My sad tale continues !

Having managed, thanks to your help, to configure eth0, i find I can
ping the Windoze boxes on my net with

        ping 192.168.0.X

but that trying  ping boxname gives me nothing;

I have checked that my /etc/hosts file has a line

192.168.0.2 boxname 0 #0

What else could / should I look for that is missing ?

TIA,

Ron the Newbie, on the sunny banks of the Paraguay River.
--

Renaud OLGIATI                               No act of kindness,
Cerro Cora 3662                             no matter how small,