Linux-Networking Digest #704, Volume #10          Thu, 1 Apr 99 15:13:43 EST

Contents:
  Re: Win terminal for Linux? ("Mark Janssen")
  Re: Win terminal for Linux? (Bob Nixon)
  Help connecting Win98 > Linux ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Fast help - Boot-up. ("Klas Eliasson")
  mailserver global address book (MegaSurge)
  this newbie is confused over networking linux ("Charlie Macintyre")
  SLOW Telnet???? ("Tony s")
  FTP behind Firewall (jean-sebastien milliere)
  Re: Bridging in two stages ("Lee Sharp")
  two diffrent DNS?? ("Andreas Grabner")
  NT and SAMBA (format of networkname is incorrect) ("Patrick Scharrenberg")
  Re: SAMBA - Can't Logon to Server ("Mark F. Burgo ( Systems Administrator )")
  Re: Help me spend $2,000 on a new Linux-based computer (David Fox)
  inetd and Redhat 5.0 (Heath Harry)
  Re: RedHat Lousy Support ("Alex Nobert")
  NAMED help ("Matt Porco")
  Compaq Armada Ethernet (G. Stuart Mendenhall)
  Re: setting up ppp ("mad")
  Re: LINUX Webserver (Lew Pitcher)
  what dail up program for X-windows? (whywhys)
  Re: problem connecting to the internet using pppd & External ISDN modem (Clifford
Kite)
  Re: Compaq Armada Ethernet ("Lee Sharp")
  Re: Bridging in two stages ("Lee Sharp")
  Re: Help me spend $2,000 on a new Linux-based computer (David Fox)
  Re: smb_dont_catch_keepalive: server->data_ready == NULL (Joachim Holzapfel)

From: "Mark Janssen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: Win terminal for Linux?
Date: 1 Apr 1999 12:51:10 GMT

Just to get the names right. The program you're running on your windows
machine is not the X-Client it's the X-Server, because it serves the
x-calls you're linux box is performing.

Common mistake. And very confusing at first.

> Try using MI/X - a free __X client__ for Windows.  It seems

Greets Mark Janssen

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bob Nixon)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x
Date: Thu, 01 Apr 1999 17:17:15 GMT

On 30 Mar 1999 21:22:04 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Stan Bischof) wrote:

>Jeffrey Altman ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
>: In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,

>On any Windows machine simply execute   telnet <your linux box's name>

Hmmm... he didn't say DUMB terminal.

>: Kevin White  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>: : Hi, I love using my linux box, but sometimes have to work on the other
>: : boxes (Win95 or WinNT).  I would like to be able to do my linux "work"
>: : (emacs, compiling, working with files that are on my linux box, etc.)
>: : from the Win95 or NT box.  Is this possible?  Is this what a "terminal

Assuming you're on at least a base10 network, try VNC. You can port
you're wintel boxes to X or X on your wintel box's. You also can use
most WM's, including KDE for sure and maybe Gnome too. MIX is
available, simpler and a little faster but doesn't run as much X
software as VNC. It also will only do X on windows and not the other
way around.
VNC has it's own host software for both platforms but MIX only
requires <DISPLAY = 192.168.XXX.YYY:0 export DISPLAY> on the linux
box, then you telnet in from windows and run Xterm & mimimize X,
that's it.

Here's links for both. VNC has binaries for both win32 and linux.

http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/

http://www.microimages.com/freestuf/mix/download.htm

  Bob Nixon [EMAIL PROTECTED]
   [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://members.home.net/bigrex/

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Help connecting Win98 > Linux
Date: Thu, 01 Apr 1999 17:02:35 GMT

Help:  I want he output of program user run to display on there screen.  Such
as  Xwindows / netscape / applix  etc.  User will dial-in to my Linux box
using Win95/98

Point in the right direction.   Any help will be appricated.

Thanks in advance.

Junior.

From: "Klas Eliasson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Fast help - Boot-up.
Date: 1 Apr 99 17:48:10 GMT

My linux (redhat52) hang in the boot sequense,
It when its loading PCMCIA Services...

I dont have PCMCIA so i dont wanna load the service but i cant load linux
to access for example linuxconf to take it away.

Pleeez. is ther anyway to abort/cancel a starting of a service?

