Linux-Networking Digest #713, Volume #10          Fri, 2 Apr 99 03:14:13 EST

Contents:
  Can't get netatalk-1.4b2 compiled on RH5.2 and gcc 2.7.2.3 ("Benny K.Y. Li")
  Re: SAMBA/PASSWORDS (Mogul 55)
  Re: configuring web/networking on dialup machine (colin roald)
  Re: IPSEC with kernel 2.2.x??? (Michael Schmidt)
  Re: What is the best Linux to install? (Mike Graham)
  Re: SAMBA/PASSWORDS ("Chris Cocozzo")
  Re: Why does my Epson Stylus Color II keep spitting out garbage?!!$%@*& (Bob Nixon)
  Check network status (Adrian)
  printing through samba ("Gary S. Mackay")
  Netscape Error Message ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: modem probs (Qozmoe)
  linux and firewall ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Newbie has questions ("Kevin")
  Help with 3Com Etherlink XL TPO 10Mb Ethernet NIC 3c900B-TPO card (KaledBait)
  Re: how to find ethernet address of an interface (Heath Harry)
  Re: Help ??? (Donald Kwakkel)
  Same irq on multiple ethernet card ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: PPP connections problem with RedHat 5.2 / debugging problems ("Jean-Claude")
  Re: PPP Auto-Dialer (Frank Hahn)
  Re: Why does my Epson Stylus Color II keep spitting out garbage?!!$%@*& (Frank Hahn)
  Can't logon to NETBIOS DOMAIN across Linux with IP Masquerade (Jean Le Brun)

From: "Benny K.Y. Li" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Can't get netatalk-1.4b2 compiled on RH5.2 and gcc 2.7.2.3
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 21:58:37 -0800

hi,

        I was trying to build netatalk 1.4b2 on Red Hat 5.2(kernel 2.0.36) with
gcc 2.7.2.3 but failed.
        When compiling the main.c of afpd component, it complains that one of
symbol(essentially TIOCNOTTY, which is defined in asm/ioctls.h) is
undefined. I tried to look at the included headers and it should be
perfectly defined. I could compiled it without any modification on
Slackware too.
        Did anybody have similar experience? How did you solve that?

thanks
Benny

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mogul 55)
Subject: Re: SAMBA/PASSWORDS
Date: 1 Apr 1999 05:39:42 GMT

if the pasword security is not needed then just remove the lines regaurding
passwords from your smb.conf file

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (colin roald)
Subject: Re: configuring web/networking on dialup machine
Date: 31 Mar 1999 21:33:58 -0800

In article <7du84a$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
colin roald <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
|However, I don't think I've got networking configured right, because when
|I try to connect to my own machine, it hangs at 'Connect: contacting host'
|stage.

My networking was fine.  The problem seems to be that web servers want
to know their name really really badly, and are unhappy with anything
less than a fully-qualified domain name, which I don't have.  Telling
it it's name is 127.0.0.1 seems to have solved my problem.

Sorry to bother you all.

--
colin | opportunity calls from a payphone, bruno. you never get a chance to
roald | call it back.  (christopher baldwin)

------------------------------

From: Michael Schmidt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: IPSEC with kernel 2.2.x???
Date: Thu, 01 Apr 1999 08:10:14 +0200

David,

I'm not aware of any free IPSEC implementation for the Linux kernel 2.2.x.
However, FreeSWAN (http://www.flora.org/freeswan) is supposed to migrate to
2.2.x within the next months.

--
Michael Schmidt           |
Utimaco Safe Concept GmbH | Tel:    ++43 732 655 755 - 35

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mike Graham)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: What is the best Linux to install?
Date: Fri, 02 Apr 1999 03:03:17 GMT

On Thu, 01 Apr 1999 14:27:59 +0900, Yim,SeongSoo wrote:
>I realy recommend to start with RedHat.

  I agree with that.  It seems the most 'mainstream'.  I was just on their
website and it appears that several big players (IBM, COMPAQ, etc.) have
pumped in some capital to get in on the action.  That's a very telling sign.

--
Mike Graham, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Caledon, Ontario, Canada (just NW of Toronto).

Raiser of animals.  Weldor of metals.  Driver of off-road vehicles.
Writer of FAQs.  Keeper of the faith, and all around okay guy.

<http://www.beeline.ca/personal/mike>

------------------------------

From: "Chris Cocozzo" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 1 Apr 1999 05:49:59 GMT

Read the files in /usr/doc/samba"your version here"

I was having similar problems until I read them.  Now all is well!

