Linux-Networking Digest #667, Volume #10         Mon, 29 Mar 99 07:13:30 EST

Contents:
  Re: diald problems (Mike Jagdis)
  Re: dlink de220 driver not found (Mike Jagdis)
  Re: Netatalk setup in RH 5.2 ("Patrick Gibson")
  Re: Using Linux instead of NT Server in home environment.... (David Martin)
  Re: Restricting ftp and telnet access ("Patrick Gibson")
  offline mailer for Linux (Michiel Perdeck)
  papd prints to local printer but with 8 minute delay (Martin Stenzel)
  Re: Win98 can't find Samba server (=?iso-8859-1?Q?Bj=F8rn?= Ruberg)
  modem doesn't initialise (Haaino Beljaars)
  Re: Multi-homed machine ("Curt")
  samba via nullmodem cable possible? (Martin Stenzel)
  Re: Automatic start Two Ethernet Card at boot time ???? ("Curt")
  network card failed to detect (Po Tak Chi Stephen)
  Re: Internal Network can't browse the internal Web Server!!!! ("Curt")
  getty manages dial-in but responds already after 1st ring (Martin Stenzel)
  Re: Sound Blaster 128 (Erik Hensema)
  Re: IP forwarding problems (Paul Sturm)
  Re: Help me spend $2,000 on a new Linux-based computer (David Fox)
  Re: Allocating ipfwadm bandwidth (Matt Corddry)
  CONNECTING TO ISP WITH LINUX ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Prioritized IP traffic (Matt Corddry)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mike Jagdis)
Subject: Re: diald problems
Date: 29 Mar 1999 09:05:09 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Scott Gregg wrote:
>I'm having some problems with diald and would appreciate some help.
>
>Diald will dial and connect with no problems if the dialdc up command
>is issued, but no other time.

dialdc is not part of diald but I assume it just sends "up" to
the control fifo?

>If I issue he command dialdc queue after launching netscape and check
>for messages diald has caught 1 impulse but does not act on it.

And dialdc queue does...? Impulses are timer events. Diald shouldn't
bring the link up becasue a timer event occurred. You need to read
the diald documentation and enable filter match logging to see what
packet diald sees and what it thinks it should do about them.

                                Mike

--
    A train stops at a train station, a bus stops at a bus station.
    On my desk I have a work station...

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mike Jagdis)
Subject: Re: dlink de220 driver not found
Date: 29 Mar 1999 09:09:46 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

The DE-220 series is supported by the NE2000 driver. Note that
some 220s are jumper setup, some are soft set up via a DOS program,
some are ISA PNP, some are combinations. When using the NE2000
driver (ne.o) as a module you need to specify the io and irq of
your card.

                                Mike

From: "Patrick Gibson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Netatalk setup in RH 5.2
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 1999 20:46:33 -0800

In article <7dje54$[EMAIL PROTECTED]> , "Michael T. Cavanagh"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I have investigated the Netatalk sites on the web and they are a bit
> vague. They assume more knowlege than this newbie has. I have RH 5.2
> running for our department server (and zipping right along with no
> problems.) My question is... is there a good step-by-step for installing
> this function?

You might have already come across this, but in case you haven't there is a
step-by-step guide to install netatalk at
http://thehamptons.com/anders/netatalk/impatient.html. It is pretty
straight-forward.

I have installed netatalk on several different machines, and for the most
part it works great. When you download it make sure you get the
netatalk+asun package. There are RPMs available, but I've always had better
luck with the source. If you have any problems installing it, drop me a line
-- I'd be glad to help.

> I notice an appletalk message when the kernel boots. Does this mean I
> don't have to recompile the kernel? Can netatalk be run as a module
> (since its traffic will be light?)

That's correct. Netatalk needs Appletalk support. If you get that message
when you boot, it means that you do have Appletalk support enabled. Netatalk
runs as a daemon, not a kernel module, so it is always running (just like
sendmail is). It uses little memory, so you shouldn't have to worry about
anything like that.

