Linux-Networking Digest #638, Volume #10         Fri, 26 Mar 99 07:14:09 EST

Contents:
  Re: Machine name themes - what do you use? (LC's No-Spam Newsreading account)
  Re: ICQ Client and socks... ("Curt")
  LCP: timout sending config request - Please Help ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Linux as a firewall!! (David ROBERT)
  What man pages should I start with? (Gary  Helbig)
  ip masq help (Andrew Bergmann)
  Problem trying to start squid 2 in Linux 2.0.36 ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Diald wants module-net-pf5 (Mike Jagdis)
  Re: Use two different "defalut route" (Brian McCauley)
  Help! ncpfs/dosemu under Netware 4.11 (Fran Putney)
  Automatically "startx" ("Russell S. DiPesa")
  ISA network card problem with RedHat 5.2 ("Jimmy Lee")
  Re: kernel: ip_masq_new(proto=TCP): no free ports. ("Leopold Toetsch")
  Re: FireWall/Masquerading Problem ("Leopold Toetsch")
  Re: Netscape and DNS again... ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: SAMBA CONFIGURATION HELP!!! ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  login isn't possible from this station ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: What NIC to buy for Linux machine? ([EMAIL PROTECTED] (Paul E. Larson))
  Re: ip masq help ("Leopold Toetsch")
  Fetchmail/sendmail: need basic help (Simon Hampton)
  Samba: Sharing a remote printer ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: FireWall/Masquerading Problem (M. Buchenrieder)
  LINUX AS FIREWALL (Jan Kuemmerle)

From: LC's No-Spam Newsreading account <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.unix.solaris,comp.os.os2.networking.server,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.admin.networking,comp.infosystems.www.servers.unix,comp.protocols.tcp-ip.domains
Subject: Re: Machine name themes - what do you use?
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 1999 10:21:55 +0100

See http://www.ifctr.mi.cnr.it/News/history.html

[EMAIL PROTECTED] is a newsreading account used by more persons to

From: "Curt" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ICQ Client and socks...
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 1999 04:28:52 -0500

I screwed up (again).   I misunderstood that this was a linux client.  Under
linux or unix there is runsock wrapper to sockify clients.  But I've never
had any luck with it.

Back to your original make question.  It still appears you are missing a
library, with all the
unresolved references.   Can you email the person/place you got the code
from?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: LCP: timout sending config request - Please Help
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 1999 08:39:58 GMT

Hi, I'm a newbie on Linux and will be grateful for any help:

I'm trying to config my PPP0 to connect to my ISP.
My ISP has no chat session, i.e. no login and password needed. On win95 it was
configured that the PPP session starts immediately.

Debugging my PPP session on Linux, I see that the serial connection is
established correctly, then there is the line (on the log) "connect: ppp0 <-->
/dev/ttyS0" then after 30 seconds there is "LCP: timeout sending
Config-Request" and the modem disconnects.

I have read that there may be something wrong with the chat session but I
don't see what, especially as there is no typical type chat session.

I'm using redhat 5.2

Please help

Thank you,

Yoram Leviant
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

From: David ROBERT <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux as a firewall!!
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 1999 10:54:27 +0100

Greg Weeks a écrit :

> I think the cicso will need to be set up with the firewall as the
> gateway for that segment. I'm a little out of my depth here as I've
> never worked with the big cisco routers. The other option might be to
> have the DMZ be off a hub from the cisco router. This assumes the
> cisco will be enough of a firewall for your DMZ.

I've read that I probably need to subnet my C class in 2 subnets :
1 between my routeur and firewall
1 for my DMZ

So I have to add a route in my cisco for the DMZ network. This
way I understand because the two interfaces cards are not in the
same network, it's subneted.

Eg:
192.123.12.1 netmask 255.255.255.128
IP numbers from 192.123.12.1 -> 192.123.12.127 (hub behind the cisco,
not protected)
IP numbers from 192.123.12.129 -> 192.123.12.254 (Hosts in the DMZ
routed
by the firewall).

Looks good ? The only problem is that I'm not the cisco owner and I hope
they will be ok to configure it a particular way.

> You might also be able to set up some sort of a hybrid router/bridge
> with the Linux firewall. A bridge can have ip addresses on both it's
> interfaces, though it usually won't. This might not work too, I've
> never seen anything set up like this.

Yes, and I'm not sure ipfwadm rules will work in a bridge configuration.

David ROBERT.

