  Re: crashing when entering after login: window manager problem... (Ian Hay)

From: Jay Thorne <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
microsoft.public.windowsnt.misc,microsoft.public.windowsnt.setup,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Using Linux instead of NT Server in home environment....
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 15:31:12 GMT

Matthew Kirkcaldie wrote:

> In article <7dsf41$3a9$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Paul
> Anderson) wrote:
>
> >>How about Macintosh clients?
> >>
> >Does NT support AppleTalk out of the box?
>
> NT Server does, sometimes flakily ("Services for Macintosh").  You can get
> "netatalk" for Linux; I don't know how good it is.
>
>                      Matthew.

Netatalk with asun's patches WELL outperforms appleshare 3 on any mac you
care to name. I can get about 700 K/sec on a P200MMX server.

It does some nice things like map appletalk printers to let you print to
them from linux and therefore from Samba clients.

--
Jay Thorne  The Net Result System Services [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Http://net.result.com

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Networking puzzle
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 17:39:53 GMT

I am relatively new to linux, so be gentle...
That said...

I have successfully set up a simple home network.
I have a linux server with shares and a printer shared via samba.
PPP and IP Masquerading works fine so I can dial my ISP, and my attached Win98
PC can surf to it's hearts content.  Telnet, ftp, etc., etc., all working
internally and externally.  All relatively painless.

The puzzle... I recently installed diald, and all appeared to be working
fine.  Then I noticed diald was dialing out approximately every 15 minutes.
I searched the news groups, and found that lots of people had the same
problem, and also found many recommendations for solutions.

I added "ignore" rules to the standard.filter file for netbios-ns,
netbios-ssn, and netbios-dgm for tcp and udp.  This did not correct the
problem.  Running diald in debug 1 mode told me that the service causing
diald to dial was "domain".  Can't ignore domain requests... that's the first
thing your web browser sends out when requesting a web page.

I was able correct THIS problem by setting the linux system to be the "domain
master" in smb.conf.

But here is my situation.
I want to be able to dial in to my work network, and be able to browse the
network there.  If I have my linux system set as the master browser, none of
the computers at work show up in Network Neighborhood.  If I DON'T have the
linux box set up as master browser, I DO see all the computers at work AND my
linux shares and printer in Network Neighborhood.

BUT! As I stated before, if the linux box is NOT the master browser, diald
dials out every 15 minutes or so.  I assume this is because my Win98 system
at home delegates itself to be the master browser, and being so, it sends out
some sort of "domain check" every so often which triggers diald.

I though I could get around this by having the linux box set as domain master
in smb.conf, and setting the os level.  I read that an os level greater than
2 will beat a Win95 or Win98 machine, and an os level greater than 32 will
beat NT.  The server at my work is an NT box, so I thought if I set the level
to say 4, the linux box would be the master browser while not connected to
work, but when I log in the NT box will take over and I will be able to see
the computers at work in Net Hood.

Is the master browser NOT dynamic like this?  i.e. Once Windows has
established a master browser, can it not be changed until reboot.

If that is the case, then that would explain why I can browse both home and
work networks, if the Win98 machine is using itself as the master browser.

Is there a way to tell, from windows, who the master browser is?

Note: I am dialing directly from my Win98 PC into the network at work, not
from the linux system.  But I can dial my ISP from linux and use Masqurade.
I just can't do both at the same time since the two systems are sharing a
phone line. One thing I have not tried is dialing in to work on the linux
system.

Looking for clues here... some sort of magic configuration I guess.
I think you can tell that I've done my homework here. Now I need the help of a
guru.

Ed

From: "IVAL Informática" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Problem with rexec. No stderr. S.u.S.E. Linux 5.3.
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 19:50:51 +0200

Hello,

    I'm having problems with rexec. My server is running S.u.S.E. Linux
- Kernel 2.0.35. If I rexec a command from a Windows NT4 WS I get the
stdout, but not the stderr. The same command rexec to a SCO OpenServer
3.0 works fine. Why?.

Thanks.