//Klas, sweden

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,microsoft.public.mcis.mailserver
From: MegaSurge <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: mailserver global address book
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 1999 10:10:05 -0800

My question right now is simple...can I create an address book on a linux
mail server (smail config) and be able to access it using the microsoft
outlook mail client?  If yes, then how?  Are they any docs that explain
something like this or perhaps it is very basic and I'm just not
understanding something correctly?  Please help with any information you
may have.  Thank You.

"If there is a *quintessential zone of human privacy* it is the mind."

------------------------------

From: "Charlie Macintyre" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: this newbie is confused over networking linux
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 1999 18:51:00 +0100

I got red hat from pcplus and thought that it would be ideal to try an set
it up as a server. At present I use wingate as a proxy server for  my win98
network (4pcs) . So having 1 machine which has little use I installed red
hat . However on getting into the startx program and control pannel I am
completely lost by the mass of windows and settings to set to bring this
machine into my LAN.
eg. in windows  there is Computer name, workgroup, computer description for
identification.
then in tcp/ip propertied I give 192.168.0.2 and a subnet mask, turn sharing
on and 'bobs your uncle' a network.
nothing I seem to try gets me anywhere with linux.

Is there anywhere a person can find this information in plain english?

Charlie

------------------------------

From: "Tony s" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: SLOW Telnet????
Date: Thu, 01 Apr 1999 18:46:28 GMT

My Linux box and w95 system are linked using ethernet cards, problem, I can
telnet but the speed is way to slow, not only that but it disconnects after
around 60 sec.

ping shows a speed of 1000+ms any ideas out there?

Tony

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (jean-sebastien milliere)
Subject: FTP behind Firewall
Date: 01 Apr 1999 20:37:43 GMT

The ncftp 3.x Beta I found seems the first to support proxys.
But it wants an FTP proxy on port 21. Epita.fr only supports the http
proxy on 3128 for FTP. Which interactive FTP program can do that?

Thanks for your help
        js

------------------------------

From: "Lee Sharp" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Bridging in two stages
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 1999 12:30:15 -0600

Wayland Reid wrote in message <7du73b$opk$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...

|Well, shut my mouth, so it is.  Never assume anything about Microsoft.  You
|think they install something because its necessary, and then look where it
|gets you.  Thank you for blasting my assumptions out the window.

   When given the choice between two evils, Micorsoft will choose a third
that has the worst features of both! :-)

|Incidentally, the wireless connection connects my office to my home
|(office?) so I would like to have all the niceties I get with a dial-up
|account from there.  Plus the ability to move anywhere across the network.

   What type of wireless stuff is it?  Some works as a switch, some as a
NIC, and some on serial...  If you have it on serial, you can set up for
dial up PPP, and run Masquerade at home.  If it is a NIC, you will have to
route at home, and run Masquerade at work...  You could set up a tunnel at
work, however.

            Lee

--
SCSI is *NOT* magic. There are *fundamental technical reasons* why it is
necessary to sacrifice a young goat to your SCSI chain now and then. *

------------------------------

From: "Andreas Grabner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: two diffrent DNS??
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 1999 16:43:56 +0200

Hi
my problem:
i want to fetch mails from provider and mail it to a Win-server in a
network.
the network has a name server for the lokal network. now I want to use this
one and when i open a ppp-connection i´d like to use an DNS from the
internet to find providers mail server.
How can i do this

TIA
Andi

================================
Andreas Grabner
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "Patrick Scharrenberg" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: NT and SAMBA (format of networkname is incorrect)
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 1999 22:01:09 +0200

Hello..

I have just set up my samba server again to use it with NT
normaly it worked but now.. not

the samba server is shown in the NT-neighbourhood but if I click on it I get
an errormessage like:

" Can't access samba.
the format of the networkname is incorrect"

If I put the samba-server in the same workgroup as the NT-machine and my
samba is the masterbrowser, I get this errormessage when I try to acces the
workgroup

It also dosn't work if I use wins.
my authentication uses plaintext-pw

the nt-machine has sp4
samba version is 2.0.3

smb.conf:
        workgroup = DUKE
        netbios name = ROUTER
        server string = SAMBA
        interfaces = 192.168.0.1/255.255.255.0
        encrypt passwords = Yes
        log level = 3
        syslog = 3
        log file = /var/log/smb.log
        name resolve order = lmhosts wins bcast
        os level = 150
        preferred master = Yes
        domain master = Yes
        dns proxy = No
        wins support = Yes
        lock dir = /var/adm
        mangle case = Yes