Patrick

---| iThink therefore iMac |----------+
 patrick gibson (patrick @ gibson.org)
 url: http://patrickgibson.com/
======================| got iMac? |===+

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David Martin)
Crossposted-To:
microsoft.public.windowsnt.misc,microsoft.public.windowsnt.setup,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup,micorosft.public.outlook
Subject: Re: Using Linux instead of NT Server in home environment....
Date: 29 Mar 1999 07:01:14 GMT

In article <#H7f6dVe#GA.267@cppssbbsa03>,
        "Alexander I. Butenko" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> Well,, I'd beter think that there is a Server for the client, not
> vice-versa. And one more - the question was about the OS for the home. MOst
> hom eusers can't even properly configure Win98, so the most correct answer
> about the Server was not linux but WIndows NT. Anyway I do not wasn to
> continue this flame as most of this group members seem to gain nothing from
> it.

If most people can't even set up win98 at home, what hope have they with NT?

If you want to see how easy it is to set up a home network, with IP
masquerading, firewalls etc. I would reccommend John Sery's book 'Linux
Network  Toolkit' (IDG) which comes with all the software you need to get it
going. Starts off with simple networks and works up to workgroup size complex
ones.

..d

------------------------------

From: "Patrick Gibson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Restricting ftp and telnet access
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 1999 20:53:55 -0800

In article <7dkkci$ptc$[EMAIL PROTECTED]> , "Tom Hennen III" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> I have a new linux server set up.   I want to allow users to ftp into their
> home directory so they can update it.  However, I do not want them to be
> able to leave that home directory e.g. I don't want them looking at what
> they should not passwd file etc... I would also like to disallow telnet
> access for these users.  I have them set up as ftp users and popusers so
> they can send/receive mail.  Any hints?

wu-ftpd, the default FTP server Linux comes with, is a real drag to setup
with this sort of behaviour. I run ProFTPd (http://www.proftpd.org/) which
makes things *really* easy to setup restrictions like a chroot jail.

If you get ProFTPd and are having problems setting up the chrooted jail,
drop me a line and I'll send you what I have in my configuration file which
will accomplish what you want.

If you want to disallow telnet access for a given user, just set their shell
to /bin/false, like so:

patrick:x:500:500::/home/patrick:/bin/bash

...would become:

patrick:x:500:500::/home/patrick:/bin/false

From: Michiel Perdeck <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: offline mailer for Linux
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1999 08:34:22 GMT

I am looking for an off-line mail program for Linux, preferably text-based.
Does that exist?

Regards, Michiel

From: Martin Stenzel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: papd prints to local printer but with 8 minute delay
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1999 12:36:06 +0200

Hi there,

this is a problem with the papd from the netatalk package:

My configuration:
Non-PostScript printer (Canon BJ-200e) attached to my Linux box (dev/lp1)
Apple iMac attached via Ethernet to my Linux box

My problem:
I can print without problems from my Linux directly to the printer.
Now I want to send print jobs from my Mac to the printer
I think I set up everything correctly with the help of Mike Pearson's
Ghostscript/Netatalk HOWTO. Now this is what my /var/log/messages says:

Mar 26 21:36:52 orangina papd[478]: child 580 for "orangina-bj200e" from
41201.173
Mar 26 21:36:52 orangina papd[580]: lp_conn_unix connect /dev/printer:
Connection refused
Mar 26 21:36:52 orangina papd[580]: lp_print: lp_conn_unix: Connection
refused
Mar 26 21:36:52 orangina papd[478]: child 580 done

The funny thing is, about *eight minutes* later the printer does print
exactly what I want it to print. There are no more error msgs then.
(I disabled background printing on the Mac).
This behaviour I could reproduce for several times.

What is missing?
I am printing as user h0444xyv and my atalkd.conf looks like:

orangina-bj200e:\
:pr=ps:op=h0444xyv:pd=/etc/PPD/APLWNTR1.PPD:

I put the host name of my Mac into /etc/hosts.lpr, is this of relevance?

The status file and the lock file I made (temporarily) read- and writeable
to anyone. Still I am stuck.

Any hints would be great,
Martin.