------------------------------

From: Ernesto =?US-ASCII?Q?Hern=E1ndez-Novich?= <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Everyone is doing: Why can't I!?
Date: 31 Mar 1999 17:41:15 GMT

June Seek Choi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: Hi-

: /sbin/ipfwadm -F -p deny
: /sbin/ipfwadm -F -a m -S 192.168.1.0/24 -D 0.0.0.0/0

: It was executed with no error message but I still can't get out to the
: internet from luca. If I try to rlogin any other machine in the internet
: from luca I get

: Trying xxx.....
: Network is unreachable

Set vito as default gateway for luca.
Make sure IP forwarding is enabled.

--
Ernesto Hernández-Novich - [EMAIL PROTECTED] - Running Linux 2.2.1
Just another Unix/Perl/Java hacker.

------------------------------

From: Ernesto =?US-ASCII?Q?Hern=E1ndez-Novich?= <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: PPP Compression Modules not found
Date: 31 Mar 1999 17:35:45 GMT

root <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: I recently set up PPP on my Linux box.  I am connecting to an ISP and
: everytime I look at my syslog, I notice that the following messages
: pop-up:

: can't locate module ppp-compress-21
: can't locate module ppp-compress-26
: can't locate module ppp-compress-24

Put this in /etc/modules.conf

alias        ppp-compress-21     bsd_comp
alias        ppp-compress-24     ppp_deflate
alias        ppp-compress-26     ppp_deflate

: can't locate module net-pf-4
: can't locate module net-pf-5

alias        net-pf-3            off
alias        net-pf-4            off
alias        net-pf-5            off

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: nis/ypbind won't work
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 17:42:34 GMT

Which version of ypserv and ypbind are you using?  The HOWTO is not specific
to RedHat, and I would suggest that you download the most recent RPM's from
RedHat.  I had a similar problem...  (New RedHat RPM's are also associated
with FAQ writer Thorsten Kukuk, but I guess there are some differences (or
the RPM install sets up something subtle that I missed).

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: HELP!!!! DNS And Samba Questions.....?!?!!?
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 17:00:46 GMT

PLEASE E-MAIL THE ADDRESS BELOW WITH ANY HELP YOU COULD PROVIDE!!!!!

The Briefing:

I recently built a home network:  2 win95 pentiums, 1 RH Linux 486-100.  Each
w/ an ISA 10B-T NIC going to a 3Com Hub.  The network is working great, I play
Quake 2 on it regularly.  This linux box have these purposes: WWW (intranet)
Server, FTP, DNS, and Samba Directory Sharing.

Problem One:

DNS Appears to be working.  From install I've only edited the hosts file, and
the hosts.allow file and added entries for alias' of the Linux box, and
entries for the win95 machines.  Kind of looks like this:

127.0.0.1         (local loopback default stuff)
192.123.123.1     dns.mydomain.com dns
192.123.123.1     www.mydomain.com www
192.123.123.2     demerson.mydomain.com demerson
192.123.123.3     mwallace.mydomain.com mwallace

>From ANY machine I can ping any other using the IP and get an instant
response.  From Linux I can ping any machine using the "fully qualified
domain name" (demerson.mydomain.com) OR an alias (demerson) and get an
instant response.  BUT... Here's the problem...  Pinging FROM any other
(win95) machine using a FQDN or alias either takes an extremely long time to
return (one minute?) or waits and returns "Bad IP Address"  Why is this
behaving so strangely?

QUESTION NUMBER TWO:

This evening I will be adding a second hard disk to the Linux box.  First, I
can manage the install, partition, and format, but how do I have linux
automatically mount the disk upon boot up?

QUESTION NUMBER THREE:

Once installed, I want to share this new disk with everyone on the network
with no restrictions.  By default, I noticed that Linux automatically shared
the home directory of the person who is logged on.  (This is "Samba" right?)
Where do I specify that I want to share the new disk?

THANKS IN ADVANCE, ANY HELP IS APPRECIATED!
AGAIN, PLEASE E-MAIL RESPONSES TO ADDRESS BELOW....

