On Sunday December 3, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> I'm new to the raid under linux world, and had a question.  Sorry if several
> posts have been made by me previously, I had some trouble subscribing to the
> list...
>
>  I successfully installed redhat 6.2 with raid 0 for two drives on a sun
> ultra 1.  However i'm trying to rebuild the kernel, and thought i'd play
> with 2.4test11 since it has the raid code built in, but to no avail.  while
> it will auto detect the raid drives fine from what i can tell, the kernel
> always panics with "EX2FS Unable Ro Read Superblock"  any thoughts on what i
> might be doing wrong that is causing this error.  sorry if this has been
> brought up before
>
> dave
>
> -

Details might help.
e.g. a copy of the boot logs when booting under 2.2.whatever and it
working, and similar logs with it booting under 2.4.0test11 and it not
working, though they may not be as easiy to get if your root
filesystem doesn't come up.

There were issues in the 2.2 raid code on Sparc hardware which may
have been resolved by redhat, and may have been resolved differently
in 2.4.
Look for a line like:

  md.c: sizeof(mdp_super_t) = 4096

is the number 4096 in both cases?  If not, then that is probably the
problem.  It is quite possible that raid in 2.4 on sparc is not
upwards compatible with raid in redhat6.2 on sparc.

NeilBrown