On Wed, Mar 21, 2012 at 11:39:57AM -0700, Tony Lindgren wrote:
> * Porter, Matt <mpor...@ti.com> [120321 11:27]:

> > > Hrm?  Adding regulator supply mappings anywhere other than the
> > > initialisation for a specific board would be extremely unusual and
> > > rather suspicious.

> The issue here is that we don't want to copy paste the dummy fixed
> regulator all over the board-*.c files, and we don't know how the
> real regulator is wired up.

Well, I don't think it's too unreasonable especially now we've got
the fixed helper stuff which slims it right down - it makes it clear
there's a missing thing that might need to get filled in and makes it
easier to use the same regulator for other devices.

> > Just to be clear, here is the thread on the board-specific approach:
> > https://lkml.org/lkml/2012/2/8/415

> We should use the real regulator if passed from board file.

> And if no real regulator is passed, just use the dummy fixed regulator
> in gpmc-smsc911x.c.

Yes, it should definitely be conditional.

> This patch I posted should fix the situation and allow adding the
> real regulators to board-*.c files when they become known:

> http://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-omap/msg66714.html

That should be changed to pass in a boolean flag rather than a pointer
to platform device - the board may not have direct access to the
relevant regulator (eg, if it's part of a MFD) or the regulator may be
on another bus like I2C (for simpler regulator only devices).