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bob Nixon)
Subject: Re: Why does my Epson Stylus Color II keep spitting out garbage?!!$%@*&
Date: Thu, 01 Apr 1999 07:04:48 GMT

On Thu, 01 Apr 1999 00:06:09 GMT, "GTK+" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Help me please!!!!   Whenever I turn on my printer, and lpd is running on
>my Linux machine that it is hooked up to, it just spits out garbage
>forever.  How do I clear the memory on the printer so that it doesn't spit
>out all this crap anymore?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
>
>Also, I was wondering if anyone knew how to correctly use Windows NT
>Workstation 4.0 (SP4) as the client for my Samba 2.0.3 shared printer.  I
>have Zenographics SuperPrint 5.0 installed on the NT Workstation, and it's
>supposed to allow network printing.

You're making things hard on yourself. Do it the other way around.
Plug the printer into NT, then use samba to print to the printer from
your linux box. Linux is great but sort of primitive (still). I don't
know about your Zenographicss thing (software ?) but it may just get
in the way. I'm using Epson inkjet printers (Photo & 640) on my NT an
98 boxes and used the Samba option in printtool under the linux box. I
gave it //BOB1/EPSONsty1 & 2 and it worked without a hitch. The linux
box is limited to it's own funky ESP2(BW) & Stylus color 360dpi
drivers but it's fine for an occasional web page, text file, pdf or
other linux printing. On the wintel side the drivers for each printer
is installed on both NT & 98 machines. OBTW, make sure the printers
are shared on the wintel boxes and your /etc/samba.d/smb.conf is set
up properly.

PS. Don't be so selfish and crosspost to SOOOO many groups. By
attempting to cover the bases, you've effectively become a spammer. I
reduced my reply to one group. (comp.os.linux.networking)

  Bob Nixon [EMAIL PROTECTED]
   [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://members.home.net/bigrex/

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 01 Apr 1999 15:19:45 +0800
From: Adrian <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Check network status

Hi, i am trying to set up a webserver using RH5.2 and i am new to Linux.
I made changes to the access.conf and srm.conf files and i tried to stop
and reload  the httpd to update the changes by keying in the commands at
etc/rc.d/init.d/ :
"httpd stop"
"httpd reload"
However it did not work and i had to reboot the computer everytime in
order to update the changes
Did i miss out anything ?

How do i check the computer to see that the httpd has stop or is running
?
what is the command that i need to key in in order to see the network
status ?
And where do i look for the pid files and view them ?

Pls advice
Thanks

(ps: my email is [EMAIL PROTECTED])

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 19:44:34 -0500
From: "Gary S. Mackay" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: printing through samba

I now have printing working from the slackware box using the apsfilter.
I can not get it to print from any of the WinXX boxes tho. I have the
new Samba-2.0.3 installed and working fine. It runs the login scripts,
maps drives, etc. I can see and attach to the printer in net'hood, but
when I go to print, it errors saying access denied.

--
Edison Information Technologies
P.O. Box 554

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Netscape Error Message
Date: Thu, 01 Apr 1999 06:41:44 GMT

I'm having Netscape problems. It seems to lock-up...also I'm receiving this
error message when I first start Netscape:

Visual 0x23 is a 4 bit Psuedo color visual. This is not a supported visual;
images will be displayed in Monochrome. Currently supported visuals are:
Static Gray, Grayscale. true color along with the bits.

The display does change from blue to mono gray. And when I try to close NS,
that's when it seems to be locked. Also using KDE for dialing, I set the modem
baud to 38 something with a 33.6 modem, but once connected, the log show I'm
connected at 9600 baud.

Any help will be appreciated.

I'm using Caledra's Openlinux 1.2, I have S3 Virge 4mb video card, external
modem and KDE desktop. Thanks. Steve

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Qozmoe)
Subject: Re: modem probs
Date: 1 Apr 1999 07:34:00 GMT