David Emerson
Linux Neophyte
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Crossposted-To: news.software.nn
Subject: Re: nn/inews-nttp on RedHat 5.2 anyone?
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Michael T Pins)
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 18:19:34 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Georg Schwarz) writes:

>has anybody managed to get nn or inews-nntp to run on RedHat Linux 5.2?

nn-6.5.3 should compile with no problems on RedHat 5.2.

*     Michael T Pins                 |          [EMAIL PROTECTED]          *
*     keeper of the nn sources       |      [EMAIL PROTECTED]       *
*   ftp://ftp.visi.com/users/mtpins  |     #include <std.disclaimer>     *

------------------------------

From: Brian McCauley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 31 Mar 1999 18:51:05 +0100

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (June Seek Choi) writes:

> I installed ipfwadm using Redhat rpm. Then I execute the following from
> vito:
>
> /sbin/ipfwadm -F -p deny
> /sbin/ipfwadm -F -a m -S 192.168.1.0/24 -D 0.0.0.0/0
>
> It was executed with no error message but I still can't get out to the
> internet from luca.

Did you enable IP forwarding on vito?

Did you specify vito as the default gateway on luca?

--
     \\   ( )  No male bovine  | Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  .  _\\__[oo   faeces from    | Phones: +44 121 471 3789 (home)

------------------------------

From: "William Evans" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: how to setup linux ppp w/AOL? possible?
Date: 31 Mar 1999 13:10:16 -0500

    Blink> currently my isp is aol.  I need to know how to setup a connection using
this
    Blink> or if it is possible.  I am a newbie and i have RedHat 5.2.  If AOL doesnt'
    Blink> work is it possible to use NetZero? If so I would love if you could help me
set
    Blink> this up or give me some sort of support.  Any is greatly appreciated! thanks

I don't actually know if it is possible (I don't use AOL), but one way
to find out if it is feasible is to dial up using minicom (or some
other terminal program) and see if it gives you a login prompt.  This
is just a start, though.  If it gives you a prompt, then you may be
able to get in, assuming that they aren't using a proprietary PPP or
different protocol altogether.

Just a thought ... I really have no other idea.

HTH

-bill

--
William Evans                 < william . evans @ computer . org >

------------------------------

From: hbaumer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.security.ssh,linux.redhat.ppp,redhat.networking.general
Subject: linux pptp client
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 11:45:16 -0600

hello all, this is what i am trying to do:

i have redhat linux (5.2) with 2.2.3 kernel compiled with GRE

i have scott cananians pptp client (latest ver i believe is 1.0.2)

i can connect to my isp with no prob. (this machine also boots nt, and with
same isp i can connect to my place of employs vpn) want to use linux though.

i have gotten to the point where i run scotts pptp and log messages say
i am CHAP verified, i then try to add the routing info which never seems
to work, i then timeout with errors about sending config requests.

i am not really knowledgeable in networking, my workplace vpn ip address
seems to be dynamic, so i am using the dn. I also think i should be adding
the routing info to the ppp1 device and not the ppp0 which my isp
connection is using.  As near as i can tell I dont need anything else in the
kernel (masquerading ?)

Any Help appreciated, thanks, Hank

------------------------------

From: Tillman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Network Help Needed
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 08:45:59 -0600

ThinMan84 wrote:

> I have a network of four linux machines (3 slackware, 1 redhat), and a few
> portmasters all connected to the internet through a router.
>
> The redhat machine has trouble communicating with the third slackware machine,
> and vice versa.
>
> Sometimes pings get through (always with at least 20% packet loss) and
> sometimes I can't ping at all.  Both machines can successfully ping (and
> telnet, and ftp, and so on) the other two machines, the router, all the
> portmasters, and sites on the internet.  Basically the only problem seems to be
> when they try to talk to each other.

If pings are getting through at all, and you're using a basic ethernet setup, then
the problem is very likely hardware.  Any chance that IP's are duplicated? Are you
using a switch that perhaps has funky port?  Does your arp cache show the MAC
addresses that you're expecting to see?

Since the seem fine talking to the other machines, I'd be giving the evil eye to a
switch, if present.  Failing that, what happens if you stick the offending box
behind of the others and have it pass through it (route or masq) before trying to
contact the trouble machine? That test would isolate some types of network
problems.