[homes]
        comment = home directories
        read only = No
        create mask = 0700
        browseable = No

Linux Kernel is 2.2.3

I don't understand it

please help me...
c.u.
..patrick

------------------------------

From: "Mark F. Burgo ( Systems Administrator )" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: SAMBA - Can't Logon to Server
Date: Thu, 01 Apr 1999 10:03:16 -0500

Gerhard wrote:

> Benjamin,
>
> Yes, I think that makes sense, I have arrived at this conclusion myself.
> There does seem to be another option though, and that is to use server mode
> and have the NT DC take care of it.  Are there any downsides to that that
> you can think of?
>
> Gerhard
>
> Benjamin Grimm wrote in message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
> >hallo,
> >
> >schau mal bei www.suse.de in der supportdatenbank nach (suchbegriff :
> samba).
> >das problem liegt daran, dass in den sp3 / sp4 versionen von win nt die
> >pw-verschlüsselung (offiziell) nicht mehr abschaltbar ist. bei suse steht,
> wie
> >
> >du entweder nt umpolst oder samba auf verschlüsselte pw's umstellst.
> >
> >ciao
> >
> >bg
> >
> >Gerhard Paulman wrote:
> >
> >> Somebody help me please.  I have changed the workgroup name to the local
> >> domain and set up some shares in smb.conf, and I see the machine just
> fine
> >> in Explorer, but I can't log on.  Security is user.  When I click on the
> >> machine, which should then display the shares, it asks me to supply a
> >> username and password.  No matter what I enter for user + passw, I get
> the
> >> error:
> >>
> >> \\machine is not accessible
> >> The account is not authorized to log in from this station
> >>
> >> I'm sure it's a simple thing I overlooked, but can someone please point
> me
> >> in the right direction on this?  Thanks,
> >>
> >> Gerhard

Sounds like your running Win95 OSR2, or Win98, or WinNT and have setup
Samba but not smbpasswd.  You need to utilize encrypted passwords with
Samba and these Releases or turn off encrypted passwords in WinXX.  Look
at the docs for Win and you will find and explination.  The Docs in the
Samba Docs directory.  There are no docs with Windows software from M$
just a worthless paper weight made of paper....

Mark
--
==================================
Burgo Systems / Consulting

On RedHat Linux 5.2
Burgo Systems / Consulting is happy to preload Linux on your new
BS/C System,  Factory Direct
==================================

------------------------------

From: d s f o x @ c o g s c i . u c s d . e d u (David Fox)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Help me spend $2,000 on a new Linux-based computer
Date: 01 Apr 1999 07:00:42 -0800

"David Lloyd-Jones" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> <d s f o x @ c o g s c i . u c s d . e d u (David Fox)> wrote >
> > That's not correct. There are just a few million receptors in your
> > eyes,
>
> As against say 768X1024 (is it?) = 3/4ths of a meg pixels on the screen.
>
> >                but the resolution is highly concentrated in the center of
> your
> > field of vision.  Eye motion creates the experience of a large area of
> > high resolution.
>
> Even if you didn't do-the-pigeon, your concentrated area sitting still would
> be bored by a normal screen.

While there are 150,000,000 receptors in the Human eye, there are only
1,000,000 optic nerve fibers, so the number of `pixels' is about that
of a high resolution computer monitor (mine is 1600x1024.)  However,
the eyes are capable of moving at a speed of about 500 degrees per
second.  Since the concentrated area is about the size of a single
character on the screen, without eye motion you would be indeed be
bored no matter what or who was in front of your face.  (Unless there
was some good music playing.)
--
David Fox           http://hci.ucsd.edu/dsf             xoF divaD
UCSD HCI Lab                                         baL ICH DSCU

------------------------------

From: Heath Harry <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: inetd and Redhat 5.0
Date: Thu, 01 Apr 1999 15:07:42 +0000

anyone know how to get inetd to use a specific source ip address, cruddy
thing uses what it ever it wants to.

i have 4 ip interfaces up on this box ( more on the way ), and it
listens on all of them, i want it to listen on one ip address, not 4.

