From: Simon Griffiths <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: ISDN / BT Speedway Problem (HiSax/Fritz)
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 1999 14:47:07 +0100

Heeeeeelp.....

I've currently got a 2.2.5 kernel with modular support for IDSN/HiSax
(Fritz)
and a BT Speedway PCI card. All looks fine....

but I get :

Apr 10 14:10:23 localhost kernel: ISDN subsystem Rev:
1.55/1.47/1.55/1.33/none/1.2 loaded
Apr 10 14:10:24 localhost kernel: HiSax: Driver for Siemens chip set
ISDN cards
Apr 10 14:10:24 localhost kernel: HiSax: Version 2.8
Apr 10 14:10:24 localhost kernel: HiSax: Revisions 2.18/2.7/2.5/2.13/2.7
Apr 10 14:10:24 localhost kernel: HiSax: Card 1 Protocol EDSS1 Id=Fritz
(0)
Apr 10 14:10:24 localhost kernel: HiSax: AVM driver Rev. 2.7
Apr 10 14:10:24 localhost kernel: AVM A1: Byte at 7c00 is ff
Apr 10 14:10:24 localhost kernel: AVM A1: Byte at 7c03 is ff
Apr 10 14:10:24 localhost kernel: AVM A1: Byte at 7c02 is ff
Apr 10 14:10:24 localhost kernel: AVM A1: Byte at 7c00 is ff
Apr 10 14:10:24 localhost kernel: HiSax: AVM A1 config irq:9 cfg:0x7C00
Apr 10 14:10:24 localhost kernel: HiSax: isac:0x7800/0x7400
Apr 10 14:10:24 localhost kernel: HiSax: hscx A:0x6800/0x6400  hscx
B:0x7000/0x6C00
Apr 10 14:10:24 localhost kernel: AVM A1: ISAC version : 2085 V2.3
Apr 10 14:10:24 localhost kernel: AVM A1: HSCX version A: ???  B: ???
Apr 10 14:10:24 localhost kernel: AVM A1: wrong HSCX versions check IO
address
Apr 10 14:10:24 localhost kernel: HiSax: Card AVM A1 not installed !
Apr 10 14:10:24 localhost kernel: ISDN-subsystem unloaded

everytime I try to load the HiSax module with...

modprobe -v hisax io=0x6400 irq=9 protocol=2 type=5 id=Fritz

The io and irq settings are what NT4 thinks they are, and the card works
great in NT !

also 'insmod isdn' loads fine too !

Does anyone have any ideas ?

Thanks in advance,
        Simon.

------------------------------

From: Michael J Surette <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux as NetWare Server?
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 1999 09:47:41 -0400

"David R. Christianson" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> This may sound wierd, but is there any package that will make Linux act
> like a NetWare server (like samba does for NT)? There is no productive
> reason why I want to do this, except to try something different and
> maybe do some performance comparisons.
>
> Dave

mars-nwe (Martin S - netware emulator) will do this.  You can find it on
sunsite & mirrors under pub/Linux/system/filesystems/ncpfs.  You might
also need the ncpfs package.

------------------------------

From: Nick B. <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: mounting /usr via NFS with RedHat?
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 1999 15:08:59 GMT

In article <7en7q1$527$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Georg Schwarz) wrote:
> Has anybody already modified the RedHat 5.2 startup and shutdown procedure
> to allow for a machine to mount /usr via NFS from a server and still start
> up and shut down properly?
> --
> Georg Schwarz ([EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED], PGP 2.6ui)
> Institut für Theoretische Physik  +49 30 314-24254   FAX -21130  IRC kuroi
> Technische Universität Berlin            http://home.pages.de/~schwarz/

Hi Georg:

If I understand correctly, you want to be able to mount via NFS a remote
filesystem and not have anything bad happen when your machine reboots.
Correct?

I believe that you should look at the section of the man page for mount that
deals with the options "hard", "soft", and "intr". You probably will want to
mount using "hard,intr" options, since this allows any process writing to the
filesystem to continue when the connection is reestablished. But, at the same
time, the user can interupt the process if desired.