--
Martin Stenzel ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
13156 Berlin - Germany

------------------------------

From: =?iso-8859-1?Q?Bj=F8rn?= Ruberg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Win98 can't find Samba server
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1999 08:42:39 +0200

Derek M Streeter wrote:

> Bjørn Ruberg wrote:

[snip]

> > If I am not terribly mistaken, you will have to change your "interfaces"
> > setting to the network (not the IP address) of the Linux running Samba.
> > The "interfaces" setting should be somewhat like
> >      interfaces = 192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0

[snip]

> No, no!  Here's an excerpt from the smb.conf manpage:
>
> INTERFACES:
>     This option allows you to setup multiple network interfaces, so that
> Samba can properly handle
>     browsing on all interfaces.
>     The option takes a list of ip/netmask pairs. The netmask may either be a
> bitmask, or a bitlength.
>     For example, the following line:
>
>     interfaces = 192.168.2.10/24 192.168.3.10/24
>
>     would configure two network interfaces with IP addresses 192.168.2.10
> and 192.168.3.10. The
>     netmasks of both interfaces would be set to 255.255.255.0.

[snip]

> -Derek

Sorry, my fault. (Seems I *was* terribly mistaken...) I usually don't
use the interfaces option, and I didn't take the time to check the man
pages :-(

However, on a Linux running Samba (with IP address x.x.x.3) I set the
interfaces option to x.x.x.0/24 and it runs quite fine but is a little
slow. Once in a while (quite often, really), /var/log/messages reports
"Waiting for 3c509 to discard packet, status 2001.". Could that be
because I had set the interfaces option incorrectly? (Yes, I have set
the correct options now.)

Thanks -

--
Bjørn Ruberg / http://traktor.nlh.no/beorn

Remove the .no_spam for my email address

"The more you scream the less you hear"    * f i s h *

------------------------------

From: Haaino Beljaars <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: modem doesn't initialise
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1999 12:44:01 +0200

hi,

I've got a strange problem. My modem has stopped initialising. It worked
perfectly, but now when I start minicom or try to fax my modem fails to
initialise. When I try to fax with 'fax send ....' it gives the
following error:'input/output error', minicom doesn't 'say' anything, it
just does nothing. When I initialise under dos it works perfectly. I
have tried everyuthing, there is no lock on the modem, initialisation
code is correct, /dev/modem and /dev/fax is connected to /dev/cua3 .
What do I do wrong? What should I check? Please help me.

ps. I have a RH 5.2 system with 2.0.36 kernel

--
Greetings from Haaino Beljaars

Home Page:      HTTP://www.phys.uu.nl/~beljaars/

I am pro Open Source Software

------------------------------

From: "Curt" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Multi-homed machine
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1999 05:47:11 -0500

IP masquarading (kernel 2.0) or IP chaining (kernel 2.2)

http://metalab.unc.edu/LDP/HOWTO/mini/IP-Masquerade.html
http://metalab.unc.edu/LDP/HOWTO/IPCHAINS-HOWTO.html

------------------------------

From: Martin Stenzel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: samba via nullmodem cable possible?
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1999 12:45:58 +0200

Hi there,

currently  I am trying to set up my Linux box as a Windows for
Workgroups file server.

Now, my Linux box and my WfW box are connected via a nullmodem cable.
Right now I am using Trumpet Winsock to teach my WfW comp TCP/IP using
Slip.
Everything works fine with this configuration.

Now my problem: To set up Samba I have to use the Microsoft TCP/IP
stack, haven't I?
When I tried to install the package my WfW comp complains that it cannot
install TCP/IP capability using a nullmodem cable. It demands an
Ethernet card.
Well, TCP/IP is possible using Trumpet Winsock, though!

Any hints would be of great help, since I already searched some
databases :(

Thanks, Martin,

From: "Curt" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Automatic start Two Ethernet Card at boot time ????
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1999 05:51:03 -0500

Try adding 'append' line  to (with corrections for your setup) to
/etc/lilo.conf

boot=/dev/hda
map=/boot/map
install=/boot/boot.b
prompt
timeout=50
image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.0.36
        label=linux
        root=/dev/hda2
        append= "ether=10,300,eth0  ether=11,280,eth1"
        read-only
other=/dev/hda1
        label=dos
        table=/dev/hda

Also make sure the cards are setup correctly.  Usually best to use DOS
utility software
that came with the card.   Usually best to turn-off PNP.

James Kei wrote in message <7dn9jt$rnq$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
>My Redhat 5.1 kernel find two ethernet card. But the configuration script
>only set eth0. So I have to manuel set the second by "ifconfig" command.
How

------------------------------

From: Po Tak Chi Stephen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: network card failed to detect
Date: 29 Mar 1999 03:21:19 GMT

The network configuration part of the RedHat 5.2 installation fails to
find my ISA network card.

