Akins" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Using Linux instead of NT Server in home environment....

Perhaps you cannot read the newsgroups title, *.linux.*.  I know that a properly
configured Linux box will not crash, and I think I speak for most here -- I
don't care what NT does, I read this ng for linux info.

------------------------------

From: Brian McCauley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: Win terminal for Linux?
Date: 29 Mar 1999 18:47:13 +0100

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jeffrey Altman) writes:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> Kevin White  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> : Hi, I love using my linux box, but sometimes have to work on the other
> : boxes (Win95 or WinNT).  I would like to be able to do my linux "work"
> : (emacs, compiling, working with files that are on my linux box, etc.)
> : from the Win95 or NT box.  Is this possible?  Is this what a "terminal
> : emulator" is for?  (Sorry, I'm quite a newbie to this stuff).  So, if a
> : terminal emulator program is the right tool for the job, is there a free
> : one available for nt/95?  If there is a better way to do this, please
> : offer whatever suggestions you can.
>
> Kermit 95 provides terminal emulation of the Linux Console.

But it contains an annoying and unsightly bug (I know am am using it
to type this) which causes test to appear black-on-white against a
black background.  Looks like something from the early 80's.

--
     \\   ( )  No male bovine  | Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  .  _\\__[oo   faeces from    | Phones: +44 121 471 3789 (home)

------------------------------

From: Jon Slater <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Good IP masquerading web site???
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1999 11:04:28 -0700

Can someone point me to a good IP masquerading web site?

Or other reliable resource?

Thanks in advance!

Jon
--
Jon D. Slater                   QualComm Inc.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]     6150 Lookout Road

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chris J/#6)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: /etc/hosts.deny syntax differs from man pages ?
Date: 29 Mar 1999 19:13:06 +0100

You can do away with hosts.deny totally, as the extended options also have
ALLOW and DENY keywords, for use in hosts.allow...for example, I have no
hosts.deny, and instead have in hosts.allow...:

in.ntalkd: ALL: rfc931 5: ALLOW
in.talkd: ALL: rfc931 5: ALLOW
tcp-env: LOCAL: setenv RELAYCLIENT: ALLOW
tcp-env: .cej.net: setenv RELAYCLIENT: ALLOW
tcp-env: .madhouse: setenv RELAYCLIENT: ALLOW
tcp-env: PARANOID: rfc931 5: spawn (/etc/access/bin/paranoid_log %a %h %u %d &): ALLOW
ALL: PARANOID: rfc931 5: banners /etc/access/dns: spawn (/etc/access/bin/paranoid_log
%a %h %u %d &): DENY
in.fingerd: ALL: rfc931 5: spawn (/etc/access/bin/fingalert): banners
/etc/access/allowed: ALLOW
tcp-env: ALL: rfc931 5: ALLOW
ALL: LOCAL: banners /etc/access/allowed: ALLOW
ALL: 192.168.1.: banners /etc/access/allowed: ALLOW
ALL: .madhouse: banners /etc/access/allowed: ALLOW

ALL:ALL:rfc931 10: banners /etc/access/denied: spawn (/etc/access/bin/deny_log %a %h
%u %d &): DENY

As this is rules based, and rules at the top have high precedence than those
lower down, you can place all your rules in precedence order, and the last line
can be a blanket DENY for any other attempt. I prefer this much more to
seperate hosts.allow and hosts.deny - one file to manage, without any loss
of flexibility.

Banners are good fun as well, as you can create connection messages for each
service that uses tcp_wrappers, whether they are a valid connection or not.

Chris...

--
O--------------------------------------------------O---  Chris Johnson ---O
 \  And the devil in a black dress watches over     \                     \

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.protocols.ppp
Subject: modem/ppp setup problem (tcgetattr I/O error ? )
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1999 18:43:55 GMT

Hello,

I am Having some problems setting up a new modem
I have described the problem in detail below

I would greatly appreciate any help in configuring the modem
Thanks -Amit

Redhat 5.0
Linux version 2.0.32 ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
US Robotics 56K v.90 internal modem Model 5685 (NOT a winmodem)
Shows up on COM2 under win95
The Only cards I have are the modem and a SB16 Sound card

Following shows up among startup messagess
Serial driver version 4.13 with no serial options enabled
tty00 at 0x03f8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A
tty01 at 0x02f8 (irq = 3) is a 16550A

minicom does not work with ttyS0, ttyS1, cua0 OR cua1
setserial -ga /dev/ttyS* OR setserial -ga /dev/cua* gives the following