>If your modem doesn't have a jumpers (or you have NOT jumpered the modem for
>comm1-4), then the modem is the problem.  All modems that are labeled
>"win-modem"
>(and most PnP modems) can NOT be used with Linux no matter what motherbd or
>Linux
>version you might try.  Keith
>
>Qozmoe wrote:
>
>> ok, i'm sure that this is a really basic problem, but nevertheless i can't
>> figure out an answer to it.  i just installed redhat5.0 on an i586 with a
>Supra
>> 336i Sp ASVD modem, and for some reason i can't dial out.  i really don't
>know
>> where to start fixing this problem.  i've installed this same CD
>distribution
>> on another i586 before and had no problems with the modem configuration.
>> anybody got any advice or any leads??
>> thanx,
>> qozmo

this is definitely not a winmodem, and it is not pnp either.  i'm fairly sure
that i have the link pointing to the right com port since the modem is not pnp
and i have it pointing to the same com port as win95 uses.
i'm not necessarily looking for someone to tell me what the problem is with my
modem, though that would be nice.  i just need to find out some resources.
i've looked through all of the HOWTOs that seem related and there is nothing
there for me.  help please.
qozmo

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: linux and firewall
Date: 2 Apr 1999 01:44:56 GMT

do you have to have masquerading on if you want udp packets to out of your
network (behind linux firewall)??...

--
It's nice having Multiple Personalities!        [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.infinex.com/~gman                    Keeper of       Bay Area

------------------------------

From: "Kevin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Newbie has questions
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 1999 09:22:34 -0600

I installed red hat 5.1 with a dual boot with nt server, I have q windows
working with a regular mouse but it wouldn't fly with my logitech first
mouse. I have a few questions.
1., How do I get linux to mount my nt drive.
2.,In X windows /control panel I can see my modem and it is connected on the
right com port, but what do I need to do to configure a dial out connection.
Can it be done in x windows? The book I have just talks about networking all
in command line.
3., How do I go about getting a win 95 box connected. The win 95 is already
connected to the nt partition and has dial out as well.
4., Xwindows only flys when I'm root, with othe users it just hangs at the
checkered screen.
5., In command line DIPS says go away when I enter dips -i. I'm in root at
the time.
Thanks for any help I get. I would appreciate if I could be emailed copy's
of the replies to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Thanks
Kevin

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (KaledBait)
Subject: Help with 3Com Etherlink XL TPO 10Mb Ethernet NIC 3c900B-TPO card
Date: Fri, 02 Apr 1999 04:00:05 GMT

Hi all,

        The Ethernet HOWTO got me to the point of saying hey the
kernel is not finding the card when you boot into Linux. It then said
to check the FAQ, well I couldn't find anything there to help
me.....Can anyone help me to detect this card ?

        Thanks,

                Andy - [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Heath Harry <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: how to find ethernet address of an interface
Date: Fri, 02 Apr 1999 04:02:29 +0000

Harvinder Sawhney wrote:

> hi
>
> how to find the ethernet address of an interface
> without looking in the arp cache
> ie i need to know the ioctl that returns the ethernet address of
> the interface
>
> regards
> harvinder sawhney
> emai:[EMAIL PROTECTED],

if this is a linux box, try '/sbin/ifconfig', will display the MAC
address of the NIC in question.

Regards,

Heath.

------------------------------

From: Donald Kwakkel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Help ???
Date: Thu, 01 Apr 1999 09:56:29 +0200

Adrian wrote:

> I have tried setting up a webserver using RH5.2. Everything seems to be
> running fine except that i dont know how to setup the servername so that
> pple can connect to my linux box (eg. 'www.adrian.com') I tried by
> keying in the ip address using netscape and it works, but it fails when
> i tried to key in 'www.adrian.com'
>
> I am new to Linux and do not know much of the commands.
> Can anyone teach me how to setup the server name ?
> Do i have to make any changes to the httpd.conf file ?
>
> Pls advice
> Thanks
>
> (ps:my email is [EMAIL PROTECTED])

You have to add www.adrian.com to the name resolving part of the apple.
I do not know how to do that.

On a linux box you need edit /etc/hosts

Somewhere there must be a line containing your computer name & ip
adress,
add there www, e.g:

192.168.1.1     mycomputer.home.nl  mycomputer www

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Same irq on multiple ethernet card
Date: Fri, 02 Apr 1999 06:59:15 GMT

Hi there,

I am using 2 network cards on my linux server, one connected to the internet
and the other connected to the local LAN. One of the nic is Inter eepro 100
and the other one is a NE2000-pci clone from realtek. Interestingly both the
cards share the same irq i.e. irq9.

-Will not this be a bottleneck during heavy network activity?
-Can I or rather should I allot another irq to one of the cards and if so how?

Thanks in advance for the help.

