Linux-Networking Digest #645, Volume #10         Sat, 27 Mar 99 00:13:41 EST

Contents:
  Help with an office internet solution (Cameron Mulliner)
  Linux and Cable Modem ("Jahan K. Jamshidi")
  Re: minicom (Andrew Comech)
  Router for sale! (Geoff)
  3C509B NIC Problem... ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Problems with Telnet (mist)
  Re: two computer network, 100% packet loss (mist)
  Re: CardBus 3Com Ethernet card 3CCFE-575-BT (Mike Dean)
  Re: HP JetAdmin for RedHat 5.2 (sparc) (L J Bayuk)
  Re: Netscape & Freezing ("John Hardin")
  Anyone using MediaOne? (Marc W Wilson)
  Re: Modem problem (Andrew Comech)
  Re: Help with PPP/MSCHAP80/WINNT connection! (Clifford Kite)
  Help : Ethernet Card ("PC")
  RE: Linux Multimedia & Control Server ("Maung San Zaw")
  Re: winmodems (kyhm)
  problem with casting sockaddr structure to sockaddr_in ("Tan Kiat Seng")
  Re: Modem ("Eugene")
  Re: SAMBA - Can't Logon to Server ("Gerhard")
  Dialup server setup ("¥v´£ªâ")
  Re: In need of VT320 terminal emulation on Linux ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  IP masquerading & domain names (JCA)
  Min Computer hardware when using Linux (J. Peterson)

Date: Fri, 26 Mar 1999 14:54:42 +0000
From: Cameron Mulliner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Help with an office internet solution

Hi
I have a small network at our office and an looking at different
solutions for connecting to the internet via a Cisco 1603 ISDN router.
At the moment I use Redhat Linux 5.2 with the 2.2.3 kernel and DNS with
the default gateway being the router. When packets not local to the
network are received by the Linux box they eventually get sent to the
router and passed to my ISP. This solution works but sometimes the Linux
box is a little slow at forwarding packets to the router. the Linux box
is also connected to via ftp from local clients.

I have looked at ipchains, squid, and other options but am at a loss as
to how to configure the Linux machine to be both secure and yet very
quick to forward ftp, news, http and other packets to the router.

Any ideas, solutions or configs would be greatly appreciated.

rgds

Cameron

------------------------------

From: "Jahan K. Jamshidi" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Linux and Cable Modem
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 1999 08:11:40 -0000

Hello all
I am new in this area.  So any help is greatly appreciated.
My current setup:
1 Linux redhad 5.2  running on a P200
1 win98 system connected to internet with cable modem
1 win95 for kids.
Currently, none of these machine are connected to each other.  They all have
network card installed on them.

I would like to have the linux system as gateway to internet using my cable
modem.  That way I can have my win98 and win95 system use the linux box to
get internet access.

Thank you in advance for your help.

    -Jahan

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Andrew Comech)
Subject: Re: minicom
Date: 26 Mar 1999 22:15:15 -0500

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Dragana Djurica wrote:
>Hi
>I'm truing to set up my internet connection and I am having  problems...
>When I try to dial from minicom to my ISP I get the prompt Login:    and
>Password:....
>When I enter my login name and password I get something like this
>[                  Terminal Server 54                ]
>[         unauthorized access prohibited        ]
>
>slip-server>

Maybe you are not supposed to use a login shell but instead are
expected to start PPP automatically, using PAP (or maybe CHAP)?

Then you should not use minicom; instead, you need to start
pppd which would use chat to communicate to your modem,
and which would then start PAP authentication with the provider?
See provider-howto (or is it mini-howto?) for more info on this...

Actually, what does your provider say about this?

Cheese,
Andrew

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Geoff)
Subject: Router for sale!
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 1999 21:53:06 GMT

NEW -
Cisco 2620 - 100MB 2 WAN CONNECTIONS - $1000.oo

The RETAIL price of this unit is $1700. They are on backorder at Cisco.
I will accept COD or any type of  credit card.