------------------------------

From: Gary  Helbig <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: What man pages should I start with?
Date: 26 Mar 1999 09:39:14 GMT

This is a RFM question, but I need to know which FM's.

Going to build a Linux box to replace an existing server, and
turn it into a "Not There (tm)" box.

The linux box will have two ethernet ports, and needs to be
a web server, a proxy server, a mail server, and a firewall.
Oh, and it needs to be a DHCP host for the (proxy) served clients.

The DNS and NNTP server will be provided by the ISP.

I will want to administer the system remotely, preferably
with my X server.

Pointers, or BTDT stories?  It's a matter of pride to make this
go as smoothly/quickly as possible; the current server works,
and I'm the only lobbiest for Linux "there".

TIA
Gary.

------------------------------

From: Andrew Bergmann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: ip masq help
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 1999 18:16:54 +1000

Hi,
   I just wondering why when I try accessing certain webpages through my
linux box using ip masq it doesn't work while other pages work fine.
When I use the linux box itself to access the same webpages it works
fine. Could someone please explain to me why this is ?

Please email me on [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Problem trying to start squid 2 in Linux 2.0.36
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 1999 09:10:55 GMT

Hello all my Squid friends!  I am trying to set up Squid for the first time.
I am involved in an important project to set up Linux labs in Universities in
Japan, in this case Tokyo University.  If you can believe that I am one of
the lead engineers (witholding your chuckle) in this project, thank you!

The fact of the matter is that I am learning as I go.

Here is my problem.  I am trying to start Squid 2 with the commands:
/usr/sbin/squid -z  /usr/sbin/squid as instructed in the QUICKSTART file in
the /usr/docs/squid directory. When I type "squid -z" I get "Creating Swap
Directories" as a result.  No problems there. But when I enter "squid" the
system churns and crunches for about 30 sec., and then silence.  It never
concludes the command.  I.e., I am not returned to a prompt but instead the
system just sits there staring at me like a mule.  Won't go foreward, won't
go backward.  Doesn't freeze or die, but doesn't complete the command.  (At
which point I end up doing a Ctrl-C to exit this dark and quite emptiness).

Here are some specs about my system:
Squid 2
TurboLinux 1.0 (kernel 2.0.36)

As for the configuration of squid.conf, I followed the recommended settings in
the QUICKSTART, included in my distribution.  I.e., the most basic settings.
Nothing in the troubleshooting section of the User Guide mentions this type of
problem, and a lot of the documentation out there still references pre-2
versions of Squid.

Please help.  My neck is on the line with management on with this one.

--Daniel

"Well, let's just say, 'if your VCR is still blinking 12:00, you don't
want Linux'".
                    --- Bruce Perens, Debian's Fearless Leader

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mike Jagdis)
Subject: Re: Diald wants module-net-pf5
Date: 26 Mar 1999 10:47:34 GMT

In article <7dfa9q$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Eric Wick wrote:

>when Diald goes Online, the Syslog shows "cant locate module net-pf5". This
>Module does not exist on the system.
>What for is this module and where to get it?

It's appletalk. If you need to use appletalk you can select it
when you build a kernel. The fact that you get this message
implies you are not using the absolute latest net-tools package
but it isn't a problem.

                                Mike

--
    A train stops at a train station, a bus stops at a bus station.
    On my desk I have a work station...

From: Brian McCauley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Use two different "defalut route"
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 1999 08:35:07 +0000

"Albert Want" <al-want@#--remove--#usa.net> writes:

> I'm using a RedHat 5.2 on a machine with two network adapter which is used a
> gateway/proxy for my internal network.
>
> One ethernet adapter is used to connect my internal networks and the other
> one it's connected to a cisco and from here to my ISP.
>
> Since the lesed line sometimes it's not enough, I bought an ISDN Router to
> use 8Kb/sec more during peak hours... What I'd like to do it's to choose at
> runtime which subnets should use the ISDN router and which subnets should
> use the cisco.
>
> Since ipfwadm isn't the solution (you cannot forward the packets through a
> gateway) I was thinking about use the route command to modify the routing
> table on the machine. But this is not enough since the rules in the routing
> table recognize only the target address and not the source (I'd like to
> change the route only for some subnets).
>
> So, does anyone know how to use two different "default route" choosed by
> looking at the IP address source ?

Yes you need to enable something called, "policy routing".  Possibly
the worst documented part of Linux kernel.

There is a massive over-lap between the capabilities of the "forward"
ipchain and policy routing.  Both can effectively achieve the same
functionality but the rules are speified in a different way.  "policy
routing" can specify specify different next-hop/interface based on
source address.

