On Sun, Jul 28, 2013 at 7:33 PM, Javier Martinez Canillas
<martinez.jav...@gmail.com> wrote:

> According to Documentation/devicetree/bindings/mmc/mmc.txt:
>
> cd-gpios: Specify GPIOs for card detection, see gpio binding
>
> So it just says that it is a GPIO for card detection and not an IRQ so
> this assumption comes from either the omap_hsmmc driver or Alexander'
> DTS is missing something like:
>
>                 interrupt-parent = <&gpio6>;
>                 interrupts = <16 8>;
>
> which will call irq_create_of_mapping() and the mapping for the
> GPIO-IRQ will be created, thus making
>
> irq = gpio_to_irq(gpio);
> request[_threaded]_irq(irq, ...);
>
> to succeed.

So if I understand this correctly, the issue is that some out-of-tree,
i.e. unreviewed DTS files are not following the style of the in-tree
DTS files, which mandate attributing the consumer drivers with
interrupts=  and therefore they fail?

I don't feel we have an obligation to support any strange DTS
files out there, and the ones that are in-tree for the reference
designs should showcase the vast majority of expected
usecases for DT boots. Else please add more DTS files for
ever more systems so we get proper coverage, don't be shy :-)

I wish we already had the DTS schema parser and checks
in place. In that case I could just ask if the DTS is well-formed,
and you could say "yes" or "no", and if it was no, it's just an
invalid DTS file.

Yours,
Linus Walleij