Heath.

------------------------------

From: "Alex Nobert" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: RedHat Lousy Support
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 1999 10:04:02 -0500

In RedHat's defense, they have a hell of a lot more than 350 clients, and if
they all started having problems they would quickly exhaust themselves
replying to these questions, and the fact is they know as well as you that
you can get equal, if not better, support for free in newsgroups and forums
such as this.  Asking a small amount for support (to pay for support
technicians) is not such an outlandish task, especially since they, unlike
you, provide free products.  I'd imagine you don't have thousands of people
that got your systems for free asking you for support.

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...

------------------------------

From: "Matt Porco" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: NAMED help
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 1999 13:57:51 -0500

I am trying to setup NAMED to function as the primary DNS server for my
domain (m2cnet.com).  I have NAMED up and running on my Debian Linux 2.0.36
box, which has two Ethernet interfaces and is acting as an ip masquerading
firewall between the Internet and a local network.  When NAMED runs, it says
it is listening on both eth0 (external interface) and eth1 (internal
interface).  However, I can only access the DNS server from the internal
network (eth1).  Whenever I use NSLOOKUP from a box on the Internet and try
to point to my DNS server, I get timeouts.  I do have the default ipfwadm
policy for incoming packets to accept (ipfwadm -I -p accept).

Does anybody know why I can't access the DNS server over eth0?

Thanks.

Matt Porco
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (G. Stuart Mendenhall)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Compaq Armada Ethernet
Date: 1 Apr 1999 18:50:41 GMT

Dear Sirs / Madams,
        Has anybody gotten the Ethernet in a Compaq Armada 4100 series
docking base with built in Ethernet to work correctly?  I can't find out
the chipset or anything.  The windows 95 driver was written by compaq; I
can only find out the io , which is 0x378, the same as the parralel port
(which causes problems in Win95 once in a while)...  I have tried all of
the drivers included in Debian 2.1 (slink) which I have installed (only
the base system, as I can't connect... ) using modconf.

So, anybody got it working?  Any advice?

Thanks a lot!
        G. Stuart Mendenhall

------------------------------

From: "mad" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: setting up ppp
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 08:20:21 -0500

Martin Stenzel wrote in message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>What is it that makes Linux superior?
>Information in depth for free!

I don't know about that, I think there are more bugs in the documentation
then the system

mike

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Lew Pitcher)
Subject: Re: LINUX Webserver
Date: Thu, 01 Apr 1999 18:55:57 GMT

On Thu, 01 Apr 1999 18:48:26 GMT, "Ryan Riordan"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I have been given the onerous task of setting up a Linux webserver in 2
>months.  I have the necessary resources to throw at the job and do it right.
>I will be using Red Hat 5.2, and a dual PII SCSI system on a T1 line.  What
>issues should I be most concerned about and where can I get good technical
>how to on running and seting up our webserver.   We will be doing lots of
>data access and security is an issue.  Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Your RH distro installation should take care of the mundane things
like actually installing the webserver, etc.

If I were you, I'd look into...
a) configuring the webserver for CGI and access to personal webpages
b) installing and maintaining a firewall around your system

Check the Linux Documentation Project for the latest in FAQs and
HOWTOs on both/either. Also, check with the authors of the webserver
(probably Apache) for their take on configuration.

Start to finish, I'd be suprised if it took more than a week to set up
your environment; two months gives you plenty of time to play and
learn.

Lew Pitcher
System Consultant, Development Services
Toronto Dominion Bank

From: whywhys <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: hk.comp.os.linux
Subject: what dail up program for X-windows?
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 21:24:42 +0800

All,
    Anyone can support any best PPP dail up program for X-windows?

Thankx
YYs

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Clifford Kite)
Subject: Re: problem connecting to the internet using pppd & External ISDN modem
Date: 31 Mar 1999 06:58:03 -0600

TheJanitor ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:

: I am a lame windows user, and I need help with connecting to the
: internet :)

: /etc/ppp/options
: ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
: lock
: +pap

The option +pap is obsolete but it is still likely to be cause of PPP
link negotiation failure.  Very few ISPs will authenticate themselves to
their clients and it's doubtful that you are set up to correctly anyway.