- Tillman

------------------------------

From: Ernesto =?US-ASCII?Q?Hern=E1ndez-Novich?= <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: more than one modem in a machine
Date: 31 Mar 1999 13:44:34 GMT

In comp.os.linux.misc [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
: I know it is easy to setup two modems in a PC, but how about 3 or 4? I would
: like to setup Linux as a communications server, where it can serve as a modem
: pool similar to the SAPS systems for Windows. Also, what is a good start as
: for as reading up on setting up a modem pool under Linux? The system would
: have to allow for any user to automatically be able to use any free modem in
: the system.

: Along these lines, anyone have any experience with multimodem cards? It might
: be easier to setup a server with 4-8 modems for this if I can get a decently
: priced card.

I've done this in two different ways:

a) For less that 16 ports, just buy any supported multiport card. Stick it in,
   build your kernel, be happy.
b) For more than 16 ports, I rather have several terminal servers.
   They have several serial ports (I've used ones having up to 32) and handle
   incoming connections (direct or modem); these connections can be as dumb
   as a serial terminal, or have PPP with PAP/CHAP authentication. Each
   terminal server gets assigned an IP address and you put them in your
   network.

So far, I've had excellent results.

From: "Curt" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux,alt.os.linux.dial-up,alt.os.linux.redhat,comp.os.linux.misc,linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Re: Setting up a special proxy/router
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 13:28:21 -0500

There is a version of socks proxy server for linux.   We use it as part of
our
firewall.

www.socks.nec.com

<7dbihn$3p7$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (James Stevenson)
Crossposted-To: uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: ipfwadm: setsockopt err. Masquerading dead
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 1999 13:03:36 +0000

Hi

what kernel do you have??

the masqurading code changed and ipfwadm does not work any more
you need to use ipchains read the kernel docs in the ent directory it should show you
where
you can find it

cya

--
Check Out: http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/james/
E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "Mark F. Burgo ( Systems Administrator )" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: RedHat Lousy Support
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 13:27:36 -0500

Allen,

        your welcome if you have any problems contact me via e-mail and I will
assist you where I can.  I don't work for RedHat but have been using
Linux for over six years and have learned a good bit....

Mark

--
==================================

From: Bob Martin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: I need basic network help for LINUX and Windows-NT
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 1999 09:46:49 -0600

I would suggest that you start with the HOWTO guides, intranet and Net-3 for the
basics of setting up networks. also check the the linux networkadminstrators guide
which can be found here

http://www.ssc.com/linux/LDP/index.html

------------------------------

From: "James Kei" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Redhat 5.1 automatic start two ethernet card at boot time ?
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 22:47:38 +0800

My Redhat 5.1 kernel find two ethernet card. But the configuration script
only set eth0. So I have to manuel set the second by "ifconfig" command. How
can set the second eth1 to be automatic start when the machine reboot???
Please help??

I am looking for Redhat version of startup script. In Redhat 5.1, the
/etc/rc.d has following sub-directory.

init.d/      rc.local*    rc.sysinit*  rc1.d/       rc3.d/       rc5.d/
rc*          rc.news*     rc0.d/       rc2.d/       rc4.d/       rc6.d/

James
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Ian Hay <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: crashing when entering after login: window manager problem...
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 1999 13:22:51 GMT

You -should- be able to flip to a virtual console by pressing
CTRL-ALT-F2.  From there, login text-mode style, kill X, edit
/etc/inittab again, and you should be set.

I.

Alessandro Magni wrote:

> Due to a bad configuration (probably), any time I login (graphical login
>
> screen, redhat 5.2) Linux tries to switch to some odd resolution,
> monitor flickers, something bad happens... and I come back to login. No
> way to login in text mode due to my init files that make everybody login
>
> directly in X (I'll never do it again, swear!).
>
> Does somebody know how to login in text only mode, to resolve my
> problem? HELP ME!
>
> Many thanks,
>
>     Alessandro

Ian R. Hay                 <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Toronto, Canada      <http://www3.sympatico.ca/ian.hay/>
Linuxing about since June 21, 1998 <Redhat 5.1 - 2.0.35>