Hi all,

I've just found out how to get access to a proper shell on the DRAC.
Even if you're not interested in the firmware, you might find this
useful as it gives you another machine to play with, e.g. to SSH out of
the DRAC to other machines, or ping/traceroute to diagnose faults.

The key came from reading part of the source that made reference to a
'vendor mode'.  Although all code referring to vendor mode has been
removed from the racadm source, luckily I had already discovered how to
enable it via the undocumented 'racadm util' command (apparently there
is also a hardware jumper for this, which incidentally allows you to log
in as racuser/calvin should you ever forget your password.)

Once vendor mode is active you will be able to run 'su' to become root,
which suddenly makes all shell commands available!

An example:

ssh root@<drac>
$ su
-sh: su: not found
$ racadm util mode -set vendor
$ racadm util mode -isvendor
Vendor mode is ENABLED
$ su
$ uname -a
Linux drac 2.4.26 #2 Fri Aug 22 18:06:24 UTC 2008 mips unknown

You can use "racadm util mode -clear" to disable vendor mode again.
It's probably not good to leave it enabled unless you're well firewalled
as it will allow anyone to log in as racuser/calvin and power off your
server.

At any rate, I'm very happy now :-)

Cheers,
Adam.