/dev/cua0, Line 0, UART: 16550A, Port: 0x03f8, IRQ: 4
   Baud_base: 115200, close_delay: 50, divisor: 0
   closing_wait: 3000, closing_wait2: infinte
   Flags: spd_normal skip_test

/dev/cua1, Line 1, UART: 16550A, Port: 0x02f8, IRQ: 3
   Baud_base: 115200, close_delay: 50, divisor: 0
   closing_wait: 3000, closing_wait2: infinte
   Flags: spd_vhi skip_test

/dev/cua2, Line 2, UART: unknown, Port: 0x03e8, IRQ: 4
   Baud_base: 115200, close_delay: 50, divisor: 0
   closing_wait: 3000, closing_wait2: infinte
   Flags: spd_normal skip_test

/dev/cua3, Line 3, UART: unknown, Port: 0x02e8, IRQ: 3
   Baud_base: 115200, close_delay: 50, divisor: 0
   closing_wait: 3000, closing_wait2: infinte
   Flags: spd_normal

Running pppd with /dev/ttyS1 causes the following messages in the log
Trying to connect using kppp always gives modem busy
kernel: PPP: version 2.2.0 (dynamic channel allocation)
kernel: PPP Dynamic channel allocation code copyright 1995 Caldera, Inc.
kernel: PPP line discipline registered.
kernel: registered device ppp0
pppd[355]: pppd 2.3.3 started by root, uid 0
pppd[355]: tcgetattr: Input/output error(5)
pppd[355]: Exit.
kernel: PPP: ppp line discipline successfully unregistered

Running pppd with /dev/ttyS0 causes the following messages in the log
Trying to connect using kppp always says  modem ready then gives a
message modem not responding.

kernel: PPP: version 2.2.0 (dynamic channel allocation)
kernel: PPP Dynamic channel allocation code copyright 1995 Caldera, Inc.
kernel: PPP line discipline registered.
kernel: registered device ppp0
pppd[387]: pppd 2.3.3 started by root, uid 0
chat[388]: abort on (BUSY)
chat[388]: send (ATDT3522288^M)
chat[388]: expect (CONNECT)
chat[388]: alarm
chat[388]: Failed
pppd[387]: Connect script failed
pppd[387]: Exit.

I am using the following connect script

#!/usr/bin/perl
# Script to establish connection from a Linux system to
# worldnet via PPP.
#
# Look at WORLDNET\PROGRAM\REG.INI (WORLDNET\DIALER\REG.INI
# and ATT.SR under WorldNet version 1) to get the following
# settings.
#
$DOMAIN="worldnet.att.net";
$SEARCH=$DOMAIN;
$NAMESERVER1="204.127.160.1";
$NAMESERVER2="204.127.129.1";
$NAMESERVER3="204.127.129.2";
$NAME="myname\@worldnet.att.net";
$PHONE="3522288";
$MODEM="/dev/ttyS1"; #originally/dev/modem

$resolv = '>/etc/resolv.conf';

open(CONF,$resolv)|| die "Cannot open file: $resolv.\n  $! \n";

print CONF "\#resolv.conf - created by ".$ARGV."\n";
print CONF "domain ".$DOMAIN."\n";
print CONF "search ".$SEARCH."\n";
print CONF "nameserver ".$NAMESERVER1."\n";
print CONF "nameserver ".$NAMESERVER2."\n";
print CONF "nameserver ".$NAMESERVER3."\n";

$command="/usr/sbin/pppd name \"".$NAME."\"".
    " -d connect \'/usr/sbin/chat -t 45 -v ABORT BUSY \"\" ATDT".
    $PHONE." CONNECT \"\"\' ".$MODEM.
    " 57600 noipdefault modem defaultroute crtscts";
$ENV{'PATH'} = ''; # Make $ENV{'PATH'} untainted
                 system($command);

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.lunix.questions,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: An SNMP Question...
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 1999 10:47:15 GMT

This: http://break.org/tommy/linux/mrtg/ worked for me! (-:

Date: Tue, 30 Mar 1999 08:53:17 -0500
From: sandrews <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
microsoft.public.windowsnt.misc,microsoft.public.windowsnt.setup,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup

"Alexander I. Butenko" wrote:

> John Nelson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >
> > vaclav vyvoda wrote in message ...
> > >..and thank you for the typical MS PR BS..
> >
> > Well..., he started out telling the truth...
> > >
> > >On Alexander I. Butenko [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > >: ANyway I greatly doubt that Linux will be easier to use than NT Server.
> > I'm
> >