In addition, you may want to investigate the "rsize" and "wsize" options in
an effort to optimize the speed of reads and writes to the NFS mounted
partition. I wrote the following little script to time various rsize,wsize
combinations. It writes the timing results to a file that you can then peruse
to determine the best set of parameters for your network/drive. You attention
should be directed at comparing the "elapsed" times for the different sets of
rsize,wsize parameters. (You will need to alter the definitions at the top of
this shell file to suit your own needs.)

The following line is my line from /etc/fstab to NFS mount a remote partition
named /user1 on machine euler: euler:/user1  /tmp/euler/user1  nfs
noauto,rsize=8192,wsize=8192,hard,intr 0 0

The following is the shell file to time reads and writes at various rsizes
and wsizes. The results log file can be read to determine the settings of
rsize and wsize for your installation.

#!/bin/bash
# nfs.test - Time reads and writes to a NFS mounted partition under
#            various rsize,wsize parameters. I recommend performing
#            this test several times and taking the averages of
#            corresponding timings.
#
# ----------------------------------------------------------------------
#

# ----------------------------------------------------------------------
# Preliminaries:
#   (Change the following definitions to time a different NFS mounted FS)

DIRECTORY="euler:/user1"
MOUNTPT="/tmp/euler/user1"
FILE="testnfseuler"
TESTDIR="/root/System"
RESULTS="$TESTDIR/nfs.test.euler.results"

# ----------------------------------------------------------------------
# Begin by either creating or appending to an already existing log file:

cd $TESTDIR
# Comment out the following 2 lines in order to just append to the
#   results file:
# 'rm' $RESULTS
# echo " " > $RESULTS

echo " " >> $RESULTS
echo "**************************************************" >> $RESULTS
echo "Testing NFS timings..." >> $RESULTS
echo " " >> $RESULTS
echo "Start NFS testing..." >> $RESULTS

# ----------------------------------------------------------------------
# Testing rsize,wsize=1024...

echo " " >> $RESULTS
echo "Testing rsize,wsize=1024..." >> $RESULTS
cd $MOUNTPT/..
umount $MOUNTPT
mount >> $RESULTS
mount -o rw,rsize=1024,wsize=1024,hard,intr $DIRECTORY $MOUNTPT

cd $MOUNTPT
'rm' $FILE
df >> $RESULTS
mount >> $RESULTS

echo " " >> $RESULTS
echo "Test Writing..." >> $RESULTS
time dd if=/dev/zero of=testnfseuler bs=16k count=8192 >> $RESULTS 2>&1
echo " " >> $RESULTS
echo "Test Reading..." >> $RESULTS
time dd if=testnfseuler of=/dev/null bs=16k >> $RESULTS 2>&1
echo " " >> $RESULTS

# ----------------------------------------------------------------------
# Testing rsize,wsize=2048...

echo " " >> $RESULTS
echo "Testing rsize,wsize=2048..." >> $RESULTS
cd $MOUNTPT/..
umount $MOUNTPT
mount >> $RESULTS
mount -o rw,rsize=2048,wsize=2048,hard,intr $DIRECTORY $MOUNTPT

cd $MOUNTPT
'rm' $FILE
df >> $RESULTS
mount >> $RESULTS

echo " " >> $RESULTS
echo "Test Writing..." >> $RESULTS
time dd if=/dev/zero of=testnfseuler bs=16k count=8192 >> $RESULTS 2>&1
echo " " >> $RESULTS
echo "Test Reading..." >> $RESULTS
time dd if=testnfseuler of=/dev/null bs=16k >> $RESULTS 2>&1
echo " " >> $RESULTS

# ----------------------------------------------------------------------
# Testing rsize,wsize=4096...

echo " " >> $RESULTS
echo "Testing rsize,wsize=4096..." >> $RESULTS
cd $MOUNTPT/..
umount $MOUNTPT
mount >> $RESULTS
mount -o rw,rsize=4096,wsize=4096,hard,intr $DIRECTORY $MOUNTPT

cd $MOUNTPT
'rm' $FILE
df >> $RESULTS
mount >> $RESULTS

echo " " >> $RESULTS
echo "Test Writing..." >> $RESULTS
time dd if=/dev/zero of=testnfseuler bs=16k count=8192 >> $RESULTS 2>&1
echo " " >> $RESULTS
echo "Test Reading..." >> $RESULTS
time dd if=testnfseuler of=/dev/null bs=16k >> $RESULTS 2>&1
echo " " >> $RESULTS

