From: James Beck <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: IP forwarding and firewall FAQ-Help!
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 1999 21:46:14 -0800

I just forwarded my first packet!!! Thank you all for your help!

  The problem I was having with this was 'personal density', i.e. doing
something colossally boneheaded. For my testing of all this I was
pinging from a Win95 machine. I was pinging everything locally fine, but
my TCP/IP gateway was not set. The packets would bounce around the
subnet, never find a home, and die. Once I set the gateway address to the
address of my ethernet card, packets got through to the machine and I
was able to ping the other card (attached to the internet). Getting out
from there was a matter of getting my ipfwadm forwarding rules setup
properly.

  Yea! I feel so free!

        Jim

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,alt.uu.comp.os.linux.questions,de.comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Re: NoteBook, Linux and Ethernet Setup Q.?
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 11:30:47 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  Homi Najafi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I installed Linux (RedHat 5.2) on my Toshiba Tecra750DVD notebook and I
> have a PCMCIA 3C589C ethernet card.
>
> What should I do now to connect to the network? Should I install driver
> for my card?
> Would you please tell me what should I do step by step to be able to
> connect to the network.
> I seems Linux didn't recognize me network card at all.
>
> I'll be appretiated if you can answer to "[EMAIL PROTECTED]".
>
> Thank you,
>
> Homi

add something to your bootup-config ( i dont know about redhat, but with suse
its possible in yast ) to start the pcmcia-services befor network is started.
your card should be autorecognized then.
i have a cheap ne2000-noname one and it works fine.
you might have to find out the pcmcia-chipset of your notebook,
there is a linux-on-noteboooks side somewhere, and i guess you'll find toshiba
there.

From: "Curt" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: traceroute 10.1.1.2=> 10.1.1.1 .323ms !H .238ms !H
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 06:52:15 -0500

It means it found the other node in 1 hop.

type:

# man traceroute

------------------------------

From: "Curt" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: No network - RH 5.2
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 06:55:41 -0500

Was config of your network card successful?
type:
#ifconfig
post the results

------------------------------

From: "Leopold Toetsch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Dyn. PPP addr: IP Masq, diald alt.?
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 10:14:09 +0100

Hi,
Mark Smith wrote in message
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]
t>...
>Hello,

>As is well-known
>(http://www.loonie.net/~eschenk/diald/diald-faq-6.html#ss6.11), the
>first TCP session that causes the line to dial in this configuration
>freezes. This has me in a bit of a quandry:
>
>Does anyone know of some alternatives I could look into or something
>else to try?

Did you start RST-provoking (kernel-Patch by Erik Corry):
http://www.image.dk/~ehcorry/linux/
I should be included in kernels >= 2.0.34

in /etc/rc.d/boot.local or /etc/rc.d/boot:

echo 7 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_dynaddr

I'm using kernel 2.0.36 with same scenario.
Nethertheless _sometimes_ I have to press refresh on my browser to get the
HTML-page loaded.

Hope this helps
leo

------------------------------

From: Ronald Hovens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Windows 95/98 -> to linux Samba; diald problems
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 13:18:52 +0100

Brian,

I read your question about diald and win'98 today. I don't have an answer to
your problem, butmaybe you can help me in setting up a similar
infrastructure; I myself tried to configure my linux server and win'98
clients for use with diald but sofar I didn't succeed.

Can you send me some help, specifically I am interested in your following
files:

/etc/ppp/options
diald.conf

Furthermore I am interested in the command you use to start the diald daemon
(which commandline options do you use). Many thanks in advance, your help
will save me a lot of time and headaches!

Ronald Hovens

------------------------------

From: Ronald Hovens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 13:19:25 +0100

Brian,

------------------------------

From: Ronald Hovens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 13:19:47 +0100

Brian,

------------------------------

From: Ronald Hovens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 13:17:02 +0100

Brian,

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: remote x server problems
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 12:08:22 GMT