Geoffrey Preston
800-686-1299

Email preferred,
 Reply to me at [EMAIL PROTECTED] with your comments

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: 3C509B NIC Problem...
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 1999 03:09:53 GMT

Hi,

I am trying to install  slackware linux in our PC. I have tried many things
but could not make the network card up.

The Windows device manager shows the network card with these settings.

3Com Fast Etherlink XL 10/100Mb Tx Ethernet NIC
                3C905B - TX.
IRQ-11, Memory Range 08000100-0800017F
I/O Range 1080-10FF

When I boot the linux system I get this message which results in some other
error messages (SIOC.. fail because eth0 setup failure)

The PCI BIOS has not enabled this device! Updating PCI command 0014->0015
eth0: 3Com 3C905B Cyclone 100BaseTx at 0xd480, 00:10:5a:9e:a8:19, IRQ 255

*** Warning: IRQ 255 is unlikely to work! ***
8K byte-wide RAM 5:3 Rx:Tx split, autoselect/NWay Autonegotiation interface.
Enabling bus-master transmits and whole-frame receives.
3c59x.c:v0.99E 5/12/98....

Has anyone familiar with this problem?. Do I need to disable plug and play
stuff?.

Thanks,
Mohan.

From: mist <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Problems with Telnet
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 1999 10:48:29 +0000

David P. Cook <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> scribed to us that -
>I have so far successfully go the eth0 interface set up and I am able to
>ping both
>NT and linux machines. I also can telnet from linux over to the NT box. But
>when it
>comes to telneting into the Linux box I  have a problem. When I try to
>Telnet into
>my Linux box I get this
>
>Red Hat Linux Release 5.2 (Apollo)
>Kernel 2.0.36 on an i486

That means that the connection is being accepted.  8-)

>Then after 60 seconds the I lost connection. No username prompt comes up..
>The only place I can think of where the problem is, is with the hosts.allow
>and hosts.deny files.. I have hosts.allow set up as follows
>
>ALL:169.254.50.151

Not sure if it matters, but put some spaces in there
ALL :  169.254.50.151
It doesn't hurt, and it makes it easier to read..

>This is the IP address for my nt box.. The hosts.deny file is empty..
>
>I also tried deleteing the hosts.allow file per a request of somebody at
>work and the problem still presists.

There's no need to do that..

The normal reason for slow Telnet response windoze -> linux is because
the IP for the windoze machine is not in the DNS or /etc/hosts file on
the Linux box, so it can't do reverse-resolution for windoze...

Put the IP for the NT box in /etc/hosts on the Linux machine -

169.254.50.151   windozebox.my.net   windozebox

And see if that solves the problem..  If not make sure that you don't
have any firewall rules stopping data flowing..
--
Mist.

------------------------------

From: mist <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: two computer network, 100% packet loss
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 1999 10:42:24 +0000

Christopher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> scribed to us that -
>Hello, I am trying to setup a mini network with two computers.  I have
>read the instructions from NET-3 and ORA's TCP/IP but I still can't
>get the computers talking.  I am using two DEC ethernet cards (DE200,
>and DE205) that appear to be working with out conflicts.  They
>attached with thin net cable which is terminated at both ends.
>
>I used ifconfig on the first and set the address to eth0 to 172.16.1.3
>with netmask 255.255.0.0. The other computer is eth0 172.16.1.2.

               ^^^^^^^^^^

This should really be 255.255.255.0 for such a small network, or it's
wasteful and inefficient. And you should really use a net part like
192.168.1.* or something else more private, in case you link them to the
'net later.

>On the first machine route -n gives
>Dest   Gateway Genmask Flags   ...     Iface
>172.16.1.2    0.0.0.0     255.255.255.255 UH                      eth0
>127.0.0.0      0.0.0.0  255.0.0.0                U                  lo

I'm not sure those look quite right..  Shouldn't there be a 0 in the
last part of the mask for the 172... bit?  and my mask for the lo
interface looks like 255.255.255.0 though that is unrelated..

