Hi,

I've had an R210 recently to set up for a client and thought I'd share
the power consumption figures that I recorded with the list.

Basically, very impressive results IMO, when you consider the last R200
(X3220) which I set up used 135-odd watts idle...

Disks: 2x 250G Seagate ES.3 SATA
RAM: 8G in 4 sticks (not sure if it was 1066, or 1333 DDR3)
CPU: L3426
Kernel: Debian 2.6.30-bpo.2-amd64
Supply voltage: 240
Ambient Temp: 20 degrees

Idle in Linux (no CPU freq scaling, HDs asleep): 0.19 amps / 33 watts

Idle in Linux (no CPU freq scaling): 0.2 amps / 40 watts

With 100% CPU usage (on all 4 cores): 0.38 amps / 82 watts

With 100% CPU usage (on all 4 cores), whilst doing a sequential read
from both hard disks with "hdparm -t": 0.38 amps / 81 watts

With 100% CPU usage (on all 4 cores),and having issued an "ipmitool mc
reset cold" command (to get the fans to full power), whilst doing a
sequential read from both hard disks with "hdparm -t": 0.46 amps / 114 watts

With 100% CPU usage (on all 4 cores),and having issued an "ipmitool mc
reset cold" command, whilst spinning-up both hard disks having
previously put them to sleep with "hdparm -Y": 0.56 amps / 131 watts

I could probably get the CPU/mem power usage up a little bit higher, as
my CPU loading was a bit simplistic (burnBX + memtester).

The CPU frequency scaling module doesn't seem to load.  This is either
because Dell's BIOS doesn't support it, or it Dell's BIOS cpu frequency
interface doesn't work with the Debian Lenny kernel.

More to follow...

Cheers,

Tim.

--
South East Open Source Solutions Limited
Registered in England and Wales with company number 06134732.