I'm sure some sort of rationalisation is over-due.

Does anyone know of good documentation on policy routing?  (The stuff
given in /usr/src/linux/Documentation is rather rudimentary).

I've been thinking of knocking together an article for LJ comparing
the two mecanisms.

> Thanks in advance for your answer and please answer in mail too, by removing
> #--remove--# from mail email address.

OK, but I trust you realise this means that your un-munged address
appears in the message headers.

--
     \\   ( )  No male bovine  | Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  .  _\\__[oo   faeces from    | Phones: +44 121 471 3789 (home)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Fran Putney)
Subject: Help! ncpfs/dosemu under Netware 4.11
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 1999 11:07:53 GMT

I am on a Novell 4.11 network with 2.2 kernel with every IPX feature
enabled in the kernel, Debian distribution, running ncpfs to connect
as a client, primarily working in DOSEmu .9.8.5, with DOS 6.22 as my
hdimpage within the WordPerfect DOS shell.  I am unable to work
effectively because

(a) I am not recognized on the network as a full user -- when I try to
use WP Mail or Calendar or Scheduler, it tells me "access denied".  If
I try to log in as an _unknown_ user, it gives me the response that I
am _unknown_ on the system, so it does _recognize_ me.

(b) One out of every 5 times I try to look at directories in DOS,
it shows me there is nothing there or only one out of hundreds of
directories.  If I play with it for a while the directories show back
up again eventually - for no reason I can identify.  I can access and
make changes to a database for a few minutes, but then it kicks me
out, saying I don't have sufficient permissions on the network!

[c] I can't load any DOS volumes beyond k:, even though I am using
exactly the same procedure, as far as I can tell, to do so.  I need,
for example the "w:" directory.  I tried "lastdrive=" to no apparent
effect.

[d] Everything is painfully slow, especially working in the database
until it kicks me out.  This is purely a function of the network
because, if I run the same applications in exactly the same way, only
on my local hard drive, they work fine.

I mount the volume with "ncpmount -S [the Novell volume] -V sys
/mnt/e: -U ftp".  ("ftp" is coincidentally my actual Netware user
name, which is my initials.)  It does prompt me for a password, and
the Novell server shows that I am properly logged in as a user.

Within my config.sys in the hdimage, I have the following, where "d:",
which is my local actual /dev/hda3, is used as a place-holder to
create the drive letters I really don't need on the network::

device=c:\emufs.sys /mnt/d:          [becomes d:]]
device=c:\emufs.sys /mnt/e:      [becomes e:]]
device=c:\emufs.sys /mnt/f:          [becomes f:]]
device=c:\emufs.sys /mnt/d:          [becomes g:]]
device=c:\emufs.sys /mnt/h:          [becomes h:]]
device=c:\emufs.sys /mnt/e:      [becomes i:]]
device=c:\emufs.sys /mnt/d:          [becomes j:]]
device=c:\emufs.sys /mnt/k:          [becomes k:]]

In /mnt/, f:, h: and k: are defined as links to the appropriate
subdirectory of e:/sys/, so that the above works in DOSEmu config.sys.

(1) Is there anything I can do working with ncpfs so that I can log on
to the network as a regular user and be recognized as such?

(2) Is the only way to be on the Novell 4.11 network as a full user to
use the Caldera package?  I am concerned about doing that not only
because of the size, but because Caldera licensed that from Novell,
and the Novell client for MS Windows messes up an application I really
want to use, DPMouse for DataPerfect.

(3) Why can't I have drives above k:?  Does someone know how to use
lredir with a Novell volume? (I have done that with local drives on
other machines, naming up to drive "v:" for DOSEmu purposes, tying
that in with the fstab).

I have no choice about staying on the Novell network or staying in DOS
for large portions of my work for at least the next year.  I can't
migrate to wider use of Linux unless I can get get some work done in
Linux where I am right now..

Taylor Putney

------------------------------

From: "Russell S. DiPesa" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Automatically "startx"
Date: 25 Mar 1999 22:59:01 GMT

To All,
        How do I automatically run startx so that I don't have to do a console
based login and then do an Xwindows based login?  I tried setting the xdm
runlevel to lower levels (from 5 to 4 to 3), but the best I could get was a
console-base login, then Xwindows started on its own, and then an Xwindows
based login.