<snip>

I'd try taking the thing down and setting it back up again slightly
differently.  Try

ifconfig eth0 down

on both machines then

ifconfig 192.168.1.2 netmask 255.255.255.0 broadcast 192.168.1.255 eth0
up

^^ the above should be one line incase it wraps to two.  Also it might
be slightly syntax incorrect, as I'm trying to do it from memory..

And on the other machine

ifconfig 192.168.1.3 netmask 255.255.255.0 broadcast 192.168.1.255 eth0
up

Again, the above should be one line.

Also check that the IRQs etc are correct for the cards.

Then, for each machine -

route add -net 192.168.1.0

And possibly (I think you could do without this)

route add default gw 192.168.1.[machine number]

Oh, and of course make sure that you don't have any firewall rules in
place that could be interfering with the pings...

HTH
--
Mist.

------------------------------

From: Mike Dean <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,linux.dev.laptop
Subject: Re: CardBus 3Com Ethernet card 3CCFE-575-BT
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 1999 22:33:19 -0500

Tilo,

I got it running by doing the following:

Download the latest pcmcia modules from
   ftp://hyper.stanford.edu/pub/pcmcia

Then, download the latest 3c59x driver from here:
  http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/linux/drivers/3c59x.c

Following the instructions in the latest PCMCIA package.  If you have
any problems, feel free to send me an email.

Mike

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (L J Bayuk)
Subject: Re: HP JetAdmin for RedHat 5.2 (sparc)
Date: 22 Mar 1999 23:14:19 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>Hi,
>
>is there a Version of HP JedAdmin for RedHat 5.2 (sparc) available ???

No, but are you sure you need it? You can print with lpd to JetDirect's,
and you can do some management with telnet and snmp.

------------------------------

From: "John Hardin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Netscape & Freezing
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 1999 20:55:50 -0800

Hans Wolters wrote in message ...
>Hope the following helps. You're not the only one that has the problem
>(see the FAQ on freshmeat). I had trouble too and are now running 2 days
in
>a row without errors

Can you post a URL to where that is discussed, please?

------------------------------

From: Marc W Wilson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Anyone using MediaOne?
Date: 27 Mar 1999 03:46:48 GMT

Hello,
        I would like to ask the group if anyone
here is currently using a Linux box connected to
MediaOne Express' cable modem service?
        I sent an e-mail to MediaOne and asked if
I could hook a Linux machine up to their cable modem
service. Perhaps this was a mistake, but I wanted to
know what they'd say. Well, they said it was not possible.
        However, the Linux mini-howto at:

ftp://metalab.unc.edu/pub/Linux/docs/HOWTO/mini/Cable-Modem

contradicts MediaOne's reply. According to the mini-howto
it's relatively simple to set up the service using Red
Hat (I just got Red Hat 5.2).
        Does anyone here use MediaOne Express with
Linux?

Thanks,
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Andrew Comech)
Subject: Re: Modem problem
Date: 26 Mar 1999 22:23:04 -0500

In article <7dgtpu$l88$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, BDozer wrote:
>Hi,
>I have Diamond Supra 33.6i Voice Modem and I have problems getting it to
>work under Linux. I installed it with the Isapnp tools and it responds to
>commands like : echo "atdt666" > /dev/cua1" but for example Minicom doesn't
>accept keyboard input although everything seem to be set up. Seyon accepts
>keyboard input but there's no output in the terminal window. For example I
>write atdt1111 and nothing appears on the screen but when I press Enter it
>executes the command. What could be wrong?

Hi, maybe you should enable echoing in modem (and also in Seygon??).
You better see the list of AT commands for your modem, but I think ATE1
means "echo on".

Cheese,
Andrew

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Clifford Kite)
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.dial-up,alt.comp.linux.isp
Subject: Re: Help with PPP/MSCHAP80/WINNT connection!
Date: 26 Mar 1999 21:14:08 -0600

Shekhar Patkar ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:

: I'm having a lot of trouble with pppd connecting to a Windows NT 4.0 RAS
: server. Here are the details:

..

