  Re: winmodems (Richard Pitt)

From: "D. C. & M. V. Sessions" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: kingston.os.linux,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: hackers
Date: Sun, 04 Apr 1999 18:19:27 +0000

"David M. Cook" wrote:

> On Sun, 04 Apr 1999 05:14:32 +0000, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >sudden there's another process running "make whatis".  I
>
> It's just a cronjob that runs weekly.  Redhat should document these in their
> manual if they don't already.  I remember working with slackware at 7:45 in
> the morning when the hard drive starting cranking away.  I thought I'd been
> hacked.  That's when slack scheduled the locate database update.

FWIW these kinds of now-and-then background jobs *should*
set themselves to priorities somewhere behind pathetic.
Given the habits of Linux users you certainly can't count
on time-of-day or -week to avoid collisions!

[Anyone else read Rick Cook's _The_Wizardry_Compiled_?
If you haven't, get the reprint from Baen -- two books
together called _The_Wiz_Biz_  Lethally funny with too
many in-jokes on hacker culture to save you from busting
a gut.  Trust us on this.]

--
He either fears his fate too much, or his deserts are small,
That puts it not unto the touch to win or lose it all.

D. C. & M. V. Sessions                [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Rien Broekstra <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: newbie nic problem
Date: Sun, 04 Apr 1999 01:48:29 +0200

George D. Brown wrote:

> when i go into linuxconfig and set up my info for eth0 i get erros when
> i exit.  I think that the problem is the module for my nic...
>
> i am running rehat 5.2 and have a 3com fast etherlink XL 10/100 card.
> Please help.
> --Rugger

I have the same card and same distribution, but if you want me to help
you I need to know what error msgs you get...

--
Rien Broekstra                          L     III N     N U    U X    X
Tel: +31(0)735517594                    L      I  N N   N U    U   XX

------------------------------

From: "Testing" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Best Free X Windows Server for Win95/98 Box on Samba/Linux Network?
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup
Date: Sun, 04 Apr 1999 18:29:02 GMT

Try eXceed, it's by far the fastest and most feature-filled of them all.
Costs money though, so be prepared to take out your pocketbook.
http://www.hcl.com

Cyrus  Mehta <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in article
<7e1o6d$nd7$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...

> Hi,
>
> I am creating a dual Windows/Linux environment using Samba for file
serving
> on a standard Ethernet network.  I was wondering what kind of X server
software
> for the Windows side I could use to run some X windows apps off of the
LInux Box.

------------------------------

From: Martin Ng <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Help: tunneling http through home firewall to internal server
Date: Mon, 05 Apr 1999 01:39:24 +0800

Hi,
    I can use ipportfw to forward the http request from my firewall to a
internal web server.  However, the internal network can't browse the web
server.
Please help.

Martin

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Christoph H.)
Subject: Re: multiple masquerading
Date: Sun, 04 Apr 1999 18:26:19 GMT

Hi Guys

Sorry, but I am _sure_ that your ideas won't work, because the routing
is the problem (and I don't want to use 3 PCs for a job which could be
done by one).

So I tried source orientated routing with IPROUTE2 and IPCHAINS on top
of the routing for masquerading.

I think there is an incompatibility between IPROUTE2 and IPCHAINS.

Thanks anyway.

Regards,
Christoph.

Vienna/Austria.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

P.S.: I want to do such a configuration, because the 3 internal LANs
belong to 3 different companies, and if someone connects to the
internet, everyone should see from which company the connection was
made (would avoid many troubles).

------------------------------

From: Nobody Here <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Machine name themes - what do you use?
Date: Sun, 04 Apr 1999 11:33:18 -0700

Wesley W. Garland wrote:

> >> What about characters from 'The Lord of the Rings' ..?
> >>
> >> gandalf ... frodo ... sauron ... legolas ...
> >>
> >> Guess who's gonna be changing his /etc/hosts this afternoon ...  :-)
> >>
> >> --
> >> Desmond Coughlan                |Restez zen ... Linux peut le faire
> >> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> >> [www site under construction]
> >
> >Certainly better than from "Lord of the Flies"... <grin>

WAY better than from :
"Lord of the Dance".... Flatley...Gillian....Areleen...Patrick....Shawn..<
big grin>

Doug

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 04 Apr 1999 20:32:45 +0200
From: Florian =?iso-8859-1?Q?L=E4ng?= <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: pppd connected but no ping (again)

Like several postings before I have a working ppp connection, but I cant
ping any remote server (100% lost packages). I guess its something with
wrong routing tables, but I dont know much about this as I am new to
linux. 'netstat -rn' gives

212.254.10.14  0.0.0.0        255.255.255.255  UH  1500 0  0  ppp0
127.0.0.0      0.0.0.0        255.0.0.0        U   3584 0  0  lo
0.0.0.0        212.254.10.14  0.0.0.0          UG  1500 0  0  pp0

Does this look ok?