Russell

------------------------------

From: "Jimmy Lee" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: ISA network card problem with RedHat 5.2
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 1999 17:56:39 +0800

Hi, all,

I am a new user to Linux, also this newsgroup.  Actually, I have a problem
for the above mentioned question.

I have a ISA PnP network interface card.  I have disable the PnP function
within the BIOS of my computer.  I leave the card setting as PnP enable.
When I try to install the RedHat 5.2 onto my computer, everything is fine.
I just need to answer the NIC part as below:

NIC type:  Novell 2000 compatible
IRQ: 10
DMA: 0x2A0

And the installation can completed without any error.

However, when I check with the NIC, I found some problems with it.  I can
ping the NIC by using the loopback IP address (127.0.0.1) and the assigned
IP (131.107.2.200, for example).  However, I cannot use the ping to connect
other computer on the same network segment.  In addition, I found the NIC
card has zero value of TXs and RXs with ifconfig command.  I don't
understand why this happened.

Could anyone can give me a hint or idea about this?

Thanks.

Big Pen

------------------------------

From: "Leopold Toetsch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: kernel: ip_masq_new(proto=TCP): no free ports.
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 1999 10:33:30 +0100

Brian Turner wrote in message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
>I am getting the above message on SuSE 5.3 after installing
>their 2.0.36 kernel.  Once I get this message masquerading
>stops working (reliably).
>
>netstat -an and viewing the syslog (I have verbose logging turned
>on) both reveal few connections (i.e. < 4)
>
>Any suggestions?

You ran out of masquing buffers.

You could restart (flush) masquerading in ip-down, or as standard script use
a symlink to ip-up in section ip-down) of ip-up.

In the standard script there are 3 lines in ip-up:
ip-down)
    # restart the interface
    /sbin/ifconfig $INTERFACE down
    sleep 1
    /sbin/ifconfig $INTERFACE $IFCONFIG
    ;;

which IMHO would also the internal masq tables.
s. also support-db/sdb/isdnquick.html

leo

------------------------------

From: "Leopold Toetsch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: FireWall/Masquerading Problem
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 1999 10:16:47 +0100

Stephen Thomas wrote in message ...
>I am running S.u.S.E. Linux 6.0 and kernel 2.2.2 at home and am fairly new
>to Linux. I am trying to setup the linux machine to masquerade for my other
>2 computers into my dial-up ISP account using a dynamic IP address on the
>outside and 192.168.10.x on the inside. The dialup is working and
>IP-Forwarding seems to be working but I get errors when the system boots up
>and tries to start the firewall and Masquerading. The error is:
>
>ipfwadm: setsockopt failed: Protocol not available

As already stated by another post, 2.2.2 uses ipchains.
If you are using standars SuSE scripts (configured by YaST), you could
define at the beginning of /etc/rc.d/masquerade
IPFWADM="/sbin/ipfwadm-wrapper"

Also note that SuSE's firewall script is not suited for dynamic IPs because
it is started during network startup (runlevel 2/3) where the dynamic IP is
not known yet.
For a firewall for dynamic IP (started during ip-up) look at:
http://www.toetsch.at/de/tips/linux/99/08.htm

leo
P.S. I'm using  SuSE 6.0, 2.0.36

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Netscape and DNS again...
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 1999 10:32:12 GMT

So, here's how I solved it:  - Started YaST  - "System administration"  -
"Network configuration"  - "Network base configuration" Here I deactivated my
ethernet adapter(!). Back to previous menu.  - "Configuration nameserver"
Entered the IP of my nameserver here too. /etc/resolv.conf still looks the
same though... Perhaps some special S.u.S.E. stuff that handles this? Back to
the network menu again.  - "DHCP Client" Started this client. Exited YaST.

Now Netscape 4.5 works.

Seems like it was a DNS problem for me too, only I had to use YaST to convince
S.u.S.E.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: SAMBA CONFIGURATION HELP!!!
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 1999 09:13:59 GMT

  David Kirkpatrick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Probably /etc/lmhosts is not setup.  Setup like hosts in NET-3-HOWTO

It would be a god idea to read NET-3-HOWTO, but it is not this fault we are
looking for..
> BabylonGod wrote:
> >
> > I have trouble configuring samba.
> > When i run "testparm smb.conf" it gives an error:
> >
> > Load smb config files from smb.conf
> > Get_Hostbyname: Unknown host server.
> > Failed to get my hostname.
> >
> > What would cause this error?  How do I resolve this problem?

You have called your linux box "server".. this is NOT something that is a
registered domain in your DNS server i guess... But.. there is a way around
this : Just add your ip and server as the hostname in  /etc/hosts  and your'e
done!