: PPP log:

: Mar 25 23:32:39 localhost pppd[586]: pppd 2.3.4 started by root, uid 0

..

: Mar 25 23:33:05 localhost pppd[586]: rcvd [CHAP Success id=0xb ""]
: Mar 25 23:33:05 localhost pppd[586]: sent [IPCP ConfReq id=0x1 <addr
: 0.0.0.0> <compress VJ 0f 01>]
: Mar 25 23:33:05 localhost pppd[586]: rcvd [CCP ConfReq id=0x1 < 12 06 00
: 00 00 01>]
: Mar 25 23:33:05 localhost pppd[586]: sent [CCP ConfReq id=0x1]
: Mar 25 23:33:05 localhost pppd[586]: sent [CCP ConfRej id=0x1 < 12 06 00
: 00 00 01>]
: Mar 25 23:33:05 localhost pppd[586]: rcvd [IPCP ConfReq id=0x2 <compress
: VJ 0f 01> <addr 171.253.1.200>]
: Mar 25 23:33:05 localhost pppd[586]: sent [IPCP ConfAck id=0x2 <compress
: VJ 0f 01> <addr 171.253.1.200>]

Negotiations collapse at this point, the NT has nothing else to say.
The NT has requested the IP address 171.253.1.200 for itself and pppd
has agreed.  But pppd doesn't have an IP address for itself and this
eventually causes pppd to shutdown the negotiations.

The only apparent hitch is that the NT has requested MPPC, a proprietary
Microsoft compression, and pppd rejected it.  Although this should not
be a problem it's possible that the NT PPP implementation is not as
good as it should be.  I'd try the pppd option "noccp" to prevent any
CCP negotiation since the NT and pppd don't have any common compression
algorithms anyway.

--
Clifford Kite <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>                       Not a guru. (tm)
/* 97.3% of all statistics are made up. */

------------------------------

From: "PC" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Help : Ethernet Card
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 1999 22:11:09 -0600

I'm trying to probe 3COM Etherlink XL 10/100, but it has the following
error message. Any idea how to fix it? The card works fine on Win98
on the same machine.
3c59x.c:v0.99E 5/12/98 Donald Becker
http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/linux/drivers/vortex.html
  The PCI BIOS has not enabled this device!  Updating PCI command
0000->0005.
eth0: 3Com 3c905 Boomerang 100baseTx at 0xfc40, 00:60:08:96:23:2b, IRQ 255
 *** Warning: IRQ 255 is unlikely to work! ***
  8K word-wide RAM 3:5 Rx:Tx split, autoselect/NWay Autonegotiation
interface.
  MII transceiver found at address 24, status 7869.
  Enabling bus-master transmits and whole-frame receives.

Date: Fri, 26 Mar 1999 23:57:03 +0800
From: "Maung San Zaw" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: RE: Linux Multimedia & Control Server

Hi folks,

I'm planning to setup a multimedia server based on Linux.

This server will have to be able recieve live video streams from remote
video sources, and relay it to a client web browser, upon request.

I would like to request the opinion and advice of those who have done
similar projects. Here are a few questions that are puzzling me:

1) Can I use HTTP servers like Apache to get the job done?

2) Is it necessary to use middleware, and if so, what kind of middleware?

3) I intend to use C++ (g++) for coding the server. Are there any other
development kits on Linux that are more suitable for this project?

4) I am a complete novice when it comes to video streaming. I've heard about
RealVideo, MPEG, etc. So which encoding/decoding format (or algorithm)
should I use for transfer over not too wide bandwidth (probably 19kbps)?

5) For the client-end, it'll probably be a Java-based video viewer. Any free
classes out there that I can use to view video?

Thanks for any kind advice.

