May be I am missing something here,

Isn't _setup_reset() function asserts ocp_reset? And it is core_initcall.

> I am a little unclear as to why this needs to have anything to do with
> the precise under-lying mechanism (hwmod or something else). May be
> "both seem to be different to me" needs a little further elaboration?

GPIO is connected to the DDR VTT control pin, and we have observed that
Due to GPIO bank reset as part of hwmod init during bootup.

> Is this because there is no need for an EMIF driver to handle DDR? and
> reset of the GPIO will occur as EMIF is configured at bootloader and
> there is no need to do that in kernel, correspondingly there is no
> "driver" to hold the gpio?
> > >
> > > Ideally, it would have been much better if drivers starts handling
> > > Idle, ocp reset and standby on their own (killing dependency on
> hwmod
> > > init layer).
> > >
> > > But looking at current state,
> > > I agree we need to use DT property here, so how about
> > > Adding DT property  to GPIO node itself. But we have to parse
> I believe you mean at OMAP specific  DT property for hwmod?
> something like ti,hwmod-no-init-reset?

That’s the idea.

> > > It early during hwmod init stage. We should read all DT nodes
> > > Inside function __setup() function, that way can get rid of
> > > HWMOD_INIT_NO_RESET flag completely. Also, this will handle
> > > Both ocp_reset and domain reset.
> > >

> > Forgot to mention,
> >
> > Since this is kernel boot failure issue, I think,
> > By the time we reach to conclusion, another approach is to
> > set "HWMOD_INIT_NO_RESET" flag For GPIO0 bank.
> a) if the GPIO gets moved over to some other GPIO bank on another
> platform,
> this wont work

Yes that’s true, but such schematic interface is not recommended.
And we have not seen any known side-effect of not resetting GPIO0 bank.

> b) for platforms that dont use gpio to hold DDR power, maybe this is
> not
> even relevant and the GPIO bank can safely be reset?

As I mentioned, there is no known side-effect of not resetting GPIO bank 0.

Thanks,
Vaibhav