In article <NhmK2.4387$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  "Michael" <&&[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi, I finally set up Exceed 6.0 on WinNT to run with my RH 5.1 system.  I
> have KDE set up and I'm playing with different themes.  It seems that
> whenever I go to the display properties panel, it goes REALLLLLLLYYYY
> slowly,and it seems to depend on the size of the bitmap background.  What
> worries me is that I have a 100base-t point to point connection under my
> desk, so bandwidth shouldn't be a problem, even for large images.  Also, why
> is the display panel sending so much data across the network, if at all?
> Also, when I try to scale the background image (as opposed to tiled or
> centered) it takes forever.  I'm running a P-166 with 128MB on the linux
> end, and a dual P-pro 200 with 64MB on the NT end, so speed/memory is not a
> problem.  This speed problem also happened with another x server I
> downloaded.
>
> Secondly, with the Exceed, the control panel at the bottom of the screen
> comes on the for the first few seconds and then disappears entirely.  when I
> resurrect it with kpanel from an xterm, it dies out again.  This did not
> happen with the previous x server (before exceed).
>
> thanks for any input
> m.s.
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

this looks to me like an exceed-problem , have you asked these guys? i'm
using vnc,btw, its free, its a bit sloppy but not more than some other
x-servers i've seen , and it goes both ways - you can see your
winnt(or9x)screen on the linux-side as well. try it maybe you'll like it the
homepage-adress is somewhere in this newsgroup - hunt for 'x-servers' its orl
in uk i think

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: NFS Client for NT
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 12:14:39 GMT

In article <7dd35n$35m$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Does anybody know a good NFS Client for Windows NT to access
> my Linux NFS Server ?
>
> If possible it should be free !
>
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

hey yes i'd be intersted in a free one as well !!! there are a lot of
commercial ones: reflection(wrq) exceed/maestro(hummingbird) microsoft had a
beta-version of unix-for-nt out for a while, but its commercial now ( if its
available already) as well i found them by searching the internet with 'nfs'-
they offer testversions for download ( like 30 days usable or so) good luck

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Floyd Davidson)
Subject: Re: CSU/DSU questions
Date: 25 Mar 1999 05:17:10 GMT

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>On Sun, 21 Mar 1999 00:56:40 GMT, David Grossman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>wrote:
>
>>How is a CSU/DSU used exactly?

A CSU/DSU is a protocol changer, such that on one side the protocols
for transmitting data over a DS1 (T1) line are used, and on the other
side some different protocol is used (v.35 or Async serial data for
example).  In addition a CSU/DSU contains some test functionality
(it will loop either direction back in response to codes recieved
from the DS1 interface side), and generally has options to determine
which side provides a clocking source.

Some CSU/DSU units can be used to separate 2 or more data
channels on the DS1 into two separate serial subrate channels.
An example would be that the DS1 rate is 1.536 mbps (amd can be
divided up into any combination of 64Kbps segments) which can be
used as two distinct 768Kbps data channels.  Generally only one
data channel is provided, and it can be any multiple of 64Kbps
from 64K to 1.536M.  When less than 1.536Mbps is use it is
commonly called a subrate channel, or more commonly now days a
"partial T1".

>>When a network connection is brought into the CSU/DSU from the telco how
>>is it utilized?

The telco side has a device called a "span driver", which
connects to the telephone lines on one side (or instead it might
be a fiber optic or microwave radio rather than a cable span),
and to an RJ45 jack on the customers side.  The RJ45 jack is a
DS1 interface point, where the data encoding and framing
protocols meet DS1 standards.  That interfaces to one side of
the CSU/DSU.  The other side of the CSU/DSU is configured for
whatever type of protocol is necessary.  V.35 is common, as are
both async and sync serial protocols.

>>when a user dials in does the CSU/DSU simply xlate the signal into
>>something a router can immediately use, or
>>does the CSU/DSU connect to a modem bank?

A CSU/DSU doesn't do any data processing as such, just level
changing to match different protocols.

>as head network engineer at my isp I believe I'm qualified to answer
>this question.
>
>the T1 comming from the telco has 24 digital channels.  the CSU/DSU

In this case the T1 is _not_ channelized into 24 digital
channels.  There are still 24 bytes per frame on the T1, but
they are not distinct channels.  The T1 amounts to one big
1.536 Mb data channel into the CSU/DSU, and one big 1.536
channel out of it.  The in and out do use different data
formatting protocols though.

>combines these channels to use the full bandwidth of the T1.  1.5Mbps
>there are 2 connections on a typical CSU/DSU one serial to the router
>the other an RJ-45 for the T1.  This is used for point-to-point
>connections between POPs and to the internet backbone.  the serial
>side connects to the router which normally puts the traffic on the
>ISP's ethernet where the modem banks and servers are.
>
>when a user dials in, s/he hits a ch-T1 also with 24 channels that
>connects directly to a digital modem bank.  each channel is a seperate
>phone line and no csu/dsu is used.