# ----------------------------------------------------------------------
# Testing rsize,wsize=8192...

echo " " >> $RESULTS
echo "Testing rsize,wsize=8192..." >> $RESULTS
cd $MOUNTPT/..
umount $MOUNTPT
mount >> $RESULTS
mount -o rw,rsize=8192,wsize=8192,hard,intr $DIRECTORY $MOUNTPT

cd $MOUNTPT
'rm' $FILE
df >> $RESULTS
mount >> $RESULTS

echo " " >> $RESULTS
echo "Test Writing..." >> $RESULTS
time dd if=/dev/zero of=testnfseuler bs=16k count=8192 >> $RESULTS 2>&1
echo " " >> $RESULTS
echo "Test Reading..." >> $RESULTS
time dd if=testnfseuler of=/dev/null bs=16k >> $RESULTS 2>&1
echo " " >> $RESULTS

# ----------------------------------------------------------------------
# Cleanup...

echo " " >> $RESULTS
echo "Cleanup..." >> $RESULTS

cd $MOUNTPT
'rm' $FILE
cd $MOUNTPT/..
umount $MOUNTPT
mount $MOUNTPT

echo " " >> $RESULTS
df >> $RESULTS
mount >> $RESULTS
cd $TESTDIR
echo " " >> $RESULTS
echo "End NFS Testing..." >> $RESULTS
echo " " >> $RESULTS

From: "Jey Kottalam" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: CANT GET SMC1211TX CARD TO WORK UNDER LINUX
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 1999 15:22:31 GMT

What driver do I use to connect my SMC 1121TX card under linux?? I have
looked on the web but no one has the answer. PLEASE HELP! email me at
[EMAIL PROTECTED] if you have a solution!

-Jey Kottalam

------------------------------

From: Michael J Surette <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: sendto: routing mess
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 1999 10:03:49 -0400

MalayJ wrote:

> I feel I have no idea why I am adding a default route, an explanation would
> help.
>
> -- Malay

Your routing table determines where ip packets are sent to on the network.  The
default route is where packets which are unspecified in your routing table will
go.  In your case where you have only one network interface, all you will have
is a route to your loopback address, your ppp connection, and a default route
through your ppp connection.  That way traffic for say www.yahoo.com will go
through your ppp interface, even though no specific route for it exists.

HTH

------------------------------

From: Michael J Surette <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: DNS IP Question
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 1999 10:09:01 -0400

Ham Radio OP wrote:

> I think I found my answer//////
>
> With AT&T doing the reverse order for the address, I will need them to
> put my in there with a ptr record.  Does this sound right???

This is exactly what needs to be done, and part of what a good DNS master
should do.

------------------------------

From: Michael J Surette <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Problem with outbound e-mail on 2.2.5
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 1999 12:03:18 -0400

"Gary S. Mackay" wrote:

> Since I upgraded my RedHat 5.2 box to the newest
> ppp/kernel/diald/dialmon/etc., my users have been able to do everything
> except send mail. No matter what OS, email client, etc they use, NO
> email will go. They can browse (masq is working), receive e-mail, ftp,
> newsgroups, etc., they just can not send mail. As a test I setup an old
> 486 with the stock RedHat 5.2 (2.0.36) w/ ppp-2-3-5, and everything
> works just fine. I guess one solution is to leave well enough alone, but
> being a computer geek, I'd like to know why the new stuff won't work.
> (Same modem, phone line, ISP, etc.) Any ideas?
>
> --
> Edison Information Technologies
> P.O. Box 554
> Milan, OH  44846-0554
> 419.499.7040
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> --

You need an mta running.  On Stampede/Slackware which I am familiar with
that would be sendmail.

Another possibility is that your ipfw isn't allowing port 25 traffic
through.

HTH

------------------------------

From: Michael J Surette <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Network Printer (Linux + MacOS + HP JetDirect)
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 1999 12:08:40 -0400

We have three different kinds of HP printers at work with JetDirect cards.  I set
the IP address of each of them through the printer control panel.  Look for an MIO
configuration item in the menu.

