On Thu, Oct 27, 2011 at 03:21:47PM +0200, Mike Frysinger wrote:

> my gut reaction: smsc911x is working just fine without regulator
> support for many people, so why do we suddenly need to make it a
> requirement ?  this is a fairly small amount of code, so adding a
> smsc911x Kconfig symbol to control the regulator support seems like
> overkill.  only other option would be to change the patch to not make
> missing regulators non-fatal.  so i'd probably lean towards the latter
> (and it sounds like you changed this with earlier versions).

The regulator API contains a series of generic facilities for stubbing
itself out when not in use - there's no need for individual drivers to
worry about this stuff, they should just rely on the framework.  The
main one at the minute is REGULATOR_DUMMY which does what you suggest
and makes regulator_get() never fail.