There is no CSU/DSU because the digital modem unit has a DS1 interface
and uses DS1 framing.  (It is also possible to find routers that have
a DS1 interface, which also would eliminate the need for a CSU/DSU on
the point-to-point Internet connection described above.)  However, note
that on most units that have a DS1 interface the major functionality
of a CSU/DSU is in fact built into the unit.  Such things as loopback
tests which can be triggered from the telco end to test the entire
circuit are commonly included, and from the telco's perspective there
_is_ a CSU/DSU!  (The tech plugs in a test set, does a CSU/DSU loop,
and will tell you that your non-existant CSU/DSU works just fine!)

>one could say that a CSU/DSU is a digital multi-modem with 24 lines
>using load balencing automatically.

Eh?  I'm unable to figure out what that means in relation to the
functionality provided by a CSU/DSU.

>here is a simple illistration
>   internet(telco T1)
       |

       |  <----  That line uses DS1 protocols for encoding and framing

> _____|_____
> |_csu/dsu_|                                  POP (remote location)
       |

       |   <----  That line uses some other protocol, such as v.35

>      |         _________                            _________
> _____|______---|csu/dsu|---telco(T1)-----telco(T1)--|csu/dsu|
> |_router___|   ---------                            ---------

                 \                                      /
                   This represents a point-to-point link
                   to a remote modem bank.  As such it
                   works exactly like the above connection
                   to the Internet.

>     |                                               _____|___
>     |        home site                              |router |
>---------------------ethernet-----------------       -----|---
>    |            |              |           |            ethernet
>____|____    ____|_____     ____|____    ___|____        _|_____
>|www.com|    |news.com|     |modems |    |modems|        |modems|
>---------    ----------     ----|----    ---|----        ---|----
>                                |           |               |
>                              telco       telco           telco
>                             (ch-T1)     (ch-T1)         (ch-T1)

                            \                                     /
                              These T1's do not require a CSU/DSU
                              because the "modems" have an RJ45
                              jack and use a DS1 interface.

  Floyd

--
Floyd L. Davidson                                [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)                       [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Lew Pitcher)
Subject: Re: need help with mini network
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 13:22:04 GMT

Is the NIC driver properly installed into Linux?

Is the NIC driver properly enabled in Linux (ifconfig eth0)?

Can you ping the loopback in Linux?

Have you added a route to your net in Linux (route add -net)?

Can you ping by IP address Win98 from Linux?

Have you set the Linux default route (route add default gw )? to the
Win98 box?

On Thu, 25 Mar 1999 00:53:40 -0800, "Claus Meisel"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Hi
>
>I plan to set up a little network in the house to share the costs for DSL.
>So I bought a Hub 10Mbps and hooked, to start with, my Pentium II 350Mhz,
>running 98 and the Pentium 90, now running RedHat 5.2 Server together.
>The Modem is in the Pentium II and not the RedHat machine because it did not
>recognize the PCI Modem.
>If I use Wingate under 98 or RideWay, it works fine between the windows
>environment. Using Proxy settings I even manage to browse the net from all
>machines.
>The problem is, how can I get on-line with the Unix machine ? The windows
>machine is online and the Unix machine doesn't seem to know it.
>I set the IP to 192.168.1.2 and the DNS to 192.168.1.1 ( window machine with
>modem )
>My plan was really to get ADSL, use the Unix machine as the server and hook
>up all the windows machines to it using IP_Masquerade (??)
>Any suggestions ? Also, for $50 more I can get a 100Mbps Hub and 2 100Mbps
>cards. Is it necessary for a Network which will at the most have 5 machines
>?
>
>Thanks for your help. Please e-mail me.
>
>Claus

Lew Pitcher
System Consultant, Development Services
Toronto Dominion Bank

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Tobias Reckhard)
Subject: Re: Difference Between NAT and IPMasquerade
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 1999 07:40:18 GMT

On Tue, 23 Mar 1999 13:52:17 -0700, "Ramon Leon"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>wrong, they are both the same thing, just the name is different.  besides
>what good would NAT be if you still had to have a gazillion valid external
>addresses.  NAT is what the non unix community call it.  Masq is what the
>Unix community call it.  That's the only difference!

No. IP Masquerading is n:1 address translation, whereas NAT is n:m,
with m <= n usually. But m is not required to be 1.

Tobias

From: "Bob D" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Bought modem to work in LINUX!
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 06:33:28 GMT

You are all correct. Using isapnp fixed the problem quickly. I'm only left
wondering why I didn't have this problem with the original Supra288i modem I
replaced, it being a pnp also. Is there any way to monitor the connect
speed? I'd like to see what the new modem is doing.

Bob D
<7dbrmm$4uoq$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...