In win95, my network card driver is NE2000 and compatible, using
0240-025F,
with IRQ 11.  So, I choose NE2000 and compatible card, io=0240, IRQ=11 in
the configuarion program.  But a message said that it can't be detected.

Any possible cause? What should i do?

------------------------------

From: "Curt" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Internal Network can't browse the internal Web Server!!!!
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1999 05:55:20 -0500

Please post the results of the command route or netstat -rn.

Make sure you have a route to your local network.

------------------------------

From: Martin Stenzel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: getty manages dial-in but responds already after 1st ring
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1999 12:53:36 +0200

Hi there,

I want to enable dial-in  to my Linux box via the POTS line using an
internal modem.

To do that I followed the Serial-HOWTO.

Everything works fine except that my modem takes over already after the
first ring.
Now, I want to lead an ordinary phone call, too, but my modem is faster.

How can I set up getty (using the conf.getty.ttySx file?) to let the
modem answer after, let's say, the 6th ring?

Thanks in advance, Martin.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Erik Hensema)
Subject: Re: Sound Blaster 128
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1999 13:00:58 +0200

El Hombre ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
>How do I get my SB128 to work under Linux.

Even if you get it to work, networking isn't possible.

--
Erik Hensema ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Paul Sturm)
Subject: Re: IP forwarding problems
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1999 05:13:03 GMT

On Thu, 11 Mar 1999 23:37:54 -0500, "Michael D. Cencula"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Follow the other suggestions to get ip masquerading working. Ping will not
>work from the internal network to the outside world. :(  Be sure that the
>machines on the internal network are NOT set up to access the internet
>through a proxy server.

Sure it will.  I can ping anything on the planet.  Just set up in your
win98 Control panel Network with the Gateway as the inside of your
Linux box (192.168.x.x) and set up DNS as your service privider told
you.

------------------------------

From: d s f o x @ c o g s c i . u c s d . e d u (David Fox)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Help me spend $2,000 on a new Linux-based computer
Date: 29 Mar 1999 03:39:37 -0800

Jet <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Am I the only one who doesn't like big monitors? I don't like
> anything bigger than 15".

Quite possibly.
--
David Fox           http://hci.ucsd.edu/dsf             xoF divaD
UCSD HCI Lab                                         baL ICH DSCU

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 28 Mar 1999 23:34:57 -0800
From: Matt Corddry <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Allocating ipfwadm bandwidth

wre wrote:

> is there a (simple) way to allocate priority/bandwidth that clients on a
> lan get connecting to the net via a linux box running ipfwadm ?
>
> Werner

kernels 2.2.x support QoS (quality of service) which allows you to set
rules as to how packets are queued in a routing/forwarding setup. I
haven't used it yet, so I don't know how explicit you can get... I'm
sure there's someone else here with better experience.

matt

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: CONNECTING TO ISP WITH LINUX
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1999 11:35:51 GMT

Modem - Us Robotics Sportster
SuSE ver 5.1

When connecting to my isp, the line terminates a few seconds after  I connect
with a message "ppd daemon died unexpectedly" I have written scripts like
'expect' ogin.. send ...  but still not successful.  Can anyone please show
me a tried and tested way of connecting without any hassle?

Thanks

Date: Sun, 28 Mar 1999 23:50:05 -0800
From: Matt Corddry <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Prioritized IP traffic

"Mark L. Smith" wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Some of the more advanced firewalls and routers I've seen have had a
> concept of prioritized traffic (only allowing certain traffic through
> when there is idle bandwidth available).
>
> I've seen configuration like:
> 1) Drop the priority of all traffic between IP addresses x.x.x.x and
> y.y.y.y (great for a machine that backups up data and then tries to move
> it off site).
>
> 2) Drop the priority of all TCP traffic on port x (great for mail
> servers talking to the outside world).
>
> 3) A combination of both.
>
> Anyone done anything like this with Linux as a router or as a firewall?
>
> Thanks!
>
> -Mark

There were some other posts about this here... basically, look at QoS
support in the 2.2.x kernels.

matt