The route /sbin/route program doesn't seem to exist on my RH linux 5.1.
Where can I get it?
I have a Zyxel omni.net LCD ISDN - Terminaladapter.

Following the ppp log :

Apr  4 19:43:40 localhost pppd[440]: pppd 2.3.3 started by Florian, uid
500
Apr  4 19:43:41 localhost chat[441]: send (AT&FZE1X7^M)
Apr  4 19:43:41 localhost chat[441]: expect (OK)
Apr  4 19:43:41 localhost chat[441]: AT&FZE1X7^M^M
Apr  4 19:43:41 localhost chat[441]: OK
Apr  4 19:43:41 localhost chat[441]:  -- got it
Apr  4 19:43:41 localhost chat[441]: send (ATD0840840850^M)
Apr  4 19:43:41 localhost chat[441]: expect (CONNECT)
Apr  4 19:43:41 localhost chat[441]: ^M
Apr  4 19:43:45 localhost chat[441]: ATD0840840850^M^M
Apr  4 19:43:45 localhost chat[441]: CONNECT
Apr  4 19:43:45 localhost chat[441]:  -- got it
Apr  4 19:43:45 localhost chat[441]: send (\d)
Apr  4 19:43:46 localhost pppd[440]: Serial connection established.
Apr  4 19:43:47 localhost pppd[440]: Using interface ppp0
Apr  4 19:43:47 localhost pppd[440]: Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/ttyS1
Apr  4 19:43:47 localhost pppd[440]: sent [LCP ConfReq id=0x1 <magic
0xffff1507> <pcomp> <accomp>]
Apr  4 19:43:47 localhost pppd[440]: rcvd [LCP ConfRej id=0x1 <pcomp>
<accomp>]
Apr  4 19:43:47 localhost pppd[440]: sent [LCP ConfReq id=0x2 <magic
0xffff1507>]
Apr  4 19:43:48 localhost pppd[440]: rcvd [LCP ConfReq id=0x1 <asyncmap
0x0> <auth pap> <magic 0xb1ba2da5>]
Apr  4 19:43:48 localhost pppd[440]: sent [LCP ConfAck id=0x1 <asyncmap
0x0> <auth pap> <magic 0xb1ba2da5>]
Apr  4 19:43:48 localhost pppd[440]: rcvd [LCP ConfAck id=0x2 <magic
0xffff1507>]
Apr  4 19:43:48 localhost pppd[440]: sent [PAP AuthReq id=0x1 user="me"
password="mypass"]
Apr  4 19:43:48 localhost pppd[440]: rcvd [PAP AuthAck id=0x1 "Login
Succeeded"]
Apr  4 19:43:48 localhost pppd[440]: Remote message: Login Succeeded
Apr  4 19:43:48 localhost pppd[440]: sent [IPCP ConfReq id=0x1 <addr
0.0.0.0> <compress VJ 0f 01>]
Apr  4 19:43:48 localhost pppd[440]: rcvd [IPCP ConfReq id=0x1 <compress
VJ 0f 00> <addr 212.254.10.14>]
Apr  4 19:43:48 localhost pppd[440]: sent [IPCP ConfAck id=0x1 <compress
VJ 0f 00> <addr 212.254.10.14>]
Apr  4 19:43:48 localhost pppd[440]: rcvd [IPCP ConfNak id=0x1 <addr
212.254.10.161>]
Apr  4 19:43:48 localhost pppd[440]: sent [IPCP ConfReq id=0x2 <addr
212.254.10.161> <compress VJ 0f 01>]
Apr  4 19:43:48 localhost pppd[440]: rcvd [IPCP ConfAck id=0x2 <addr
212.254.10.161> <compress VJ 0f 01>]
Apr  4 19:43:48 localhost pppd[440]: local  IP address 212.254.10.161
Apr  4 19:43:48 localhost pppd[440]: remote IP address 212.254.10.14
Apr  4 19:46:48 localhost pppd[440]: Terminating on signal 15.
Apr  4 19:46:48 localhost pppd[440]: sent [LCP TermReq id=0x3 "User
request"]
Apr  4 19:46:49 localhost pppd[440]: Hangup (SIGHUP)
Apr  4 19:46:49 localhost pppd[440]: Modem hangup
Apr  4 19:46:49 localhost pppd[440]: Connection terminated.
Apr  4 19:46:50 localhost pppd[440]: Exit.