> > It IS easier to get an NT box running and doing common tasks.
> >
> > Getting it running RIGHT, without BSOD's and other annoyances, is often
> > another kettle of fish, especially when bringing more services online that
> > just what comes in the NT package.
> >
> > The sad fact, STILL, is that Linux is a pain in the ass to install and
> > configure unless you know what you're doing.
> > And THAT fact is what is keeping Linux from making inroads into markets
> like
> > small business and home networks.
> >
> > That said, there are a few products available that shield the user from
> most
> > of this complexity. The Cobalt Qube and Corel Netwinder are two examples
> of
> > how it SHOULD be. Maybe its too much to expect from the Linux development
> > community, and we'll just have to rely on profiteers who understand the
> > needs and wants of the marketplace better.
> >
> > >: sure that NT Server will be a ideal use for a small home network,
> becaus
> > >: eit's very easy to configure comparable to Linux and supports most
> > network
> > >: clients better.
> >

> > Rubbish. NT is expensive in itself. It demands more expensive hardware to
> > deliver an equal level of performance. What network clients does Linux not
> > support?
> >

> I;m not discussing the price but the complexity of the Setup.
>
> Also cna you say that Unix SAMBA works as good with Windows clients as teh
> Native NT Server?
>
> How about Macintosh clients?

Yes, Samba makes a better windows server than nt server himself, when
you connect
more than 25 to 30 users.....It is up to 250% faster than nt if your
using samba
on RedHat linux.

--
"Linux, because a cpu is a terrible thing to waste."
"When people understand what Microsoft is up to, they're outraged."

------------------------------

From: "Xarj" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.x,linux.redhat,linux.redhat.install
Subject: help me please!!
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 1999 16:52:38 +0200

I had win98 installed before and i decided to install rehat 5.2..... The
installation went fine, everything was perfect but as a newbie i was
fiddling with the linux config and i guess i changed something important
cause after that i wasn't able to load windows 98 NORMALY! When i type
windows98 in lilo it says the following :

Warning: Logical Drives past Z exist and will be ignored

and then my computer crashes....
The only way i was able to load windows was pressing the F8 key just after i
typed windows98 in lilo so i get this menu and load windows using the
"confirm each thing" mode...... i found out that if i refuse to load
DBLBUFF.SYS i could load windows....... So i was able to load windows and
write this letter to all you nice people!

When I'm in Windows and go into the explorer i see 26 drives A-Z........ A
to F is normal and the rest is the same drive as the C one... WHAT THE
HELL??????

PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!! how can i fix that prob? THANK YOU SOOOOOO MUCH!

One last thing! I tried to setup my Sound card in Linux without success.....
I use the Guillemot Home Studio Pro 64, a sound card for pros and
musicians..... Works great in windows 98!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the help!!!!

Could you reply to my email please!!?? [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Anybody knows if a new version of RedHat is coming out soon?????

THANKS!!!!

Xarj

------------------------------

From: "Wolfgang Falk" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: external ISDN Modem / PPP Connection
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 1999 16:22:07 +0200

Hello,

if anyone out there managed to establish an internet connection (ppp /hdlc)
with an external ISDN - Modem (elsa microlink tlv34) please answer the
solution..

i m trying since 3 weeks to get this shitty modem to connect to my provider
(analogue works fine) but i don't have an idea how to proceed the login
because i just get crypt signs instead of the login-prompt from my provider
.. (so no diald or other chat-based programs manage to login)

thanx in advance

wfalk
hawk

------------------------------

From: Silviu Minut <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.ppp
Subject: Re: PPP permissions
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 1999 10:12:23 -0500

Mladen Gavrilovic wrote:

> I can't figure out how to give normal users access to the Internet.
> I've created a script that runs my connect command, and put it in
> /usr/bin.  I tried it, and as a normal user it said that PPP wasn't part
> of the kernel (which was absurd, of course, because I could log on to
> the internet with no problems as root).  So I scoured dejanews a little
> bit, and came up with some things that didn't work, such as chmod 4755
> pppd and chmod 666 /dev/modem and chmod 4755 /dev/modem.  I've also run
> across some posts describing a pppd.users file in /etc, but I didn't get
> enough info to try creating it myself.  Anyone know how to get normal
> users access to the internet?  And on a side note, anyone know what
> permissions are default for /etc/ppp/pppd and /dev/modem, since I would
> like to set them back to what they were originally.  And is there a way
> to shut down the connection to the Internet without having to do ps,
> then kill the process number?
>
> Regards,
>
> Mladen

Note that /usr/sbin/pppd has owner root and group root (or on some
distributions dialout or pppusers). You need to make the mortal users
members to the ppp group. If the group is root, you obviously don't want to
do that. Therefore:

1) create a ppp group (if you don't already have one), say pppusers.
2) add each user to this group
3) chmod 4750 /usr/sbin/pppd

That's what I did and it works.