HTH.

From: "Cameron Spitzer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Linux network security issues?  Re: qmail hell
Date: 10 Apr 1999 16:15:42 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
William R. Mattil <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Steve Vertigan wrote:
>
>> if you care at all about security you don't run sendmail.
>
>This is paranoia. While sendmail has had security issues so have loads of other
>applications. In fact, Linux itself has had many security problems as has NT
>workstation and server.

I've heard that from time to time, but the details are always lacking.
Looking for my distribution in the Bugtraq archive, I see a broken ftpd.
Rootshell advises us to remove suidexec, but it's only a local hole,
not a vulnerability from the network.
That's it for this year.  Nothing on Qmail at all.
(I don't use Sendmail because it's too complicated.  Complicated programs
are easier to misconfigure.  Bugtraq is full of Sendmail issues.)

Is there some other list I should be looking at?
I'd appreciate it if someone who is up on the "many security problems"
of "Linux itself" would post a list of the biggest security holes
found over, say, the last year, so we all know what to upgrade.

Cameron

------------------------------

From: Larry Benoit <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: 3c509B and 3c905B in same box
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 1999 08:26:12 -0400

oops, also wanted to suggest you remove the options line in /etc/conf.modules for
the
3c509B, assuming the card is set to factory defaults (irq=10 and io=0x300). For
some reason, I found the 3c509B produces an initialization error if you specify the
IO address (e.g. can't find symbol, blah, blah), although the irq option works OK
(mine is set to irq=5). Perhaps others have not had this difficulty, but dropping
the IO option solved my problem with this card.

As far as I know,  you should not have an entry in lilo.conf, unless you have
compiled the 3c509B driver into the kernel. Since you appear to loading the driver
as module, the setup belongs in conf.modules only.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Renaud)
Subject: 100baseT 3Com adapter problem - works fine under Windoz but not Linux
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 1999 16:17:26 GMT

Can anyone help?

I have the following setup:
- 3Com 3c905 B 100Mb/s ethernet adapter
- Newly installed RedHat Linux 5.2
- 4 port 100Mb/s RJ45 hub
- staright and twisted network cables
- all network parameters configured properly (TCP/IP, fixed IP
address, gateway, DNS etc)

The card works properly under win98
The card works properly in 100Mb/s mode when I connect it to another
PC using a crossed twisted pairs cable
but the card does not work when I connect it (with a straight twisted
pairs cable) to my 100Mb/s (only) hub.
It seems that the cards sets itself to 10Mb/s (which does not work on
my hub) when I connect it to it.

Cables have been tested and are fine, the hub always worked and still
does, but I cannot get the damned 100Mb/s link led  on when I connect
to it.

I don't know if I make any sense, but if someone knows how to force
the card to put itself in 100Mb/s mode at boot, then I will be happy.

Thank you,

Renaud.

==================
report from ifconfig:
eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:10:4B:2A:4B:A6
          inet addr:128.1.0.6  Bcast:128.1.0.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
          collisions:0
          Interrupt:9 Base address:0xf600
==================
exerpt from dmseg:
3c59x.c:v0.99E 5/12/98 Donald Becker
http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/linux/drivers/vortex.html
eth0: 3Com 3c905 Boomerang 100baseTx at 0xf600, 00:10:4b:2a:4b:a6,
IRQ 9
  8K word-wide RAM 3:5 Rx:Tx split, NWay Autonegotiation interface.
  MII transceiver found at address 24, status 786b.
  Enabling bus-master transmits and whole-frame receives.

------------------------------

From: John Murtari <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.system
Subject: Re: RH5.2, Solaris and NFS
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 1999 00:25:03 -0400

Yes, we are experiencing NFS "hangs" between Solaris and Linux, fairly
busy systems we get problems 2-3 times/day will loss of one of the
mountd's.
Finally, we just put a monitor in place to make sure NFS daemons hadn't
stopped running, and to restart them if they had.  Have seen no
corruption,
but most of our stuff is READ only.

Have seen other people noticing this, but have not seen any comments
from
anyone "in the know" from either Linux Folks or Sun on a solution.

John Murtari
http://www.thebook.com/

--
                                                  John
Customer Service                 Sofware Workshop Inc.