Thanks for helping

Florian

------------------------------

From: alex <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 04 Apr 1999 20:29:19 +0200

Use the TIS Firewall toolkit

------------------------------

From: Chris Severn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.mail.misc,comp.mail.mime
Subject: Adding header lines using command line mail program
Date: Mon, 05 Apr 1999 02:40:43 +0800

Hi.

I'm interested in running a mail sending program (such as mail,
fastmail, elm) on the command line, passing the  body of the message
through stdin, but ensuring that the header of the message contains a
few particular lines - namely "Mime-Version: 1.0", "Content-Type:
application/octet-stream; name=thefile.gif", and

I've searched the man pages of "mail", "fastmail" and "elm", but they
don't seem to be able to do it.  They can all be passed subject fields,
and an assortment of other fields such as "Reference", "Comments",
"From:" etc., but none seem to be able to be passed the exact fields I
want, or user defined fields.

Does anyone know a common mail program which can do it on the command
line under linux, or anything that I may have missed ?

Thanks.

To know why I want this - read on.

I am often sent .tif files by email from a fax to email gateway provided
by my telecommunications company.  Tiff files are not easily read by
most integrated mail readers and other programs, so I want to convert
these emails to .gif format before sending them on for myself and my
friends to view.  I have used my .procmailrc file on my linux shell
account with my ISP to do nearly everthing which I want.  The extract
from my .procmailrc file follows :

| formail -I "" | mimencode -u >/tmp/convert.tmp ; tifftopnm
/tmp/convert.tmp | ppmtogif | mimencode | mail -s "Fax Received `date`"
[EMAIL PROTECTED] ; rm /tmp/convert.tmp

I use "formail" to strip off the headers, because "mimencode" doesn't
like anything but the mime message.

I use mimencode to decode the mail body to a .tif file.

I use tifftopnm and ppmtogif to convert from tif to a portable bitmap,
then from a portable bitmap to a gif.  The reason I use a temporary file
here is that for some silly reason, tifftopnm doesn't like data from
stdin.

I use mimencode again to encode the .gif

Lastly, I use "mail" to send my message to whoever wants it (just me
during testing).  I enter a subject line which tells me what time I
processed this message.

Then, I delete my temporary file.

All of this works wonderfully, and does exactly what it's meant to.
Except that the image at the other end can't be viewed or decoded
properly by windoze style email clients because there are no header
lines which tell it what type of encoding is used, or the filename (and
hence the resultant image type).  This is why I need to enter the
correct lines regarding encoding into the header of the message. (I
assume the three lines I mention are the correct ones because those are
the ones I see in the incoming message from the fax-email gateway).

I'd appreciate any suggestions anyone may have.

Thanks.

Chris Severn.
--
Delete the 'x' to remove the spamblock.
Except spammers, for whom my email address is abuse@localhost

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Frank Hahn)
Subject: Re: Sendmail smart relay question
Date: Sun, 04 Apr 1999 17:54:39 GMT

On Sat, 03 Apr 1999 10:28:38 GMT, Rino Perri <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I need your help, please: I connect to the net through PPP and would
>like to use my ISP as smart  relay host. I run sendmail 8.9.3 on linux
>slackware 3.6.  I DO NOT have the same user name locally  as I have
>at my ISP.  I have modified my sendmail.cf as follows:
>
>   # who I masquerade as (null for no masquerading)
>   DMmyISP.net
>
>   # "Smart" relay host (may be null)
>   DSsmtp.myISP.net
>
>When I run 'sendmail -q' sendmail fails and I get an e-mail titled
>"Mail Delivery S (48) Returned Mail:
>Data format error" which states "501 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
>Sender domain must exist." (where "rperri" is my local user name
>and "swift" is the name for my machine.)
>
>Obviously swift.myISP.net (myISP.net stands for my real ISP's name) is
>not considered a valid domain.  Besides, [EMAIL PROTECTED] is
not my e-mail (my email address being [EMAIL PROTECTED])

You are better off starting with a *.mc file and not modifying
your /etc/sendmail.cf file.

Either way, you need to restart sendmail to make it re-read the
/etc/sendmail.cf file.

You need to look into using the genericstable feature.  It maps
a local user name to an email address.

Here is a generic *.mc file I use on a Slackware system.  You may
or may not need all of these things.  You may need to add others.
I'll let you go through the sendmail documentation and figure
out what these things all do.

