At 12:03 PM 8/6/00 -0400, Dances with Turtles wrote:
>I can not get my new linksys 10/100LNETX  card to be recognized by
>Linux.  It works fine under windows.  Let me also
>state that my prior Linksys ether16 ISA card was working perfectly prior
>to my 'upgrade.'
[details deleted]

Well ... your more detailed post makes it clear why you're finding this
process frustrating. You've pretty much tried almost everything I'd say to
check. I'm left with 3 thoughts ...

1. You say the card works under Windows but not under Linux. Does this mean
you have a dual-boot host? If so, the BIOS may be set wrong for Linux -- it
should say NO for the Plug-and-Play OS question.

2. Have you tried the card in more than 1 slot? In my experience (not just
with Linksys), some card/slot combinations work, others don't.

3. You probably did this right, but just in case ... you are using a a tulip
module from the same compile as the kernel, right? Not just the same kernel
humber -- the same actual compile.

These suggestions are ... to use your own word ... "pathetic". Afraid it's
all I can think of, though.

Getting the wrong manufacturer name in the lspci output is a commonplace
problem and indicates nothing of consequence. My Lynksys shows up as a
"Lite-On", for example.