> > -Peter Eacmen
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED]

CyberMax -!-

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: login isn't possible from this station
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 1999 09:59:37 GMT

Hi everybody,

i installed samba 2.0.3 on a HP-UX-10.20. With smbclient connecting to shares
is possible. But when i try to connect from my NT-Workstation i get the
following message :

"Mit diesem Konto kann man sich nicht von dieser Station aus anmelden."

This means (excuse my shaky english) :

"login isn't possible with this account from this station"

What have i to do?

Thanks in advance and greetings from cologne/rhine, tosch

From: whistler<blahblah>@twcny.rr.com (Paul E. Larson)
Subject: Re: What NIC to buy for Linux machine?
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 1999 09:49:17 GMT

In article <hODK2.13$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, John Norman
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>: I'm putting togethter a Linux machine for learning purposes and so
>: forth...what NIC card would be the best to get with the least amount
>: of headaches?  Appreciate the help.
>

>   The DEC Tulip cards seem to be fast and reliable.

Amen, I will second that. Just about every flavor of Linux recognizes them,
haven't tried them all so it may be all.

Paul

Get rid of the blahs to email me :}

------------------------------

From: "Leopold Toetsch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ip masq help
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 1999 12:44:53 +0100

Andrew Bergmann wrote in message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
>Hi,
>   I just wondering why when I try accessing certain webpages through my
>linux box using ip masq it doesn't work while other pages work fine.
>When I use the linux box itself to access the same webpages it works
>fine. Could someone please explain to me why this is ?
>
>Please email me on [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Yesterday I posted here:

Did you start RST-provoking (kernel-Patch by Erik Corry):
http://www.image.dk/~ehcorry/linux/
I should be included in kernels >= 2.0.34

in /etc/rc.d/boot.local or /etc/rc.d/boot:

echo 7 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_dynaddr

I'm using kernel 2.0.36 with same scenario.
Nethertheless _sometimes_ I have to press refresh on my browser to get the
HTML-page loaded.

Hope this helps
leo

------------------------------

From: Simon Hampton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.mail.sendmail
Subject: Fetchmail/sendmail: need basic help
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 1999 12:48:16 +0100

I'm trying to use fetchmail and sendmail to collect my
mails.  Our account is called mb10056, but is has two
aliases simon.hampton and liesbeth.devriendt.  I want to
shift mails for simon.hampton to the linux account called
sim  and the liesbeth.devriendt ones to lies.  I'm sure this
is a common enough situation, but I cannot find any basic
guides to doing this, and fetchmail and sendmail have
learning curves steeper than Linux itself.

So far I've managed get fetchmail to download the mails and
pass them to send mail.  However it passes everything as
mb10056@localhost and sendmail cannot find anything in the
alias file for this so steers it to root.

I think my first question is therefore, what do I need to do
to fetchmail to get it to pass on the right addresses.

Simon

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Samba: Sharing a remote printer
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 1999 06:52:56 GMT

We have print servers which aren't working very well.
  Jobs fail and repeat (due to failure) which fail again.
  Users have no idea who is currently printing (jobs are
     spooled on the local NT station of each user)

I solved these problems by connecting the printer to a Linux
box, but we can't put a Linux box every where we have a printer.

Is it possible to define a remote printer on Linux and then
share that printer? Would the jobs then be spooled on the Linux
server? (I couldn't get the server to recognize an Axis 560 print
server).

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (M. Buchenrieder)
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 1999 08:50:45 GMT

"Stephen Thomas" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>I am running S.u.S.E. Linux 6.0 and kernel 2.2.2 at home and am fairly new
>to Linux.                                 ^^^^^^^

[...]

Don't install new kernels unless you know what you're doing. And if
you do, read the accompagnying docs.

>ipfwadm: setsockopt failed: Protocol not available

[...]

Hint: ipchains

Michael
--
Michael Buchenrieder * [EMAIL PROTECTED] * http://www.muc.de/~mibu

From: Jan Kuemmerle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: LINUX AS FIREWALL
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 1999 12:49:10 +0100

Hi all,
we are using an Cisco router with NAT and 4 static IPs to go into the
Internet.
The router gives the client the IP for 2 minutes.

Now I want a firewall between the client's and the router.
Can anyone give me some hints, whitch Ports must be enabeled, with
Do I have to use the static (official) IPs or the private IPs from our
net.
Thanks
CU
    Jan