===========linux.mc======================
include(`../m4/cf.m4')
VERSIONID(`linux for smtp-only setup with procmail')dnl
OSTYPE(linux)
MASQUERADE_AS(yourisp.com)
FEATURE(genericstable)dnl
FEATURE(allmasquerade)dnl
FEATURE(nocanonify)dnl
FEATURE(always_add_domain)dnl
FEATURE(masquerade_envelope)dnl
define(`confCON_EXPENSIVE', `True')dnl
define(`confHOSTS_FILE', `/etc/hosts')dnl
define(`confSERVICE_SWITCH_FILE', `/etc/service.switch')dnl
define(`SMTP_MAILER_FLAGS', `e')dnl
define(`SMART_HOST', `smtp:[smtp.yourisp.com]')dnl
MAILER(local)dnl
MAILER(smtp)dnl
===============end==========================

Also, there is a sendmail newsgroup where it is probably easier to
get help.

--
Frank Hahn

------------------------------

From: "William Evans" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: getting my innd server fed, through ppp
Date: 04 Apr 1999 14:43:05 -0400

    Kevin> I'd like to set up a cron job which would log in in the middle of the
    Kevin> night, and then do something to get my innd server fed about 10 text
    Kevin> groups.

http://www.kvaleberg.com/newsx.html

Been working beautifully for me for a couple of years now.

--
William Evans                 < william . evans @ computer . org >

------------------------------

From: Richard Pitt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux as NT server
Date: Sun, 04 Apr 1999 18:50:26 GMT

Greg Weeks wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>         Richard Pitt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> >> The easy part will be samba ......... the far more difficult part to try and
> >> duplicate will be the infamous "blue-screen-of-death".  This is as far as I can
> >> tell a Micro$oft monopoly.
> >>
> >> Regards
> >> Bill
> >>
> >> --
> >> William R. Mattil       | Fred Astaire wasn't so great.
> >> [EMAIL PROTECTED]  | Ginger had to do it all backwards
> >> (972) 399-4106          | and... in high heels.
> >
> > Actually, it should be fairly easy to create a screen save that emulates
> > the BSOD. You could even throw in some random "interesting" text.
> >       "System has become unstable - please re-boot with Linux"
> >
> >       "System has become unstable - Bill Gates passed Go - please send $200"
> >
> >       "System has become unstable - please re-install"
> >
> > you get the picture ;-)
>
> A little cron job that juggles random numbers and decides whether to
> die or not. Adjustable to suit how realistic you want it. If you want
> realism it occasionally does a mke2fs on your drive for you.
>
> Greg Weeks
> --
> http://durendal.tzo.com/greg/

HMMMM.... I'm not sure this is all that realistic - it's more along the
lines of getting a virus. Maybe something that randomly injects changes
into /lib files might be more interesting. This would duplicate the
changes usually made to system .DLL files by software loaded by users.
I'm sure the pseudo randomness could be quite entertaining. Might even
get the system administration costs somewhere close to those I've seen
on a 'real' NT system ;-)

richard

--
Richard C. Pitt                 FirePlug Computers Inc.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]            604-465-2666

------------------------------

From: Richard Pitt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: winmodems
Date: Sun, 04 Apr 1999 18:53:34 GMT

John Hardin wrote:

> John Nelson wrote in message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
> >
> >In the right environment, say a dial-up gateway server for a small office,
> >the el-cheapo Lucent chipset Winmodem would be a great fit. With CPU
> cycles
> >to spare, Linux should be able to handle modem emulation chores.
> >
> >Or is it too wimpy an OS for that?
> >
> ><ducking...>
>
> Ducking doesn't help much when they're shooting at your kneecaps...
>
> Seriously, I would expect Winmodem support to follow fairly quickly on the
> heels of specification release by the chipset vendors. Don't lose any sleep
> waiting for *that*, though.
>
> --
>  John Hardin KA7OHZ                               [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>  pgpk -a finger://gonzo.wolfenet.com/jhardin    PGP key ID: 0x41EA94F5
>  PGP key fingerprint: A3 0C 5B C2 EF 0D 2C E5  E9 BF C8 33 A7 A9 CE 76
>   In the Lion
>   the Mighty Lion
>   the Zebra sleeps tonight...
>   Dee de-ee-ee-ee-ee de de de we um umma way!

I for one hope nobody ever creates the software to run these incipid
little devils under Linux. Anybody that purchased one should demand a
refund as they are completely incapable of being reliable - depending as
they do on system load.

richard