Clifford Kite <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>                       Not a guru. (tm)
/* The signal-to-noise ratio is too low in many [news] groups to make
 * them good candidates for archiving.
 *    --- Mike Moraes, Answers to FAQs about Usenet */

------------------------------

From: "Lee Sharp" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Compaq Armada Ethernet
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 1999 13:32:17 -0600

G. Stuart Mendenhall wrote in message <7e0f61$7li$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...

| Has anybody gotten the Ethernet in a Compaq Armada 4100 series
|docking base with built in Ethernet to work correctly?  I can't find out
|the chipset or anything.  The windows 95 driver was written by compaq; I
|can only find out the io , which is 0x378, the same as the parralel port
|(which causes problems in Win95 once in a while)...  I have tried all of
|the drivers included in Debian 2.1 (slink) which I have installed (only
|the base system, as I can't connect... ) using modconf.

   It is the much discussed Tlan chip.  It has to be "insmod tlan duplex=2"
after install, and then "netconf"ed...

            Lee

From: "Lee Sharp" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 1999 13:30:53 -0600

Wayland Reid wrote in message <7e0egs$sb0$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...

|I have a Proxim Rangelan2 card in each linux machine.  Right now I am
|masq'ing at work and routing from home.  Everything works well, but I
|haven't had time lately to test everything.  I'm using the RangeLan2
|drivers from Dave Korberstein.  So, in essence,  the whole situation can be
|treated as if the wireless link is just another vanilla 10BaseT wired
|network.  I don't understand why the bridge didn't work, since you can have
|several bridges in a network.  Mind you this is just my networking book
|knowledge talking.  I've never had practical experience with this sort of
|thing before.

   You should be able too, but troubleshooting a blind switch to switch
connection is a bit tough.  Do you have another RageLan card?  If so, put it
in the "middle" of your switches, and see if you have ether one working at
all.  If you set up your office system as a switch, you should be able to
put an office IP on your RageLan at home, and see if the office side works.
Then bring up your home ether as a switch and see if it works.  Of course,
make sure IP forwarding is allowed. :-)

            Lee

From: d s f o x @ c o g s c i . u c s d . e d u (David Fox)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.setup
Date: 31 Mar 1999 06:04:30 -0800

"David Lloyd-Jones" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Richard Stovall <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote
> > I've gotten used to an 20" SGI (Sony) monitor at work and find that I have
> a real hard time coming
> > back to my weeny little 17" number at home.  Virtual desktops are cool and
> all that, but there's
> > nothing like having it all there on one screen to make you a believer in
> the big ones.
> >

> If you match the number of pixels on the screen against the number of rods
> and cones in your eyes, you see a sorta severe deficit. Your normal
> functioning field of vision is equal to something like four square metres of
> high density screen, I've read.
>
> Think multiple 20-inchers -- and multiple operating systems to keep 'em fed.

That's not correct. There are just a few million receptors in your
eyes, but the resolution is highly concentrated in the center of your
field of vision.  Eye motion creates the experience of a large area of
high resolution.

But you're right about lots of big monitors being cool.

From: Joachim Holzapfel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.samba
Subject: Re: smb_dont_catch_keepalive: server->data_ready == NULL
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 15:15:03 +0200

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>   "Duarte Cordeiro" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >

> > MOUNT FAILURES:
> >   The mount(2) system call does not return any sensible error code, so you
> > have to guess what failed when you could not mount a share.[...]
> >
> > Useful no ?
> > But, mount almost always report the error to /var/log/messages, so please
> > post the error here :)
> >
>  Hello !!!
>
> In /var/log/messages is the same error as smbmount reported:
>
> smb_dont_catch_keepalive: server->data_ready == NULL
>
> Please tell me what's wrong. BTW: If I try to go to NT Server with smbclient
> I get Access Denied message. Maybe this is the problem. But strange is that I
> can mount these drives fine under Windows without a password. Please tell me
> what could be wrong!

I get the same error messages when connecting to a nt/win95 share via smbmount.
smbclient works fine.
At home (in a clean linux environment) smbmount works fine as well. The problems
only occur at work (in a mixed Novell/NT environment).  Can someone help me?

Thanks in advance,

Joachim