On Wed, 12 Jul 2000, Richard Adams wrote:

> Not really a silly question, however if the files are in /root roots home
> dir, then you will comprimise /root as a private unreadable directory to
> other users, this because you would have to change permissions of not only
> the file in /root but /root itself.

I now see how I should have phrased my query: From the security point of
view, are there any problems if other users can access the content of /root
?

I thought that the sensitive system files (passwd and similar) were hidden
somewhere else anyway.

Cheers,

Ron the Frog, freezing on the sunny banks of the Paraguay River

--

                      There is no time like the pleasant.

              ---  http://personales.conexion.com.py/~rolgiati  ---