Regards,
MSZ

------------------------------

From: kyhm <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: winmodems
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 1999 08:24:40 -0800

Bill Unruh wrote:
> In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Paul Carver) writes:
> >drivers. I read an article that suggested that software modems may be
> >the wave of the future however. The author based this assertion on the
> >increasing power of CPUs in single user machines and there may be some
> >sense in his position. The processing power to "modem" at 56K is
> >relatively constant. As CPU continue to increase it will take a
>
> Yes, I remember seeing article like that 10 years ago-- then it was
> about printers.
>
> Controlers for modems are so cheap ( the processing power of those old
> chips is pleanty for a modem, and the cost of say an 8086 is by now dirt
> cheap) that it makes no sense to burden the cpu with the job.  This too
> shall pass.

  Agreed.  Take for example the Amiga architecture, where there were
several co-processors (video, sound, disk, etc) to take load off the
CPU.  In the last 7 years or so PCs have been been going the same way
with accelerated video, wavetable sound, and intelligent disk controller
chips.

  The biggest advantage is that I can swap operating systems to my
heart's content, swap CPUs, motherboards, and other hardware in and out
of machines, wipe and reinstall the OSs, etc. and when I need a driver
or program, I can still dial the Net to download it.

  Winmodems are a cheap hack and don't work well enough to justify the
minimal savings from buying one.

--
   Morgan Hughes
   C programmer and highly caffeinated mammal

------------------------------

From: "Tan Kiat Seng" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: problem with casting sockaddr structure to sockaddr_in
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 1999 12:27:20 +0800

Hello,
I  was trying to understand the Linux (af_inet.c) 2.2.1  codes and was
analyzing the function inet_bind..... The problem is I can't understand
how the char data[ ] field in sockaddr is represented.
After casting to sockaddr_in structure, the field sin_port and sin_addr are
extracted straight away from the sockaddr structure..
Can anybody helps to explain to me ????
I advance my thank you.

please reach me at    [EMAIL PROTECTED] .....well if possible...

kiatseng

------------------------------

From: "Eugene" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Modem
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 1999 04:18:36 GMT

"software based" means it only works in winblows 95

--
"Ein Folk, ein Reich, ein Fuhrer" - Adolf Hitler
"One World, one Web, one Program" - Microsoft's slogan

news:7dhj0c$f3j$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "Gerhard" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: SAMBA - Can't Logon to Server
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 1999 23:36:10 -0500

Benjamin,

Yes, I think that makes sense, I have arrived at this conclusion myself.
There does seem to be another option though, and that is to use server mode
and have the NT DC take care of it.  Are there any downsides to that that
you can think of?

Gerhard

Benjamin Grimm wrote in message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
>hallo,
>
>schau mal bei www.suse.de in der supportdatenbank nach (suchbegriff :
samba).

------------------------------

From: "¥v´£ªâ" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Dialup server setup
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 1999 11:47:26 +0800

Hi to all,

Is there any dialup server program/tools for Linux (X11 or console)? Or i
can directly use commands/tool in Linux
I'm trying to build a RAS server using linux (redhat 5.2), but cannot find
any resources to setup...
Thx

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: In need of VT320 terminal emulation on Linux
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 1999 16:53:12 GMT

You should try Anota Java Terminal V2.0. Its a Java client with full VT320
support and it works great on Linux. Try http://www.anota.com or
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

From: JCA <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: IP masquerading & domain names
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 1999 04:55:05 GMT

    I have two Linux boxes connected to the Internet. One of them is
directly connected
and enables the other to gain Internet access by means of IP
masquerading.

    I am confused about the domain name to be used for my internal
network, if any.
I don't think it can be that of my ISP as I have been assigned one and
only one IP
address. Can anybody enlighten me here, please?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (J. Peterson)
Subject: Min Computer hardware when using Linux
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 1999 04:53:48 GMT

I want to set up Linux on a computer just to see how it works and am
wondering what the min. hardware requirements are.  I was planning on
buying a real cheap computer like a 486-100Mhz to use as I wanted to
be free to mess with it and not wanting to mess up my normal computer.
I just plan on hooking the linux box up to the @Home service via a
cable modem and then hook my Pentium 266 to this.

thanks