M. K Modi
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

From: "Jean-Claude" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: PPP connections problem with RedHat 5.2 / debugging problems
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 1999 05:55:56 +0200

Thanks Jon,

>For one thing, that chat script is not very likely to work. You aren't
>entering in a username or password or anything.
>
>Look in /var/log/ppp.log. Since you have the -v switch on chat, there
>should be a lot of info there.
>
>If you get stuck still, post excerpts of the log file to the
>newsgroup, and we'll see what we can do.

I've been able to debug my script and get connected thanks to this page
http://axion.physics.ubc.ca/ppp-linux.html
It helped me understand clearly what happened (also with a little help from
one of the authors - I understand he is willing to even complete the page
with more details on what messages are being sent and received from chat and
ppp)

I'm surfin' now :-))

Jean-Claude

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Frank Hahn)
Subject: Re: PPP Auto-Dialer
Date: Fri, 02 Apr 1999 04:09:33 GMT

On Thu, 01 Apr 1999 11:35:12 +0200, Stephane POMATTO <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 wrote:
>I've got a local network with Win98 clients. I'm using RH 5. 2 to add a
>gateway between my modem and my local network. I managed to configure
>this succesfully. My PPP connection works perfectly, and fter
>reconfiguring IP settings on clients, I was able to surf on win98
>through RH 5.2 as firewall.
>
>But for the moment, I need to initiate my PPP connection manually on RH.
>The fact is I would like RH to dial automatically PPP when I open
>Netscape on Win98. I've heard about Dialp but it seems it only
>disconnect after a programmed timeout. What I need is a deamon able to
>connect and discoonect on the demand when I open and close Netscape on
>Win98 clients.
>
>Is DIP able to do this, or do I need to install Dialp ? Is there another
>deamon able to do this ?

I have not heard of dialp.  Do you mean diald?  Diald is what
I use to start and stop my connection.  If you bring up Netscape
on my Windows machine it will cause diald on the Linux machine
to call my ISP.  After so many minutes of inactivity, it shuts
down the connection.

Your other choice is to install a later version of ppp.  I think
versions after 2.3.1 or so will dial on demand for you.

>PS : Oh, something else... Is there any way to mount a SMB volume
>instead of using smbclient command ?

Don't know.

--
Frank Hahn

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Frank Hahn)
Date: Fri, 02 Apr 1999 04:09:38 GMT

On Thu, 01 Apr 1999 00:06:09 GMT, "GTK+" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Help me please!!!!   Whenever I turn on my printer, and lpd is running on
>my Linux machine that it is hooked up to, it just spits out garbage
>forever.  How do I clear the memory on the printer so that it doesn't spit
>out all this crap anymore?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

If the printer demon is still trying to print out a previous print
job, I think you can use the lprm command to remove the print job
from the queue.

[Snipped]

--
Frank Hahn

------------------------------

From: Jean Le Brun <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Can't logon to NETBIOS DOMAIN across Linux with IP Masquerade
Date: Thu, 01 Apr 1999 23:12:38 -0500

Hello there,

I have a question regarding ip masquerade.
I've read everything I could find on HOWTO setup IP masquerade on Linux.

And it works... ping, telnet, ftp, etc... all work fine.

There is only one functionality that I need and I couldn't make it work:

To connect to my company, I need to establish a ppp connection with
dynamic address
alocation (DHCP). This gives me only one address where the need for IP
masquerade
which provides me connectivity to my company from any system in my
house. I run
Windows95 with IBM Network CLient(Netbios over TCP/IP, RFC1001 and
RFC1002). But I
can't logon to the Network DOMAIN on the company intranet from my home
workstations
via my Linux firewall (with masquerade).

I can locate the Server with the "Server Locate" function on Win95. I
can ping the server,
I can see it with "nbtstat -a [server_name]", "netstat -a" shows the
following entries:
"UDP [workstation_name]:nbname *:*" and "UDP
[workstation_name]:nbdatagram  *:*" as expected.

For test purposes, I temporarly used a slip connection with a range of
addresses
(for my home workstations) setting a WAN via modem. Without masquerade,
straight
routing across the slip, NETBIOS over TCP/IP worked fine and I could
logon to the
DOMAIN.

Why doesn'it it work via IP Masquerade? Do I need a special IP
Forwarding Policy?

   +---------------+
   | Netbios       |
   | Domain Server |
   +---------------+
          |                                         +-----------+
          |                                         |Win95      |
          |                                     +---|IBM Network|
     |PPP/DHCP |     .       |Linux        |    |

Thanks in advance,
Jean Le Brun,
[EMAIL PROTECTED]