Silviu Minut

------------------------------

From: Brian McCauley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: module/depmod problem.....
Date: 29 Mar 1999 18:47:55 +0100

"Mike" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I have upgraded from Redhat 5.1 to 5.2.  When I boot I get error messages
> that it cannot find modules net-pf-4 and 5 which are appletalk and ipx. I
> have compiled my kernel to NOT include,  these yet I still get the
> error.

Well of course you do.  If you _had_ included them they they would be found.

> My /etc/conf.modules file is bare except for the nic's aliases.  The
> /lib/modules/* path does not contain the offending calls....  When I do
> modprobe -c I get the aliases that indicated the call to net-pf-4 and 5...
> Where is this being stored for call???

In the source of modprobe.  IMHO this was a bad design decision.

You can override the defaults in conf.modules.  Just alais them to "off".

> Please help,
>
> please copy [EMAIL PROTECTED] if you can...

That's presumably because you don't read the group.  If you read the
group you wouldn't need to as the question.

From: TS Stahl <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: Re: hostname prob + sendmail hangs machine
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 1999 09:07:02 -0600

yaniv levy wrote:

> Hello
> I'm running RedHat 5.0 on an i586 machine, and experiencing some
> problems while booting
> after i have changed the hostname from "localhost" to "bingo".
> the machine is connected to a LAN with three computers without any
> connection outside.
> all machines have the same problem. (of course, each has different name
> 3. my /etc/hosts looks like that
>
> 127.0.0.1    localhost

try 127.0.0.1 bingo, assuming this machine IS bingo

--
Scott Stahl
MIS Asst.

------------------------------

From: Vincent DELOYE <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: NIS Problem
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 1999 17:00:53 +0200

Hello everybody,
I configure my Linux box as ypserver (ypbind is also running).
domainname command output the right domain but console (or if i use
command like tar) tell me that "YPBINDPROC_DOMAIN : Domain not bound".

What do i do to set YPBINDPROC_DOMAIN variable ?

Thanks for your help.
|         Vincent Deloye         |           Societe S.S.T.I          |
|      Analyste Programmeur      |         31, av. Champollion        |
|                                |       31100 Toulouse - FRANCE      |
| mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]  |         Tel: 05 61 43 65 65        |

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jon-o Addleman)
Subject: Re: IDENT on masquerade?
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 1999 15:06:55 GMT

Once upon a  Mon, 29 Mar 1999 06:28:51 -0500, "Curt"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I use mident to deal with this.  I think it is a part of the RH5.2
>distribution.
>
>ftp://ftp.code.org/pub/linux/midentd/

I use it as well, and it is also available in the latest Debian
distro. And, of course, you can get it on freshmeat.
--

Jon-o Addleman

------------------------------

From: Brian McCauley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Routing and Linux
Date: 30 Mar 1999 12:11:23 +0100

"***" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I am Linux/Redhat Distribution user.  I have set up a ppp connection to the
> internet and I am able to connect to my internet service provider.

Please define "able to connect".  What evidence have you that you are
connected?  All the evidence you present indicates that you are not
connected.

From: Steve King <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: ipfwadm: setsockopt err. Masquerading dead
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 1999 16:22:54 +0100

I suspect that you have upgraded your kernel since getting it working.
ipfwadm is nolonger used
for masquerading.

use ipchains instead:

http://linux.ucs.indiana.edu/linux/LDP/HOWTO/mini/IP-Masquerade-3.html#ss3.4

--
Steve

------------------------------

From: Brian McCauley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: PPP IP address
Date: 30 Mar 1999 12:15:20 +0100

"R. Brooks" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I connect with PPP and am going to Cable Modem with
> DHCP.
> I need a way to obtain the IP address as a system variable
> so I can use IP chains to block connections to my box.
> Does anyone know if it is stored in some variable or
> a util to get it stored?

It is very rarely necessary to know your own IP address in order to
set up ipchains.